2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour irons

Konklifer

Just go buy a set of MP5's. They feel better than either and are more forgiving up and down the face then the 900 Tour. A lot of talk about the look of the 9-P, but feel and performance easily trump that.

Thanks for the response! I tried pretty much all the heads in the Mizuno fitting cart. Unfortunately just was not a fan of the 5, 15 or 25. Was really disappointed I did not like any of these but to be honest have not been a fan of the MP series since MP32 and MP60 days. I always played Mizuno irons with my all time faves being MP14 but they kind of lost me around the MP 62 and have been AP2 since then. Different strokes I guess. I also did not like the Srixon irons either which makes me very much in the minority.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a fitting and for me the MP5 won over the JPX900 tour. For me they were more forgiving. Feel wise very similar, I just found the middle of the club face a lot more with the MP5. Tried modus 105 stiff and Project X LZ 6.5. Went for the PX LZ. Just gotta wait for them to be built now :)

Sweet! How long does it take Mizuno to turn around custom orders like this? Going to order my setup this weekend...

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Anymore updates and feedback on the 900 Tours (or even the 900 Forged)? I spent over an hour on our range hitting the Tour and Forged 6 irons on Weds both with Modus 105x - NXT Tour Range balls. Doing a comparison head to head the Tour feels so much better than the Forged but it's noticeably less forgiving and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 club shorter.

Once you start hitting the Forged you do quickly get used to the somewhat harder feeling and to be honest it's really no different to the feel of my Ap2s. Plus the length and forgiveness is hard to argue with.

So my dilemma is do I just get a whole set of Forged or do I combo in Tours for 8 to PW and if so how do I bend the irons to transistion these? Or in true WRX style maybe I just buy both sets :)

Just go buy a set of MP5's. They feel better than either and are more forgiving up and down the face then the 900 Tour. A lot of talk about the look of the 9-P, but feel and performance easily trump that.

Agreed, and I'm not even a blade guy. MP5 all around better than the 900 Tour for me.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I've just had a fitting and for me the MP5 won over the JPX900 tour. For me they were more forgiving. Feel wise very similar, I just found the middle of the club face a lot more with the MP5. Tried modus 105 stiff and Project X LZ 6.5. Went for the PX LZ. Just gotta wait for them to be built now :)

Sweet! How long does it take Mizuno to turn around custom orders like this? Going to order my setup this weekend...

Pretty quick turn around time from Discount Dan's, they probably have the best price, and even another $50 off if you spend $800. If you order tomorrow should have by 8th-9th at latest.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Im in the UK, I got told 7-10days. Had a go with the mizuno shaft optimiser again earlier today and the 3 recommended shafts were C Taper Lite 115X, PX 6.0, PX LZ 6.0. Tried the C Taper and the LZ shaft. Both gave pretty much exactly the same results but i felt i got a bit more feedback out of the PZ LZ

I love all the premadonnas on this board who can't play one of the many shaft options from mizuno and b**** because they don't have the more exotic shafts available for free. Club fitting has turned some of you guys mental. You are amateur golfers. Your swing needs fixed not your shaft.

lol, how true.......the swing is always the issue, club is rarely the cause...but people are consumers more so than workers....and good swing takes a lot of work

I really want a set of these irons. Actually demo'd them with the recoil shafts and loved them. Anyone ever gone graphite in their irons? Any thoughts? I know they're supposedly far more consistent than they used to be. I'm a low handicapper but don't have a ton of swing speed and the graphite shafts might help me justify buying these instead of the Apex's.

You can't go wrong with recoils! They perform just like a steel shaft if not better for most people. It's all about weight when you go to graphite. If you like that 95 gram weight class I would say those shafts are almost a better choice than kbs tour 90 or xp 95... Especially since they are no upcharge!

When I got fitted Wednesday I had every intention of going graphite, specifically the Recoils. Turns out I ended up ordering irons with Project X LZ tour graphite - go figure!

Well after a month of play with the new graphites they just didn't work out for me - one club shorter! Placed XP-95s in them, got my distance back and now they're keepers!

Handicap:  3

• 1 month later...

Last 3 sets, mp68, jpx800pro, jpx825pro. Thinking I am due for an upgrade, is there a big difference between the 900 tours and the forged besides the stronger lofts? If i bent the forged to the tour specs, would they be fairly equal?

Ping G410 LST - Tensi CK Series 60 X-Stiff
Ping G400 3W - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 62G
Srixon ZX 2i - UST Recoil 95 X Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X Catalyst 100CW 6.5 100g
Mizuno MP-T7 - 50,54 - Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58, KBS HI-REV Flex
Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Tour Line
1.2 HC

Last 3 sets, mp68, jpx800pro, jpx825pro. Thinking I am due for an upgrade, is there a big difference between the 900 tours and the forged besides the stronger lofts? If i bent the forged to the tour specs, would they be fairly equal?

Forged would be more forgiving and have a different turf interaction than the Tour. I couldn't really tell a "feel" difference between solid strikes with these two because they both felt perfect. [insert Mizuno tag line]

I've gotten in a handful of rounds with these and I think these might be keepers. Such solid irons but on days I'm not swinging well or it's cold, the C Taper 130x might be a little much. But overall it's a great setup.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I am hearing mixed reviews about how the mp5 compares to the jpx900 tour -- those of you that have hit both, which are more forgiving??

Me personally the MP5s were superior in every way - Forgiveness, distance, feel, etc.

Edit: Although I think the 900 Tours are the best looking iron around, so if that's your thing then you can't go wrong with them.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Had my first taste of the 900 Tours the other day, felt great but rounded toe put me off

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

Hi everyone, been reading this site extensively the past few months, just joined. 1st post.

Built a set of these using Nippons 105x shafts. Was puring them with good numbers at a fitting and various Mizuno fitting stations. Didnt care mich for the C-Tapers and unfortunately Mizuno doesnt carry the other Nippons (120,125,130) un their kits. Was happy with the dhaft combination but after two rounds out (in less than ideal conditions), these shafts are sending the ball much higher than I'm used to. As for the clubs, great compact look, so far easy to work side to side. Had a few toe hits and lost 6-10 yds on those but they held a solid line still. Beautiful clubs but looking for the perfect combination of shaft, likely in the 120-130g range. Recommendations? I have some Px 6.0s from another set, going to swap 1-2 shafts in a few weeks for comparison.

Hi everyone, been reading this site extensively the past few months, just joined. 1st post.

Built a set of these using Nippons 105x shafts. Was puring them with good numbers at a fitting and various Mizuno fitting stations. Didnt care mich for the C-Tapers and unfortunately Mizuno doesnt carry the other Nippons (120,125,130) un their kits. Was happy with the dhaft combination but after two rounds out (in less than ideal conditions), these shafts are sending the ball much higher than I'm used to. As for the clubs, great compact look, so far easy to work side to side. Had a few toe hits and lost 6-10 yds on those but they held a solid line still. Beautiful clubs but looking for the perfect combination of shaft, likely in the 120-130g range. Recommendations? I have some Px 6.0s from another set, going to swap 1-2 shafts in a few weeks for comparison.

The 105's are doing exactly what they're designed to do. They were made to give a mid to high ball flight. I personally love the 105's due to their feel. During my fitting, they were borderline on height but I liked it. The 95's on the other hand was causing me to many ballooned shots.

Maybe try the 120's or 130's. I gamed the DG X100 for 7 years and the 120/130 give the same ball flight the X100's did.

I only went with the 105's because I still required a X-Stiff staff but my tempo has slowed over the past 7 years to the point where it felt like I wasn't fully loading the X100's. With the 105X's, I feel like I am fully loading them. They just feel so effortless. It's hard to explain but I almost felt like I was working to hard to get the ball up with the X100's over the past couple years. It feels so effortless with the 105's.

Just built my set about 10 minutes ago.

Coming from MP64's, I took my 64 heads out of my C Taper's and put the JPX 900 Tours on them.

They look the same, obviously the finish is different but size and topline almost identical. Will report back performance on Saturday when I get to the dome.

I like golf. A lot.

The 105's are doing exactly what they're designed to do. They were made to give a mid to high ball flight. I personally love the 105's due to their feel. During my fitting, they were borderline on height but I liked it. The 95's on the other hand was causing me to many ballooned shots.

Maybe try the 120's or 130's. I gamed the DG X100 for 7 years and the 120/130 give the same ball flight the X100's did.

I only went with the 105's because I still required a shift staff but my tempo has slowed over the past 7 years to the point where it felt like I wasn't fully loading the X100's. With the 105X's, I feel like I am fully loading them. They just feel so effortless. It's hard to explain but I almost felt like I was working to hard to get the ball up with the X100's over the past couple years. It feels so effortless with the 105's.

Have an 8i 130 shaft on-hand I'm going to compare it against, and while not great I'm gonna toss an old TM 8i on project x 6.0 also. Will onow by the end of the weekend what I'm going to do. Hopefully have some better conditions too.

I bought a set of these to compare to my iblades, same specs. These look awesome, and yes, they feel awesome. But, they sting more on mis hits and lose more distance than the iblades. Great irons, but top to bottom, the iblades are my go to this year.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Finally ordered my combo set today:

- Forged 5 - 7 iron. +1 deg weak loft

- Tour 7 to PW +1 deg strong loft

All shafted Modus 105X, +2 deg up, + 3/4" length

Really could not decide where to split the set so bought a 7 iron in each set :)

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

First post - thought I'd contribute.

Long time Mizzy player. Have played MP-67s for about 10 years. Was dead set on the new MP 5s until I hit the 900 Tours. Felt softer and a bit more forgiving. Don't think I could have gone wrong with either - but opted for the 900's. I actually preferred the look of the MP-5s.

Will report back after my FLA golf trip in March.

I have two rounds and 9 holes in with these. Given I went from +2" to +1" it took me a little while to adjust but last night I played a twilight nine holes and started striking these clean and man it was a thing of beauty. I hooked one shot that I was sure would miss the green completely but ended up about 12 feet left of the flag. I don't notice any huge yardage differences to any other irons on Mishits but left to right missed don't happen between these irons and the ctaper lite shafts

First post - thought I'd contribute.

Long time Mizzy player. Have played MP-67s for about 10 years. Was dead set on the new MP 5s until I hit the 900 Tours. Felt softer and a bit more forgiving. Don't think I could have gone wrong with either - but opted for the 900's. I actually preferred the look of the MP-5s.

Will report back after my FLA golf trip in March.

I feel like half of people say the tours are more forgiving, the other half say the mp5's are more forgiving. Quite interesting.

I'm leaning towards upgrading after 10 years of my TM MB's but not sure which mizzy set to roll with. You guys arent helping :(

Finally got to hit these today on a simulator -

They feel simply amazing. It was like I was just thickening my shot tracker line on the screen, because every shot I hit seemed to be taking the exact same trajectory!

They're far from strong lofted - traditional for sure. I was flying 7 iron 160 on straight shots, 165 on draws.

I'd rank them (feel wise) above everything I've ever hit - including the MP line (4,5,etc), Titleist MB's, etc.

Forgiveness was also top notch - the long irons are what really surprised me. They didn't come w/ a 3-iron, but if they did it wouldn't scare you one tiny bit.

Thin top line, without being blade-thin, and the powder coating results in a beautiful iron w/ zero chance for glare.

Picture this - a car, that gets Prius gas mileage - with Subaru safety ratings - with a Ferrari engine - with Rolls Royce interior - and top it off w/ the sleek exterior of a Lamborghini or Bugatti.

Now picture this - an iron, that's forgiving yet compact - with butter soft feel - with a thin top line - that inspires confidence - and top it off w/ a sleek and subtle matte powder coat.

These irons look like they should be more expensive than PXG - elegance and grace at its finest.

They feel simply amazing. It was like I was just thickening my shot tracker line on the screen, because every shot I hit seemed to be taking the exact same trajectory!

They're far from strong lofted - traditional for sure. I was flying 7 iron 160 on straight shots, 165 on draws.

I'd rank them (feel wise) above everything I've ever hit - including the MP line (4,5,etc), Titleist MB's, etc.

Forgiveness was also top notch - the long irons are what really surprised me. They didn't come w/ a 3-iron, but if they did it wouldn't scare you one tiny bit.

Thin top line, without being blade-thin, and the powder coating results in a beautiful iron w/ zero chance for glare.

Picture this - a car, that gets Prius gas mileage - with Subaru safety ratings - with a Ferrari engine - with Rolls Royce interior - and top it off w/ the sleek exterior of a Lamborghini or Bugatti.

Now picture this - an iron, that's forgiving yet compact - with butter soft feel - with a thin top line - that inspires confidence - and top it off w/ a sleek and subtle matte powder coat.

These irons look like they should be more expensive than PXG - elegance and grace at its finest.

So just come out and commit one way or the other.....Do you like them or not?

What shaft you hit em with?