2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The 2016-2017 NBA basketball thread

MtlJeff

Meh last year's team was still better than cavs. They win series 8/10 times.

-cavs fan

At one point tonight Cleveland had on the floor LeBron, Tristen Thompson, Kyle Krover, Richard Jefferson and Dwill. Durant was on the floor with a guy that scored 61 on 11 dribbles a 2x regular season MVP and a Finals MVP. I was a really big Durant fan before he joined GS but just as being a competive person I just have a hard time respecting his decision to join GS. I know GS fans will just say "he wants to win". Their is simply a point of when "wanting to win" and eliminating competition crosses the line. It's like being in grade school and the two best kids demand to be on the same team. He just made the ultimate sell out play in my opinion and it's difficult not to put an asterisks next to anything that he wins at this point.

competitive person fan

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh last year's team was still better than cavs. They win series 8/10 times.

-cavs fan

At one point tonight Cleveland had on the floor LeBron, Tristen Thompson, Kyle Krover, Richard Jefferson and Dwill. Durant was on the floor with a guy that scored 61 on 11 dribbles a 2x regular season MVP and a Finals MVP. I was a really big Durant fan before he joined GS but just as being a competive person I just have a hard time respecting his decision to join GS. I know GS fans will just say "he wants to win". Their is simply a point of when "wanting to win" and eliminating competition crosses the line. It's like being in grade school and the two best kids demand to be on the same team. He just made the ultimate sell out play in my opinion and it's difficult not to put an asterisks next to anything that he wins at this point.

competitive person fan

I think James selling out to the Heat is the exact same thing.

Not even close. I don't know how many times we have to explain this but it's utterly frustrating. Best team ever in regular season, 2x defending MVP, team he joined was up 3-1 in finals after winning prior finals, his own team was up 3-1 on said team and he is probably the second best player in the world. He also had the guy who is going to win MVP the season after he left on his team and who broke an unbreakable record this year. LeBron joined forces with one HOF player (Wade) and another great player (Bosh). Who was Lebrons second best player in Cleveland? Was that guy breaking unbreakable records? What Durant did would be more equivalent to LeBron joining Kobe and the Lakers or Garnett in Boston. What LeBron did was try and give himself a fair Shake at competing against those guys. What Durant did was try and take the easy road. Take the blinders off GS fans and come into the real world. The guy pulled a heartless move, period.

How do I give a -1 vote on GolfWRX?

16-0 but with an asterisk?

Yes on the moving screens. Fairly consistent non-call on that however it favors the team that uses that uses it every other play when you don't call it.

Good call on the NBA now being WWE aka "sports entertainment".

I think the league is making the 16-0 storyline to compete with the "down 1-3 to win" that bit them in the face last year. I thought last year it was officiated to a game 7 after the 3-1 lead, then the league expected GSW to win. Kyrie didn't cooperate. This year is the make up call.

I took Kevin Durant's advice and didn't watch.

Maybe I'll catch games 3 or 4. Thought the Cavs at least would make it interesting. Worst part is we probably have a few years of this unless CP3 and others sign in SA or the Cavs can add more guys

I don't really like that either because the league becomes even more top heavy. But blowout playoffs are awful. I literally did watch the WWE event yesterday instead. Lol

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Nothing new to see here. Take a gander at the 80s - Laker in 8 of 10 Finals and win 5. Is a team with Worthy, Kareem, Magic, McAdoo, Wilkes (5 count them 5 HOFers) not loaded and even more loaded than GS? And then Boston was in 5 finals. With Parrish, McHale, Bird, and Johnson. In the decade only 5 teams were in the finals - Lakers 8, Boston 5, 76s 3, Pistons 2, Rockets 2 with Boston and LA winning 8 of the 10 finals.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Between 1982 and 1989 which was the magic /bird run, there was two sweeps but mostly competitive finals.

I don't really care if this is one season. Just don't want 2-3 years of this. Even if it's a handful of teams it'd be nice to have a tiny bit of suspense

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Between 1982 and 1989 which was the magic /bird run, there was two sweeps but mostly competitive finals.

I don't really care if this is one season. Just don't want 2-3 years of this. Even if it's a handful of teams it'd be nice to have a tiny bit of suspense

If Durant stays with GS, unfortunately the only suspense will be, which GS player is getting the Finals MVP?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

He has yearly opt outs I believe. I'd have to check but I think he has always been signing 2-yr deals but with opt out clause.

It's be crazy if he left, though he did get them a title.

Him and CP3 should go to the Spurs LOL

At least than the raptors could win the east and lose 4-0 in the finals by an average score of 60pts

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

He has yearly opt outs I believe. I'd have to check but I think he has always been signing 2-yr deals but with opt out clause.

It's be crazy if he left, though he did get them a title.

Him and CP3 should go to the Spurs LOL

At least than the raptors could win the east and lose 4-0 in the finals by an average score of 60pts

I could see him doing something like that, I don't expect him to sit in Cleveland and let GS run up the tally. I don't know enough about the salary cap but I get the sense that Cleveland cannot afford to sign another max type guy. I get the sense that is what they need to beat a healthy GS team.

lebron cannot leave cleveland again. dude his legacy would be ruined. coming back to cleveland and winning a title was what he needed to do to be in real conversation with jordan. if he leaves again hes gonna negate a ton of that. I think most likely thing is cavs basically leverage entire future like all of their picks for next 5 years in order to get one more guy like paul george

I thought they can't trade successive picks for X years or something like that?

That is correct. And, if George were to sign with Cleveland instead of LA(and I don't think he would be able to do that until the year after next), the Cavs would have a huge luxury tax bill.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I believe they cannot trade consecutive first round picks yes

Can do one, and than a pick swap the following year. That's what Brooklyn did

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Nothing new to see here. Take a gander at the 80s - Laker in 8 of 10 Finals and win 5. Is a team with Worthy, Kareem, Magic, McAdoo, Wilkes (5 count them 5 HOFers) not loaded and even more loaded than GS? And then Boston was in 5 finals. With Parrish, McHale, Bird, and Johnson. In the decade only 5 teams were in the finals - Lakers 8, Boston 5, 76s 3, Pistons 2, Rockets 2 with Boston and LA winning 8 of the 10 finals.

Couldn't have said it any better. What we're seeing (although not at this record level) isn't anything that we haven't seen before. Boston had Parish, Bird, McHale, DJ. Lakers had it stacked. I think most of the posters here are from the younger generation and don't realize that the 80s had Bos-LA so much. Whereas back then it was "exciting", nowadays it's just "hatred".

Couldn't have said it any better. What we're seeing (although not at this record level) isn't anything that we haven't seen before. Boston had Parish, Bird, McHale, DJ. Lakers had it stacked. I think most of the posters here are from the younger generation and don't realize that the 80s had Bos-LA so much. Whereas back then it was "exciting", nowadays it's just "hatred".

Another thing to note is the myth of competitive NBA finals. By my count only 7 finals have gone 7 games since 1980 and three of them have come since 2010 - 7 out of 37 (with this year yet to be determined). So in some sense the NBA finals have been more competitive since 2010. But overall believe something like 13 teams have never won an NBA title (and think this is also true to the NFL SB). The NCAA is even worse when out of 300+ teams, 10 have won 45 of the last 54 titles since 1964.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Durant could've joined a bunch of other teams and they probably would've been the favorite to win the championship, or at least one of the favorites. He chose GS for more than just a chance to win...style of play, location, lifestyle, quality management, and generally just a bunch of guys who hang out and get along. No one thought he'd resign with OKC after his rookie contract, but he did. He was also great in their community. He really doesn't deserve the backlash he's getting. Anyone who says they wouldn't want Durant, or LBJ, or Curry, etc. on their team because they want the league to be competitive is a liar.

I'm 35 and have watched every nba season since the mid 90's, and have watched the highlights of earlier years on classics. I've also read Simmons "book of basketball" probably 10 times.

Using the term "hate" or "hating on" is a very millennial term for someone critical of that same demographic.

I don't hate the Warriors or their fans, all I've said is that I don't find a 16-0 postseason filled with blowouts all that compelling

Even the Sonics beat the Bulls twice. Granted you never thought they'd win that series but the games were competitive enough and Seattle won two of them. If golden state wins 4-0 with the type of games we've seen in 1 and 2 it's not comparable. We've almost never seen a true blowout

Heck even Philly beat the Lakers in game 1 back in early 2000s

Yes I watched all of those series.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Durant could've joined a bunch of other teams and they probably would've been the favorite to win the championship, or at least one of the favorites. He chose GS for more than just a chance to win...style of play, location, lifestyle, quality management, and generally just a bunch of guys who hang out and get along. No one thought he'd resign with OKC after his rookie contract, but he did. He was also great in their community. He really doesn't deserve the backlash he's getting. Anyone who says they wouldn't want Durant, or LBJ, or Curry, etc. on their team because they want the league to be competitive is a liar.

It's always fun to see your team win, I don't think anyone is really upset at Warriors fans.

Basketball is entertainment though as a business , and the market extends a lot further than just the home crowds. The ratings for the first two games were quite good apparently though so it seems some of us here at least for now are in the minority. Though we will see if the ratings stay good

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's always fun to see your team win, I don't think anyone is really upset at Warriors fans.

Basketball is entertainment though as a business , and the market extends a lot further than just the home crowds. The ratings for the first two games were quite good apparently though so it seems some of us here at least for now are in the minority. Though we will see if the ratings stay good

Any fan would want him on their team, that is not the issue at hand. Him making such a spineless move is the problem. He has been getting off easy, media should be way harder on him after seeing the route the Finals have been,

I'm 35 and have watched every nba season since the mid 90's, and have watched the highlights of earlier years on classics. I've also read Simmons "book of basketball" probably 10 times.

Using the term "hate" or "hating on" is a very millennial term for someone critical of that same demographic.

I don't hate the Warriors or their fans, all I've said is that I don't find a 16-0 postseason filled with blowouts all that compelling

Even the Sonics beat the Bulls twice. Granted you never thought they'd win that series but the games were competitive enough and Seattle won two of them. If golden state wins 4-0 with the type of games we've seen in 1 and 2 it's not comparable. We've almost never seen a true blowout

I'm 67 and been watching since the early 60s - of course then not too much was on TV - but they always had the Lakers- Celtics since it seemed they were always in the finals. And LA never won. Those Celtic teams won a lot in the 60s and didn't have a lot of close series or games. They blew teams out way back then for a decade. Took the Lakers to get Chamberlain before things got competitive - and the 76ers had a year or two of being competitive So when GS does this for another 8 or 9 years it'll be like the 60s Celtics. Check it out.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I'm 67 and been watching since the early 60s - of course then not too much was on TV - but they always had the Lakers- Celtics since it seemed they were always in the finals. And LA never won. Those Celtic teams won a lot in the 60s and didn't have a lot of close series or games. They blew teams out way back then for a decade. Took the Lakers to get Chamberlain before things got competitive - and the 76ers had a year or two of being competitive So when GS does this for another 8 or 9 years it'll be like the 60s Celtics. Check it out.

there were 8 teams in the league then, not the same thing at all.

there were 8 teams in the league then, not the same thing at all.

Harder cause all those teams were deep. Why big o couldn't win until he went to the bucks with a young Kareem. You are correct. No one has dominated like the 60 s celtics

The NBA was expanding back then and ended the decade with 12 or so teams. And players were locked into teams. With the aba drawing talent away in the late 60s and early 70 s. And no comparing players of today versus the 60s. Heck Russell at 6 9 was pretty much the tallest other than wilt. But I thought domination was a the topic and in that regard those celtics did what gs has yet to do . Time will tell. And really of the 30 teams maybe only 4 have a real chance of winning. Most winners have been 1 or2 seeds with some 3 seeds - something like 60 of 70 winners were 1 or2 and the celtics as a 4 and rockets as a 6 the two outliers and it took mj's first retirement to help the rockets.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I'd be more impressed by winning 3 in a row today than 10 in a row in the 60s. the competition always tightens up.

look at actual game film. the complexity of the game is like a middle school game. it's funny everyone talks about the defense in the old days. look at the film it is horrendous. they are in the paint defending and don't even put their hands up. literally middle school players dribble the ball better than these guys did.