GIVEAWAY: Post Your Favorite Tiger Woods Memory, Win His New Book (The 1997 Masters: My Story)

Calling all GolfWRXers, Tiger Woods fans and people who like winning free stuff (we assume there’s a high degree of overlap); we’re giving away nine copies of Tiger Woods’ much anticipated and soon-to-be-released book.

Written in conjunction with the esteemed Lorne Rubenstein, “The Masters 1997: My Story” isn’t slated for release until late March, so this is you chance to get TW’s reflection on his historic 12-stroke victory early (can you believe it’s been 20 years?).

What do you need to do to enter? Something that’s not half bad in itself; reply to this thread your favorite Woods-related memory.

We’ll pick nine winners in two weeks. And we suspect you’ll want to read the reflections of the WRX faithful that crop up between now and then, especially since we’re once again in the position of not knowing when Mr. Woods will tee it up again. At least we can console ourselves with tales of past glory.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be the chip in on 16 at the 2005 Masters. Tiger was leaking oil after a brilliant 3rd round performance, and there were questions about consistency after his recent swing changes. DiMarco was throwing darts from all over the course and there was a real sense that we might see him take down the giant. Tiger looked dead greenside, but the chip was an all-time moment. The camera work was brilliant - zooming in for a close up of the swoosh just as the ball tumbled in the hole. The only thing that seemed out of place in that moment was Tiger and Stevie's whiff on the high-five. Those two never had any manner of celebratory chemistry! One of the most memorable shots ever!

One of my favorite moments is when he played that astounding flop shot at The Memorial on I think number 16 to hole out. It's already a difficult shot to not dunk it in the water let alone hole out. He hits it and lands it and the announcers are talking how good the shot is and then it just keeps rolling and rolling and drops and the crowd goes wild. What. A. Shot.

So many memories, I guess I'll talk about a more personal one for me, I was lucky to be a part of the 2015 Quicken Loans National Tournament, which is for the Tiger Woods Foundation...James Hahn, a very close friend (I will be forever in debt for this), invited me to be part of the military luncheon with Tiger, I was even luckier to be seated in the same table as Tiger, we spoke for at least 10 minutes about my military career, his dad's military career and life in general, he signed my hat and we got a few other goodies, before he left he came back to the table and thanked me for my service, we took a few more photos, had a few laughs and then he thanked me again and (the best part), asked if I could introduce him on the First Tee on Thursday (which I did), Tiger has been and always will be my favorite player, but this, as a golfer, is the best experience ever...as for his many memorable shots, I think of a younger Tiger and making the hole in one at Phoenix and the crowd went crazy!!!!, and again thanks to GolfWRX for the opportunity...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

2001 Masters - I was a sophomore in high school (love struck with golf and Tiger Woods dominance) at my great grandmother's house on Sunday after church for our weekly big family get together/cook out. I took over the TV in a small house chuck full of family and was I watching Tiger going for the Tiger Slam with great eagerness! My great uncle gave me a nick name that I still carry with me to this day - "Bobcat" Murra. He told me that I wasn't big enough yet to be "Tiger", so I was "Bobcat". Tiger goes on to win the Masters, becomes the first player to hold all 4 majors at once, and I inherited a nick name that has stuck with me for a very, very long time.

Better than most. Better than most.. BETTER THAN MOST!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

My favorite memory was his first win during his comeback bid in 2012 at Arnold's tournament. At that time, many said he was done but he answered his critics and later in 2013, went on one of the best runs we've seen in pro golf by winning 5x and being named POY by his peers.

If you hadn't guessed it already, I'm rooting for one more come back...

15th hole 2007 PGA Championship. The pursuers had closed the gap within a shot Els and Austin but Tiger slammed the door with a clutch 7 iron and made 15-16 foot birdie putt.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

97 Masters, I was 11 years old and had never played golf. My dad said we needed to watch b/c this young kid was about to change the golf world forever. We watched every televised shot that weekend and i was in awe. I began playing golf that spring and have been obsessed ever since.

The flop shot at Memorial from behind the green running away from him and water 10 feet behind the hole. Gutsiest shot i can ever remember. He holed it and Ricky Fowler looked like he was just another fan watching like all the rest of us.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

I volunteered to marshal at the 2001 Buick Classic, Westchester Country Club. I was by the green on the 12th or 15th hole close to where the ropes led up a small hill to the next tee box. Tiger had just putt out and was standing next to me on my left with a network camera guy to his left filming the remaining players. Tiger reached over and flicked a switch on the camera I assume turning it off. Then held in a laugh and glanced over at me at the same point the camera guy brought the camera off his shoulder trying to figure out what happened. We all shared a laugh, camera guy fixed his problem and they continued onto the next hole. That was a long time ago but a good memory.

I guess for me it was the first time I had heard of Tiger Woods and his 1994 Amateur victory over Trip Kuehne. I remember watching the shot on Sportscenter ( I think) and being astounded with his bravado and fearlessness. Good stuff.

"This was to be the defining moment for Woods in a U.S. Amateur comeback victory that bordered on the impossible: six down after 13 holes of the 36-hole match-play final, five down with 12 holes remaining, three down going to the final nine. His opponent was Oklahoma State junior Trip Kuehne (pronounced KEE-nee), a 22-year-old whose sister Kelli won the U.S. Junior Girls' Championship in July. Kuehne shot a brilliant 66 in the morning round to open the gaping lead, but the 18-year-old Woods would not succumb. At the 16th Woods's birdie evened the match for the first time in 33 holes.

At the par-3 17th, Woods's fearless tee shot landed in a nearly impossible place—to the right of the flagstick, positioned far to the green's right side. The ball first hit just four paces from the water's edge. Woods's mother, Kultida, watching on TV at home in Cypress, Calif., rolled off her bed and onto the Moor as the ball landed. "That boy almost gave me a heart attack." she said. "All I kept saying was, 'God, don't let that ball go in the water." That boy tried to kill me."

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I'm not even sure where to start here, but for the sake of being different - I am going to go in a different direction than a specific moment.

1. The Tiger fist pump. Nobody has ever had a more iconic celebration in the history of golf. When you can take something so simple and make everyone think of you when they see it - that is special.

celebration-3.gif?w=1400&h=

celebration-5.gif?w=1400&h=

2. The club twirl. In a time when golf was more reserved, Tiger was full of swagger - and it never gets old. Especially this one:

tiger-club-twirl.gif?w=1400&h=

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

My Favorite TW Story:

4-5yrs ago at the Tour Championship @ East Lake. On the Par-5 9th hole, TW hit his driver down the right fairway. Joe Lacava, walking ahead of TW,

paces off the next shot. I proceeded to say: "Hey Joe - we're in the Go Zone". Joe's reply: "Absolutely". The people around me responded with joy.

Final result: TW missed the Green.

Tiger was at the 1999 US Open in Pinehurst - the Payne Stewart win - during the Tuesday Practice round his is leaving the big putting area and crossing over to Maniac Hill. The Marshalls have to use their ropes to effectively part the red sea to get him over to the range. Guys everywhere are holding out hats, flags, and screaming "Tiger! Tiger!" He keeps his eyes straight ahead and is marching through the crowd. My mom is standing there, right along the Marshall's ropes and he stops right in front of her and says "Mrs., would you like an autograph?" That's the only one he signed!

I was at the 2002 US Open at Bethpage. My dad and I decided to get a few holes away to be front row for a Tiger shot, so we went to the 9th tee box when he was still on 5. Eventually he came around and the mass of humanity followed. It as Friday of the event, wet, sloppy, cool, everyone was a little edgy. He's finally on the tee box, so close I could reach out and touch his bag if I wanted to. He pulled his driver and just unleashed on one. Of course some idiot yells "IN THE HOLE!!!" Of course everyone in the crowd went nuts to that....except my dad and I. We were seriously disappointed. Tiger looks right at the two of us, and goes "F-ing idiot." The two of us got a great laugh out of it, and Tiger cracked a little smile.

That's one memory that I will never forget.

Best shot I ever saw was on 18 at the 2002 PGA Championship. Woods had a downhill lie in the bunker with what seemed to be an impossible shot to the green. He took it over the tree with a draw out of a downhill lie IN A BUNKER. That shot showed all the talent he had in one swing: power, balanace, and the ability to mentally block it all out and hit the shot. He then sunk the putt to make birdie when he rest of the world would be happy with bogey.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 Aldila RIP Alpha 60
Titleist 913 FD 13.5 Aldila Phenom 80
Titleist 909 F3 Aldila Voodoo
Titleist CB 712 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey 50* 58*

2000 Bell Canadian Open when Tiger hit a high cut out 3 Iron out of a fairway bunker over water, to a tucked back right pin and put it inside 15 feet en-route to his victory it was insane!

Taylormade SIM 9 // Diamana DF 60 TX
Ping G425 Max 14.5 // Tour AD DI 8x
Taylormade SIM DHY 3 // Diamana thump 100x

Taylormade P7TW 4-PW //  Project X 6.5
Callaway Jaws Raw 52, 56, 60
Mizuno M-Craft 2 Putter

Putt on 18 at 2008 us open!

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

my favorite Tiger memory is sitting in front of the TV with my mom and dad watching him smoke the competition. My dad used to always say "you're watching the best ever". I never thought much of it back then, but now being older and being able to appreciate the game more it was truly greatness that I was watching. Our Sunday afternoons around the TV eating a family meal, watching Tiger win was like a weekly tradition.