The 2016-2017 NBA basketball thread

MtlJeff

Its not even the same game though. Cool they were best team out of 8 in the Sunday church league for 10 years. I honestly believe today's high school players would wreck those guys.

I don't. Jerry west. Oscar. Elgin Baylor. Jerry Lucas. Wilt. Sam jones. Rick Barry. Spencer Haywood. Connie Hawkins. Willis reed. Nate Thurmond Russell. And on and on. the roots of the modern game were in the 60 s. Far from a church league.

Wasn't a church league. But today's game has just far surpassed them. Watch the film and ask yourself what lebron, KD , Curry, Kobe et. al. would do to those guys. It's not even close.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Haven't really been watching much of the games, but I just flipped over at some point and saw that LeBron was something like 10 of 11 from the field and the Cavs were still losing by a point.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Just bad coaching honestly. You cannot give up that shot. That is literally the only thing you cant give up. Let him run around you and make it tied. Do not let him get a 3 off.

And the crunch time offense was horrible. Hold ball til 5 seconds left on shot clock then jack up crappy shot. I felt like I was watching Ohio state basketball

Bron and Uncle scored 77 combined, most ever scored by a duo in a losing effort in the Finals. Series is ova! If that can't best GS than Cleveland can't beat GS. Bron will be on a new team in a few years, I just hope the Lakers are in position.

Gsw shot out of their mind. Hard to lose when you shoot almost 50% from 3 as a team

On the Cavs possession before Durant's three, does anyone know why a play would be drawn up for a shot for Korver? It seems like he's been ice cold in the finals.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Love Monday morning coaching, GSW is just better, Korver had a good look from the corner, guarding Durant in the open court is probably a lot easier to type about than it is to actually do. GSW are just really good and the Cavs can't match up. I mean Lebron had a great game and Kyrie looked like a mix of Allen Iverson and Kobe, any other team than GS and the Cavs are sitting starters in the 4th. I don't think coaching down the stretch or any single play determines the outcome of a game like that.

Love Monday morning coaching, GSW is just better, Korver had a good look from the corner, guarding Durant in the open court is probably a lot easier to type about than it is to actually do. GSW are just really good and the Cavs can't match up. I mean Lebron had a great game and Kyrie looked like a mix of Allen Iverson and Kobe, any other team than GS and the Cavs are sitting starters in the 4th. I don't think coaching down the stretch or any single play determines the outcome of a game like that.

he jogged down the court and had an open 3 but alright

I agree it doesn't come down to one play and don't blame Lebron on the Durant 3(guy just hit a good shot). What I don't get is this: The Cavs were coming out of a time-out, why would they draw up a play(it was definitely a drawn up play with Love screening Curry for Korver) for Korver when he's been cold all series? Just doesn't make sense when you have time to think about it and draw up a play.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I mean it's a corner 3 (if I'm thinking of the right play) for one of the best spot up shooters in NBA. Seems like a good look to me

That is true. Just looked up his stats for the series. He's shooting 25% from three in the finals. I don't know at what point you look at a guys recent performance vs his past, but this seemed like good time to run a play for someone else.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I mean it's a corner 3 (if I'm thinking of the right play) for one of the best spot up shooters in NBA. Seems like a good look to me

That is true. Just looked up his stats for the series. He's shooting 25% from three in the finals. I don't know at what point you look at a guys recent performance vs his past, but this seemed like good time to run a play for someone else.

But who? Kyrie or LeBron are not getting open looks and I doubt anyone is leaving Love. JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Jefferson?

The coaching from the Cavs was horrible at the end, and that's what cost them the game I think, and I'm a dubs fan for life. After JR hit a 3 to put them up 6 they went 0-8 from the field. They became a really stagnant offense playing one on one a lot and scrambling. As for the KD 3, yea that was a big shot, but how does LBJ not pressure him as soon as he crosses half court. A 2 ties, but a 3 puts GSW up. You don't give up a 3 in that situation and you defend early, not when he gets to the 3 point line. Lue should've yelled that to them, but LBJ been in the league a long time and should know better. As far as what Kyrie was doing with 46 secs left on the clock is baffling. The first thing I thought about after KD made the 3 was they still can get 2 for 1.

Edit: and the Cavs didn't use their last timeout after KD hit the 3...dumb AF

The coaching from the Cavs was horrible at the end, and that's what cost them the game I think, and I'm a dubs fan for life. After JR hit a 3 to put them up 6 they went 0-8 from the field. They became a really stagnant offense playing one on one a lot and scrambling. As for the KD 3, yea that was a big shot, but how does LBJ not pressure him as soon as he crosses half court. A 2 ties, but a 3 puts GSW up. You don't give up a 3 in that situation and you defend early, not when he gets to the 3 point line. Lue should've yelled that to them, but LBJ been in the league a long time and should know better. As far as what Kyrie was doing with 46 secs left on the clock is baffling. The first thing I thought about after KD made the 3 was they still can get 2 for 1.

yeah I don't get the lack of pressure on KD's 3 either. Shooters try to get to the spot on the floor where they're most comfortable taking a shot. I'm pretty sure they should've known Durrant would take a shot from their if given the chance. The whole coaching staff should've been yelling at LeBron/anybody to cover KD as soon as he got close to the 3-point line

But who? Kyrie or LeBron are not getting open looks and I doubt anyone is leaving Love. JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Jefferson?

I would like to have seen a pick and roll with Lebron and Kyrie. Or action to get one of them a shot(and I'm not talking about just pulling that clear out bullsh!t with them dribbling up top with no action). I mean those guys combined for 77 points. Just thinking maybe a play should have been drawn up for them. I know a corner three with Korver is usually a good shot, but he hasn't been lighting it up and maybe going with a shot from one of your two best players would be a better idea. I know this is all after the fact, but the last several minutes of that game looked like it was botched up coaching wise.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I would like to have seen a pick and roll with Lebron and Kyrie. Or action to get one of them a shot(and I'm not talking about just pulling that clear out bullsh!t with them dribbling up top with no action). I mean those guys combined for 77 points. Just thinking maybe a play should have been drawn up for them. I know a corner three with Korver is usually a good shot, but he hasn't been lighting it up and maybe going with a shot from one of your two best players would be a better idea. I know this is all after the fact, but the last several minutes of that game looked like it was botched up coaching wise.

If Korver is your first option coming out of a timeout there's a problem with drawing up plays and understanding personnel. The other thing I was trying to understand was why were the Cavs playing so fast the entire game. They played well, but you can tell at the end their legs weren't the same. They could've slowed things down quite a bit, especially with ZaZa on the court, and the Dubs didn't go to their death lineup until there was about 6.5 mins left because Draymond was in foul trouble.

You guys should look into getting an NBA head coaching jobs. Basically every game in any sport someone can pick apart the following day, its like telling Tom Watson he should have hit a 9 iron at the Open and he would be champ. It's just really simple to type things on a computer when you really don't know as much about the sport, the strategy, the play as the guys that have proven to be good at what they do and making these decisions in the heat of the moment BEFORE they know the outcome. In no way do I think that play by Bron to Korver was designed specifically for Korver, LeBron had options and that was the decision he made, I don't think it was a bad decision but I also think Kobe would have taken that shot before passing.

I dont think the Bron to Korver was what was drew up but hey plays breakdown............Jordan hit Kerr and before that he hit a Wide Open Craig Hodges for a game winning 3 in different finals series. You take what the defense gives you or you pull a Kobe and shoot it no matter what lol. We all know Bron don't have that killer instinct that Kobe had.

You guys should look into getting an NBA head coaching jobs. Basically every game in any sport someone can pick apart the following day, its like telling Tom Watson he should have hit a 9 iron at the Open and he would be champ. It's just really simple to type things on a computer when you really don't know as much about the sport, the strategy, the play as the guys that have proven to be good at what they do and making these decisions in the heat of the moment BEFORE they know the outcome. In no way do I think that play by Bron to Korver was designed specifically for Korver, LeBron had options and that was the decision he made, I don't think it was a bad decision but I also think Kobe would have taken that shot before passing.

You're right, we are armchair QB'ing here(well, I am at least). I still don't like the play, though(I don't see who else the play was designed for besides Korver, with the screening and spacing of the play). And Kobe definitely would have taken that shot, even if all five guys on the other team were guarding him.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I am glad to hear that we resolved the Kobe vs LeBron argument and we all agree Kobe > LeBron.

Well played sir

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5