What is a Driving Iron?

What is a driving iron, and why would a person use one? They seem to be gaining some resurgence. Are they 2 irons with a long shaft? What era were they common? What do they do now for a current bag?

Driver: Alpha Golf C830.2 10.5*; Fujikura XLR8 R
3 wood: Cally X-hot, PX- R
5 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
7 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
4-PW: KZG Evolutions Nippon NP Pro 950 - R
52*, 56* KZG Evolutions TT Dynalite S
Odyssey Sabertooth
Srixon Q-Star Tour

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I just don't practice enough to consistently strike a 2 iron, struggle turning over hybrids too much, and hit high lofted fairway woods too high. That's where the MODERN driving iron comes in. older driving irons were very difficult to hit. The new crop of driving irons offer the forgiveness of a hybrid with the ballflight some of us prefer.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

Driving irons have been around since at least the 1930's. By modern standards, they would probably be a 2 iron. Traditionally I don't think that they necessarily had over sized shafts in terms of length. The purpose was to have a tee club option that kept the ball down under the effects of the wind.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Have a hickory shaft club labeled "Driving Iron", so they've been around for awhile. A quick check on the Ping website comparing the specs of I series irons vs. their "Crossover" (i.e. driving iron. Even though thats not how they're labeling it). I series 3 iron, 20*/39". 4-Crossover, 21*, 39.13". Draw your own conclusions. At $200 new, no thanks. I'll continue fooling around with a Eye 2 2 iron (18.5*/39.5") when I feel the need. And seemingly can hit OK off a tee.

Don't quite understand all the chatter surrounding their resurgence. I smell marketing boolah.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

In the past, I believe Driving Iron was just another name for the One Iron, just another term like Mashie or Niblick.

As far as their resurgence today, there are a number of people (and I would have to think it's a relatively small number) who are too strong for most hybrids and hit them too high or hook them. So now we have a "new" category (new in quotes because there were quite a few attempts at this in the late 80s/early 90s when the first attempts at hollow irons were tried) of more iron like clubs that are hollow, thin faced and, depending on the model, perhaps a bit longer in shaft length than the iron they replace.

When I first started in the 70s, it was fairly common to see store line forged blade driving irons from companies like Delta, Northwestern and Wilson. The Wilson version was available at K-Mart and looked like an X-31 of that day. No idea what the specs were exactly, it may well have been closer to a 2 Iron. They sold them right alongside the forged Harmonized wedges and the Wilson Chipper which the catalogs always said was "scientifically designed for loft."

Later there was a hollow Mizuno branded driving iron with 14 degrees of loft that was an early attempt at a hybrid. That was a department store line club as well. Used to see them at Service Merchandise, if anyone remembers that store.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I agree with most of what people have written above. At least in the steel shaft era, I've tended to equate driving irons with 1 irons in terms of loft and length.

I don't think it requires a surfeit of strength to find the typical hybrid more conducive to losing shots high and left. Off a tee, I'll hit my share of skanks with a traditional 1 or 2 iron but it would be a truly rare shot that found trouble on the left. A 2 iron at around 20* is viable for me off the turf, but a less lofted 1 iron is pretty much a safety-first tee club for me. If the fairways are running out, it can be surprisingly effective. Growing up on a muni links, I hit a 1 iron off the tee a lot and did not seem to lose a great deal of distance compared to teeing off with a persimmon wood. Conditions where I play now are generally softer, and modern woods have made the distance gap considerably larger.

I recall one particular round this summer where I was having fits off the tee. It didn't matter what sort of wood I had in my hands, it was going left!

Out of frustration and desperation I hit my 3 iron off the tee on 10 -- right down the middle. I proceeded to use the the 3 iron off the tee the rest of the round. I was shocked at how little I was giving up with running fairways to my playing partner who was hitting driver; maybe 20 yards tops.

I'll bet I shot 10 less on the back than I did on the front that day!

Unfortunately, for most folks, such things aren't an option in this day and age with the preponderance of hybrids in play -- if one is good then more is better -- as that eliminates an important alternative from your arsenal.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have a modern Srixon u45 driving iron , its lofted with 20 degrees and a stiff steel shaft . It plays as a long 3 iron or weak 5 wood for my self . It fits my game ok when the conditions are right mainly in the summer when the ground is running hard.

I use it in the summer and when its windy as its easier to keep lower but i do prefer my hybrid and 5 wood. I dont think i generate enough club head speed to hit the long irons or driving iron high enough .

I think that the term Driving Iron was probably used back in the day to conote a 1-iron. later iterations have added length to the club, but for imo, a driving iron would be basically a 1-iron. I do recall someone selling a 0-iron some years ago. longer and less lofted than a 1-iron of the day. God forbid the average golfer should try to hit that.

I think that the term Driving Iron was probably used back in the day to conote a 1-iron. later iterations have added length to the club, but for imo, a driving iron would be basically a 1-iron. I do recall someone selling a 0-iron some years ago. longer and less lofted than a 1-iron of the day. God forbid the average golfer should try to hit that.

I believe the Zero Iron was a creation for John Daly, who apparently didn't care much for fairway woods?

In terms of the general public, there's probably not much call for a 14* iron. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

If you go back far enough before clubs were numbered, and we are talking hickory, folks, there were two straight faced irons. One was a cleek, which was a shallow faced job and used for fairway shots...think wind and run. The other was the driving iron with a much deeper face for low boring shots.

If you wanted height with a deep faced iron then the driving mashie was the club to use.

A good friend of mine who happens to be about the best club fitter in our area, with many, many years of experience, also takes consignment clubs in his shop.

I stopped by Tuesday nite, for a beer and a quick visit, and he told me that he had a check for me.

Sold a putter and a 1-iron. I still have 2 left there, if anyone is looking.

They are both Pings, so very easy to hit.

Tom Wargo won the PGA Seniors about 30 years, playing PGA National, where they play the Honda today. Kept the ball in play, and really didn't sacrifice distance too much.

His was the original Ping "EYE", if I'm not mistaken.

Great clubs, and very easy to hit.

I also have a set of Shamrock irons from the early 70's...probably one of the first sets of irons to have a hollowed out face, with a lead bar dropped into the slot, and filled with epoxy.

Probably the easiest long irons that I have ever struck, and a beautiful, soft feeling, with absolutely no problem getting the ball airborne.

Clubs that were just a little ahead of their time.

Those are available as well, as I'm thinning out the herd, so to speak!

If you go back far enough before clubs were numbered, and we are talking hickory, folks, there were two straight faced irons. One was a cleek, which was a shallow faced job and used for fairway shots...think wind and run. The other was the driving iron with a much deeper face for low boring shots.

If you wanted height with a deep faced iron then the driving mashie was the club to use.

I've had a couple driving one irons in the past, however, now only a couple steel shaft 2 irons. I have a metal cleek as you mention, marked ST ANDREWS in capital letters, and cleek, smooth face and hickory shaft. The club measures 41" long, and seems extremely heavy, although the head seems normal sized. I've hit it a few times years ago, feels like the shaft could split at any time.

Smooth face irons are nineteenth century I believe.

This year, I've only played hickory a few times. I was talking to one of the greens men at my course today. He says I always amaze him with my variety of clubs. He watched me sink a 6 footer with my TPM that I put a regular grip on. I putted pretty well with that TPM today.

Maybe, I'll play a hickory game this year before it turns too cold.

Play well!

The name "driving iron" has been around for a long time. Originally it was a very low loft iron, less than a 1 iron, sometimes also called a '0 iron'. The first one that I knew of, was the Tommy Armour 845 14*, which they named "The Heater" LOL. The 1 iron in that set was 16*.

Those who struggled with driver consistency, would often choose to play these instead of a driver.

Nowadays, they're using the name "driving iron" to describe what is an "iron like hybrid". I actually prefer to call them hybrid-irons

Tom Wargo won the PGA Seniors about 30 years, playing PGA National, where they play the Honda today. Kept the ball in play, and really didn't sacrifice distance too much.

His was the original Ping "EYE", if I'm not mistaken.

The story as I remember it was that Wargo found that club in a garbage can.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Ping eye 2 1 iron here, still have her, even though she was as forgiving as it comes i still remember those cold frosty mornings with a youthfull hangover no practice and a thin up the first!

Yep but it does not match the sting and vibration under the same conditions ( cold and hangover) of a half Word not alloweded miss with an old Tourney Custom 985 1 iron. trust me it will sober you up QUICK!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I also have a set of Shamrock irons from the early 70's...probably one of the first sets of irons to have a hollowed out face, with a lead bar dropped into the slot, and filled with epoxy.

Probably the easiest long irons that I have ever struck, and a beautiful, soft feeling, with absolutely no problem getting the ball airborne.

@Augustgolf - I was reading an old Golf Magazine from December 1974 this morning and came across this advert !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

@Augustgolf - I was reading an old Golf Magazine from December 1974 this morning and came across this advert !

If have never hit these, they are so soft. Great launch - the grind where the face meets the sole/hosel is a thing of beauty, and they accomplished all of this ease of playing without creating a massive sized clubhead.

Will try to take some good images of my sets & post them here.

Since these are documented over 40 years old....are they truly considered "vintage"?

Thanks for posting the ad!

If you have never hit these, they are so soft. Great launch - the grind where the face meets the sole/hosel is a thing of beauty, and they accomplished all of this ease of playing without creating a massive sized clubhead.

Will try to take some good images of my sets & post them here.

Since these are documented over 40 years old....are they truly considered "vintage"?

Thanks for posting the ad!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the other posts. A driving iron is a one iron. On some sets of hickory shafted Macgregors both the name of the club was stamped along with the number on the skirt of the club. You would see driving iron and a number 1 stamped next to it. A mid iron would be stamped 2 next to it and so on. I imagine Macgregor stamped both name and number on each club in order to start the transition into numbering clubs. I saw one post where a 0 iron was mentioned. Macgregor did make a hickory shafted 0 iron which I have seen in the Kaplan book but never in person. I don't even think Teevons would have something like that but I hope that I'm wrong. Macgregor was a great innovator and usually was the first in making certain types of clubs, developing processes in club making. One example is the beveled sole on their woods. Years later Callaway came up with a nearly identical copy of that type of sole. Macgregor disputed it and ended up being in the right at the end.