2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

set make-up of golfers 60 years and above??

i'll start with mine details of which you can see in my signature..

driver, 4W,7W,9W

5,6,7 hybrid

forged irons 8,9,PW,GW SW,LW

putter

all with A flex or liteflex graphite shafts..

at age 71 my driver maxes out at 215-220 yds with my PW at 90 ..

i only play flat courses at a maximum of 6000 yds..

still enjoy the game immensely and even have flashes of brilliance where i can break 80!

would be interested in what others have..

i would probably stay with this set-up until i can no longer play..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be 70 on May 7th. See below.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I'm ten years younger than the previous posters. Marginally longer for distance than the OP. I still prefer shorter courses, particularly the heritage variety that are walkable and under 6000 yards. Like most mid cappers I have stretches of good play interspersed with comedies of error. Consistency would be the elusive goal.

I'm a traditionalist from an equipment perspective. I've tried graphite shafted irons to deal with bouts of tendinitis, but find that I prefer steel as the extra weight tends to keep my tempo in check. There is no denying the forgiveness of modern metal woods, but I have a love hate relationship with hybrids. Some day it will be the best club in my bag, other days it's a curse. I play a variety of older players type irons. I'm a picker of the ball and find the fat bottomed soles with prodigious amounts of bounce found on modern game improvement irons to be a negative for my game.

In terms of shafts, as a low launch, low spin player, bend profile is key for me rather than flex. It has been trail and error to put together a set that plays consistently through the bag for both launch and control, but I think I'm pretty well there with the set in my signature. Bog standard regular in my woods, firm in my irons and stiff in the wedges.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have the old set with 4 fairways, same as 30 years ago. I did experiment with hybrids, but in the end found the different grip and swing was more trouble than it was worth to me so I'm back to my fairways. As for the irons, i no longer go for the long irons the way I used to and rely more often on the fairways, but I doubt I was ever truly long in any case. Lets just say I use more club these days on the mid and long game but still use the same clubs for the short.

Shambles

The set make-up changes periodically, depending on whim and fancy, and what I want to play. But as currently comprised:

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5*, Diamana Kal'li R. New this season and liking the results so far.

Fairways: TM V-Steel 5W, ProLaunch Platinum R. SE 7W, PL Platinum R. TM V-Steel 9w, GD YS-6+ R.

Irons: '99 Hogan Apex, Nippon 950 R. Apex Plus 5 & 6, Apex MB 7- E. Hogan 51* K Grind and Hogan Sand Iron, stock Apex wedge flex.

Backup Irons: Ping i20 (5 - GW), CFS R.

Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5. Or Ping BeCu Zing 2. Depending on which one has the mojo.

There are periodic rounds that I bring out the older Hogan's, various persimmons that are in inventory, a Ping Eye 2 4W that's a wonderful fairway, and a variety of different putters. Mostly older Pings. A odd 8802 style sometimes shown into the mix. Putters seemingly are always subject to change.

Play whatever tees that sets at 6000 yards (+/- 200). That length provides all the thrills necessary for playing a round. A bogey golfer (i.e. +/- 90). I've returning to walking as much as possible this year. If the course is conducive. Really been enjoying it. Using the "old man's" three wheel push cart. Never cared much for carrying. Two months shy of 66, still feel like I'm 40.

Don't seem to get appreciatively better nor worse playing at golf. Not worth the time and expense to do the lesson thing. No matter. Can still navigate my way around a course halfway decently. Competitive against the "usual suspects". Enjoy myself regardless of how I play. There are good days and not so good days. It is what it is.

Aways look forward to the next opportunity to play at golf. Forever optimistic.

And that's good enough for me.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

My sig has most of it. I'm 67. I think age has taught me to play the percentages more than going for it. Most of the time. I haven't had the need for R or senior flex shafts yet, even though I do hit it a bit shorter.

I recently picked up a set of Ping Eye 2 irons from 1984 and hit them a bit. I really like them. They don't feel like the Hogan forged clubs I've been currently hacking, but they inspire confidence. I may take them for a round or two, just for old time's sake.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I carried a single-digit from the tips into my late 50s. Then the unavoidable loss of swing swing became a serious obstacle. Now I'm 72 - a few years back I finally abandoned my Titleist blades with XS shafts (vanity clubs). Moved up to around 6,000 yards, although I occasionally play further back for variety. I play Callaway X-Hot line woods and irons with regular shaft, which should be ok for a couple more years.

I vary what's in my bag a bit depending on the tees and what is working. Right now, it's 3w, 5w, 4i-P, 54 from the "senior" tees. Not using a driver just now because of shoulder pain (I've had RA for about 30 years, but it has become more bothersome the last couple of years)and I can't play enough to be effective with multiple wedges.

One big recent change for the good has been the ball that I play. Found a soft Srixon, put it in play and was astonished by (1) increase in distance and (2) cushion effect on my arthritic hands compared to my Pro V1s. Bought a dozen and love them. I suspect that any of the "soft" balls designed for slower clubhead speeds would have the same effect.

I carried a single-digit from the tips into my late 50s. Then the unavoidable loss of swing swing became a serious obstacle. Now I'm 72 - a few years back I finally abandoned my Titleist blades with XS shafts (vanity clubs). Moved up to around 6,000 yards, although I occasionally play further back for variety. I play Callaway X-Hot line woods and irons with regular shaft, which should be ok for a couple more years.

I vary what's in my bag a bit depending on the tees and what is working. Right now, it's 3w, 5w, 4i-P, 54 from the "senior" tees. Not using a driver just now because of shoulder pain (I've had RA for about 30 years, but it has become more bothersome the last couple of years)and I can't play enough to be effective with multiple wedges.

One big recent change for the good has been the ball that I play. Found a soft Srixon, put it in play and was astonished by (1) increase in distance and (2) cushion effect on my arthritic hands compared to my Pro V1s. Bought a dozen and love them. I suspect that any of the "soft" balls designed for slower clubhead speeds would have the same effect.

Do you mind telling us which model Srixon ball it is?

Might be the Srixon Soft Feel.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

we seem to have very similar experiences except i still use my driver and don't really want to vary my set make-up anymore as i find my current one seems to fit all the courses i play and my multiple wedges give me consistent distances on full swings all the way down to about 70 yards...less than that and i guess i just have to rely on my feel and experience.

i am also a great believer in experimenting with the most appropriate golf ball for my diminishing powers and find some women's balls are quite good and also those with softer feel at impact..

right now my favourites are the Nike PD Women, Callaway chrome soft and the Srixon soft feel and Zstar..

i,too, was a single digit up to my late 50s but am more a mid-handicapper nowadays unless the course is less than 5000 yards..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I am very much like you guys, but from the other side. I am, after many years, rededicating myself to improving at golf. It happens to be when I'm 67, but I need to focus. I began with the theory that focusing my swing on hitting the sweet spot would improve my swing (rather than whaling away with some huge GI irons). So, I began experimenting with clubs with small sweet spots, i.e., blades (no), then CB forged (not up to advertised forgiveability).

This trail of inconsistency and lack of length and focused dispersion made me realize I had left something important out of the equation: feel. I took many sets to my backyard and the practice range and didn't worry about technique, but just focused on the feel of a proper swing and the feel of hitting a shot to a target.

I went through four sets of Mizunos, 2 Taylormades, Titleist AP2s, Hogan Apex Edge and Apex Pros, and others. The Hogan Apex Edge irons emerged as the ones I liked best, until I dragged out my 1984 V-groove Ping Eye 2s, green dot. Winner Winner Chicken Freakin' Dinner. How could this be? But it was.

Today, the Eye 2s 5-SW go in the bag. All I would love to have is the 61* lob wedge, but not totally necessary. The gap wedge has always confused me, so it's out, as well as a 64* I would hit once every four rounds. The driver etc is below in my sig.

These are the tools I will use in my current senior golfer condition. I will play from the whites and take it all from there.

As you all have said, the proper golf ball is vital. In my prime, balata ruled. I loved 'em. Now, I'd love to hear reports of the chrome soft. I don't like the idea of playing a woman's ball, but I have painful tendonitis in the back of my left wrist that only hurts when I try to hit hard or flip it (cupped wrist). The Eye2's inspire a slower swing and the soft ball I can trust would be wonderful.

Such is my life and golf.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

My stepfather is stubborn. He carries 1w, 3w, 5w. 3i-p, sw, and putter.

Same make up he's played since he first started playing many many years ago. But his 3w and 5w go the same distance, and his 3i-5i go the same distance. But you can't tell him different.

He still gets around the course pretty good though.

<snippy snip>

As you all have said, the proper golf ball is vital. In my prime, balata ruled. I loved 'em. Now, I'd love to hear reports of the chrome soft. I don't like the idea of playing a woman's ball, but I have painful tendonitis in the back of my left wrist that only hurts when I try to hit hard or flip it (cupped wrist). The Eye2's inspire a slower swing and the soft ball I can trust would be wonderful.

If you want the spin, the 2016 version of the Wilson Staff FG Tour is your ball. Can still get them on closeout from Budget Golf. One of the two softest tour level balls out there, spins like crazy around the greens, and the wind performance has been pretty nice, much nicer than the Wilson Staff balls I've used in times previous.

If you don't mind a bit less spin, I recommend the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite. It's not quite balata or wound ball soft, but it's softer than anything not Wilson Staff Duo. And, it spins a bit better around the greens than the Duo; it really surprised me. It's nowhere near a tour level ball in those terms, but you can make it check much better than I'd thought possible.

I've become something of a Wilson golf ball fanboi in the last few years. Does it show? :)

As for tendonitis issues.... have you given thoughts to graphite shafts, at least for your main set? There are some VERY good graphite shafts out there these days. The downside, it's not cheap to refit your clubs that way.

And, if you're the club acquisitive type, it can cut down on the fun in that arena.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I will be 62 in a couple of weeks:

Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 Green Board / R-Flex

Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50 Green Board / S-Flex

Callaway CF16 / 6-AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4 / S-Flex

Callaway 54/10 MD Forged / UST Recoil ES 460 F4 / S-Flex

Callaway 58/10 MD PM / UST Recoil ES 460 F4 / S-Flex

Callaway 62/12 MD PM / UST Recoil ES 460 F4 / S-Flex

Callaway Odyssey O-Works Tank #7

I'm 62 and play all graphite due to elbow issues. Still have decent flexibility and can average 250 yds. with the driver. Carry a 16 degree three wood, 7 wood (no luck w. hybrids), 5-PW, AW, SW, 60 & 64 degree wedges, putter. My driver has 12 degrees loft, stiff flex 40 gr. shaft for a total of 285 gr. @ 47". I have no problem controlling this club. Still hit lots of fairways & greens. Putting is streaky ... always been my bugaboo.

Couple of thoughts;

Golf balls with a soft feel that I've used lately Wilson Dx2 Soft,Titleist Trusoft and Bridgestone Fixx which has been my preferred choice for the last year or so,it doesn't spin like others but as I want the ball to go forwards rather than backwards it's not an issue and it does seem to play better in wind than anything else.

For tendonitis and arthritic conditions the choice of grips might help,Avon Chamois are good at nullifying vibration and cheaper to regrip than reshaft.

Couple of thoughts;

Golf balls with a soft feel that I've used lately Wilson Dx2 Soft,Titleist Trusoft and Bridgestone Fixx which has been my preferred choice for the last year or so,it doesn't spin like others but as I want the ball to go forwards rather than backwards it's not an issue and it does seem to play better in wind than anything else.

For tendonitis and arthritic conditions the choice of grips might help,Avon Chamois are good at nullifying vibration and cheaper to regrip than reshaft.

Chris, thanks for the wise suggestion about grips. I am currently using Lamkin wraps, midsize. The large size inhibits my flippy motion at impact and helps a lot. But I do love the Avon grips, which are a whole lot cheaper than graphite shafts on a retiree's lack of income.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I am very much like you guys, but from the other side. I am, after many years, rededicating myself to improving at golf. It happens to be when I'm 67, but I need to focus. I began with the theory that focusing my swing on hitting the sweet spot would improve my swing (rather than whaling away with some huge GI irons). So, I began experimenting with clubs with small sweet spots, i.e., blades (no), then CB forged (not up to advertised forgiveability).

This trail of inconsistency and lack of length and focused dispersion made me realize I had left something important out of the equation: feel. I took many sets to my backyard and the practice range and didn't worry about technique, but just focused on the feel of a proper swing and the feel of hitting a shot to a target.

I went through four sets of Mizunos, 2 Taylormades, Titleist AP2s, Hogan Apex Edge and Apex Pros, and others. The Hogan Apex Edge irons emerged as the ones I liked best, until I dragged out my 1984 V-groove Ping Eye 2s, green dot. Winner Winner Chicken Freakin' Dinner. How could this be? But it was.

Today, the Eye 2s 5-SW go in the bag. All I would love to have is the 61* lob wedge, but not totally necessary. The gap wedge has always confused me, so it's out, as well as a 64* I would hit once every four rounds. The driver etc is below in my sig.

These are the tools I will use in my current senior golfer condition. I will play from the whites and take it all from there.

I am currently playing Mizuno MP 5's.....just had them reshafted....finally am admitting that at 71 I needed to go an R shaft....seems to be working out ok

but will have to give it a few more rounds to be sure. The driver is pretty much average for our age bracket...235/240 is just about maxxed out

now.....A few years ago I committed myself to improving....followed Peltz's method....only used full and 3/4 swings on PW..52...and 56..

worked fine. Changed two years ago to the SuperSoft....tried the Chrome Soft..i could not see enough improvement to justify the more than 50% increase

in price...so I stayed with the SuperSoft....Will try the new Srixon soft this year....have tried the Duo.... Good ball too..

The amazing thing to me is I do not feel as if I am swinging slower....when I do hit a nice iron,and feel the soft thud....it feels the same...

but the distances don't lie....Age is taking yards...lol....but I plan on playing my current bag....Driver is an old R9....the newer ones are not any better

for me,so I an sticking with it. The irons were a "present",so I am working on getting used to them...we have NOT bonded yet...but at least

they listen to me......sometimes.......

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I just want to add one seismic change in my thinking since I turned about 65 two years ago. I am now far more focused on accuracy, than distance. Being a scrub 14 handicap, I didn't fully realize the damage long and crooked shots were doing to my game. Now, shorter and in the fairway are giving me shots I can rehearse and enjoy. Anyway, this new mindset plays into club selection, etc.

I just went through the turmoil of choosing a gamer set, especially with a limited budget. I've gone through a lot of used sets that I have bought and then sold--Mizzy MP30, MP60, MP53, Hogan Apex Plus, Apex Edge...and a few more. I have settled finally on the Ping Eye 2s, V-grooved irons from 1984. Only one more contender exists--AP2s, which arrive next week. Already, however, I am far more accurate with my higher-lofted short irons with the Eye 2s. We'll see, but I am really enjoying the game like never before.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Fortunately Tim the over-production of clubs by OEM means that there is a vast amount of used equipment available,I don't think that clubs have ever been as affordable as they are now even though most of it is Chinese produced of dubious quality.

I am making a real effort to go all vintage this summer,I have been playing with a variety of irons from the '50's to the '80's,Hogan,Macgregor,Wilson Staff and have used a persimmon driver for a couple of rounds although in am-am games I go with an old 905R Titleist which (famous last words!) hits the fairway 99% of the time and that,as you so rightly say,is crucial to good scoring.

When you're not as long off the tee as in younger days and hitting longer shots into par 4's with woods/hybrids/long irons then it is vital to be hitting off the short stuff and not losing a stroke by being in the bundu.

The old head on old shoulders can compensate however on the greens and hitting approach shots,I feel I'm putting as well as ever using an original Ping Anser,my short game is still decent and using the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) can generally get it up and down if I miss the green principally using a 9-iron (old school loft) and opening or closing the face according to the type of shot I envisage.

Fortunately Tim the over-production of clubs by OEM means that there is a vast amount of used equipment available,I don't think that clubs have ever been as affordable as they are now even though most of it is Chinese produced of dubious quality.

I am making a real effort to go all vintage this summer,I have been playing with a variety of irons from the '50's to the '80's,Hogan,Macgregor,Wilson Staff and have used a persimmon driver for a couple of rounds although in am-am games I go with an old 905R Titleist which (famous last words!) hits the fairway 99% of the time and that,as you so rightly say,is crucial to good scoring.

When you're not as long off the tee as in younger days and hitting longer shots into par 4's with woods/hybrids/long irons then it is vital to be hitting off the short stuff and not losing a stroke by being in the bundu.

The old head on old shoulders can compensate however on the greens and hitting approach shots,I feel I'm putting as well as ever using an original Ping Anser,my short game is still decent and using the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) can generally get it up and down if I miss the green principally using a 9-iron (old school loft) and opening or closing the face according to the type of shot I envisage.

I like your game plan and the KISS method--- IMHO the 905R is a modern classic for metal woods Antique to some modern to others. Actually the old Anser is not a bad idea I went back to my 1972 model that I got new in my vintage rounds and am seriously considering putting it back in my front line bag

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Yep Stu, The 905 series drivers are excellent performers. Indeed a classic IMHO as well. These older Titleist have been a revelation. Heretofore, was of the belief that they were perhaps beyond my skill set. But struggled to control (high rights) a Ping G25 for 1.5 years, was desperate. A 905T straighten things out. Finding fairways, and decent distance. Not to mention, a very agreeable feel and sound to the ball contact. Its been in the bag for over a year now.

Earlier this season, fell into a very good deal on a near mint 910 D2. And have been playing it so far this year. No loss in accuracy and have picked up a few precious yards as well. Yeah its adjustable, so perhaps frowned upon. Haven't had the chance to play around with settings at the range yet. Set it at neutral and have gone from there. May just leave it there, not so sure that I can squeeze any more out of it by spinning the dials. Maybe slightly draw bias if anything. The 65g shaft installed helps with my tempo. Couple of the golf buds have given it a whack and remarked how much heavier the club feels compared to their drivers that are equipped with UL shafts. In a positive way. They liked the extra heft, felt more solid, could control where the ball was going. Hanging on to the 905T just in case.

Have some persimmon around to play with on occasion. When I just want to fool around with some wood. But a more modernist driver simply performs better for me on a consistent basis. No comparison actually.

Old Ping putters. With several layers of high density lead tape on the sole to weight them up. Been liking the results. Played the Zing 2 exclusively last fall. Better feel versus the 350g mallet that had been in service. Especially putts of distance. Less than 5 feet, not so much. Tendency is to wave it around some. More practice. Recently thrifted (finally) an Anser 2 that finally has been regripped and taped. Looking forward to giving it a trial. They remain classics for a reason.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I'm 65 and since I retired 7 yrs ago my game has improved every year. Obviously I play more - 2 leagues a week, casual round on Saturday and at least 3 hours on the range/practice area a week. It would be hard to not get better since when I was working I averaged 2 rounds a month with no practice.

But age also can bring wisdom as others have alluded to. Avoiding penalties and unfriendly lies are #1 on my importance list now. Avoiding 3 putts is next, and not letting blow up holes ruin a round follow. A couple of years ago I went to cast GI clubs with stiff graphite shafts and I gained distance with every club.

I know that in the near future I'm going to lose distance, but if I can maintain a proficient short game I'll still be able to score. There are several guys in their 80's and a couple in their 90's who still are play 2x a week in my leagues. One 82 year old won the league championship 6 times (last was 3 years ago) and he still shoots 10+ shots under his age on occasion. He gives me hope.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I'm 65 and since I retired 7 yrs ago my game has improved every year. Obviously I play more - 2 leagues a week, casual round on Saturday and at least 3 hours on the range/practice area a week. It would be hard to not get better since when I was working I averaged 2 rounds a month with no practice.

But age also can bring wisdom as others have alluded to. Avoiding penalties and unfriendly lies are #1 on my importance list now. Avoiding 3 putts is next, and not letting blow up holes ruin a round follow. A couple of years ago I went to cast GI clubs with stiff graphite shafts and I gained distance with every club.

I know that in the near future I'm going to lose distance, but if I can maintain a proficient short game I'll still be able to score. There are several guys in their 80's and a couple in their 90's who still are play 2x a week in my leagues. One 82 year old won the league championship 6 times (last was 3 years ago) and he still shoots 10+ shots under his age on occasion. He gives me hope.

I hope I'm still sucking in air when in my 80's. :)

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Not quite to 60-I'll be there in January.

See my signature for my currently most used vintage selection.

My more modern bag is as follows.

Titleist 905T

Taylor Raylor 16*--old school tour preferred model

Callaway Heavenwood 3H and 4H

Tltleist DCI Gold Triangle 4-PW

No name copper 56* sand wedge

PING ZING Sand wedge.

A couple of modern clubs I am eyeing are the 915D2 Titleist Driver and the Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver (about 12*)

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Tell you what, dbuck, that Hogan Sure Out is a beast. Now Hank Haney et al have taken the name and created a "new" wedge to, apparently, get anyone out of anything. But the Hogan sand wedge is the real deal and nice and heavy. You close your eyes, drop it behind the ball, then listen for the ball falling into the cup. For subtle chips shots or sensitive bunker plays, the Sure Out is probably not your club.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*