Titleist 718 AP2 and AP3 Irons: Shot at the 2017 Quicken Loans National

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find it interesting how they have the "Tour Validation" period. Has there ever been a Titleist product that went through the validation period that was not validated by the tour pros? Seems more like a dog and pony show than a validation.

The notion of a "tour validation" period isn't new. For golf it's actually relatively short. In some sports (hockey, for example) new gear will only be available to pros for close to a season before the rest of us can buy it.

And of course I make that post and just now get a response from a Titleist...

"Thank you for you inquiry and interest in the new Titleist 718 line.

At this point we are currently in the Tour Validation stage in our product launch cycle. This is when our touring pros begin to play the product on tour. We will be having our summer sales meeting next week and you can expect to see more information released regarding specifications and launch dates for the 718 line in the coming weeks.

Please stay posted to www.titleist.com for information regarding the new 718 irons & 818 hybrids."

It's just their way of building hype and interest. They know the new stuff is going to be seen and reported on the internet anyway when the pros get them so they may as well be the ones to talk about it first. But specs, pricing, dates are all things they'll let trickle out intended to keep the interest going.

If they had any intention of providing customer service with that information, they'd have already put it on social media. Customer support probably knows little more than the rest of us, and the script they've been given to respond to these isn't going to share any more than that. To do it any differently waters down their social media presence.

The Ap2's look much better this time round. The AP3 seems a strange one, Titleists marketing seemed to go a bit of course with the 2017 V1 & X, this is along the same lines. Will be interested to try the 718 -T-mb 2 iron.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Remaining optimistic that Titleist updates their website and posts info about the new line this week... I hope we at least hear more feedback from some Reps. and their sales meeting last week.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Remaining optimistic that Titleist updates their website and posts info about the new line this week... I hope we at least hear more feedback from some Reps. and their sales meeting last week.

Hopefully that happens soon. But Titleist has in the past waited until 1 month before in store release date to add info to their website. If this holds true then august 24th-september 1st is when that info is out on their website. We will get other details about specific product details sooner

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

Just saw on Instagram that Rick Shields announced he's going to post his review of the entire 718 line on August 24th.

Just saw on Instagram that Rick Shields announced he's going to post his review of the entire 718 line on August 24th.

Still seems so far! I need them now! Haha

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I know right? I'm debating a set of Ping i200's or waiting for these AP3's, but Titleist is making it difficult to wait...

Now with the new Mizzy's coming around the same time, this could present problems

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Agreed. Pretty disappointed. I would've thought by now Titleist would've at least updated their website with the specs and released more info.

They do their release of info roughly end of this month. Then they become available to consumers around end of sept.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

Is it just me or is anyone else getting really annoyed at the lack of information that is available about the 718 lineup? I mean it's less than a month away from them being in stores and there are virtually no reviews, no specs, only some pictures from a tour event. Is this normal procedure for Titleist?

It's been covered already that more information was going to be provided sometime in the last week of the month.

When that's been communicated, I take them at their word. If anything comes to light earlier, great, but I don't get mad at an OEM for doing what they said they were going to do.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting really annoyed at the lack of information that is available about the 718 lineup? I mean it's less than a month away from them being in stores and there are virtually no reviews, no specs, only some pictures from a tour event. Is this normal procedure for Titleist?

Someone has already done a review on here. First to know.

I know right? I'm debating a set of Ping i200's or waiting for these AP3's, but Titleist is making it difficult to wait...

I find this to be a huge problem (for me at least). I live in way upstate NY where our season is almost over when the iron lines are released, and a lot people say "oh I'll just wait till Spring to order". And it seems some are swayed towards other options over the winter.

I don't know, maybe that's just something that happens in the group of golfers I know, and see happen on occasion. Personally I think they may miss out on a few sales being released so late in the season, but I'm sure Titleist and their sales team know what their doing 100000% more than me....

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

We had a Titleist Staff fitting day yesterday at my club for the new 718 irons and 818 hybrids. The entire line-up is tremendous. I've been a long time AP2 user and will switch to the AP3 in the 718. If you didn't know the difference, most players would think the AP3 is the AP2 if you just handed it to them in the playing position. I liked the AP2 just fine, has more of a CB look to it with a square high toe and seemingly less offset/heel bias/ setup BUT when the AP3 looks great and gives me 4 mph more ball speed with better launch conditions its a no brainer for me.

The new True Temper AMT series shafts are stock too... AMT White (same as old DG AMT), AMT Black (mid weight/launch/spin), and AMT Red (lightweight, higher launch/spin). I'm sticking with the new AMT White X100, same as I play. Graphite stock option is the Tensei Pro Red iron shaft.

The 818 hybrid is AWESOME. Both the H1 and H2 have a much redesigned look, with the H1 having a smaller profile that I think is more manageable over the 816, and the H2 having a much more pronounced "peanut" looking head with the thinner heal and thicker toe. Both models have the recoil channel filled in like the new 917 woods. The new Atmos, Evenflow and Tensei Pro shafts are stock in the new 818 although I'm unsure if all "models" are available in each type.

For someone talking about choosing between the AP3 and the Ping i200.... I almost guarantee the AP3 will outperform most clubs on the market

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

We had a Titleist Staff fitting day yesterday at my club for the new 718 irons and 818 hybrids. The entire line-up is tremendous. I've been a long time AP2 user and will switch to the AP3 in the 718. If you didn't know the difference, most players would think the AP3 is the AP2 if you just handed it to them in the playing position. I liked the AP2 just fine, has more of a CB look to it with a square high toe and seemingly less offset/heel bias/ setup BUT when the AP3 looks great and gives me 4 mph more ball speed with better launch conditions its a no brainer for me.

The new True Temper AMT series shafts are stock too... AMT White (same as old DG AMT), AMT Black (mid weight/launch/spin), and AMT Red (lightweight, higher launch/spin). I'm sticking with the new AMT White X100, same as I play. Graphite stock option is the Tensei Pro Red iron shaft.

The 818 hybrid is AWESOME. Both the H1 and H2 have a much redesigned look, with the H1 having a smaller profile that I think is more manageable over the 816, and the H2 having a much more pronounced "peanut" looking head with the thinner heal and thicker toe. Both models have the recoil channel filled in like the new 917 woods. The new Atmos, Evenflow and Tensei Pro shafts are stock in the new 818 although I'm unsure if all "models" are available in each type.

For someone talking about choosing between the AP3 and the Ping i200.... I almost guarantee the AP3 will outperform most clubs on the market

What else can you tell us about the AP3 v.s. the AP2? Is the AP3 noticeably bigger than the 718 AP2? What about size comparison v.s. the 716 AP2?

this is excellent news and what I've been waiting to hear. i play the ping ie1 and never really liked them.

any news on pricing of the ap3?