GIVEAWAY: Post Your Favorite Tiger Woods Memory, Win His New Book (The 1997 Masters: My Story)

2009 PGA championship. Unlike other comments this one didn't turn out well for tiger. Up to this point he pretty much seemed unbeatable with a Sunday lead. In fact, he led by two going into the final round. Tiger shot a 75 and lost to Y.E. Yang. I remember watching this final round in disbelief from the clubhouse I was working in. It was that day that he started to seem like a human being...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The putt on the 17th at Sawgrass.... "better than most".....

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Epic Super Hybrid 20* Ventus HB 8

Srixon ZX MKII Utility 23* Recoil Dart 90

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Edel SMS 56* V Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
LAB Mezz 

Would have to be the 08 US Open, I had to travel abroad during that week and didn't have access to any TV feeds at my ultimate destination (middle of South Africa with dial-up speed internet), ended up going to some foreign technology store at an obscure mall live streaming the feed on a computer they had, caught his last 3 holes in regulation, when the putt dropped on 18 I made quite a scene among the foreigners I was around.

I went to all 4 days of the 2000 PGA championship. On Sunday, my friend and I stayed at 18 all day long. Seeing Tiger make the sliding 6 footer to send it to a playoff, then watching him get up and down from the front bunker to secure the win was something I will never forget. He was at the height of his powers back then, and the duel that he had with Bob May will go down in history.

As a Michigan native I'd like to share a memory from my times visiting the Buick Open (such a shame it hasn't come back to the PGA Tour schedule yet). This was always a really fun tournament to visit because the course was easy to walk, the practice facility was really accessible, and there were always fun activities to participate with on the grounds. Anyway, I remember in 2005 visiting during the Wednesday pro/am and practice round, great fun to get close to Tiger during his round. Afterwards he went to the practice tee to work with Hank Haney who was there. He worked through the typical evolution of clubs and finally got to the driver. Here is where it got interesting and cool all at the same time. So he had the driver which he used during the pro/am and then a Nike rep brought out eight (I remember counting very specifically) other Ignite drivers and gave them to Hank. He laid them all out against Tiger's bag and Tiger went to work hitting a few balls with each one. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single shot he hit with those drivers had a 5-7 yard fade on them perfectly off of a telephone pole at the end of the range. It was like watching a YouTube video on repeat. After he went through the lot of those drivers, after his last swing with the last one he paused for a moment, looked at the ones laying against his bag and simply pointed to the third one from the left and told Hank "That's the one". I was absolutely amazed at how he could just pick the one he wanted that felt best after hitting eight additional drivers to the gamer he had in his bag already.

As a side note to this story, there were three guys standing next to me watching Tiger at the same time and I laughed so hard when it happened but one of them boldly stated "Who does this guy think he is telling Tiger how to hit the ball? Does he think he's like a special teacher or something?". I turned over and told the guys "That's Hank Haney", and they just kind of chuckled. Anyway, I will always remember this day as one of my favorites because of how tuned Tiger looked on the range, but also how incredible it was that he just "picked" one driver out of nine to say "that's it" after hitting them all almost exactly the same.

So many great shots already mentioned - so many others that could be mentioned. I think of the other great things from back then were the commercials - the original Nike one with him bouncing the ball off the wedge (behind the back, etc) and thinking that it had to be a CGI effect. One that truly showed his mastery with the golf club had him flighting multiple shots into different window panes in an abandoned factory - it was magnificent and looked like it was one take. And then who can forget the classics with Frank the headcover (hey dont dump that 5 iron in the bunker...) Ah, good times.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]George Costanza: "Every instinct I have, in every part of my life, be it something to wear, something to eat...It's all been wrong."[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Jerry Seinfeld: "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right"[/font]

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]www.gamegolf.com/player/numbersguy54[/font]

tiger woods got me into golf. i saw first saw him as a thrilling 21 year old playing in the masters in 1997. the iconic fist pump on 18 on sunday, the big bear hug with his dad after he had won. i didn't really know what it meant in a grander sense to have him win that tournament, i just knew that i had to try this game. i immediately went out the next day and bought my first set of golf clubs. it was $129 for a full bag special: ping clones, northwestern woods, stand bag, glove, dozen balls.

i owe my love for the game to tiger. it's been 20 years since that first masters. man, how time flies.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I dont have a single defining moment, there are many.

The 97 masters was real cool IMO.

Actually really any of the Masters - you see his singular determination when he's on those grounds.

But for me I think what will always stick out is the "no DQ" in '13. What a way to swing a guy's momentum. If he drops that ball closer to his original swing - we might be talking about how many more majors he's still winning.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist AP1 4-5
Titleist AP2 6-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Toulon Design Rochester

For me and there's easily 50-100 greatest shot moments! But if I have to pick one and to be different then probably almost everyones single favorite shot at Augusta 2005. I pick the Chip in at Memorial 2012, where Tiger's in that super deep lush rough, staring down at a half buried golfball with a downhill lie. A near impossible shot to a green that's rolling 13-14 on the stump meter, he's got to be thinking don't chunk it, don't blade it, there's a pond lurking. But as per usual Tiger takes that full swing flop shot, only to watch it pop straight up in the air land about as soft as it possibly can and roll to find the bottom of the cup, to turn to the crowd as only Tiger could with that super fist pump with Rickie Fowler watching in awe! As most of any of us would be, WOW what a shot!

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

Has to be the walk-in putt on the first playoff hole of the 2000 PGA Championship at Valhalla! Bob may stuck his pitch shot from the deep rough to two feet, guaranteeing himself a par. Tiger followed by holing an 18ft birdie putt, giving himself a 1 stroke lead with 2 holes to play. The putt was clutch, the reaction, electric:

Nothing better than Tiger in his prime.

2008 US Open hands down, quick backstory..

Played golf since age 10, good player even in high school and college. Graduated in 07 took a generic sales job, quit after a year with no idea what to do with my life. As an already big Tiger fan of course I watched the US Open at Torrey sitting at my moms house with little else to do...

On a fractured leg (no idea how he even put the tee in the ground), Tiger doubles the first hole of the tournament, discouraging but any Tiger fan knows isn't the end of the world. Gets momentum and claws all the way back to one back going into round 3...

Doubles the 1st hole AGAIN! But makes a few birdies and about to hit the back 9 at +2 for the day. Hits it miles right on 13, still hits it past the flag in 2 and makes the huge 60 footer for eagle. Nothing is better than a fired up Tiger. Chips in on a bad lie on 17 for birdie. 18th hole big drive, high cut 5 wood grimacing in pain and drains ANOTHER long putt for eagle. Cant remember ever seeing a more magical 6 hole stretch.

Then of course one down going into the last hole, bad drive, bad layup, has to get up and down. Hits the wedge to 18 feet and BOOM makes it. Never even thought for a second that he would miss that and he didn't dissappoint. Probably one of the most clutch up and downs of all time

Next day was glued to the TV watching the playoff and it kind of hit me. I had always loved golf and cannot remember a time where I cared so passionately about anything. Tiger of course goes on to win and I remember walking into my kitchen and telling my mom I wanted to be a golf professional. Been one ever since...

Thanks Tiger

Tiger hitting out of the bunker on 18 at Glen Abbey at the Canadian Open. Watching that shot and tournament turned me from somebody who partook in high school golf club to have a few days off school (and 'help' the girls learn...don't judge lol) and into a golfer. Finally played The Abbey last year (before it's demolished soon for housing) and tried the shot. No 6 iron for me, hit a 4 hybrid. And topped it out of wet sand lol. Ah well, still tried!

Tiger and I share the same birthdate (Dec 30). I have a tradition of playing golf every year on my birthday, going back to when I was very young. Fortunately living in Southern California provides ample opportunities to play in December. Many years ago, on my 27th birthday, I went to H.G. Dad Miller golf course in Anaheim to play as a single. The starter rushed me out to a two-some standing on the first tee. I approach a father and son who were just about to tee off and introduced myself. The father was Earl, and he introduced his son "Tiger"...I thought to myself that it was an interesting name. A few pleasantries with Earl, I learn that it was also Tiger's 13th birthday. Cool.

They insisted that I tee off first. The first hole is a rather unremarkable short starting hole, straight shot about 300 from the white markers. I remember I hit it around 250 left center. Why would I remember that? "Tiger" is next and rips a big drive, flying past my ball, and stops approximately 15 yards short of the hole. "Fluke" I was thinking. 13 year old just hit is 285? No fluke, gets up and makes birdie.

We had nice conversation the entire round, although I recall Tiger was shy said very little. He let his golf do all the talking.

Titleist TS3 Tensei Pro White
Titleist 917f2 Diamana Whiteboard
TM Rescue09
Mizuno MP-18SC TT AMT
Vokey SM7 Wedges 51, 56, 60
Scotty Newport 1.5 Custom
Titleist ProV1, Bridgestone BXs, KSig

I can point without hesitation to Tiger's chip shot on 16 at Augusta during the 2005 Masters as the exact moment that I fell in love with golf. When I replay it in my mind, I can still see the sea of thousands of people watching on in tension-filled silence as Tiger measured out his landing spot and line to the hole over and over and over again. After his swing, the ball landed at what seemed an impossible distance from the hole and rolled all the way to the lip of the cup, where it rested for almost 2 entire seconds before the roars from the crowd seemed to push it in. Tiger's signature fist pump, together with what was a completely improbable save of his 1-shot lead over Chris DiMarco, created pure magic that I've never forgotten.

Before that moment, I never understood how anyone could be crazy about golf. Since that moment, and even up to this day, I can't understand how anyone couldn't be.

Sitting with two of my boys on the upslope of the embankment behind the green at the Byron Nelson (1998?). Tiger's approach shot is long and settles about 5 feet from us. We don't move and anxiously await our brush with golfing greatness. Tiger hits a little chip that bounces twice on the fringe, then rolls up about fout feet short of the pin. As the ball is starting its roll after the second bounce, Tiger says in a low whisper that only we hear (think Moses): "ONE bounce, not TWO!" My sons and I have used those words to solve every difficulty we have faced in life ever since. One bounce, not two.

Anytime he hit that stinger with his fairways or a long iron. Amazing.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80

Callaway Apex 21° - GD Tour AD DI 95
Taylormade P790 (5-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

The 2008 US Open is my favorite Tiger memory. The putt to force the playoff was incredible and the celebration was even better.

"There are probably some things I could do to keep my flexibility up, but I'd rather smoke, drink diet Cokes and eat." - John Daly

Cobra Fly Z+ Matrix Ozik White Tie
Cobra Fly Z+ 4/5 UST ProForce V2 Black 
Ping Anser 20* Matrix Ozik Altus
Ping Anser 23* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-GW True Temper XP 105
Cobra Tour Trusty 54* 58* KBS Tour Custom Series 
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My Dad and I went to the 2002 US Open at Bethpage. I was a young teenager at the time and Tiger was my idol. We followed him around the course, trying to get the best look at his swing while also battling every other fan for that perfect view. On the long par 5 4th, I managed to crawl thru the crowd and get a good look at his tee shot. After he nuked it, he looked down while walking off the tee, made eye contact with me, and winked. I couldn't believe it.

We kept following him for the rest of the round, it was Thursday so it wasn't too crowded. Around the 16th hole, I again snaked my way thru the crowds to watch him putt. (Being a kid and short really does have its advantages.) After he finished on the green, my Dad and I were walking to the next hole, and Tiger's mom was right next to us. She looked at me, smiled, and said, "Here, have a Tiger Woods pin. Thanks for supporting him." I still have that pin. Amazing day for a 13 year old.

I have two memories. Both happened at the same venue, Harding Park in San Francisco, but on two different occasions.

1. At the 2009 President's Cup. I was a spectator on either a Thursday or Friday. Tiger hit a wayward tee shot which ended up in the fenced off pot-a-potty area. Naturally everyone rushed over to the ball which nestled up right against one of the fences. Luckily enough, I was one of the first to get there and found myself standing right in front of the ball in the small crowd that fit into the area. As the crowd started to split, I see Tiger walking up from my right. As he approaches, he is looking around at the ground... left, right, up, down... and it didn't seem like he knew where is ball was. I say, "Hey, Tiger. It's right there" and point to the ball. Tiger looks at me in the eyes, then I can see his eyes trace down from my face to my shoulders, then down my arm, then to my pointing finger, and straight to the ball. After spotting the ball, he looked back at me, nodded, then proceeded to mark his ball, take his drop, and play his shot.

2. At the 2005 WGC – American Express Championship, I was once again a spectator, I believe on a Thursday. It turned out that John Daly was in the group ahead of Tiger which made for some fun viewing and a lot of crowds. So folks I was with decided we would jump up ahead and watch Daly's group, stay in our spot and watch Tiger's group, rinse and repeat. On this day, there was a drive-able par 4. So we made it a point to get up to the green to watch Daly attempt to drive the green and stay behind to watch Tiger's attempt. Daly up first, knocks it on the green and makes his putt for eagle. Thought it was pretty sweet to see such a perfectly played hole. After seeing that, I eagerly waited to see how Tiger fared on the hole. Luckily, I didn't have to wait long. He also, proceeded to knock it on the green, make the putt for eagle, followed by a mild Tiger fist pump. He then walked over to Stevie and gave him a low five with a sheeply grin and they stood green side in front of me while his playing competitors finished the hole. If that wasn't enough of a great memory, seeing back to back eagles on a drive-able par 4, I went back to my uncle's place after the round. Turned on the TV to catch some highlights. Naturally the back to back eagles were highlighted and they even showed the low five with Stevie after Tiger's eagle and then I see it... my face in the crowd right between Tiger and Stevie as the low five is happening.

I was 10 when Tiger won at the 1997 Masters and I got into golf in large part due to Tiger. What I remember more than anything was how fun it was to root for him on Sundays with my dad. My dad and I play golf almost every weekend now and I'll always be a Tiger fan for the role he played in bringing me to the game.

I did get to see Tiger in person at the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach and again at the 2012 US Open at Olympic Club (that one was a bit disappointing but I did get to stand behind the tee box while he hit one of his stingers...absolutely amazing!) but my favorite memories will be watching him win with my dad when I was a kid.

It's so hard to pick with so many great moments in his career. I could easily say 1997 Masters round 1 40 then 30. The 2000 US Open at Pebble, lapping the field. The duel with Bob May when he walks the putt in during the playoff. But, my favorite has to be the putt on 18 at the 2008 US Open to tie Rocco and get into the playoff. Winning the 2008 US Open on a broken leg with hardly any practice leading up to the tournament is just legendary. Nothing sticks out more in that tournament than the birdie to tie on 18.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

When I lived in the Bay Area and Tiger was @Stanford I went to watch Tiger play his 1st round in the 1995 Stanford Invitational, I followed him on the front 9 where he shot 4 under, he didn't miss a green. He did miss the shorter & easier putts he had for birdie but made the more difficult ones. His driving and iron play were nothing short of spectacular.

After 9 I had to leave, thank God he shot even on the back and I didn't miss anything spectacular. Prior to that day because of the US Jr's and Amateur's I was a fan, 22 years later I'm a huge fan.

Thanks for the memories Tiger, I hope and pray we'll get some more.

1999 PGA Championship was when it was confirmed for me that Tiger had GOAT potential. Most just remember the playoff with May or him running after the putt. But I considered some of the shots he hit in that tournament as some of my most difficult/perfectly executed shots ever hit. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRc_lECmc2Q