2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

So What Else Do You Like To Do Besides Golf?

Golfn

Down here in NZ we have some great parks and hiking, so the wife and I are out in the hills a lot. Hit the beach during summer as well.

I'm a big US sports fan (my dad is American) - trouble is that all prime time sports in the US are on during the middle of the day here with the time difference. So my weekends are a delicate balancing act of playing golf, watching sports and not neglecting my wife. I've been doing a pretty decent job of it for 8 years now, but now she wants to throw a kid into the mix.

Uh-oh aar, you're f'd. Wife neglecting, golf, kids, and sports, are a central theme here. Welcome to the WRX mix. What US sports?

BTW, I used to be a backpacker, and drool when I see documentaries about NZ, must be amazing. I would love to interact with those parrots that steal the blades off your windshield wipers, what are they?

Mostly into baseball, football and basketball. Golf also takes up my weekend mornings as I watch the PGA tour, so watch in the morning then play in the afternoon.

I'm not sure about the parrots - might be in a different part of the country. We do have seagulls here that find paua (kind of like an oyster) and then drop them onto the road from about 30 feet up to break them and eat the flesh. You need to watch out when driving as you could get one right in the windscreen.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down here in NZ we have some great parks and hiking, so the wife and I are out in the hills a lot. Hit the beach during summer as well.

I'm a big US sports fan (my dad is American) - trouble is that all prime time sports in the US are on during the middle of the day here with the time difference. So my weekends are a delicate balancing act of playing golf, watching sports and not neglecting my wife. I've been doing a pretty decent job of it for 8 years now, but now she wants to throw a kid into the mix.

Uh-oh aar, you're f'd. Wife neglecting, golf, kids, and sports, are a central theme here. Welcome to the WRX mix. What US sports?

BTW, I used to be a backpacker, and drool when I see documentaries about NZ, must be amazing. I would love to interact with those parrots that steal the blades off your windshield wipers, what are they?

Mostly into baseball, football and basketball. Golf also takes up my weekend mornings as I watch the PGA tour, so watch in the morning then play in the afternoon.

I'm not sure about the parrots - might be in a different part of the country. We do have seagulls here that find paua (kind of like an oyster) and then drop them onto the road from about 30 feet up to break them and eat the flesh. You need to watch out when driving as you could get one right in the windscreen.

A Kiwi into (US) football and baseball, excellent! Must be weird watching sports as soon as you wake up.

Those parrots are Kea's on the S island. To me, NZ has always been a mystical magical place that is on my bucket list, but then I guess America is also a bucket list destination for many, so I guess it all depends on your perspective...

A Kiwi into (US) football and baseball, excellent! Must be weird watching sports as soon as you wake up.

Those parrots are Kea's on the S island. To me, NZ has always been a mystical magical place that is on my bucket list, but then I guess America is also a bucket list destination for many, so I guess it all depends on your perspective...

The timing is actually quite good. I can watch sports all day whilst my wife does her things and then I am free in the evening to go out to dinner, watch a movie with her, etc. So she doesn't get annoyed about losing a Saturday night because some sporting event is on.

You should definitely cross it off your bucket list, just for the golf alone. I live 20 minutes from Cape Kidnappers, unfortunately the price of playing a round means I can only get out there 2 times a year. I'd say you could get all of NZ in, along with some decent golf in 3 weeks. I lived in Australia for about 10 years which is just as impressive, though you'd need a few months to see all that Aus has.

The US is still a bucket list item for me, even having been there numerous times. There is so much to see and do, you could spend a lifetime exploring and still not see everything.

Golf is my main outdoor activity of course, but I love taking long walks with my dog. I'd rather be outdoors than indoors most anytime. Our summers here in the southern NM mountains are absolutely wonderful, & I love evenings sitting on the deck with a glass of wine watching the sunsets, the mountains & moonlight. We have many different types of wildlife that wander through now & then, so it can be interesting. I also love reading too. Not that I love it all that much, but I spend a good bit of time working out in the gym...some days it's fun, some days not so much.

Jiu-jitsu of the no-gi variety

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

Quite a bunch of advanced carnivores here! Me, I like to cook veggies and lentiles/chickpeas/beans. Don't get many bbq invitations ;)

Oh yes, and I'm a fitness fanatic. And I love skiing - the faster the better, just was a couple of weeks at The Alps touring some famous downhill ski slopes. Live in Australia now so the options while not non-existent are not that great. But as long as there's snow, I'll manage. But may move to Canada for some time so that should improve the snow conditions.

And angling, but thinking of graduating to fly fishing. At the mature age of 46 I should be able to appreciate the process and deal with never catching anything ;)

Just gave up the cable TV subscription so I am back to reading a lot.

Did I mention audiophilia and vinyl records?

No wonder I don't have much time left to work!

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

• 2 weeks later...

What do I do?

Loaded question. In season it's mostly golf with my ()very small amount) of free time. I also coach youth sports. I run the local youth football league. Right now I coach baseball (and recruit for football, duh). I hit the daycares pretty hard this time of year. You never know when you'll find a diamond out there, lol.

I also enjoy hunting for morels. Next couple of weeks will be crucial. Some years I find a rediculous amount. Some years I buy them as the local health food store (at an a** chafing 85.00 a pound!) just so my wife doesn't think we wasted a day at the shroom woods.

I like to cook. The longer in the BBQ pit the better. I can drink way more beer in 5 hours than I can in 20 minutes so it's a win, win. Funny story a couple months back I chased down a couple local youth druggies trying to steal my grill. They ran and hit a briar patch and got tangled. I held them there threatening to either shoot them or split their head with a baseball bat should they try to escape. They now owe me $600.00 that the prosecutor said I'll probably never seed.thats ok though.

working out. none of that cardio crap but heavy compound lifts.

when i get lazy to play golf i am usually in the gym or focusing on lifting.

right now i coupled it with a calorie tracker and i wish i knew what i know

now at 40 when i was in my 20s-30s.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

Run

Read

Work on golf clubs and cars (I'm a redneck by birth and somewhat mechanically inclined)

Chase my 2 daughters around

Try real hard to keep the balance and stay married to wife number one

Love it. You didn't mention the guns though...

You're right, and I do shoot quite a bit; mostly my LWRC 5.56 and Glock 23.

I have a Rectec pellet smoker grill, and now that winter has ended, I'll be burning meat every weekend.

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I'm also happy that winter is over, even if we didn't have much of one.

Made a brisket the other day, but I still think I'd prefer to come eat your food and bring some beverages!

8db99fffc4cd383eeac6e2614beeb0a8.jpg

56522891c5a3b6593485a269f9f248ad.jpg

Run

Read

Work on golf clubs and cars (I'm a redneck by birth and somewhat mechanically inclined)

Chase my 2 daughters around

Try real hard to keep the balance and stay married to wife number one

Love it. You didn't mention the guns though...

You're right, and I do shoot quite a bit; mostly my LWRC 5.56 and Glock 23.

Me too. What's LWRC? I got a 5.56 Bushy AR, but my favorite is my 16" .44 mag lever carbine. It is so light and maneuverable, but it kicks like a mule. You put 30 rounds through it, and you'll have a bruise the next morning. Great little HD firearm.

I bowl league, the occasional tournament. I backpack quite a bit, I have a 100 mile trip planned at the end of July.
Cool. What trail? I used to backpack quite a bit.

I'm doing a PCT section hike here in Washington. I've also go another trip planned in Late August ~70 miles. I'm excited.

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58