High Mileage Cars - 200k Miles

Buddha

I am just under 35 miles from putting 200k miles on my car, a 2004 Alero. What other high mileage drivers are out there?

I remember when I first got the car, I wanted to get 250k. I'm quite happy with getting to 200k, and there are some things that need to be fixed, but I also don't want to sink a bunch of money into it, so not sure how many more I will get.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my baby (06' Honda Accord) up to 173k before an Word not allowedhole decided he wanted to text and drive and rear end me doing around 45 mph. Totaled the car, worst thing was that I just put $1,600 into it to make it run like new that same week.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

I like getting high mileage, I just don't drive enough to get there. I had my wrangler nearly 10 years (bought new) and only had 110k miles.

If you take decent care of most modern engines, they'll get you to 200k with zero issues. The body and interior are what will break down first since the novelty of keeping the car detailed wanes over time.

I can't possibly drive a car that much to get to 200k miles. I live 3km away from where i work. So roughly 95% of my driving is related to going to golf courses and Montreal is a short season.

My car is 3 1/2 years old and i have 32000km on it (20K miles). My last car i owned 6 years and put on 80000km (50K miles)

What usually happens is because i keep my cars in such great shape with so little miles, i get amazing trade in for them. So i get bored with them and trade them in for new cars. Even though i buy it evens out because of the low miles

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For someone who has 10 plus years experience in the automotive repair industry, the above members are what I called unicorns in my area. Given the fact where I live(western NY), the combination of our salted roads, customers willingness to not keep a vehicle or pass inspection. So given the facts I've really never seen a vehicle north of 125k miles. For those that I did see over 125K miles, they had these things in common:

A history of using at least a semi synthetic oil or better

They've had the major fluids replaced around the manufacturer's recommended mileage(Coolant, Drivetrain fluids and other services)

To the OP having a GM Dexcool era vehicle is hard to maintain seeing how bad the intakes and head gaskets fail on these models so IMHO, is very impressive.

Any car will last a consumer 200k miles due to the advancement in technology but it takes the right conditions(a long commute, proper maintenance, etc.) to get there.

I got 185K out of my old '86 Honda Accord with only regular scheduled maintenance, including regular oil changes, 3 timing belts, and a clutch. The thing was rock solid. In its later years I used it as a 2nd car for running local errands, otherwise it would have easily surpassed 200K.

Since moving into the city I have the opposite scenario, a vehicle that rarely gets driven (~6K a year). I walk to work 5 days a week, and the thing sits in my parking garage collecting dust. If I didn't need a vehicle to drive to the burbs to play golf, I'd likely sell it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I have 173k on a 2001 Ford Focus Station Wagon that I use for my 65 mile roundtrip commute. Bought it three years ago with 108k on it, and now she is really packing on the mileage. I am hoping to drive it a couple more years, be up to about 225k, before replacing it. It is worth more to me running and driving it than it is worth to sell or trade in at this point, so I might as well drive the wheels off it!

I currently have a 2004 Tacoma with approx 195,000, still runs like a dream after being daily driven and used for snow removal during the winter.

That's quite a feat. Snow removal is a b*tch on the drivetrain.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

198+k on my '00 Honda S2000.

--kC

WHat's it like driving that badboy? I always read it could be frustrating because you have to get it to like 7000rpm to get any power.

Always wanted to drive that car

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My personal record was 195,000 miles on a 1987 Toyota MR2.

I owned it from new.I drove it like a mad man most always ( young 20 something ).Then I sold it to a second owner who put 40K more trouble free miles on it.

Besides regular maintenance and brakes, I only replaced the clutch once, bushings, and shocks.

Just a superb car all the way around. Balls of fun.

"Oh what a feeling TOYOTA !"

Toyota and Honda rule the high mileage (mostly trouble free ) game. Everyone knows that...lol

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

307000 on my 2000 f150. Same engine and Trans has never been out. Valvoline synthetic every 3000 and Trans fluid change every 50000. Purrs , blows cold air and still wears all original paint that isn't peeling. Probably get another 100000 out of it hauling off the trash and doing yard work around the farm. ( isn't the daily driver anymore ).

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

307000 on my 2000 f150. Same engine and Trans has never been out. Valvoline synthetic every 3000 and Trans fluid change every 50000. Purrs , blows cold air and still wears all original paint that isn't peeling. Probably get another 100000 out of it hauling off the trash and doing yard work around the farm. ( isn't the daily driver anymore ).

That has to get expensive doesn't it blade, using synthetic and changing every 3,000? Can't argue with the results though.

That has to get expensive doesn't it blade, using synthetic and changing every 3,000? Can't argue with the results though.

More expensive than regular oil, sure, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a new truck payment. I used synthetic in my Accord, and it ran like a champ.

Great thread so far OP. It's safe to say you guys are probably hated by the dealerships and the banks because you're not financing or buying a new car as much as others do. So here's a thought for everyone: Because everyone is extending their oil changes and other maintenance, is it a conspiracy by manufacturers to make us buy more vehicles sooner? Also I'm 6 foot about 205 pounds and I have trouble getting in and out of an S2000. It's a great car and they should bring it back but make the cabin bigger. Lol.

Great thread so far OP. It's safe to say you guys are probably hated by the dealerships and the banks because you're not financing or buying a new car as much as others do. So here's a thought for everyone: Because everyone is extending their oil changes and other maintenance, is it a conspiracy by manufacturers to make us buy more vehicles sooner? Also I'm 6 foot about 205 pounds and I have trouble getting in and out of an S2000. It's a great car and they should bring it back but make the cabin bigger. Lol.

I'd like to think that no good engineer would ever agree to purposely mislead the public in order to increase sales. However, the fiasco at Volkswagen has certainly raised my eyebrows.

Still, I don't think it's a conspiracy. I always thought oil changes at 3K were overkill, but it was cheap insurance. Engines run much cleaner these days, so there's less junk getting into the oil. Many vehicles now have oil monitors, so the change interval is based on the actual condition of the oil. Lots of factors can affect the life of the lubrication, so there really was no one best number.

265,000 on my 2006 Dodge Charger. Tires and Brakes 3 times,1 battery and 1 alternator has been my experience so far.Change the oil every 3,000 (only recommended every 5000) and avoid any transmission flushing has been her regular diet. She may blow up any day now, but I've got my money's worth out of it. I bought it new with 16 miles on it. Might just go crazy and buy a used one just like it if I make it to 300,000.

More expensive than regular oil, sure, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a new truck payment. I used synthetic in my Accord, and it ran like a champ.

I know. The reason I asked was more about the amount of mileage between changes. Most synthetics are saying anywhere between 5-10 thousand miles between changes as opposed to the standard 3,000 for regular oil.

I had 212k on my F150 when the electrical system just died - kinda funny driving home from work and one by one the A/C, gauges, lights started turning off. Fortunately, I was < 5 mi from home when the fuel injectors and brakes lost power.

Currently at 178k on a Ram 1500. Getting ready to change the oil. :taunt:

I work on high end performance cars for a living. My opinion on oil changes is it depends on the application. If your towing a lot or beating on a engine a lot it's necessary. As much for the filter as the oil itself. If you've ever cut a filter open and seen what comes out it makes you a believer. Now for me I'm the guy who has never hired anyone to turn a wrench on any of my vehicles. Including warranty work . From age 15 to now. Then out of necessity ..now out of being too picky to be pleased by anyone else. I change mine in everything earlier than the recommended intervals ... Tractor , 3 trucks , Quincy air compressor , several collector cars Etc. that being said I just advised my nephew who just bought a 2012 f150 that every 5000 would be fine as he is a cautious driver who doesn't toe or haul anything. I told him if he used a high quality synthetic and he bought the 5.0 v8 he would be fine. I conversely cautioned him if he had bought the twin turbo v6 truck that he should definitely change it every 3000 as my wife's turbo f150 is changed that regularly and it comes out filthy everytime. Why ? The Turbos use engine oil as lubricant fed to the turbos via feed lines and engine oil pressure. and the turbos can see 1000 degrees plus at times .., these temps break down oil rather quickly. But ford says 6000 miles. BS! Says I !

And one more thought. I use 10w30 synthetic ( valvoline ) where the manufacturer calls for 5w20. Why does ford say 5w20 ( thinner ) for Fuel mileage. Why don't I use it ? I care more about longevity than fuel mileage. Thinner oil is less librication. Simple common sense fact. Also little know fact. A lot of engines ( ford modular being one) use engine oil pressure via plungers to keep tension on the 6 ft long timing chains that drive the overhead cam shafts.. Thinner oil when hot makes less oil pressure. How does less pressure make sense when it helps keep the timing Chain tension on an interference engine ( valves hit Pistons when timing isn't correct ) ? Answer it doesn't. We want plenty of pressure to keep the chains tight and everything where it's supposed to be.

Sorry for the rant. But in short yes auto engineers are paid to make things run at max efficiency with longevity at the middle ground of acceptability. Take it from me. Engines can easily be made to run 500k plus miles with little more than oil changes and preventative maintenance . This is never mentioned and never a selling point. Why ? Most people don't care , and don't intend to take care of a car that long. And automakers need it to be that way .

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock