2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

2017-18 NFL Thread

CrabDaddy

About 6 hours until week 3 kicks off. Looks like a good week to watch the Tour Championship, lol. Not many interesting matchups - partly because it's so early in the season, but partly because of (seemingly) uneven matchups.

I like the Rams tonight. If they are going to be my dark horse coming out of the NFC West, this is the kind of game they need to win - take care of business vs a poor team on the road.

NO (0-2) vs Carolina (2-0). Carolina has given up only 6 pts this season. Is that a reflection of how good their D is or how anemic their opponents were? Drew Brees answers that question. I think Carolina, at home, comes out on top.

Cleveland (0-2) vs Indy (0-2). Just kidding. Outside of the people living in the 300 mile space between these cities, nobody cares. ...plus the folks unfortunate enough to pick up TY Hilton for their fantasy football team.

Atlanta (2-0) vs Detroit (2-0). The only matchup of undefeated teams in Week 3! ... or is that Weak 3? Eventhough the Falcons have to venture away from their fancy new stadium, I don't see the Lions, who set the standard for mediocrity, pulling off the upset.

KC (2-0) vs SD (1-1) could be an entertaining game. I see Alex Smith managing the hell out of this game, getting the ball to big time weapons at RB, TE, and WR. I like the Chiefs, but it's the kind of game that the Chargers could lead well into the 4th qtr before Rivers throws an interception deep in his own territory.

Raiders (2-0) vs Wash (1-1). Tough to travel coast to coast, so a matchup on paper I give to the Raiders hands down, should be a close game. Would be a nice win for the Redskins. I still think the Raiders come out on top.

Bonus analysis: Ravens (2-0) vs Jaguars (1-1). Ravens inhabit every temperate continent on Earth. Jaguars are only found in Mexico and Central America. Familiarity with climate and habitat gives the advantage to the Ravens, plus the Jags may be thrown off by the public address announcer adding a syllable to Jag-U-ars.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, Jag-U-ahs! I don't understand why football, real football, hasn't caught on in Britland/Europe. Sissies. They better get on board before football fades away or becomes unrecognizable from what we know today.

There was a great podcast on the origins of American football on Radiolab. Fascinating. Go Carlisle University and Native Americans and Pop Warner!

Jag-u-ars and the incorrect pronunciation by the PA announcer!

There gentleman is a Crab gem early in the season on this fine thread.

Thanks Raven Fan.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

Hate Denver having to go east to play early against the Bills coming off a big win with Oakland on deck, will probably be on the +3 or 3.5 whatever it settles at, same thought with oakland heading to washington. Like the Jags, that Yanda loss is huge for the Ravens plus they got the Steelers next week. KC lost their center, SD can't fall short again can they (its Phillip so the answer is yes) but I think they're worth a shot + and straight up. Lotta short home dogs this week.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Falcons number 4 in the power rankings is a joke

ESPN has them ranked #1...... lol

I guess it was NFL.com I saw that had them at number 4. Glad to know we get some respect somewhere. Haha

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Well, the Lions found a new way for the refs to get them today....I'm sorry, but if the ref screws up the call and it gets reversed, I'm not clear on why the Lions should be penalized 10 seconds? On top of that....let's say Golden Tate crossed the goal line but dropped the ball. Is that an incomplete pass then? By the CJ rule, it is. So when is someone truly considered "down" after making a catch?

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Well, the Lions found a new way for the refs to get them today....I'm sorry, but if the ref screws up the call and it gets reversed, I'm not clear on why the Lions should be penalized 10 seconds? On top of that....let's say Golden Tate crossed the goal line but dropped the ball. Is that an incomplete pass then? By the CJ rule, it is. So when is someone truly considered "down" after making a catch?

So the Falcons should be penalized for getting a stop? The Lions should get to get set and at the line and the refs get in place then whistled for play and have 8 seconds? The 10 second rule came from the average time from end of play to next snap. If they can pile all the players back up and put the ball at the bottom of the pile then whistle and start the clock, pull everyone off the pile, get everyone set and get a snap off in the remaining 8 seconds, I'm good with it. But you don't penalize a team for leading by giving the team trying to come from behind the full allotment of time that a bad call was made. Then it becomes an advantage for the team trying to come back. Managing the clock and your timeouts is part of it. It sucks for the Lions but the league and owners and players hammered the rules out. Glad we're 3-0 regardless of how. And to be honest, I didn't think they'd have the cajones to change that call, even though it was correct

So the Falcons should be penalized for getting a stop? The Lions should get to get set and at the line and the refs get in place then whistled for play and have 8 seconds? The 10 second rule came from the average time from end of play to next snap. If they can pile all the players back up and put the ball at the bottom of the pile then whistle and start the clock, pull everyone off the pile, get everyone set and get a snap off in the remaining 8 seconds, I'm good with it. But you don't penalize a team for leading by giving the team trying to come from behind the full allotment of time that a bad call was made. Then it becomes an advantage for the team trying to come back. Managing the clock and your timeouts is part of it. It sucks for the Lions but the league and owners and players hammered the rules out. Glad we're 3-0 regardless of how. And to be honest, I didn't think they'd have the cajones to change that call, even though it was correct

Except that the Lions moved 27 yards in 7 seconds last year against Minnesota, so it is possible. That notwithstanding, they botched the time. When they determined he was down, they should have reset the clock to 11 seconds which is when he was actually down. Not sure why they let it go to 8 seconds when he was already down.

There is so much about the "New and Improved" NFL that just turns me off. They seem hellbent on destroying excitement in the game. You THINK you just saw a touchdown, but you really didn't. You have to go take a leak, maybe grab a beer and give them some time to think about it. Maybe it was a TD, maybe it wasn't. My favorite is when the rules expert and the announcers spend minutes looking at it and none of them knows if its a score or not.

In the Detroit game, if the league is going to review EVERY scoring play, you should not punish the team that thought they scored only to have it overturned by taking time off the clock. Neither team had any timeouts. The league stopped the game, not the Lions or Falcons. Its a dumb rule, but I think most of the reviews are dumb. I would rather be mad about a bad call on the field rather than a stupid rule that they "experts" can't figure out. And don't get me started on that stupid "Completion of the process" garbage. They really are ruining the game in my opinion. I know I watch MUCH less than I did in the past. Its just not exciting.

I refuse to watch these overpaid, disrespectful so-called Americans.

So called Americans? So you are all for shutting up and falling in line? Is that how you lead your life? I'm not exactly a fan of it, but it has ZERO impact on my life so I don't get all the manufactured outrage.

Disrespecting the American flag is un-American. PERIOD. NO POLITICS.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

There is so much about the "New and Improved" NFL that just turns me off. They seem hellbent on destroying excitement in the game. You THINK you just saw a touchdown, but you really didn't. You have to go take a leak, maybe grab a beer and give them some time to think about it. Maybe it was a TD, maybe it wasn't. My favorite is when the rules expert and the announcers spend minutes looking at it and none of them knows if its a score or not.

In the Detroit game, if the league is going to review EVERY scoring play, you should not punish the team that thought they scored only to have it overturned by taking time off the clock. Neither team had any timeouts. The league stopped the game, not the Lions or Falcons. Its a dumb rule, but I think most of the reviews are dumb. I would rather be mad about a bad call on the field rather than a stupid rule that they "experts" can't figure out. And don't get me started on that stupid "Completion of the process" garbage. They really are ruining the game in my opinion. I know I watch MUCH less than I did in the past. Its just not exciting.

Sterling Sheppard scored a TD for the Giants, both feet in, control of the ball all the way, then hit the ground OB and the ball popped out but his knee and elbow hit the ground first. They called incomplete I guess because of the 'continuation' rule, but why shouldn't the play be over as soon as any part of his body touches the ground? I can't keep up with the new rules they invent.

Thanks Redskins. It's been a while since I've seen such a performance by the burgundy and gold.

Do it in prime time? Only sweeter.

HTTR

You watched ; )

No, I READ the story online. I don't need to get ill watching disrespectful millionaires protesting on their employers time or dime. Thank you for your opinion. My Father and my Son served OUR country honorably to give you the right to do so.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Just too god not to be on this thread

21768088_1638224686224213_4879302981214212980_n.jpg?oh=49f99cc2b6c5adcc3f5a3e39f1f6740d&oe=5A3FE3D3

So called Americans? So you are all for shutting up and falling in line? Is that how you lead your life? I'm not exactly a fan of it, but it has ZERO impact on my life so I don't get all the manufactured outrage.

Disrespecting the American flag is un-American. PERIOD. NO POLITICS.

The US armed forces pays the NFL millions of dollars every year to put on these grand displays every pregame. Also the players have only been coming out for the anthem the last 10 years or so, probably less. We are all getting worked up over something that is simply a marketing stunt for Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines recruiting.

If there was no money to be made, I guarantee the NoFunLeague would scrap the pregame anthem ceremonies and happily replace it with a Beyoncé concert.

I like football so if anyone feels like burning your season tickets, I will happily accept any ticket donations in order to prevent further pollution of the atmosphere.

I don't really care about the protests....it's their right.

What I do care about is the disingenuous of the owners. The same guys who have blackballed Colin Kaepernick all of a sudden side with the players on this? Ok. Whatever is best for business I guess...you don't get to be a billionaire by making bad business decisions.

Trump is still learning that he is one of the most powerful people in the world and that a lot of weight is placed on his words and tweets. His words while intended to show support for our Veterans turned the protesters into martyrs and has now given their protests even more meaning to them because this Sunday they were protesting what they believe Trump stands for, it was a direct defiance to his words.

It's hard to take a bunch of millionaires (who live lifestyles 99.9% of the rest of the world will never know) seriously when they kneel in protest of oppression during our National Anthem. There are so many better outlets for them to make a difference in the country but it's pretty evident that the protests do little but further divide the country.

Ultimately the are hurting themselves, broadcast ratings are down nearly 20% since 2015. If the trend continues, television contract and stadium attendance revenue is going to decline to the point it's going to affect their contracts.

I respect their right to protest, I just think their method is cheap theatrics and doesn't do anything to address the problem, ultimately it will make it worse.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Week 3 was a better slate of games than they looked to be on paper.

Filed under 'Never saw it coming':

80 pts from Rams-49ers

Bears, Bills upsets

Texans scoring 33 pts vs NE ... didn't think they'd score 33 pts this season.

High scoring game between Browns-Colts

Colts and Vikes winning with backup QBs

Redskins dominating Raiders. They're a fun team to watch, playing like that.

Filed under 'Business as usual':

Brady throws a TD in last 2 minutes of game for the W.

Rodgers leads a Packer comeback.

Heartbreak for the Lions. Wow! That was close - not sure how the refs changed the call on the field.

Patriots are giving up, a league worst, 461 yds/game and 31.7 pts/game! Not a recipe for repeating as champs.

The Ravens must have gotten mixed up and started boycotting the NFL Sunday morning. :taunt:

Atlanta and KC are the only undefeated teams left! Who loses first? This week: KC vs Wash, Atlanta vs Buff

Of the 5 winless teams, I'm going to pick the Browns as the first to get in the W column. Since they are playing the 0-3 Bengals, somebody has to win... probably.

Kareem Hunt is currently queued up as #1 pick in every 2018 fantasy draft.

Dallas looked better last night. Got off to a terrible start didn't have the ball much in the first half but still came out on top. Young corners played really well with expection of a couple not great plays by Brown.

Lawrence has been an absolute stud so far this year. Teams are gonna have to double him which should open up some lanes for other guys.

Arizona isn't the best but any road win on prime time I will take.

Over all a great weekend of football!

This week looks pretty tasty - some divisional games with early season contenders, some quality inter-division and inter-conference matchups.

One of the best rivalries - Steelers vs Ravens - takes place this Sunday. The Ravens looked dreadful last week, like they had some bad bangars and mash topped off with warm beer the night before the game. Who knows what kind of performance they put on the field this week. Steelers, who also had a bad loss last week, are only averaging 69 rushing yds/game. I think Le'veon Bell gets a boatload of carries. Antonio Brown has still looked solid. I hate to say it, but I think the Steelers win this one and become the team to beat in the AFC North.

To me, the most intiguing game is St. Louis vs Dallas. The Rams have played well in all 3 of their games, and are leading the league in points scored. Dallas played OK last week vs Arizona, but their offense has not looked like the 2016 version. If the Cowboys are going to get their running game on track, this week is an opportunity - the Rams give up a lot of yds on the ground. Are the Rams a legit contender or just the best team in a bad division? I'm going with my team of destiny, 2017-version, the LA Rams.

Carolina vs New England. New England has the best offense and the worst defense. Carolina has the best defense and the 5th worst offense. The Pats seem to have an advantage no matter the matchup, but it could be interesting. Despite being stingy on defense, the Panthers have generated only 2 turnovers so far this year. They will need some big plays if they want to avoid a 2-2 record. I like New England.

More later...