Drewtaylor21's Golf Journey (Swing Changes, WITB, Results)

drewtaylor21

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video! Kinda how I chip as well. Maybe less wrist set on way back then weight of club sets wrists on downswing (the way iteach taught me).

What course is that? Can't figure it out.

Highland Falls, their putting green by the first tee. You know, the one with two signs that say "no chipping" :)

(I only hit 4-5 low running chips, for any superintendents who may be out there....haha)

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Nice video! Kinda how I chip as well. Maybe less wrist set on way back then weight of club sets wrists on downswing (the way iteach taught me).

Highland Falls, their putting green by the first tee. You know, the one with two signs that say "no chipping" :)

(I only hit 4-5 low running chips, for any superintendents who may be out there....haha)

I was told it's less about the health of the grass and more about people's inability to chip competently, thus endangering the ankles of those on the green putting ?

Too late. I have notified the starter. He'll be around to teach you flatbellies a thing or two about respect.

Interesting. Looks Peter Finch like in technique, if I remember his approach and I may be wrong. I think you are still engaging the bounce but I get what you are saying when you distinguish the techniques. Funny, just today was working on a little personal 2017 golf goals brochure and one of the entries is "settle on one chipping technique just off the green" - sometimes it's 58 and more air, sometimes old style chip and run on shots that many would argue either is the "right" way. Different but similar dilemma.

Looks great.

Interesting. Looks Peter Finch like in technique, if I remember his approach and I may be wrong. I think you are still engaging the bounce but I get what you are saying when you distinguish the techniques. Funny, just today was working on a little personal 2017 golf goals brochure and one of the entries is "settle on one chipping technique just off the green" - sometimes it's 58 and more air, sometimes old style chip and run on shots that many would argue either is the "right" way. Different but similar dilemma.

Looks great.

I'm not sure what the difference between a brochure and pamphlet is, but I couldn't help but think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8p9vzn2RY

:rofl:

Thank you though! lol

I think you are probably right, there is still some bounce being used with this technique due to the ball being forward. It certainly doesn't ever feel like I'm digging, but I guess it just matches things up a little better for me with AoA. I definitely feel like my wrists are taken out of the equation to a greater degree through impact with the newer technique, which gives me a lot more consistency.

I think you can be very successful with either the chip and run or throw it up in the air approach, just comes down to which is more consistent and/or do you have time to practice them both....

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I have had similar success with this method since you told me about it.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Glad to hear you're still going strong with the short game technique! Get ya a DF putter and you might have to stop using that hashtag of yours... :rofl: :drinks:

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I've mentioned a couple times now that I've made some nice changes/improvements in my short game, so I wanted to share what those consisted of. Pretty simple, IMO, but here's the breakdown:

[media=]

[/media]

I find it works perfectly for chips, both in the rough and from tight lies around the greens. Whenever I focused on using the bounce I would always have to modify my technique out of greenside rough to get a steeper AoA, so it's nice to have just one short game technique that I don't need to adjust based on the lie. Additionally, I've bounced around from feel to feel with the bounce method for the last two years or so, needing a new feel every 2-4 weeks. I'd get a little bladey or chunky, find a new feel and get back on track. I've used this "extended shaft" visual for about a month now and haven't had to change a thing. Consistently great contact. Hope this is helpful for someone!

The Directed Force is definitely proving to be a solid putter. The more I use it the more I'm liking it a lot. I think my expectations were perhaps a bit unrealistic. I thought I would feel more face stability during the putting stroke, and while there is some of that, the difference maker to me seems to be more that the path stays very stable. It almost seems to me that the size and design of the head makes it easier to see peripherally and allows me to swing along my intended target line much easier instead of cutting left like I have a tendency to do. It isn't what I was expecting, but nonetheless it works! I got out to a practice green this morning and hit some putts and I'm 99% sure this will be going in the bag.

Full disclosure for those considering buying, I'd be a little annoyed if I paid $400 + $30 for the online fitting. My fitting was free, I got a discount on the putter, and had some house money to play with going in, so I'm happy. Value is certainly in the eye of the consumer, and it's no doubt a very good putter, but it's not worth $450 IMO. YMMV. If you have the chance to get fit in person, or better yet, demo one for a day, it's definitely worth looking into. It's not magical though, and you still have to set up correctly and put a good stroke on the ball to get the benefits. In another month or two when I'm playing more, if I find I'm making significantly more putts, that opinion could change and I'll certainly update things here, just wanted to give an honest assessment for those reading.

That is the exact method I use when I am chipping my best. I love the UTB for pitch shots but for short chips the body release seems much more consistent.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Wait, you're playing golf again???? ;-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Love the chipping video, bud! One of these days, I'm going to do a short game video to share with everyone. I just love the challenge of the short game, and at my club, there's ample opportunity to use it since the course is so tough around the greens!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Drew what type of putting mat do you have? Need one in my shop.

It looks like a birdie ball 11 stimp green

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Wait, you're playing golf again???? ;-)

I think Pepsi is gonna surprise some people this year :)

Love the chipping video, bud! One of these days, I'm going to do a short game video to share with everyone. I just love the challenge of the short game, and at my club, there's ample opportunity to use it since the course is so tough around the greens!

Thanks Obee - I'd love to see a short game video from you! I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment either!

Nailed it.

It's a little too easy to putt on compared to grass, and a little quicker than the greens I play IRL, but it's a lot better than nothing! At least allows you to get some reps in, which is helpful.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I've mentioned a couple times now that I've made some nice changes/improvements in my short game, so I wanted to share what those consisted of. Pretty simple, IMO, but here's the breakdown:

[media=]

[/media]

I find it works perfectly for chips, both in the rough and from tight lies around the greens. Whenever I focused on using the bounce I would always have to modify my technique out of greenside rough to get a steeper AoA, so it's nice to have just one short game technique that I don't need to adjust based on the lie. Additionally, I've bounced around from feel to feel with the bounce method for the last two years or so, needing a new feel every 2-4 weeks. I'd get a little bladey or chunky, find a new feel and get back on track. I've used this "extended shaft" visual for about a month now and haven't had to change a thing. Consistently great contact. Hope this is helpful for someone!

The Directed Force is definitely proving to be a solid putter. The more I use it the more I'm liking it a lot. I think my expectations were perhaps a bit unrealistic. I thought I would feel more face stability during the putting stroke, and while there is some of that, the difference maker to me seems to be more that the path stays very stable. It almost seems to me that the size and design of the head makes it easier to see peripherally and allows me to swing along my intended target line much easier instead of cutting left like I have a tendency to do. It isn't what I was expecting, but nonetheless it works! I got out to a practice green this morning and hit some putts and I'm 99% sure this will be going in the bag.

Full disclosure for those considering buying, I'd be a little annoyed if I paid $400 + $30 for the online fitting. My fitting was free, I got a discount on the putter, and had some house money to play with going in, so I'm happy. Value is certainly in the eye of the consumer, and it's no doubt a very good putter, but it's not worth $450 IMO. YMMV. If you have the chance to get fit in person, or better yet, demo one for a day, it's definitely worth looking into. It's not magical though, and you still have to set up correctly and put a good stroke on the ball to get the benefits. In another month or two when I'm playing more, if I find I'm making significantly more putts, that opinion could change and I'll certainly update things here, just wanted to give an honest assessment for those reading.

good video, reminds me

1) a lot of Dan's short game video - hinge then thumbs down, your using the bounce but not in a super shallow way

and

2) how I chip, so I thoroughly approve :D

I would also say this is similar to the mickelson hinge and hold, it's not hold all the hinge right the way through like most think and how it sounds, but release most of the angle and then keep the hands moving through the shot, like the stick forces you too.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[media=]

[/media]

good video, reminds me

1) a lot of Dan's short game video - hinge then thumbs down, your using the bounce but not in a super shallow way

and

I would also say this is similar to the mickelson hinge and hold, it's not hold all the hinge right the way through like most think and how it sounds, but release most of the angle and then keep the hands moving through the shot, like the stick forces you too.

This is how I use the bounce too. More than one way to do it. Shallow is key, but I personally don't like the feeling of a vertical shaft at impact. Also, I feel like this way has the potential for more spin, where with the vertical shaft, the ball just kind of softly drops dead. A lot of it is preference.

good video, reminds me

and

This is how I use the bounce too. More than one way to do it. Shallow is key, but I personally don't like the feeling of a vertical shaft at impact. Also, I feel like this way has the potential for more spin, where with the vertical shaft, the ball just kind of softly drops dead. A lot of it is preference.

It's interesting, I have been using what I thought was Dan's short game technique for the past 2 years or so, but this is definitely a different feel for me through impact and the follow through. It LOOKS like what Dan was after though, so in all likelihood I was just doing things incorrectly before. Previously I had my weight more centered and more release through impact, whereas now I feel like I'm preventing a full release (don't let the stick hit you) and weight is much more on the left side. Consistency is so much better for me this way.

Agreed that it has similarities to how Phil plays the hinge and hold as well. I think the way hinge and hold is taught/described is different from how he plays it though, and in the past when I've tried it I always got too steep. I seem to have found the happy middle ground though, so I had to share! Nice to hear others have already figured this out :)

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Will give this method a go, thanks. It's not too dissimilar to how I play it at the moment, but I seriously suck at the short little chips like the ones you hit in that video.

It should be one of the simplest shots in golf, but I'd back myself to hit a flop shot over a bunker to a tucked pin closer than I would the kind of short chip in that video!

could you drop a link to Dan's short game method so I could possibly compare?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/926403-the-wizard-short-game-technique-videosmerged/

Ball/weight forward. Swing straight arms back and forth with oily wrists.

Nice use of "oily." Lol.

Callaway Epic subzero 
Srixon u85 18 degree 
Srixon 975/z-forged
Cleveland RTX 4
Taylormade spider
Srixon XV

Nailed it.

It's a little too easy to putt on compared to grass, and a little quicker than the greens I play IRL, but it's a lot better than nothing! At least allows you to get some reps in, which is helpful.

I have the same one. I love my birdie ball. I found that putting small wooden shims under it gives you really smooth breaks and simulates a real putting greens breaks.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Mad props Drew. MGS plugging the test

https://www.instagra...8cKBA4Py/?hl=en

Jury still out on the DF vs the TMag?

Thanks! Lol, they're obviously big fans of the KSig

I'm taking both the KSig and the DF to the course Sunday, first time on-course for both, we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you guys posted....

Been rolling the DF nicely indoors, but that doesn't mean much to me. Seems like my dispersion is tighter, so we'll see if that is true "live" as well.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x