2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Korean domination in women's golf

jmvargas

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been around high level junior girl's golf for a while now, my daughter starting her first year of college last week where she's on a full ride at a mid-major type D1. She competed in 2 USGA national championships and some top AJGA events as a junior. South Korean girls are strongly represented. Their families recognize that golf provides excellent opportunities for girls in terms of college admissions, scholarships, and potentially a professional career.

The major difference developmentally (in generalities) is parental strictness & expectations, hours invested toward this singular pursuit, and the understanding that there's really no choice for the kids. Culturally it's understood and expected that they will be working on their games for multiple hours every single day, whether they want to or not...

My daughter has many South Korean junior golf friends and they all basically express the same sentiments; golf is their life and they don't have much to say about it. The kids just accept it, and some truly embrace it. In fact, many of the Asian cultures are similar in this regard, whatever the child's pursuit. It's rare that a mainstream American family will push their daughter this hard, and even rarer that the kid would accept the non-negotiable mandate without objection and rebellion.

Now, whether or not this is the best way to raise kids is another discussion, but there's no doubt that it's producing some excellent players, and at young ages.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Top level professional sports always demands total dedication. The money being played for on the LPGA is not insignificant, and the top players are well-compensated so it's not surprising that it takes a lot of hard work to get to the top. This is a very mundane observation I know, but somehow the situation in women's golf is viewed very differently. Nobody questions Jordan Spieth's work ethic, as it is understood that he has dedicated his life to getting to the top, and at the same time nobody laments that he sacrificed his life and other interests to do so. Yet in women's golf, we seem to accept that players from other nations are simply going to outwork ours, but that it's ok because those girls have no lives or are not as happy or liberated, or do not enjoy the same kind of free will that American women do. I don't buy it, is all I'm saying. Koreans are humans too, they face the same (or even more) difficulties as anyone who tries to get good at golf.

The South Korean domination is an area of great interest to me from a sports performance point of view and competitive point of view. I've long been fascinated with the well documented Se Ri's kids explosion following her US Open win and the pathways that were created afterwards.

South Korea has the best structured tour setup in the world. They have 3 levels of tour. Its Main tour, then Dream Tour (2nd tier) then Jump tour (3rd tier). The Main tour has approx 28 tournaments per year with every tournament purse converted to US Dollars between $445,000 to $745,000, higher for their "Majors". The Dream Tour has approx 20 tournaments a year (give or take) and they play for about $55,000-$62,000 US per tournament. It has 4 different divisions within that structure. The 3rd tier Jump tour has alot of professionals and rising amateurs competing and has approx 16 events with purses around $24,000 US. All tours have either TV coverage or highlight packages showcased on their broadcast partner SBS golf. Miany KLPGA players have rock star like followings in South Korea. The sponsorship opportunities in South Korea are also much better, with the big financial corporations investing heavily in many KLPGA players.

In comparison, the secondary US Symetra Tour has over 20 events and play for between $100,000 -$200,000 per week but you have to bear in mind that Symetra players pay $500US in entry fees per week, so a 144 woman field is propping up a massive % of the purse and increasing a players overheads. An international player who goes to America and competes in all 20 odd Symetra events will run themselves easily upwards of $50-60,000 in expenses and with visa restrictions cannot work in off weeks. Throw in 30% tax on prizemoney and how many international players will cover expenses as a result of playing 1 season without huge corporate backing.

The KLPGA opened has just held its 3rd annual international qualifying school in which international players can play their way through that into 2nd stage. With this avenue now opening up to internationals, I have no doubt more and more players from Europe, the Oceania and Asians regions and even Americans will start to try their luck given the opportunities. As the world rankings attest to though, the Main tour and Dream tours are incredibly high level as many KLPGA players simply have no interest in travelling to the US when they can stay home.

In short, the tour structures are better setup to enable budding South Korean women the opportunities to hone their games in a competitive environment from the outset. This combined with the culture, workloads and many families going "all in" on their children from a young age help to explain the South Korean domination.

I wouldn't like a player just because of what country they're from. And conversely, I would not get worried about any one country having an out-sized share of the top 50, like talk of being "outnumbered". That kind of circle-the-wagons outlook doesn't work long term. It would probably make the LPGA look like the junior tour to the KLPGA, and cost the Asian swing. And from the American view, it's not like Korea is some random country who just walked in off the street. This is a long time ally.

I hope any wagon-circlers might be opening up a little by now. These swings and personalities and stories just have to be winning people over.

I think the only ones circling wagons are nutjob fans. I include myself in that group by the way. The powers that be, and the players I doubt are wringing their hands over any of this. It's kind of a natural phenomenon, and anyways there is absolutely nothing that can be "done" about it. If anything the powers that be--the ones who are privy to the bookkeeping--probably have no issue with the ever-growing Korean interest in women's golf. After all the LPGA is still US based, and they are the proprietor while the Korean market is still the customer. Mike Whan probably loves Koreans.

Top level professional sports always demands total dedication. The money being played for on the LPGA is not insignificant, and the top players are well-compensated so it's not surprising that it takes a lot of hard work to get to the top. This is a very mundane observation I know, but somehow the situation in women's golf is viewed very differently. Nobody questions Jordan Spieth's work ethic, as it is understood that he has dedicated his life to getting to the top, and at the same time nobody laments that he sacrificed his life and other interests to do so. Yet in women's golf, we seem to accept that players from other nations are simply going to outwork ours, but that it's ok because those girls have no lives or are not as happy or liberated, or do not enjoy the same kind of free will that American women do. I don't buy it, is all I'm saying. Koreans are humans too, they face the same (or even more) difficulties as anyone who tries to get good at golf.

Well put

I don't think woman's golf and the LPGA are marketed very well here in the states. I don't feel they make the sport appealing to younger girls or encourage them to aspire to be professional golfers. I also think American girls have too many distractions and lack the focus that we see from the Korean girls.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

So for me it's just purely the skill and elegance of the Koreans that make them worth watching. Plus they don't - thank goodness - behave like tasteless prima donnas, swearing and cussing when they miss putts, throwing temper tantrums, walking about with sour faces or deliberately holding up play.

...or screaming orders at their ball like crazy women.

Quote from the Golf Channel in the final round of the Canadian.... "You have to say that Cristie Kerr is very professional". So there you have it - that's what professionals do, scream at the ball.

I think it's kind of sexy. :)

She may have a few years on me, but Kerr is pretty sexy.

Quote from the Golf Channel in the final round of the Canadian.... "You have to say that Cristie Kerr is very professional". So there you have it - that's what professionals do, scream at the ball.

I think it's kind of sexy. :)

She may have a few years on me, but Kerr is pretty sexy.

:drinks:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

The real mystery, to me, is where are the Korean men. There has to be some cultural thing that I don't understand because a small nation turning out such an overwhelming number of great women golfers should also turn out men golfers who can compete at the top level.

The 2 years compulsory conscripted army service upon turning 18 stops many careers in their tracks at such a pivotal development period. Some who achieve certain sporting accolades can delay enlistment but the only way out all together through sport is to win a gold medal at the Olympics.

The real mystery, to me, is where are the Korean men. There has to be some cultural thing that I don't understand because a small nation turning out such an overwhelming number of great women golfers should also turn out men golfers who can compete at the top level.

The 2 years compulsory conscripted army service upon turning 18 stops many careers in their tracks at such a pivotal development period. Some who achieve certain sporting accolades can delay enlistment but the only way out all together through sport is to win a gold medal at the Olympics.

Or win a Major.

Sang Moon Bae is trying to make his comeback after his two year enlistment. I hope he gets his game back.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Or win a Major.

Sang Moon Bae is trying to make his comeback after his two year enlistment. I hope he gets his game back.

Yes, it will certainly be interesting to see how he goes, they gave him a 1 year exemption to accommodate the situation. I know he is playing some Korean tour events as a warm up prior to his planned PGA Tour starts in October.

I think part of it may be very pragmatic parents. It's significantly easier for a female golfer to earn a scholarship if not for anything other than simply numbers. Way less girls playing for more scholarship money than the boys here in the US. The opportunity is greater and the odds of making it are better for girls. ROI

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'm seeing more Korean names on both big men's tours every year. There has been at least one Korean winner on the PGA Tour every season going back to 2011. Si Woo Kim is the reigning Players Champion. And Korea is the only Asian country to produce a major champion. They are fairly new to it, but are doing alright.

This is the mom in me, but what happens to these young women when their golfing careers are over? They haven't done anything else, and you can't tell me they have great educations to put to use. Not all of them can coach the next generation. So what's the next stage?

The men have the same problem in the same vein. They golf. What else happens next? My best friend is a former pro. That's all he knew to do until he opened his own business (golf related of course). It's scary when you don't know have any other appreciable skills. The money obviously isn't the same, unfortunately.

This is the mom in me, but what happens to these young women when their golfing careers are over? They haven't done anything else, and you can't tell me they have great educations to put to use. Not all of them can coach the next generation. So what's the next stage?

You have to sacrifice to be the best in almost anything..

You have to sacrifice to be the best in almost anything..

50 years of post-career sacrifice for 15 years of uncertain career? Not a choice I'd urge on my child.

Actually many Korean girls play full time pro golf and "go to college" at the same time. Inbee , SYR, SYK , InGee, HyoJoo are all college graduates. I don't know how they did it. I know most KLPGA events are 3 days and the travel is much shorter than here in US, but still.

As far as I know, the only American players who attempted such feat are my future wife Michelle and Alison Lee.

My speculation is the Korean colleges provide abundant "help" to pro athletes-student. Eg. a top university in Korea allows Lydia Ko to study for her degree entirely from remote. Same as a football factory here in America would do.

But of course college football is big money here, but why do colleges over there be so accommodating? Could be a prestige thing. I don't know.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was the careers adviser to the main dance companies in the UK for 15 years, and I saw hundreds of dancers during "transition" in their 30s. The personal qualities that had taken them to the top were very much in evidence in their second careers, and the vast majority did really well. Not least because they were so familiar with constant focussed hard work that employers jumped at them and asked for more. I imagine it will be the same with the golfers. The dancers were generally pretty intelligent, and I'd expect the top tier of golfers to be pretty smart as well.

Korea vs USA would be awesome. Koreans can not be on the USA team even if they are citizens of the US, they will play on the Korean side. That would be good.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Korea vs USA would be awesome. Koreans can not be on the USA team even if they are citizens of the US, they will play on the Korean side. That would be good.

Wk

?? By that definition, I'd be playing for Ireland, and my family came over in the Great Hunger.

how many native americans would make that USA squad .. boy i tell ya

isn't a citizen a citizen? apparently not.

Wk

i'm really hoping for this type of event...

it would be the Asian version of "the Ryder Cup" and am envisioning a title sponsor like Hyundai or Samsung for the USA and maybe Apple or a US car manufacturer for the US..

it could even evolve to be a US vs Asia much like the Ryder Cup became USA vs Europe..

although the USA is presently outnumbered 2-1 in the top 50 i'm pretty sure it will not be a one-sided battle..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60