2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How many majors would Tiger have won...

tcarrow

Tiger is lucky to have been in the era he was.

Before - he would not have beat Jack et al as frequently as he did the likes of Bob May, Chris Dimarco, Rocco Mediate (three of his majors he essentially had to beat those three guys) had been playing against them.

Today - I think the top 4-5 golfers he would have had more difficulty against.

I was one of the guys who thought Tiger would crush Jack's record, but alas, he is going to come up quite shy of it.

When the leaderboard looks like this

It wouldn't matter who he was playing against

Bob May (PGA), Dimarco (British and one of his Masters' wins), Rocco Mediate (last US Open, if I recall) are not even close to legendary. Sorry.

You forgot the pic ; )

There are *5* multiple major winners and HOFers on it. Of course, most of them are 20 shots behind TW, but you get the idea ; )

Tiger%2BWoods%2B2000%2BU.S.%2BOpen%2BPGAPappas%2BPete%2BPappas.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before - he would not have beat Jack et al as frequently as he did the likes of Bob May, Chris Dimarco, Rocco Mediate (three of his majors he essentially had to beat those three guys) had been playing against them.

I was one of the guys who thought Tiger would crush Jack's record, but alas, he is going to come up quite shy of it.

Bob May (PGA), Dimarco (British and one of his Masters' wins), Rocco Mediate (last US Open, if I recall) are not even close to legendary. Sorry.

Golfers usually beat the entire field, not just one player.

If BigCat had taken his level of play from 2000-08 into today's game, he wins 20-25 majors. His mental strength was simply far superior to any recent or current player, including Spieth. Commentators and statistical analysts often note that the winner of an event is the best putter among the best ballstrikers that particular week. Well, TW was the best putter period and the best ballstriker period, week in and week out.

If BigCat had taken his level of play from 2000-08 into today's game, he wins 20-25 majors. His mental strength was simply far superior to any recent or current player, including Spieth. Commentators and statistical analysts often note that the winner of an event is the best putter among the best ballstrikers that particular week. Well, TW was the best putter period and the best ballstriker period, week in and week out.

I don't remember the golfer who told the story, but he says he was on the range next to Tiger in 2000, and said that most pros eat up a lot of grass on the range from all the divots they create. He said that Tiger that day left a 4 inch by 4 inch square he was striking the ball so perfectly.

I don't remember the golfer who told the story, but he says he was on the range next to Tiger in 2000, and said that most pros eat up a lot of grass on the range from all the divots they create. He said that Tiger that day left a 4 inch by 4 inch square he was striking the ball so perfectly.

Darren Clarke

Darren Clarke

Yes, very possible. I believe the story was told on Feherty , and he was on there and I watched it.

You forgot the pic ; )

There are *5* multiple major winners and HOFers on it. Of course, most of them are 20 shots behind TW, but you get the idea ; )

Tiger%2BWoods%2B2000%2BU.S.%2BOpen%2BPGAPappas%2BPete%2BPappas.jpg

It was a once in a lifetime performance and never came close to it again understandably. Im sure he had no clue what happened that week, he was unconscious for most of it.

Tiger circa 2000 would crush today's competition. Just like he crushed the competition then.

During that time golf changed the set up of the game because of how dominant he was. There was actually a term called "Tiger Proofing" a golf course. That's like finding a way to shrink the rim when Michael Jordan is shooting.

I've never seen anything like it.

Revisionist history at its best. Courses were becoming obsolete with or without Tiger. Guys from 2002 on were bombing the ball.Bomb and gouge became the thing to do. Are we to believe they went after square grooves because of tiger as well?

To give you some perspective, even on mini tours some courses were reduced to pitch and putts. i played some courses from 95-99 and the winning scores were after 3 rounds 11-14 under same course from 2003-2008 no winner under 21 under. i went from hitting 3-4 wedges per round to 8-9. Hitting a 3 wood and ball that is 20 yards longer than a driver from 20 years ago will do that. Tiger was awesome but lets not go overboard

I think he would have dominated any era they way he played the game under Butch.

We've never seen any athlete dominate any sport like Tiger did golf. He was the favorite to win every week. I was a little to young to watch Jordan in his prime but do remember the 96 season. Never saw showtime Lakers, to young to watch Tyson.

So I am glad I was able to see Tiger play in his prime. I'm sad because i really do not think he will be back again.

Not nearly enough people here watched 'Jack' on TGC, clearly.

Fanboys.

If you really read the posts and know the history of many of the members on this thread, many of the biggest TW fans

Are the biggest Jack/golf fans as well.

You can be both. Its appreciation of greatness in the game.

Its really the unreasonable biased who attempt to diminish TWs accomplishments on the course.

That said,

Happy Frrrriiiday!

Take a look at Tiger in 2013... he dominated the current set of players. And he wasn't ever full healthy at that time. Tiger in his prime would have crushed the field we have now if he was healthy.

I still think (now that Tiger finally did the right thing and had the fusion surgery) he can come back if he modifies his swing. Will he be as good? Probably not. Will he be far more than competitive? Definitely. The surgery he had has at least given him the chance.

He had a very good year thanks to a lot of putting luck. But its a stretch to say he dominated the current set of players - no majors, and Rory was switching to Nike that year. Rory, Day, Spieth, and DJ have all had more impressive runs this decade.

Should Tiger have won more majors? Maybe, he was runner up in I think 5 or 7. Jack, otoh, absolutely should have won more, as his 20 - something runner ups in majors is staggering.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I think he would have dominated any era they way he played the game under Butch.

We've never seen any athlete dominate any sport like Tiger did golf. He was the favorite to win every week. I was a little to young to watch Jordan in his prime but do remember the 96 season. Never saw showtime Lakers, to young to watch Tyson.

So I am glad I was able to see Tiger play in his prime. I'm sad because i really do not think he will be back again.

ROGER. FEDERER

Even Tiger said Roger was more dominant

Cant compare team sports.

Tiger and Jack were once in a generation player. Someone like Tiger and Jack will come along someday. Records were meant to be broken unfortunately I don't think I'll be around to see Jacks record come down. With that said I don't see today's best better than Ernie, young Sergio, Phil, Retief, VJ, Duval, Colin Montgomery, Darren Clark and some others. Tiger's contemporaries were no pushovers either. It's just that Tiger was above and beyond those guys and imo Tiger is above and beyond today's crop of players too. Just because they hit it as far or further than Tiger is meaningless. Tiger's mental strength is one of the best all time, his short game unmatched, his putting unmatched (maybe Jordan can hang), and he had that extra something to will a shot or putt.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Dave Ragan, Dave Thomas... Lose to Dave Marr and Charles Coody....

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Should Tiger have won more majors? Maybe, he was runner up in I think 5 or 7. Jack, otoh, absolutely should have won more, as his 20 - something runner ups in majors is staggering.

Jack was runner up 19 times. The way you post you should know that. Hmm, does finishing second 19 times and winning "just" 18 mean you couldn't close the deal very well?

Kidding of course but c'mon guys. They were both great. Period. I saw both play in their prime. Jack win the most majors, Tiger was the best player I've ever seen. Does not make me a fanboy, fanbois, nor sycophant lol. Just an opinion.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The hyperbole in this thread...

Some saying 25 pffft some saying 7 or 8...

There is no reason or argument to believe he would win any less or any more. Jack,Tiger, Palmer, Hogan, Snead, Watson, would win as much in any era. The play changes but the actors stay the same. Theyre greats for a reason

Agree.

Jacks numbers are absurd. TWs are gaudy but hats off to Jack, of course.

Some perspective.

By Rorys age, TW had 8 majors. To keep pace with TW, Rory needs 8 majors in the next 3 years.

And Spieth is off to a great start, 2 majors at 23. To keep pace with TW, he needs 6 more in the next 3 years.

There is no reason or argument to believe he would win any less or any more. Jack,Tiger, Palmer, Hogan, Snead, Watson, would win as much in any era. The play changes but the actors stay the same. Theyre greats for a reason

Agree.

Some perspective.

By Rorys age, TW had 8 majors. To keep pace with TW, Rory needs 8 majors in the next 3 years.

And Spieth is off to a great start, 2 majors at 23. To keep pace with TW, he needs 6 more in the next 3 years.

I just don't see the above happening. In fact I'd bet the farm on that one. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Stick with Butch: 18-20

Remove the personal stuff: 20-22

Healthy, Butch and no personal stuff: 20-24

Why does everyone on here think butch harmon is the messiah?

Norman left him, woods left him, mickelson left him.....all for a reason. If he was this special god like u guys talk about would they have done that?

I get what you're saying, but the irony is, none of those 3 ever played as well as they did again after they left. Could argue Tiger did, but Tiger could have been coached by me in those days and would have won.

Didn't he win a greater percentage under Haney against better competition? Harmon didn't hit a shot. He's a teacher not the messiah

Norman left him, woods left him, mickelson left him.....all for a reason. If he was this special god like u guys talk about would they have done that?

I get what you're saying, but the irony is, none of those 3 ever played as well as they did again after they left. Could argue Tiger did, but Tiger could have been coached by me in those days and would have won.

Didn't he win a greater percentage under Haney against better competition? Harmon didn't hit a shot. He's a teacher not the messiah

Like I said, could argue Tiger is the exception.

Not many players keep the same coach their whole careers. So people leaving Butch isn't a big deal. Happens a bunch.

But there is something to be said about a player leaving a coach when he's playing well and then after the switch he never plays nearly as well. Curtis Strange a good example. Won two US Opens and was on top of the money list Under Jimmy Ballard, but left to go to Leadbetter. Strange was never the same player.

But in Tiger's case, again, he was so talented at that time, anyone could have coached him.

Bottom line, if the scandal never happens, then Haney never dumps Tiger. And who knows how this all could have played out.

Like I said, could argue Tiger is the exception.

Not many players keep the same coach their whole careers. So people leaving Butch isn't a big deal. Happens a bunch.

But there is something to be said about a player leaving a coach when he's playing well and then after the switch he never plays nearly as well. Curtis Strange a good example. Won two US Opens and was on top of the money list Under Jimmy Ballard, but left to go to Leadbetter. Strange was never the same player.

But in Tiger's case, again, he was so talented at that time, anyone could have coached him.

Bottom line, if the scandal never happens, then Haney never dumps Tiger. And who knows how this all could have played out.

Woods even said he swung his best in early 2007. Anyone remember how many tournaments in a row he won in mid 2006 and mid 2007?

Adam Scott left harmon and won the masters.

Harmon is totally overrated in this messiah regard. He must be laughing his head off thinking how you lot think how good he is

Agree.

Some perspective.

And in there lies the greatness of Tiger and Jack.While Spieth but moreso Rory have shown signs of dominance and lapping fields a few times in majors the 2 big boys did it consistently.If Rory finishes with less than 8 Majors if hes healthy until 40 it would be a massive disappointment because we've seen what he can do when his putter is streaky and its not some fluke,surely he can muster up a few more special weeks. Spieth is a wild card and a scrapper with short game and putting for miles but not the long game of Rory but more time on his side. Comparing them to Tiger or Jack in majors at certain ages is absolutely not fair IMO. Both great in their own respect. Give Rory Spieths putting and then we would be talking about Rory getting to 14-15 majors give Spieth Rorys long game and we would be saying the same thing 14-15 majors. Every 30-40 years we get that player

The psycho with the crystal ball down the fairground said i would have won 13 Opens, 5 PGAs, 7 US Opens and every Masters i entered...

Damn my father for not turning my childhood into an experiment

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

I never thought that Tiger's major run was about his swing. Heck, he won with 3 different swings. I think it was about his short game. In his prime years, he was the best putter on Tour and he was the best at getting the ball up and down from around the green. His overall short game was impeccable. So... if you throw prime Tiger into todays players, with the best short game in golf, he still wins a lot of majors. Saving pars and making birdie opportunities wins majors. That formula works in every era.

I'm not a TW fan, and I sometimes catch myself smiling at his struggles. Not my best trait I admit, but it's true. That said - if the guy doesn't get caught slamming pigs then he has 20 majors by 2012 and the latest series of injuries and surgeries is a lead up to a heartwarming goodbye tour.

On the other hand, if he isn't banging out waitresses and pancake cooks on the side maybe he only wins a handful of times to begin with? Getting caught was his demise, not the actual Roman lifestyle.

Lol!!!! I have said this plenty of times. Tiger had so much side action on his plate he probably never had time to let his mind get in the way. As we all know golf is a mental game and I always thought that these dozen or so girls boosted his confidence on and off the course. When his world came crashing down he lost all of that and i don't know if he will ever get it back. Tiger went from feeling like a God to being embarrassed and the punch line of every joke after his crash.