The Ultimate Titleist 917 Driver Fitting at TPI Oceanside (Launch Monitor Data Added Pg. 4)

This is cool and all but it's still laughable to me that the 915 was not a max ball speed driver

Do you do anything other than troll in Titleist equipment threads? I'm amazed you haven't had a temporary or permanent ban at this point. You literally contribute nothing of any substance to this board.

It's not trolling if everything I say is accurate. I have no bias. Titleist hybrids nearly made my bag, I played Vokeys forever, and I'd love a set of TMB irons.

http://pluggedingolf.com/titleist-917d2-driver-review/

There is just no good reason to play a Titleist driver. Even this one that everyone is saying is way better is still fairly average compared to the market

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks ago, we started a thread with a few questions for GolfWRX Members from Southern California who were using Titleist 915 drivers. The response was tremendous, and led to the incredible event we're having today.

From that thread, we selected six GolfWRX Members who told us they are currently using a Titleist 915 driver. Today, they will arrive at Titleist's TPI Oceanside (California) test facility with their gamer, where many of Titleist's PGA Tour Brand Ambassadors are fit for their clubs. Titleist's PGA Tour fitters will do their best to help the lucky six add distance to their drives with either Titleist's 917D2 or 917D3.

A fitting doesn't get much more premium than what's these six GolfWRXers are going today. They'll hit real golf balls (either Pro V1 or Pro V1X, depending on their preference) on Trackman at Titleist's world-renowned practice facility, and will have at their disposal Titleist's enormous custom shaft inventory. They'll geek out about shaft lengths, weight settings, swing weight, face angles, lie angles and dial in lofts perfectly.

Congrats to the winners; I can't wait to meet you today shivasi, KPH808, MB Dirtyy, LuckyLowbrow, pitchinwedge and brushie.

I will be updating this thread with updates and photos, and so will the lucky six, who will take the lead in this discussion to share what they learned, what the experience was like and what you need to know about the 917 drivers.

Ask us anything!

I was fitted into a 915D4 because I needed help getting my spin numbers down (I currently game a Whiteboard X flex and generate 2400-2800rpm range at a SS of 121mph). I am really interested in switching to a 917D2/D3 but I'm worried that my spin numbers are going to jump up and hurt carry distance.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone that switched from a 915D4 to a 917D2/3. What sort of impact did you guys see in terms of spin and carry distance?

Ideally, spin numbers with a 917D2/D3 would be equal to or better than the 915D4 but I'm not sure what to expect.

Cheers!

This is cool and all but it's still laughable to me that the 915 was not a max ball speed driver

Do you do anything other than troll in Titleist equipment threads? I'm amazed you haven't had a temporary or permanent ban at this point. You literally contribute nothing of any substance to this board.

It's not trolling if everything I say is accurate. I have no bias. Titleist hybrids nearly made my bag, I played Vokeys forever, and I'd love a set of TMB irons.

http://pluggedingolf...-driver-review/

There is just no good reason to play a Titleist driver. Even this one that everyone is saying is way better is still fairly average compared to the market

That link is to perhaps the most useless review I've ever seen of a golf club; congrats. Limited numbers, no shaft info on what he hit, and only demoed the D2. Not very helpful.

Also; your second to last sentence is the definition of trolling and (as I've said before) I wish you'd leave.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

A few weeks ago, we started a thread with a few questions for GolfWRX Members from Southern California who were using Titleist 915 drivers. The response was tremendous, and led to the incredible event we're having today.

From that thread, we selected six GolfWRX Members who told us they are currently using a Titleist 915 driver. Today, they will arrive at Titleist's TPI Oceanside (California) test facility with their gamer, where many of Titleist's PGA Tour Brand Ambassadors are fit for their clubs. Titleist's PGA Tour fitters will do their best to help the lucky six add distance to their drives with either Titleist's 917D2 or 917D3.

A fitting doesn't get much more premium than what's these six GolfWRXers are going today. They'll hit real golf balls (either Pro V1 or Pro V1X, depending on their preference) on Trackman at Titleist's world-renowned practice facility, and will have at their disposal Titleist's enormous custom shaft inventory. They'll geek out about shaft lengths, weight settings, swing weight, face angles, lie angles and dial in lofts perfectly.

Congrats to the winners; I can't wait to meet you today shivasi, KPH808, MB Dirtyy, LuckyLowbrow, pitchinwedge and brushie.

I will be updating this thread with updates and photos, and so will the lucky six, who will take the lead in this discussion to share what they learned, what the experience was like and what you need to know about the 917 drivers.

Ask us anything!

I was fitted into a 915D4 because I needed help getting my spin numbers down (I currently game a Whiteboard X flex and generate 2400-2800rpm range at a SS of 121mph). I am really interested in switching to a 917D2/D3 but I'm worried that my spin numbers are going to jump up and hurt carry distance.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone that switched from a 915D4 to a 917D2/3. What sort of impact did you guys see in terms of spin and carry distance?

Ideally, spin numbers with a 917D2/D3 would be equal to or better than the 915D4 but I'm not sure what to expect.

Cheers!

I think on page 3 or 4 of this thread there are pics of our trackman numbers. I went from a D4 to d3 and saw my spin go down significantly.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

I've ordered a D2 in 9.5*. I haven't been fitted for any of my last few drivers but I've been using that head on my 915 shaft and it's very easy to hit. I've landed in a couple of bunkers I've not reached with the 915 so it's certainly a little hotter, something I can't say about the previous models, even the 915 D4 which I owned for about a month.

And I really like the return to that battleship grey head colour. I haven't even looked at the shaft chart, I'll use my old one.

I've ordered a D2 in 9.5*. I haven't been fitted for any of my last few drivers but I've been using that head on my 915 shaft and it's very easy to hit. I've landed in a couple of bunkers I've not reached with the 915 so it's certainly a little hotter, something I can't say about the previous models, even the 915 D4 which I owned for about a month.

And I really like the return to that battleship grey head colour. I haven't even looked at the shaft chart, I'll use my old one.

What shaft have you been using in your 915 and do you notice any appreciable difference in the head weight between the 915 and 917 when you switch shafts?

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Article doesn't address the "how" per the results of testing. That's a big deal to me. I gamed 915 Driver, 5W, and 4H. Love them, but I know that weight is going to add some pop. The results could have been a result of proper shaft fitting. I gained 15yds when I updated from my Nike Tour 360 circa 2007. I then added another 10 when they hit the right shaft during the process, Diamana Blue Board Stiff. l'll definitely check out the hybrids if I haven't sold my Titleist set for more fishing gear by then.

Titleist 915D2 9.5 DiamanaBB Stiff
Titleist 917D2 3W Diamana White Stiff
Titleist 915 5W DiamanaBB Stiff
Titleist 915 4 loft set up Diamana White Stiff
Titleist AP2 5-GW XP95 Stiff
Titleist SM7 Raw 54 & 60
Cameron Select Newport 2

Today's head options

Phew...I was lucky not to have been selected. There are no left handed heads. Would have been tres awkward.

Alas, when you pull the Styrofoam tray there are a full mix of LH heads in the same case. I had a fitting there with Dino got my LH 917 up about 18 yards from my 913. Not counting how great it sounds and how well mishits still go. I'm 66 and didn't have a prostate problem. Now, I might - every time I hit on center. I've never been so impressed with a new driver, not even close.

Guys,

Here's my front-page write-up of the experience: http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

I'm excited for the six winners to receive their drivers in the mail and start posting their feedback.

Great article!

I noticed you mentioned the 915D4 is a fade-biased driver in the article. Is this information directly from Titleist/the fitters that day?

Thanks!

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

What shaft have you been using in your 915 and do you notice any appreciable difference in the head weight between the 915 and 917 when you switch shafts?

Rogue Silver 60 in S. I'll weigh the 917 head today. My initial impression was the 917 was heavier. Same weight. But turns out the demo head had the heavier weight installed

30148154354_c9ede3e156_b.jpg915 Head by Chazz Michael Michaels, on Flickr

30154946644_4f00a357ec_b.jpg917 weight by Chazz Michael Michaels, on Flickr

I got mine yesterday. I live pretty close to Carlsbad, so I think you guys should be getting them today.

I got mine yesterday. I live pretty close to Carlsbad, so I think you guys should be getting them today.

20 miles away... Hoping you're right!

Ok, 20 minutes later delivery.

Everyone else get theirs? Haven't gotten mine yet.

Still impatiently waiting.....

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Still impatiently waiting.....

Nothing yet either.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

no soup for me

http://pluggedingolf.com/titleist-917d2-driver-review/

Just curious what's in your bag? I tried a search but couldn't find anything (I'm honestly interested, hope this doesn't sound sarcastic cuz it's not meant to be. I'm truely interested. You have very strong opinions, and I respect that. So just curious what makes the cut to be in current bag).

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Just curious what's in your bag? I tried a search but couldn't find anything (I'm honestly interested, hope this doesn't sound sarcastic cuz it's not meant to be. I'm truely interested. You have very strong opinions, and I respect that. So just curious what makes the cut to be in current bag).

Sure. I'm cheap and I also have barely any time to play due to school. I'm very picky the look of iron's/wedges at address

Bio Cell Pro (Want the LTD for more forgiveness but don't play enough to justify it)

Sldr 16.5 hybrid (not comfortable w/ FW wood lengths, and hit this 265 so don't further

Alpha 815 20* hybrid (100% in the bag)

R7 TP irons (Perfect shape at address, feel nice, super forgiving)

Glide wedges (might throw my original Spin Milleds back in tho)

Original Spider putter

I've worked as a club fitter for a couple years and read absolutely everything out there about club design, fitting, etc

Also here are the clubs that would make the cut if I was buying new stuff:

King LTD / F6+ / M2 (maybe, haven't hit it enough to know)

LTD FW

T-MB / Adams CMB / Nike Vapor Fly Pro

Sure. I'm cheap and I also have barely any time to play due to school. I'm very picky the look of iron's/wedges at address

Bio Cell Pro (Want the LTD for more forgiveness but don't play enough to justify it)

Sldr 16.5 hybrid (not comfortable w/ FW wood lengths, and hit this 265 so don't further

Alpha 815 20* hybrid (100% in the bag)

R7 TP irons (Perfect shape at address, feel nice, super forgiving)

Glide wedges (might throw my original Spin Milleds back in tho)

Original Spider putter

I've worked as a club fitter for a couple years and read absolutely everything out there about club design, fitting, etc

Also here are the clubs that would make the cut if I was buying new stuff:

King LTD / F6+ / M2 (maybe, haven't hit it enough to know)

LTD FW

T-MB / Adams CMB / Nike Vapor Fly Pro

Nice bag. Some solid clubs for sure.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

snapback.pngMiamiMonkey, on 19 October 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

May be a nice bag, but this post was clearly trolling.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

snapback.pngMiamiMonkey, on 19 October 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

May be a nice bag, but this post was clearly trolling.

I do agree it seemed like sort of a back handed compliment from him. I may not agree, but unfortunately that's the Internet for you...many people with many opinions. Your going to get some people who just go against the grain. Over the last week, even though I don't agree with his posts, they are his view.......so f@ck it. He's going to make them whether I/we like it or not. So we can either 1) continue to but heads with him/others or 2) go on, ignore what's said, that's whether it's him or anyone else.

Again I can't lie, he stands by his views and I can respect it. Doesn't mean that I/we have to agree or respond to it. It's up to us.

Anyways......back to the 917 driver and fairways (sorry to go off topic, again miamimonkey, if you don't like Titleist or do, f$ck it, JMHO).

Like I mentioned in another thread it's golf clubs......golf clubs. (Not directed at pitchinwedge).

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

^^ great post. I agree with you 100%. Seems disagreeing with people often, is trolling or you're a hater. Don't get it myself. People are allowed an opinion even if it goes against your every fibre. You can block and ignore people. I like to see some differing opinions on clubs, not a constant love-fest for whichever brand. I like your attitude Rymail00. Everyone has a choice. Get butthurt, engage in discussion or like Obi Wan Kenobi says: "You can go about your business. Move along."

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Like I mentioned in another thread it's golf clubs......golf clubs. (Not directed at pitchinwedge).

no worries... this thread is about the 917 driver, not wedges :)

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Ask us anything!

Cheers!

I think on page 3 or 4 of this thread there are pics of our trackman numbers. I went from a D4 to d3 and saw my spin go down significantly.

Thanks Brushie! Were you fitted into your 915D4 as well?

Ask us anything!

Cheers!

I was fit into the shaft. The D4 came out after I had my fitting and purchased the head down the road and have played it for a while. I think my swing was off as I was launching it low the day of the TPI fitting. Since then I have been getting my normal ball flight. That all being said, I am snap hooking it more than when I first started playing the setup so I think the heavier shaft is the right fit for me now.

Ask us anything!

Cheers!

I was fit into the shaft. The D4 came out after I had my fitting and purchased the head down the road and have played it for a while. I think my swing was off as I was launching it low the day of the TPI fitting. Since then I have been getting my normal ball flight. That all being said, I am snap hooking it more than when I first started playing the setup so I think the heavier shaft is the right fit for me now.

For me my spin dropped about a couple hundred rpms but the biggest thing was more ball speed. I wasn't fit into my D4 head but was fit into the shaft a while back.

Side note, no driver yet.....

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

No driver for me yet either. And since then, I have picked up another M2 and a pull of the Speeder 74 TS to put into the M2 so I can do a nice side by side on course comparison. I was hitting a friend's M2 setup decently well the other day so going to let there be a head to head battle.