2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour irons

Konklifer

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent a couple hours in the shop. Hit the mp-5's, jpx900 forged and tours, in every shaft brand they had. Came down to the c-taper 130 X and the project x lz 6.5, ended up going with the project X LZ 6.5 in the JPX900 Tour head, 1/4" long, 3-PW. I was getting around 16* launch angle with the projects and only 13* with the c-taper, which makes sense. Liked the 16* of launch better, touch more backspin and same distance, think I made a good choice. Swing Speed was consistent at 90mph, carrying around 200 yards, spin 5400rpms, lil baby draw every time. Also got a T7 58-8 wedge thrown in to try out, see if it can knock out the SM5's.

Now the wait till summer...

Awesome, that's the setup I'd get. 900 forged with LZ 6.5.

So I hit my 900 Tours a bit more today. Still cannot hit them for crap :)

I had the 8 iron and PW checked on a decent SW machine. So they are 3/4" over length and come out at D1 - wtf?! I am used to playing D4-D5 AP2s. No wonder I cannot feel the heads in the swing and the comment amount the club's having no "heft". Oh well - lesson learned. Back to AP2s...

So update on my new 900s And the light swing-weights I was biatching and moaning about last month...

So initially I kept hitting my 714 AP2s at the range but started taking a few 900 Tours with me. They were just too darn sexy looking to just sit unused in my office! Long story short I eventually got used to their D2 swing weights and felt like my swing changed a bit from "hitting" with the AP2 to "swinging" the 900 Tour.

Now full judgment is reserved until I get them out on the course and see how they perform....unfortunately that seems like months away in snowy New England :(

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I was fitted today at Royal Birkdale, with Brian, the head pro for a new set of Mizuno irons. What a top guy! Very laid back and relaxed through the whole process.

I was moving from mp63 x100 and open to all (most) suggestions. My aim was to narrow my misses.

I'd tried px 6.5 previously and though they were boardy in feel. Much better today, with the jpx tour head. I tried mp5 too but wasn't consistent enough. I tried mp25 but found it a little ungainly at address and didn't get on with it. I hit good shots with my current set and both mp5 and jpx 900 tour options but the misses were better with the tour and px 6.5 so I've gone with these. Ball speed slightly up with the new combo but only a hair- I haven't bought them for a distance gain- bought for the misses being less painful.

The fitting itself with a mizuno performance centre was excellent as I expected. Very patient, clear and you see the "journey" through to the conclusion and a clear "winner". Hitting on the range into a 30mph certainly highlighted any "off's" and dispersion- much lower with the new shafts for me. I just hope I have them for my trip to Portugal with the guys at the end of the month.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5 w Diamana Blue 60x
Titleist 917 F2 15 w Rogue Max 75S
Mizuno MP-H5 w PX 6.5
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour w PX 6.5
Mizuno T5 Wedges w x100 DG
Odyssey Works Tank Versa Wide #1 Putter

Nice irons. Very hard for me to take Mizuno seriously as they have zero custom options. So until they catch up to the big boys its a pass as usual for me.

What options were you missing? They seemed to have all bases covered and no upcharge on anything - shafts or grips- for me today?

Mizuno MP-H5 w PX 6.5

It is interesting to see the majority of Tour Pros who are choosing to play Mizuno irons are chose the 900 Tours over the MP-25 MP-4s, or the MP-5s. They truly are beautiful...hope they have less of that Boron feel and more of the traditional MP feel.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

To be honest, even the tours feel a bit firmer than my mp63's BUT they perform better for me on miss hits. I can sacrifice that 1-2% feel for that.

Mp25's are quite large in look and a little "numb" in feel compared to my currently clubs. mp5 feel like a trickier version to hit which is probably about right. On my day, I would love the mp5 but we have more off days than hot ones so I had to walk away. The tours are the best balance for me currently.

Mizuno MP-H5 w PX 6.5

Has anyone here switched to the jpx 900 tour from a set of Callaway apex pro 16, srixon z765, or the 716 ap2?

Those are the 3 sets I feel like I know the best right now, just curious how they would compare. I'm torn between getting a set of 900 tour and waiting for the Mizuno fall release to see what they come out with. (aren't they coming out with something new then?)

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

It is interesting to see the majority of Tour Pros who are choosing to play Mizuno irons are chose the 900 Tours over the MP-25 MP-4s, or the MP-5s. They truly are beautiful...hope they have less of that Boron feel and more of the traditional MP feel.

Why would they have a "boron feel", if they have no boron? And why do you find it interesting that a Tour player would select the 900Tour over MP25's? Those 2 irons are not in the same ball park, and one you are suggesting they would like over the Tour does have Boron, and is considered a shovel by some. Don't let the JPX moniker fool ya, the Tours are tougher to hit than MP5's. The 900T 9-P is where Mizuno dialed it in with a great compact head, which i am sure is part of the appeal to a Tour Player.

Non one feels boron in the irons that do have them, they just know it is not a traditional soft MP feel.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Has anyone here switched to the jpx 900 tour from a set of Callaway apex pro 16, srixon z765, or the 716 ap2?

Those are the 3 sets I feel like I know the best right now, just curious how they would compare. I'm torn between getting a set of 900 tour and waiting for the Mizuno fall release to see what they come out with. (aren't they coming out with something new then?)

I switched from the 714AP2 - close enough to 716AP2. The 900 Tour is less forgiving than the AP2 but feels much softer. It's closer to the 716CB in feel and forgiveness. Really nice to look down on and in the bag. Just inspires confidence! I am seeing similar distances and ball flight to the Ap2. Overall, so far, more enjoyable to play. As Warrick mentions Mizuno really fixed the historically ugly MP short irons in the 900 line and I love the PW. Have not said that about a Mizuno PW since the MP14. I have the 900 Forged model in 5, 6, 7 iron (bent weak) so cannot comment on long iron forgiveness of the Tour model.

For the clubs you mention in your post the 900 Tour will be the least forgiving. I would seriously consider the 900 Forged model as an option as well.

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I switched from the 714AP2 - close enough to 716AP2. The 900 Tour is less forgiving than the AP2 but feels much softer. It's closer to the 716CB in feel and forgiveness. Really nice to look down on and in the bag. Just inspires confidence! I am seeing similar distances and ball flight to the Ap2. Overall, so far, more enjoyable to play. As Warrick mentions Mizuno really fixed the historically ugly MP short irons in the 900 line and I love the PW. Have not said that about a Mizuno PW since the MP14. I have the 900 Forged model in 5, 6, 7 iron (bent weak) so cannot comment on long iron forgiveness of the Tour model.

For the clubs you mention in your post the 900 Tour will be the least forgiving. I would seriously consider the 900 Forged model as an option as well.

I tested the 900 forged, I didn't like the feel, and the look wasn't for me. The z765 felt much better, and looked nicer as well (and were just as forgiving)

I have a set of mp 64 that I bring out once in a while, would they be tougher to hit than those? I used to play 716 cb, and I still play a set of Callaway X Prototype MB Blades. I can't imagine the 900 tour would be any tougher than those, I would think it might be more forgiving? Honestly, I am still thinking of switching to the MP 5 instead of the 900 tour. It sounds like some people are saying the mp 5 is more forgiving.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I tested the 900 forged, I didn't like the feel, and the look wasn't for me. The z765 felt much better, and looked nicer as well (and were just as forgiving)

I have a set of mp 64 that I bring out once in a while, would they be tougher to hit than those? I used to play 716 cb, and I still play a set of Callaway X Prototype MB Blades. I can't imagine the 900 tour would be any tougher than those, I would think it might be more forgiving? Honestly, I am still thinking of switching to the MP 5 instead of the 900 tour. It sounds like some people are saying the mp 5 is more forgiving.

The 5's are more forgiving up and down the face. You will not be punished as badly missing a groove high or low, you will on the 900 Tour. That is just my opinion, but have owned both sets, still own 5's.

I am really enjoying the 900F.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Yes, a bit odd. I think the MP5 is a MB that plays like a CB, and the 900T is a CB, that plays like a blade.

Others feel the opposite and think the 5 is less forgiving. I think the 900T feels fantastic, maybe not a soft as the 5's, but a great feel. The 900T's look so good in the 9-P, better then the 5's. I actually like the 9-P in the 900F better than the 5's also.

All good stuff, kinda splitting hairs at this point.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• 2 months later...

My head pro had a Mizuno demo day at our club a couple of weeks ago. I swung the JPX 900 Tour, the MP25 and the MP5. I disliked the look of the MP25 quite a lot. In regard to the MP5 and JPX Tour, I didn't see a lot of difference between the two. For me, the MP5 launched ever so slightly lower than the JPX Tour. The JPX Tour for me was a little easier to swing (i.e. marginally more forgiving) and flighted the ball just a bit higher. Feel to me was a toss up. Well struck shots with both felt super soft and smooth and slight misses gave you just enough feedback not to want to repeat it. Both are more forgiving than my current 716 MB. I finally caved in and put in my order for a set of 3-P JPX Tours and a freebie T7 51* wedge with Modus 105X shafts in over the weekend. I'm really looking forward to getting them in for a real head to head comparison with my MB's.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I must say, Mizuno takes the cake for fastest custom order delivery ever in my experience. I got the e-mail from my head pro Friday that my irons were in. Played yesterday and today with them and I am quite happy with them. The feel is excellent, the looks, while not quite as svelte as my Titleist MB's, is still very good. Thin and trim where it needs to be and a little more substantial likewise. The thing that impressed me the most was the Modus 105 X shafts. They're so easy swinging it's stupid. Between the JPX heads and the Modus shafts, I finally get what everyone was banging on about with Mizuno feel. The biggest gripe that I have about these is that I'm going to have to spend some time re-learning my distances as I seem to be noticeably longer than with my Titleist MB's. I assume that it's a product of the lighter shafts giving me just a shade more head speed through the ball.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I have been coveting the new JPX 900's from afar and finally got around to getting fitted and attending a demo.

Currently playing JPX 800 Pro with TT XP reg shafts, 8 GA Hcp playing twice a week.

From the reviews and pics etc I thought I would be right in the slot for the Forged model but after hitting a few with the blue thing on the shaft, the Mizuno guy tells me I am recommended to try either the MP 25's,the Tour, or the Forged.

First up I tried the MP25"s and it was apparent over 20 balls that I wasn't a consistent enough striker. Pure was very pure but bad was ugly.

Then I tried the Forged. I immediately wasn't keen on the Forged at setup because I could see a little of the cavity back. They also looked a bit clunky compared to even my 800's. I hit them ok but not really any better than my 800's.

Then I tried the Tour. Pure was very very pure and bad was playable. All three had the KBS 95 xp tour ss300 in them. .

So what's my problem? I really like the feel, look and of course the Mizuno sound of the Tours but I feel to get the most out of them I have to improve my contact consistency a bit.

I think I know the answer but slap me anyway. BTW the distance thing is there and over the 6 iron I'm probably 5 yards shorter than the 800's, but who cares when they sound and look like they do and you know the number. If my partner is stupid enough to ask me "what did you hit?" I lie anyway :-)

I really need to consider trying Mizuno. A long time ago in a city far far away, I had Mizuno t-zoids. Now, I'm going to be looking for a new set of irons to replace my TaylorMade Rac TP Combo irons. Initially, I thought I'd try true CB irons for the first time (like Callaway Steelhead XR Pro), but Mizunos just look so darn pretty!

I really need to consider trying Mizuno. A long time ago in a city far far away, I had Mizuno t-zoids. Now, I'm going to be looking for a new set of irons to replace my TaylorMade Rac TP Combo irons. Initially, I thought I'd try true CB irons for the first time (like Callaway Steelhead XR Pro), but Mizunos just look so darn pretty!

Mizuno irons vs Callaway irons is no contest in the looks department. To me the Mizuno competitor for the Steelhead is the JPX 900 Hot Metal and I would choose the HM in a heartbeat.

The Apex Pro would be the comparison to the 900 Tours. I think the Pro is a little easier to hit than the Tour, but not as easy as the 900 Forged.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Mizuno irons vs Callaway irons is no contest in the looks department. To me the Mizuno competitor for the Steelhead is the JPX 900 Hot Metal and I would choose the HM in a heartbeat.

The Apex Pro would be the comparison to the 900 Tours. I think the Pro is a little easier to hit than the Tour, but not as easy as the 900 Forged.

Hitting my irons well has never been a problem. I was just curious about a larger cavity back iron style. So, maybe the 900 tours or MP5 could be worth looking into.

I had the 8 iron and PW checked on a decent SW machine. So they are 3/4" over length and come out at D1 - wtf?! I am used to playing D4-D5 AP2s. No wonder I cannot feel the heads in the swing and the comment amount the club's having no "heft". Oh well - lesson learned. Back to AP2s...

So update on my new 900s And the light swing-weights I was biatching and moaning about last month...

So initially I kept hitting my 714 AP2s at the range but started taking a few 900 Tours with me. They were just too darn sexy looking to just sit unused in my office! Long story short I eventually got used to their D2 swing weights and felt like my swing changed a bit from "hitting" with the AP2 to "swinging" the 900 Tour.

Now full judgment is reserved until I get them out on the course and see how they perform....unfortunately that seems like months away in snowy New England :(

I currently game 714 AP2s and am very interested in the 900 Forged or Tour. How do they compare??

I currently game 714 AP2s and am very interested in the 900 Forged or Tour. How do they compare??

They are awesome :). So good that I also bought a full set of 900 Forged to go with my 900 Forged/Tour combo. I prefer the combo slightly. My son just switched from 716 AP2 to a Forged/Tour combo and loves them!

Just took me a while to get used to the lighter weight and I think that was what my initial biatching was due to coming from some very heavy AP2 irons! They are just much more foregiving than the AP2, have better turf interaction and feel better. The Tour are the best looking irons in golf IMHO and the Forged are decent looking.

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag