I tried the new 718 AP2's and AP3's

KirkNo-yes

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hoping as they are cast they will be cheaper than AP2s

AP3s are the same price as AP2s.

The 2018 AP 2 has a 15% wholesale price increase over the 2017 mode; price. I have been a Titleist staff pro for over 10 years. I have never seen such large increases in the past.

I'm getting fit for my new irons later today. Hope I like them

My bad, I meant the 718 AP2s in my post, not the 716. I should have mentioned they went up in price as well. I changed my original post to reflect the corrections. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hopefully you're a staffer and get some irons on your deal or at least for PUD if you have to pay. Let us know how they work for you. Have fun!

I am a home pro staff member and they generously provide clubs, bag, balls ect for me to use.

I also found out it will matter where you buy your new 718's. Active Titleist fitter accounts will have different pricing. :nyam:

I went into the fitting expecting to like the AP 2's and I did. Picked up a couple mph of ball speed with the new AMT white shaft (white is the heaviest)

They showed my the AP 3 and it looked good. I hit 3 balls with the AP 3 with the AMT white shaft and picked up another 5 mph ball speed. It was like wow, these feel good, look good and go like I'm not 61 anymore. Can wait to get them in early September.

This is a broader rant on the club companies, but for this thread specifically on Titleist AP3s and AP1s...

Understand the long irons perfectly fine, but what is the point of a 43* pitching wedge? Here's my new marketing idea, I'll make a super high end set that starts at 25* and drops 1 degree per club. Guaranteed 40 yards farther on your 9 iron.

This is a broader rant on the club companies, but for this thread specifically on Titleist AP3s and AP1s...

Understand the long irons perfectly fine, but what is the point of a 43* pitching wedge? Here's my new marketing idea, I'll make a super high end set that starts at 25* and drops 1 degree per club. Guaranteed 40 yards farther on your 9 iron.

To increase wedge sales

Just returned to the game after 7 years. My set is still the original AP2s (2008).

I've seen and hit some of the newer AP2s in the course thanks to some of my playing partners. The two versions I tried (716 and 714) felt way chunkier and more GI at address compared to the originals. Is this really the case? It seems that the new AP2's head is back to a more compact head size. Can someone who still remembers or has the originals compare them to the 718s?

Thanks.

the pw is 3 degrees stronger than the ap2 yet it launches exactly the same as the ap2 at 25.7 degrees. check out the rick shiels review. how else can they keep the launch down? golfers can't ask for a forgiving iron and then moan thats the loft is too low. they have strong lofts for a reason. how many times do people need to hear this

So it seems the reviews on YouTube all mention "the AP3's feel nothing like the AP2's." This is a little concerning being a long time AP2 owner and loving how forgiving the pervious AP2 models have been.

Is that to say the AP3's aren't as forgiving as the AP2's? For those of you who've hit the AP3's can you please help clarify what it is these reviews mean by these comments?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

So it seems the reviews on YouTube all mention "the AP3's feel nothing like the AP2's." This is a little concerning being a long time AP2 owner and loving how forgiving the pervious AP2 models have been.

Is that to say the AP3's aren't as forgiving as the AP2's? For those of you who've hit the AP3's can you please help clarify what it is these reviews mean by these comments?

I haven't hit them, but my understanding on what they mean is that they don't feel as "soft" like a forged feeling and feel more like a cast head. The AP3's should be more forgiving than the AP2's

I have hit them and confirm they are significantly more forgiving than AP2s. From a feel perspective they do have a little bit of a hollow feel.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

Hit 718 ap2 and 718 Ap1 today with the amt white s300 shaft...ap2 was much improved in the feel department "for me" anyway...looks were better as well...Ap1's were "long....." I know lofts are stronger on ap1's but same lofts as last year and these are easily 5-10 yards longer than 716ap1's...good stuff

Loved the new hybrid as well...

Under construction....

Had the chance to try the new 718 AP2's and AP3's. WOW. Now full disclosure I am huge Titleist guy but I really feel they outdid themselves with this line of irons. Here are my thoughts

Make up - AP2 5 - PW with Dynamic Gold AMT tour issue X-100

AP3 - 3&4 with Dynamic Gold AMT tour issue X-100

AP2's- So I have been playing the 716 AP2's for almost a year now and before that the 716 MB's. I love my irons and have been really happy with them but have been dabbling with the idea of going back to a blade but wanted to see these before I made my decision. I was blown away with how well the AP2's looked and played. the topline is MUCH thinner appearing than the current 716's and the head of each iron appears much much more compact. They went the exact way I wanted them to go with the AP2. Had I not seen the back of the iron I would have bet money I was holding the 718 blade in my hand they way it looked from address. I haven't looked at the specs but I also think they reduced the amount of offset compared to the 716's. They also appeared more satin than chrome on the face to reduce glare and ugly scratch/brush marks across the chrome.

Looks 10/10

As for the feel, wow, again knocked it out of the park. They felt wonderful and cut thru the turf beautifully. I also thought the flight felt a tad lower then I expected which is what I desperately wanted from them. I didn't get on trackman so can't confirm my numbers but the lower irons flighted wonderfully. This was the reason I dabbled with going back to the blade. To lower my ball flight in the lower irons. tight crisp shot patterns and they sounded great. I hit PW- 5 iron and all of the irons performed better than I thought.

Feel 10/10

AP3 Irons 3 & 4

first off they are not nearly as "thick" as I expected them to be so that was a huge plus. they almost appeared to be more inline with the 716 AP2's in terms of topline and size. The only downside to them was I could ever so slightly see the cavity at address. They also appeared a little more chrome than the ap2's. The offset wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be as well.

Looks 9/10

Now for the big time wow factor. Holy crap these things launch and launch big time. They also reach a nice beautiful apex and go far. now the lofts are a little strong and would take some messing with to get right but these things are rockets. Titleist nailed it with these irons and I'm willing to bet they sell a ton of these. The one thing I really liked was the fact that they didn't feel as clickish as the T-MBs' do to me. The T-MBs are great but if hit off center didn't fly as well as the AP3's. The fact that you can ever so slightly see the cavity is totally made up with the fact that these things go a LONG LONG way and launch beautifully.

Feel 10/10

As I said earlier, I am huge fan Titleist and am a huge loyalist but I had been considering going to the Taylormade 750's because I really wanted to find an iron that I control the trajectory with more from the 5 down and have something that I could launch and control easily in the long irons.

Well done Titleist

I just order AP3. I am senior so I only use 5 thru PW. I am playing the 716AP2. Do these get further distance?

I seriously doubt it- Titleist arent in the "gain 17 yards...." marketplace

Maybe not but the AP3 lofts are stronger than my Ping G20s. :swoon:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

What is the difference (other than looks) of AP2 and CB? Both players category, both meant to offer more forgiveness than the MB. Is it just that the AP2 has more tech in it? Confused a bit.

I'm confused too.

Are they trying to steer the high single to low double hcps (which I think was the market for AP2) away from the AP2 towards AP3?

What is the difference (other than looks) of AP2 and CB? Both players category, both meant to offer more forgiveness than the MB. Is it just that the AP2 has more tech in it? Confused a bit.

I'm confused too.

Are they trying to steer the high single to low double hcps (which I think was the market for AP2) away from the AP2 towards AP3?

or maybe trying to attract players who thought the ap2 was 'too good' for them and ap1 too much gi- ap3 a possible happy medium

I'm confused too.

I think the AP3 is Titleist's response to the Apex.

When Apex first came out, people would ask what club Apex competed with and the answer many gave was it was an AP1.5. And plenty have asked for a little more svelte AP1 or an AP2 with a little more forgiveness.

I'd expect anyone interested in AP1 or AP2 to at least give AP3s a try. I'm sure that in some cases AP3 will cannibalize some AP1 and AP2 sales, but I think without AP3, some of those sales would be lost to the competition anyway. And it will probably take some sales from other companies.

If nothing else, it may move up the release of the next Apex.

I'm confused too.

I think the AP3 is Titleist's response to the Apex.

When Apex first came out, people would ask what club Apex competed with and the answer many gave was it was an AP1.5. And plenty have asked for a little more svelte AP1 or an AP2 with a little more forgiveness.

I'd expect anyone interested in AP1 or AP2 to at least give AP3s a try. I'm sure that in some cases AP3 will cannibalize some AP1 and AP2 sales, but I think without AP3, some of those sales would be lost to the competition anyway. And it will probably take some sales from other companies.

If nothing else, it may move up the release of the next Apex.

couldnt agree more!

I'm a Titleist man at heart but didnt like the 714 or 716 ap2's and I'm past using my Titleist blades for once a week golf, so I bought Apex, as much as I find them easier to play, once a week, I cant get over the sound and its not a shiny Titleist, lol

so I'm def trying ap2 and ap3 and maybe a combo version if Titleist can get the lofts right.

the pw is 3 degrees stronger than the ap2 yet it launches exactly the same as the ap2 at 25.7 degrees. check out the rick shiels review. how else can they keep the launch down? golfers can't ask for a forgiving iron and then moan thats the loft is too low. they have strong lofts for a reason. how many times do people need to hear this

Exactly the same? In the RS reviews, the AP3 wedge is spinning about 1000 rpm less than the ap2. For me, spin in a wedge is a good thing!

Exactly the same? In the RS reviews, the AP3 wedge is spinning about 1000 rpm less than the ap2. For me, spin in a wedge is a good thing!

I have big issues with too much spin in my wedges.

I have a 716 T-MB wedge and a 716 AP2 wedge and I just can't use the last one. The backspin is extreme and a lot of times the ball spins off the green. Normally I solve it with changing the ball, but I don't like it, I want to play my Pro V1x ball.

So spin in a wedge is a good thing - to some extent and not for everyone.

If you're turned off by the AP3 lofts, try the T-MBs. I had nearly identical performance with the AP3 and T-MBs.

Tell me more about your experience comparing those two models. What about feel and looks etc. ? Did you try them with the same shaft?

Yes, same shaft. Settled on the PXi and had very close distance and dispersion from both heads. Feel was a bit better with the T-MBs.

I'm considering going with 4-7 in the T-MBs and 8-PW in AP2.

If you're turned off by the AP3 lofts, try the T-MBs. I had nearly identical performance with the AP3 and T-MBs.

Tell me more about your experience comparing those two models. What about feel and looks etc. ? Did you try them with the same shaft?

Yes, same shaft. Settled on the PXi and had very close distance and dispersion from both heads. Feel was a bit better with the T-MBs.

Nice, I'm considering 3-6 T-MB and 7-P with AP2 :-) AP3 lofts make it hard to combo with AP2.

I will decide between AMT White and DG 120.

Just returned to the game after 7 years. My set is still the original AP2s (2008).

I've seen and hit some of the newer AP2s in the course thanks to some of my playing partners. The two versions I tried (716 and 714) felt way chunkier and more GI at address compared to the originals. Is this really the case? It seems that the new AP2's head is back to a more compact head size. Can someone who still remembers or has the originals compare them to the 718s?

Thanks.

i have gamed the originals since they came out and will be going later this month to get fitted for 718's or mizzy mp-18's. ill let you know what differences and similarities still love my 2008's though

Nice, I'm considering 3-6 T-MB and 7-P with AP2 :-) AP3 lofts make it hard to combo with AP2.

Will be interested to hear more as you progress with this.

The tungsten in the heel and toe of the T-MBs goes down to the 7 iron so I think I'll take that extra forgiveness over the AP2. Just my thoughts.

The tungsten in the heel and toe of the T-MBs goes down to the 7 iron so I think I'll take that extra forgiveness over the AP2. Just my thoughts.

According to the info I got that is true for AP2, AP3 and CB, but the T-MB had tungsten in all clubs?

According to the info I got that is true for AP2, AP3 and CB, but the T-MB had tungsten in all clubs?

I thought I'd read that the tungsten diminished after the 7 iron but now I'm not finding it. May have gotten confused with the Japanese steel face insert in the 2 to 7.

Have you tried both? i love my AMT's now but the DG 120's intrigue me. I am afraid to lose accuracy with lighter shafts in the 8-PW