2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The 2016-2017 NBA basketball thread

MtlJeff

I'd be more impressed by winning 3 in a row today than 10 in a row in the 60s. the competition always tightens up.

look at actual game film. the complexity of the game is like a middle school game. it's funny everyone talks about the defense in the old days. look at the film it is horrendous. they are in the paint defending and don't even put their hands up. literally middle school players dribble the ball better than these guys did.

You miss the point. It is not about the play in each era but about domination of an era. Snide comments you can keep to yourself, please.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not even the same game though. Cool they were best team out of 8 in the Sunday church league for 10 years. I honestly believe today's high school players would wreck those guys.

I don't. Jerry west. Oscar. Elgin Baylor. Jerry Lucas. Wilt. Sam jones. Rick Barry. Spencer Haywood. Connie Hawkins. Willis reed. Nate Thurmond Russell. And on and on. the roots of the modern game were in the 60 s. Far from a church league.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Its not even the same game though. Cool they were best team out of 8 in the Sunday church league for 10 years. I honestly believe today's high school players would wreck those guys.

I don't. Jerry west. Oscar. Elgin Baylor. Jerry Lucas. Wilt. Sam jones. Rick Barry. Spencer Haywood. Connie Hawkins. Willis reed. Nate Thurmond Russell. And on and on. the roots of the modern game were in the 60 s. Far from a church league.

I'd feel really bad for the teenagers if they had to play grown professionals, doubly so if they're playing by 70's NBA rules

Violence was a out of control in the late 70s. Game was more physical in the 80s but the pace was still up and so was scoring. The Bad Boy Piston changed things with their physical, grind it out half court style and it took over a decade for the NBA to start to loosen up the rules and open up the pace of the game - and presto scoring is back up this decade.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZU6VIGlc1c[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qhDXUD2Xc

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Watch how boxing out was done in the 80s. It was a war. You needed to be a man's man. Dawkins, Mchale, Gilmore all the up to early 90s Oakley, Mason, the Bad Boys, Barkley, all took pride in taking space.

Flopping was non existent. I blame Vlade for making flopping a significant part of the game.

I was too young to watch the 70s but I could imagine it wasn't like the game 7 video.

Violence was a out of control in the late 70s. Game was more physical in the 80s but the pace was still up and so was scoring. The Bad Boy Piston changed things with their physical, grind it out half court style and it took over a decade for the NBA to start to loosen up the rules and open up the pace of the game - and presto scoring is back up this decade.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZU6VIGlc1c[/media]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qhDXUD2Xc[/media]

Or, as Kurt Rambis would refer to it, Good Times!

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Someone should start a 2018 NBA thread.

If GS keeps everyone, should we just start a 2019 NBA thread? :)

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Someone should start a 2018 NBA thread.

If GS keeps everyone, should we just start a 2019 NBA thread? :)

They should just cancel basketball thanks to Kevin Durants spinelsss actions.

Haha! I wouldn't go so far as to call him spineless, but I think it would have been much more compelling basketball if he would have gone to the Spurs or Celtics. He could have been the lone alpha dog(I know Khawi is awesome, but his demeanor doesn't scream alpha dog, and Thomas is good, but not close to Durant). I mean those would have been perfect fits for him to challenge GS or the Cavs and I think it would have made a more enduring legacy rather than just joining a 73 win team. I watched much less basketball this year because of this. It just seems that the championship was so pre-determined this year. I don't know what a stronger word than disappointed is, but that's how I felt when he decided to join GS.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

This happens all the time in the business world guys stop being so hard on him. I mean I'm pretty sure I heard that Sergey Brin and Larry Page recently took VP jobs at Apple and decided to fold their Android business.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This happens all the time in the business world guys stop being so hard on him. I mean I'm pretty sure I heard that Sergey Brin and Larry Page recently took VP jobs at Apple and decided to fold their Android business.

So the president and CEO of alphabet both worth north of $40 billion took vp jobs at apple? And android is folding. April 1 has passed months ago. Lol Well played.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I think I said it here last summer and as a Warrior fan I INITIALLY didnt like KD coming here. I thought the move to blow up the bench and bring him in was heavy-handed as hell. If I was the GM I would've pushed hard for Al-Farouq Aminu once HB left, saved some money and tweaked the bench a bit. But Im not the GM and KD is here playing out of this world. Im just gonna ride the wave for as long as I can because again as a GSW fan, I know what it's like to miss the playoffs year after year.

Warriors in Four................all games 20 point blowouts.

Dubs fan here. Let me just say this. All those thinking this is gonna last 5-6 years, uh....no. This will last 3 years max, then the cracks in the dam will bust this team up wide open. It's just too hard to keep a team like this together without any bickering and such. Everyone wants to get paid. Klay will get traded and Dray will walk. They won't make it to 2020 no way. 2018 max

Dubs fan here. Let me just say this. All those thinking this is gonna last 5-6 years, uh....no. This will last 3 years max, then the cracks in the dam will bust this team up wide open. It's just too hard to keep a team like this together without any bickering and such. Everyone wants to get paid. Klay will get traded and Dray will walk. They won't make it to 2020 no way. 2018 max

Kind of figured that. "The disease of more" as said by Riley will eventually seep in. That, and I honestly wonder how long they can go before Draymond starts to really wear on everyone.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I definitely tend to agree with you but there's something that just feels different with this team. I genuinely believe guys like Klay and Dray are content with their smaller roles and being in a winning environment and Steph and KD's willingness to trade a little $ to be a part of something special can go a long way.

Ownership being willing to fork over the money is obviously a whole other problem.

I actually think the core sticks it out until 2020. Draymond is signed through 2020, Klay is signed through 2019 but they have his bird rights, Durrant has stated he would be willing to take less to keep the core together and I bet he signs another 2 year contract for next season with a player option for 2019. He'd be in line for a 5-year max contract next year if declines the option. Curry will sign for the 5-year max. Although I hope he takes a cue from KD and signs for a little less to ensure keeping Iguodala and/or some of the other guys the warriors have free agent cap holds for, I understand if he doesn't. He's been underpaid for at minimum the last 2 years if not the whole length of his current 4-year extension. Now the main issue at hand is the warriors will have to go into luxury tax territory starting next year. Ownership has stated they are willing to do just that if the roster warrants it (and it does).

I think Curry and Durant will both re-up aswell, and i agree that i don't think there are selfish players there, just the way Curry reduced his stats a bit this year after winning consecutive MVPs tells you what you need to know about him. I think if there are issues with this team in the next 3-4 years it will be injuries.

Neither Curry or Durant are Lebron-like cyborgs. Both have had injuries in the past. Teams like the Thunder, Clippers have been done in by injuries. That's the most likely thing that would prevent them from sustained dominance

There is also the possibility that another super-team will form to rival them. Cleveland may not be the place due to their salaries committed to Love and Irving who maybe aren't the guys to rival Green/Curry. But it's conceivable that superstars unwilling to concede the title for 3-4 years make some sacrifices to play in a similar situation to Golden State. The most obvious situation would seem to be San Antonio, since Kawhi is a super-duper star 2-way player who is also unselfish and could easily absorb another high volume player. But i don't know who goes there that is that significant. Even with CP3 they are great but i'd still think the Warriors are better. And there's no other free agent that significant other than Lebron who i REALLY don't see going to SA

As crazy as it sounds, maybe a place like Milwaukee could do it but it's unlikely. What happened with the Warriors was so unique because they drafted well and also got Curry on such a cheap deal that they have all these stars and will also own their bird rights for their salaries explode. Milwaukee has a super-duper star in Giannis on a rookie deal. Giannis could threaten league MVP next season, Thon Maker has nice length and is also cheap. Khris Middleton is very good. But who is signing there? CP3 isn't going there.

Boston has enough assets to do it, but they'd be nuts to go all in now. Their obvious play is to draft Fultz and pair him with Smart, Jaylen Brown and whoever they get from Brooklyn's pick next year and hope to replicate OKC's run of draft success

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The new Arena in SF I think will allow this team to stay together for a while. Winning and being in SF and down the road from Silicon Valley will allow the Warriors to virtually print money as long as they are winning. I think we're just getting started here folks.

3-5 years definitely. Again barring injuries.

There is a new wave of superstars coming who will catch up to them when they are 31-33 years old though. Guys like Towns/Wiggins and whatever they add, Giannis and whoever he is playing with, and then the tidal wave of talent Boston will get.

I really think Boston will be terrifying in 4-5 years. Jaylen Brown showed some real flashes last year as a defensive ace, Marcus Smart is a defensive star too. Markelle Fultz could be a superstar, and they will get a very high pick from the Nets next year too. They also have one of the best young coaches in the league.

Right now the league is kind of stuck in that the guard hasn't changed yet, and some difference makers (like Anthony Davis or James Harden) are tied into contracts on teams that likely won't be able to add enough

I suppose a guy like Russell Westbrook could opt out of OKC in the near future, and also sign somewhere like SA. There aren't many guys that could even combine to beat the Warriors in the next 2-3 years with how the contracts are

Deschamps Crisp Antique