Things to do while waiting for Bandon

Edaw68

Just over two months until my annual Bandon trip, and I've got the itch, especially since there's no golf in my area due to snow. What do you guys do to occupy the wait time? So far I've:

-reread a bunch of old Bandon threads on GolfWRX.

-rearranged/redone my golf bag load out in preparation for a ton of walking.

-browsed and spent too much money on golf crap online.

Thinking about reading Dream Golf again.

Here's how I'll be passing the time until February:

1. Re-read every post on WRX that contains the word 'Bandon.'

2. Re-read 'Dream Golf' (twice).

3. Clean and polish everything that is even remotely golf-related (including vehicle tires), even though I'll play several rounds between now and then.

4. Completely unload and re-load both golf bags (cart and carry). Spend at least one full week internally debating the club arrangement and which pocket the Sharpie will go into. Which reminds me: I need to pick up at least three more Sharpies, as four is probably not enough.

5. Buy more rangefinder batteries. 5 or 6 should cover any eventualities.

6. Sharpen every scoring pencil, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

7. Count and evenly distribute the tees in each bag, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

8. Run through the hole-by-hole descriptions on the website, comparing each with my course guides, which have some handwritten notes.

9. Compare each photo of each hole with the ones I've taken on my trips and decide if I should get a better photo of that hole. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

10. Review the strategy for each hole, even though the likelihood is that my tee shot will end up in a place I have never considered possible.

11. Refine the packing list (daily) in order to possibly avoid the need to rent a 32' Uhaul truck for the 4-day trip.

12. During daylight hours, check the webcams for each of the courses, and write-up a swing analysis for each of the players teeing off. Build an Excel spreadsheet for these and forward to Grant Rogers (daily).

13. Try to avoid checking the weather forecast.

14. When I check the weather forecast, imagine what ZR/layering I would be wearing if I were playing today.

15. Decide which restaurant onsite I'll be visiting for each meal, examine the menus and make my meal choices. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, making special notes on which salad dressing and how many pads of butter will be needed.

16. Try to avoid talking to anyone outside of WRX about the trip, as they've all heard it a million times, and are already beginning to think that I'm way too obsessed about the place, which is clearly an exaggeration.

Fill in the spare hours playing the par three holes (badly) on the Bandon website.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Spud,

That is the greatest single post in the history of this board. 12 and 15 nearly made me pee myself.

Prior to my first trip, I meticulously tracked out the walking distances for each course on Google earthed and put each course on the spread sheet to calculate my walking distance each day. I am not sue how accurate it turned out to be..

3. Clean and polish everything that is even remotely golf-related (including vehicle tires), even though I'll play several rounds between now and then.

4. Completely unload and re-load both golf bags (cart and carry). Spend at least one full week internally debating the club arrangement and which pocket the Sharpie will go into. Which reminds me: I need to pick up at least three more Sharpies, as four is probably not enough.

6. Sharpen every scoring pencil, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

7. Count and evenly distribute the tees in each bag, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

8. Run through the hole-by-hole descriptions on the website, comparing each with my course guides, which have some handwritten notes.

9. Compare each photo of each hole with the ones I've taken on my trips and decide if I should get a better photo of that hole. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

10. Review the strategy for each hole, even though the likelihood is that my tee shot will end up in a place I have never considered possible.

11. Refine the packing list (daily) in order to possibly avoid the need to rent a 32' Uhaul truck for the 4-day trip.

12. During daylight hours, check the webcams for each of the courses, and write-up a swing analysis for each of the players teeing off. Build an Excel spreadsheet for these and forward to Grant Rogers (daily).

14. When I check the weather forecast, imagine what ZR/layering I would be wearing if I were playing today.

15. Decide which restaurant onsite I'll be visiting for each meal, examine the menus and make my meal choices. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, making special notes on which salad dressing and how many pads of butter will be needed.

16. Try to avoid talking to anyone outside of WRX about the trip, as they've all heard it a million times, and are already beginning to think that I'm way too obsessed about the place, which is clearly an exaggeration.

Fill in the spare hours playing the par three holes (badly) on the Bandon website.

I should take a class on Excel.

Spud,

That is the greatest single post in the history of this board. 12 and 15 nearly made me pee myself.

Prior to my first trip, I meticulously tracked out the walking distances for each course on Google earthed and put each course on the spread sheet to calculate my walking distance each day. I am not sue how accurate it turned out to be..

Note to self: purchase Fitbit.

This is in my top 5 of all time golf forum posts. Not only did I pick up some things I can do until our trip in late March but I really enjoyed the sprinkling of humor! Thanks for this Kevin!

Just over two months until my annual Bandon trip, and I've got the itch, especially since there's no golf in my area due to snow. What do you guys do to occupy the wait time? So far I've:

Buy an industrial size fan and put it in front of a treadmill in your garage.

Hang a garden hose just above the fan and turn them both on.

Practice walking into almost horizontal rain.

Taste test bourbon and scotch to figure out what to fill the flask with is a fun win win way to kill some time. Plus you can do it everyday. hahaha.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Buy an industrial size fan and put it in front of a treadmill in your garage.

Hang a garden hose just above the fan and turn them both on.

Practice walking into almost horizontal rain.

Now this is some practical advice....

Taste test bourbon and scotch to figure out what to fill the flask with is a fun win win way to kill some time. Plus you can do it everyday. hahaha.

Buz - you and I most definitely need to tee it up together some time...

Check these out. Cost me almost as much as a green fee at Pebble! If I can sell them, I could pay for an entire week at Bandon! Hahaha.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

I got one for the list...

use Google Earth to view the layouts. You can even break out the "measuring stick" tool and plot your club choice.

My group is in a veritable debate on whether or not to caddie. I'm a little biased, as I spent most of my adult life in what I think is a similar career, as a whitewater raft guide. Liking the idea of everyone kicking in $40 - give the guy $160 and don't ask him to carry a bag, just walk around and tell us about the course.

use Google Earth to view the layouts. You can even break out the "measuring stick" tool and plot your club choice.

My group is in a veritable debate on whether or not to caddie. I'm a little biased, as I spent most of my adult life in what I think is a similar career, as a whitewater raft guide. Liking the idea of everyone kicking in $40 - give the guy $160 and don't ask him to carry a bag, just walk around and tell us about the course.

Yeah, excellent idea. I've been all over google earth.

The caddy services include a plan for a forecaddie for a foursome, which is exactly what you're describing. I think the going rate is $100 for the foursome, plus whatever tips you feel are appropriate. For that rate, you get all the course knowledge, green reading, ball finding and charm, just not the guy lugging your bag as well.

I think it's a great way to go, especially for a first time round on a course.

We just had our Bandon Trip this past November and it was amazing. The first round was on Bandon Dunes in the best possible weather, the next morning was possible worst possible wind and rain so we played 8 deep on the Preserve par 3 course and then Pacific Dunes, finished out the trip with Old Macdonald. I took a caddie for all 3 rounds and it proved well worth it for a big time Hack like myself. Lots of booze, stogies, and good times.

p.s. - Check out the 1/2 off clearance racks in all of the pro shops.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

Flasks? One night every restaurant and bar was packed so we just pulled up benches outside of the main shop. Sell the Pappy and go to Bandon or even just the PVW 23 and drink the ORVW 10 there with your buddies.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

If you really want to get ready. Every big storm between now and your trip, go out and play. Rain, go play. Wind, go play. Rain and wind, play 36. Then go home, stand in the mirror and practice your delivery for your best shots of the day. Work on being loud at the right time in the story so you can properly speak louder than everyone in your group.

Once comfortable with that, work on your debate skills because inevitably someone in the group will have too much to drink and begin to argue with you why your favorite course isn't the best (most likely to place in the Bunker Bar.)

Only after all this is accomplished, go to your local high school football field and practice hitting punch shot on artificial turf to see how far they run, then break out the hybrid and work on your putting distance. Stand on the goal line and work on putting to each yard line starting at with the 30 and working your way all the way to the other goal line. Then you will be truly ready for Bandon.

• 1 year later...

Typically I spend my evenings re-reading Dream Golf, but this year it's all about Zen Golf. Gonna go full mental this year and stay present. This has been my kryptonite in past years. The courses are so beautiful and at times really challenging, so I'm working on my focus this year. Cut down significantly on my drinking too, so maybe I'll save some coin and my liver this time. hahaha.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

I've owned that book for many years, and have read it a couple times before, but not until this last time was I ready to really absorb and attempt to apply what's said. I've put it to the test a few times at the range and once on course, and it's been ridiculously good. A lot of how and where and when to focus, how to accept results, how to get the best out of yourself, without tying yourself up in swing mechanics, etc...............anyway, it's been a revelation so far. Plus there's a lot in there that you can apply to your regular life, work, kids, rush hour traffic etc.................

I have most of Bob Rotella's books and enjoy them as well. This one is a bit more specific to zen/buddhist teachings and philosophy.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...

...sorta....

Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.

Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...

...sorta....

Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.

Positive thoughts only!!

...sorta....

Positive thoughts only!!

Yes, it's time for the teeth-gnashing about how good the weather is now vs. what it will be like in three weeks...

I try to breathe deeply and remember that every time I've gone, while I may have a day or so (if that) of Monsoon, the rest have all worked out fine.

I will go, I will play, I will love it.

Pearl - what are your dates?

Yes, I am in near full panic watching the weather and feeling like there are only so many great weather days and they are all getting used up before I get there in 3 weeks. This will be my first trip (thanks Spud for the invite). Getting to play with a veteran is great. Spud's been giving me great advice about how to prepare. My work has taken quite the beating as I am consumed about this trip!