2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone still have Scratch irons or wedges in the bag?

Shipwreck

I'm using Scrtach wedges since 2010 I still use my 50 53 and 58 8620 (this is a second set, the first is gone9 but I just bought from a German seller (I'm in Italy) a 53 and 58 forged that I'll use only when the others wedges will worn out.

I also have a combo set 4-6 AR1 and 7-PW SB1 I bought this for my 50th. birthday as a gift to myself, unfortunately I'm not good enough to play them, but they are so beautifull to look at ....

When I first went to the Scratch studio in Michigan, it was for a promotion they had done where you could get on their launch monitor, and check out the gaps in your current set of clubs. I did that, and afterward, one of their guys (Zach) who was taking care of me, wanted me to hit a few of their different options. When he handed me the SB-1, I laughed, and thought of all the threads on WRX about poseurs playing blades when not even most guys on Tour still play them, and told him that I was sure that was too much club for me (my handicap usually floats between 0 and 3, and I'm a pretty decent ball striker). He asked me to humor him, and take a few swings with it. By the second swing, I was hooked. I hit a bunch of shots with it, not all of them perfect strikes, and honestly, compared to the Ping S55s I brought with me, there was no difference in performance on mis-hits, and the trajectory and dispersion with the blades was a lot more consistent (part of that was that the shafts in the S55s weren't the greatest fit for me). I went back a few weeks later for a fitting and ordered my irons then, and I've never been happier with a set of clubs.

Moral of the story, don't sell yourself short -- there's a surprising amount of helpful technology in those iron designs, and you can probably handle them if you give yourself a chance.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still playing SB-1 6-p for 3 years now. Have not been able to play much the last two. I have not found anything that I would trade for other than some miura baby blades, which I have not hit. I would not change much in the irons except a smaller profile and darker finish because I have the standard. I have worn through both layers of finish on the 7 iron and a few of the faces will rust immediately if not dried after water hits them. I have not seen the cobra king mb in person but, they might be a replacement. I have the DS grind and it fits me well and for a standard grind I feel it is very good. I do notice when choking down the toe will dig on these so if I was able to change these I would grind them more like edel does.

Bought of a set of new AR1 heads from BST based on pics alone. Shafted em up with Modus 125. They feel pretty good at impact but that's about it for me. I have other sets of irons that look better to me, carry further, and more consistently. Although I doubt it, it could be because of the shafts or the build. Seriously was expecting more from the AR1's but my fault for buying without having hit them beforehand.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Bought of a set of new AR1 heads from BST based on pics alone. Shafted em up with Modus 125. They feel pretty good at impact but that's about it for me. I have other sets of irons that look better to me, carry further, and more consistently. Although I doubt it, it could be because of the shafts or the build. Seriously was expecting more from the AR1's but my fault for buying without having hit them beforehand.

Did you get the right grind? Made a huge difference for me. I bought a set of SB-1s with the DS grind and found them to be good, but they offered no advantages over any other set I played previously. Demoed the DDs and was hooked immediately. Feel and consistency were off the charts. Best irons I owned until I started tinkering.

That said, I demoed the AR-1s and was never blown away. Nice sticks, but never did it for me like their blades.

I always said that my dream set was a set of DW "MP-14" remakes. Sad to say I never got to the point of pursuing them.

I don't think the grind was the issue. Good for good, my AR1s simply don't generate the same ball speeds. Otherwise according to GC2, launch parameters aren't that far off from some of my other irons.

Like you said, the AR1s certainly don't blow me away. On the other hand, I am blown away by the 716CBs and even my old MP53's and TM300 impress me more. Again, I wish I had demoed the AR1s before I bought them.

Not bad, but there's nothing about them that makes me want to put them in the bag.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I found the AR-1s had such a small cavity that they really didn't offer anything in the forgiveness department over the blades, and that little bit of CB dampened the feel. I also got much better numbers with the SB-1s, so it was a no brainer.

When I did my fitting, I hadn't completely wrapped my head around the idea that I could handle blades in the long irons, so I hit both the AR-1 and EZ-1 to compare, and it only took a few balls to know that blades through the set were the way to go. It's proven to be the right decision, too, because my 4 iron is my favorite club in the bag. I've hit so many good shots with it, and I'm so confident with it. I might try to hunt down a SB-1 3 iron.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I found the AR-1s had such a small cavity that they really didn't offer anything in the forgiveness department over the blades, and that little bit of CB dampened the feel. I also got much better numbers with the SB-1s, so it was a no brainer.

When I did my fitting, I hadn't completely wrapped my head around the idea that I could handle blades in the long irons, so I hit both the AR-1 and EZ-1 to compare, and it only took a few balls to know that blades through the set were the way to go. It's proven to be the right decision, too, because my 4 iron is my favorite club in the bag. I've hit so many good shots with it, and I'm so confident with it. I might try to hunt down a SB-1 3 iron.

I've played with you, probably the top 1-2 guys I play with when it comes to straight ball striking. I think the scratch thing was good for you.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Grrr - hate threads like this, always gets me looking for another set of 'back-up' irons lol!

Anyone taken a set back to raw finish ? How easy is it to do ?

Thinking i might look out for a set of AR-1, strip them back to raw, (taking out the worst of any chatter marks) and then reshaft

The issue you're going to have with stripping chrome and doing clean up is weight..... You're going to lose 2-3 swingweight points in the process you'll need to make up.

Thats good to know thanks - probably as easy to get any set rechromed, by the time i find and pay a plater to remove the existing finish they might as well put chrome back on for what little extra its likely to cost

I've played with you, probably the top 1-2 guys I play with when it comes to straight ball striking. I think the scratch thing was good for you.

Stop, I'm blushing...

And yet, i'm trying to rebuild my swing this winter.

If you ever get me some ferrules, you can see how you do with blades!

Grrr - hate threads like this, always gets me looking for another set of 'back-up' irons lol!

Anyone taken a set back to raw finish ? How easy is it to do ?

Thinking i might look out for a set of AR-1, strip them back to raw, (taking out the worst of any chatter marks) and then reshaft

The issue you're going to have with stripping chrome and doing clean up is weight..... You're going to lose 2-3 swingweight points in the process you'll need to make up.

Thats good to know thanks - probably as easy to get any set rechromed, by the time i find and pay a plater to remove the existing finish they might as well put chrome back on for what little extra its likely to cost

Only issue with refinishing is that there is a chance the sole grind gets altered when the bag dings are buffed out prior to rechroming. I had a set of 690MBs that never played the same after refinishing for this reason. Just be careful if you go that route with the Scratch irons/wedges. It would be a shame to lose the specialty grind unnecessarily.

Been reading golfwrx for years, haven't posted in years. Back when Scratch moved to Chattanooga from Oregon in 2009 they posted here asking for volunteers to help them unload their trucks and move in. They offered food, a custom club, and a round of golf at a private club, but no pay. Quite a few guys showed up that day, I was one. I grew up in Chattanooga but live a couple hours away. I never got the round of golf but I do have my custom wedge with my name engraved on the back. A prize possession of mine, golf wise.

Come out to Sweetens Cove Golf Club for a round on me for the effort....ya know.

Sent you a PM.

57560c10df56d4266740f51dc963a345.jpg

36d80bed574e0ff512c790309f1aefc7.jpg

Ground Fall 2013. Custom design with wide ramped sole, mid-cog

Set is gapped in 4's starting at 16 down to 48. Standard toe, high bounce + camber with softer edges.

My specs in the past had always been +1/2", 2 up, D-4 and heavier shafts (Nippon SP Blue/Orange, TT Tour Concept). I wanted this set to be shorter (38" 5i) and made for lighter shafts (110g vs 125+g), as a result the heads are a bit heavier than previous sets.

I ran through a few shafts with this set, eventually ended up throwing in some Super Peening Blues and playing them for a bit....kind of defeated the light weight experiment.

I'll probably rebuild them soon but this is the least played set I have. The 20 degree got kicked out for an EZ-1 Don made for a previous set and the 16 degree is a Virgin.

The next set I'll post has more rounds on them than any set I own.

Set is gapped in 4's starting at 16 down to 48. Standard toe, high bounce + camber with softer edges.

My specs in the past had always been +1/2", 2 up, D-4 and heavier shafts (Nippon SP Blue/Orange, TT Tour Concept). I wanted this set to be shorter (38" 5i) and made for lighter shafts (110g vs 125+g), as a result the heads are a bit heavier than previous sets.

I ran through a few shafts with this set, eventually ended up throwing in some Super Peening Blues and playing them for a bit....kind of defeated the light weight experiment.

I'll probably rebuild them soon but this is the least played set I have. The 20 degree got kicked out for an EZ-1 Don made for a previous set and the 16 degree is a Virgin.

Fantastic set of clubs Patrick!

Just started playing the spb's myself, about six months ago, awesome shafts!!

Such awesome sticks. Do my eyes deceive me, or do these have a touch of Hogan Radial in the soles? Custom stamp is an awesome touch, too.

Such awesome sticks. Do my eyes deceive me, or do these have a touch of Hogan Radial in the soles? Custom stamp is an awesome touch, too.

The soles on this and the next 2 sets are as wide as the raw heads allow for.

Not nearly as wide as a Radial, but pretty beefy.

Still have both my sets and all of my wedges. Everything has been so boring OEM-wise, some of the most fun I've had adding functional designs to my golf clubs was with Patrick and Scratch. Very sad we never got to see them make the next big step.. but fortunate to have two custom DW sets. Might have to put them back in the bag.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Still have both my sets and all of my wedges. Everything has been so boring OEM-wise, some of the most fun I've had adding functional designs to my golf clubs was with Patrick and Scratch. Very sad we never got to see them make the next big step.. but fortunate to have two custom DW sets. Might have to put them back in the bag.

I feel this sentiment. I wish I could have taken advantage of the opportunity before they closed the doors.

I always thought that was your best WITB, the Scratch Irons and Wedges with NIKE VR LTD Driver and 3 wood, and any Scotty

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I always dream of finding a left handed set of blades with conforming grooves, but I know they don't exist. There are some lefty sets out there but I have never found ones with conforming grooves.

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

I kick myself now for not going the full Tour department route. When I got mine, I still had some lingering doubts about whether I really could handle blades long-term, and I figured that I'd play my stock heads for a few years, and if I really loved them, I'd go all out and get a TD set that would check all my boxes from looks to performance. Honestly, I don't know that I'd ever find anything that performs better than what I have, which speaks to how good the stock offering was, but that ability to get something so incredibly unique was really special, and I feel like I missed out a little. I can't think of any operation currently that offers that level of customization for the amateur player.

Here are my four sets of Don White Scratch irons. All are 3-PW.

From left to right;

EZ Square Toe, 4 leaf clover stamping

SB 1, star stamping

Ryan Moore's custom AR's in chrome

AR/EZ PAC Man stamping

Patrick, if you have time, can you shed anymore light on RM's set. What was he looking for in a set? Preferred grind, type of shot making he required.

I will post further pictures of his set later on.

With the arrival of RM's set, which is absolute perfection, I might have to sell the Pac Man and probably the square toes as well. We will see.

Patrick, if you have time, can you shed anymore light on RM's set. What was he looking for in a set? Preferred grind, type of shot making he required.

Mostly when RM worked with Don it was about getting the shape to his liking (slightly higher toe peak, crisp lines if I remember correctly) . He visited the shop numerous times to oversee clubs being made.

The sole on his iron sets was pretty much D/S in bounce but with no killed leading edge or camber, all the sets had just a whiff of offset. I think we made him at least 10 different wedge grinds to mess around with.

There were two sets of AR-1s made, a set of square toe EZ-1s (he came in March to get these made for the Masters, said he wanted something he could launch higher and bring down softer for those greens... made the ace in '10 with this set), a mess of wedges and a McCoy ground set of flatbacks.

There was a particular blue he liked (think I still have some) that we used for his paintfill and I had ferrules made to specifically match the paint. Shafts were all DG Lite X-100 in the irons, grips were ribbed TV until PURE made a mold with a rib and he switched over to those. Lengths were pretty standard and I think a degree or two upright.

I always dream of finding a left handed set of blades with conforming grooves, but I know they don't exist. There are some lefty sets out there but I have never found ones with conforming grooves.

They don't exist, LH irons were never made with conforming grooves. I can count on one hand the number of TD left handed iron sets sold over the years.

There are definitely some TD Wedges out there with conforming grooves however.

I enjoyed working with you on those projects as well. You knew exactly what you wanted and had fun seeing them come together.

The flatback set was probably the most documented build I worked on from start to finish and am pretty sure I personally assembled both iron and Wedges sets.

Some great pics in this thread. Nice to see people still enjoying their clubs. Thanks to everyone for the support over the years. I'm really proud of what we did, we had a great run. I'll try to take some pics and post some of my clubs to add to the thread.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I wanted to get a TD set for myself as a wedding present, but at the time they couldn't offer lefty with conforming grooves so i'm not sure you'll find any. This was before local am events and stuff had really addressed what they were going to do with the groove rule and i play in a few odd tournies. Turns out none of the mid-ams and stuff around here ever really enforced it to my knowledge. But at the time didn't know so didn't get the set

In retrospect i wish i had ordered a set

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I wanted to get a TD set for myself as a wedding present, but at the time they couldn't offer lefty with conforming grooves so i'm not sure you'll find any. This was before local am events and stuff had really addressed what they were going to do with the groove rule and i play in a few odd tournies. Turns out none of the mid-ams and stuff around here ever really enforced it to my knowledge. But at the time didn't know so didn't get the set

In retrospect i wish i had ordered a set

They don't exist. I already knew it, Scratchtastic just reconfirmed it