2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pulling adapter off graphite shaft...without a puller??

TomBomb51

Hey all,

I do most club work myself, the only thing I really dont do is loft adjustments and pulling graphite shafts. When it comes to pulling graphite shafts, everyone has their own input. Some say YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PULLER!!! others say, dont be stupid and overheat it and pull straight and you will be fine. I really dont feel like driving to our local Dicks Sporting Goods and paying 10 bucks every time I feel like tinkering, which is like every month...I want to be able to do this myself. That being said, I do not want to pay for a shaft puller. The guy that has done a bunch for me doesn't use a shaft puller and he has one right in front of him. I also have had Golf Galaxy do a couple of mine, some of my friends and ANOTHER Dick's store and none of them use pullers....even though they all have big floor model pullers.

I have never sat there and watched them, or even asked them how they are doing it for that matter, but even the club techs arent even using pullers, why should I? I am super careful and meticulous with everything I do, I feel like this should be an easy thing to accomplish.

Anyone have experience pulling a bunch of graphite shafts off adapters without pullers? If so, any simple steps to follow? I know not to twist as it can ruin the fibers, same goes for overheating...

I like golf. A lot.

I'm highly skeptical of the claims that guys in shops are pulling graphite, sans puller even though ones right in front of them. That makes zero sense and would make me hesitant to hand over any club of mine for them to work on.

At any rate, it sounds like you have the needed info. Don't use too much heat and pull the tip straight off. Figuring out how to do that is the difficult part. I've yet to accomplish it perfectly. But I stopped trying and bought a puller.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I have never sat there and watched them, or even asked them how they are doing it for that matter, but even the club techs arent even using pullers, why should I? I am super careful and meticulous with everything I do, I feel like this should be an easy thing to accomplish.

If you've never sat there and watched them how do you know they're not using a puller?

https://barrettgolfextractor.com/product/55 Go spend $80 bucks and don't worry about it again. This way you won't mess any shafts up, even 1 bad pull on a high end graphite is more costly than the $80 investment here.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Ventus TR Black 5X
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 Oban CT 125X

Apex TCB Raw 5-9 Oban CT 125X
Vokey Raw 46, 50M, 54V, 60M KBS Tour 130X

LAB DF 2.1

I've done a bunch pulls without and never failed. Just put it in a rubber clamp to hold it in place, heat it up and if needed use an adjustable wrench to carefully knock it off slowly. I set the wrench so that it doesnt touch the shaft and only the adapter and tap it gently with a hammer. Works like a charm and I have yet to mess up a shaft this way. Its not the professional way but its cheap and it works fine if youre careful

If you've never sat there and watched them how do you know they're not using a puller?

https://barrettgolfe....com/product/55 Go spend $80 bucks and don't worry about it again. This way you won't mess any shafts up, even 1 bad pull on a high end graphite is more costly than the $80 investment here.

Well I wouldn't think someone would lie to me about something like that. I saw this posted yesterday, I am considering it just figured it would be easier to do it myself without one. Guess not :)

I like golf. A lot.

https://barrettgolfe....com/product/55 Go spend $80 bucks and don't worry about it again. This way you won't mess any shafts up, even 1 bad pull on a high end graphite is more costly than the $80 investment here.

Forgive me for not using the search function at the moment, but there is at least one thread here from back in the day with a guy who built one of these himself using his bench vice.

The link above looks like a very handy tool, not over priced either.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

All you need is a lever type puller- as long as you're careful how much heat you use you'll be fine. Maltby sells the one below for $10. It's the only one I've ever used and I've never ruined a shaft I cared about.

GSRT.jpg

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5*   Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider copper cobalt 35"

This thread is about the exact same topic. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1374506-pulling-adapter-from-a-driver-shaft-wo-puller-can-this-be-done/

Inside I detail how to remove an adapter without using a puller.

Repost: (since people seem to be allergic to the search function here).

If you have a bench vice, a 1" screw that threads into the adapter, and a torch the adapter can be pulled easily with minimal risk.

Aim the torch flame right at the adapter, keeping away from the shaft itself. Keep the flame moving on all sides of the adapter and count for 7 seconds. Then quickly move to the vice and clamp the screw head snuggly and pull straight back on the shaft with the grip and the shaft will pull right out. If you are too slow you may have to heat a few seconds longer.

Do not twist the shaft and do not use a heat gun, use a torch. The heat gun spews heat over too wide an area and will heat up the shaft too much.

Once you get the shaft out quickly grab a clean rag and wipe off the shaft tip to remove the hot epoxy. Similarly, get a wire brush or rolled up tube of sandpaper down into the hosel to clean out the hot epoxy while it's soft.

Easy job.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Do not pull it without a puller. It's not worth it fraying a good shaft just to save a couple dollars.

Titleist TS2 9.5 Evenflow white 6.0 65g
Titleist TS2 15 Hzrdus smoke 6.0 70g
Titleist 818 H2 19 atmos blue 80g
Titleist U500 4 iron Hzrdus smoke 6.0 80g
Titleist AP2 718 5 - pw amt white s300 
Vokey SM8: 50f, 54s, 58m grind s200
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 35"
ProV1

For what it's worth OP I own the barrett one posted above and it's awesome and very easy to use. I love mine. Haven't ruined a shaft yet

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 6.5
  • TM SIM Ti 17.5* - Tensei AV White 2.0 75TX
  • TM Stealth 2+ 20* 6 wood Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8S
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

My homemade puller. Parts required, found mine scattered around my basement/garage;

1- cheap bottle jack

2- cheap vise

3- cheap pipe flare block (don't have one? lane 4, plumbing supplies at your local hardware)

4- one 1/4 x 1 bolt/washer

Step one- drill/tap top of jack ram

two- mount flare block on top of ram using 1/4 bolt

three- select position, mount vise, jaws vertical position, on leg/side of work bench with your choice of lag screws

four- drill holes in base of jack and mount jack on top/side of vise or top of your work bench, I strapped mine with a ratchet strap (ugly but effective, and I

was in a hurry, 3 yrs later still there)

five- clamp shaft into vise, shaft tip up thru the hole in flare block or use metric screw/washer thru flare block into tip, operate jack to apply upward pressure

on tip, fire torch and heat tip (stop when it moves-less heat the better), jack it/pull tip off.

Nary a shaft ruined, cheap, works perfect. I've pulled many, many shafts and saved numerous ferrules without any type of condom, wrap, jelly ect....

• 2 years later...

i remove graphite shafts with a vice that is bolted down to my workbench, and very secure. it is quite easy...

1. remove the ferrule (cut it off)

2. adjust the vice jaws so that the shaft can drop in between horizontally with no slop, but no restriction.

o the club hosel will rest against the one side of the vice jaws

o when open, my vice jaws aren't quite parallel, so i use the end of the jaws with the smaller gap to rest the club hosel

3. take the club out of the vice, and heat the hosel by rotating over a flame tip for 5 seconds

4. quickly place shaft in vice horizontally, with hosel against the side of the vice jaws, shaft between the vice jaws, and pull HARD on the shaft STRAIGHT out horizontally

o it probably won't come out first time, but it might

5. re-heat for 5 seconds, rotating hosel over flame

6. repeat step 4 and 5 until it does

key is heat the hosel just enough, and not to much. keep repeating, and be patient. the shafts generally come out for me on the 2nd try. only had to do 4 heats a couple of times. also, the head will drop straight down when the shaft does come out. make sure you have something to catch it so it doesn't fall to floor and get all banged up