2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Korean domination in women's golf

jmvargas

You guys are over thinking this. USA has a lot of talent like, Thompson, Kerr, Lincicone, Lewis, Kordas, Pillar, Creamer, Lang, and so on. Its just players like Kang, Wie, and other Korean-Americans will play on the Korean side. Its just an idea that will make a great match.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are over thinking this. USA has a lot of talent like, Thompson, Kerr, Lincicone, Lewis, Kordas, Pillar, Creamer, Lang, and so on. Its just players like Kang, Wie, and other Korean-Americans will play on the Korean side. Its just an idea that will make a great match.

Wk

What? Wie and Kang wouldn't make a Korean side.

Wk

12 to a team Kang sneaks in.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Wk

12 to a team Kang sneaks in.

Captain's pick? There area few contenders!

So for me it's just purely the skill and elegance of the Koreans that make them worth watching. Plus they don't - thank goodness - behave like tasteless prima donnas, swearing and cussing when they miss putts, throwing temper tantrums, walking about with sour faces or deliberately holding up play.

...or screaming orders at their ball like crazy women.

First person I thought of was Christie Kerr. lol

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Just read an interesting stat. There are 27 active Korean players on the LPGA. Of the 27 players, 23 have at least one LPGA win. That's a heck of a batting average.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I think it is neat that a small country can be so dominating in a world sport. You have to appreciate their hard work and dedication. They have raised the bar, and it will be fun to watch the rest of the players try to elevate their games to take place. I know our USA girls can do it! Go USA!!!

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those thread that I honestly don't know how is let to be here. If it were flippped around and talking about another groups superiority it would be locked and members banned in minutes. Pretty obvious the veiled intent..., as clear Americans (wie etc) have tried to be included in the Korean side. Which is nonsense.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As a person who grew up in Korea, I experienced many of the pressure that society puts in kids there. From very young age, we were competing in everything including school grades, sports, etc. Many kids ended up having nervous breakdown by the time they got to high school. It was a society that had mentality that if you are not the best, you failed. So Yeon Ryu's comment about about people making her felt like a failure because she did not make the 2016 Olympic team, and In Gee Chun's comment about people telling her that she is having a bad year because she had so many runner up finishes are very typical.

In school, every single test or exam was graded and ranked against all others in the classroom. Our report cards provided individual ranking for the entire school. Teachers gave out report cards and announced the ranking to entire class. The top ranked students were posted so that everyone can see upon entering the school. Students who did not do well in school were shamed in front of entire classes. It was not limited to schools. In Tae Kwon Do class, kids who were slow learners were ended up sparring against the best kids. Believe me, no one held back during sparring. You got beat up. We worked hard to avoid getting beat up or public shaming. Remember that in this part of the world, being shamed is worse than dying for many. There was no difference between bad behavior and failing at something.

Another factor is almost fanatical work ethics pushed by parents and teachers alike. My schedule at the age of 4 (!) was like this: 7:30 am to 1 pm Kindergarten, 1:30 pm to 3 pm music lesson, 3:30 pm to 5 pm Tae Kwon Do, 5:30 pm to 7 pm art school. We went to school 6 days a week. This is not unusual for many Korean kids growing up. There have been many articles that described how Korean kids become robotic and never learn to enjoy life. If anyone working or worked at Korean or Japanese companies, you will typically see people working 16 to 18 hour days.

One of the comment addressed Korean Archery dominance. One archery coach in Korea actually do this. For the first 6 months, all his students do the draw the correct way. That is all they will do. No firing arrows or anything. Just draw. This will be repeated until it became a habit. His famous quote is this: "Practice does not make it perfect; practice makes it permanent." This type of teaching does not go well in the US. No one will stand for that here. In Korea, no one will question this.

This is true for Korean golfers. They practice the swing repeatedly. This is all they do. This way, the swings do not breakdown in pressure situations.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to add some of my insight on this.

I think it's a valid topic for discussion provided it doesn't degenerate into a xenophobic rant. South Korea is roughly the same size as England, with ~2 million fewer people. Charley Hull is the highest ranked English player, currently at #26. There are 13 Korean players ranked ahead of her. There are 3 English players in the top 50 in the World, and 23 Korean players.

Surely there is something at work here, no?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I think it's a valid topic for discussion provided it doesn't degenerate into a xenophobic rant. South Korea is roughly the same size as England, with ~2 million fewer people. Charley Hull is the highest ranked English player, currently at #26. There are 13 Korean players ranked ahead of her. There are 3 English players in the top 50 in the World, and 23 Korean players.

Laura Davies vs Se Ri Pak

Case in point.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Case in point.

What's the case, he's stating facts, not opinion.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Case in point.

The idea that ones ethnic background predisposed them to play better golf. And him automatically stating that when someone disagress with that statement it is xenophobic ranting. That's what I was talking about.

Another member who was raised in Korea has outlined the strict upbringing that leads to the upward trend in performance. Upbringing that would be frowned upon in the states at best and possibly labeled abuse at worst . I'll stop there . Im sure you get the picture. It isn't any special recipe. It isn't genetics.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I can't believe that anyone would think that there is any genetic component to success in golf. Many of the top players in the world got there through sheer dedication, not pure athletic ability. Inbee? Ai? Lydia? Stacy? Jiyai? These are not your typical big bombers. Surely success at the highest level is simply a matter of dedication and hard work. It's often the result of hard work that begins at a very early age.

Case in point.

The idea that ones ethnic background predisposed them to play better golf. And him automatically stating that when someone disagress with that statement it is xenophobic ranting. That's what I was talking about.

Another member who was raised in Korea has outlined the strict upbringing that leads to the upward trend in performance. Upbringing that would be frowned upon in the states at best and possibly labeled abuse at worst . I'll stop there . Im sure you get the picture. It isn't any special recipe. It isn't genetics.

It's not genetics, nor did I see him mention genetics, it's cultural. All one needs to do is take a look at the LPGA Tour and realize that Korea has placed an emphasis on womens golf and is more successful currently than other countries.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Wk

Appears I'm misunderstanding. Posts like this ^^ is what led me to believe that train if thought was being used.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Actually

England is lot bigger than South Korean..

England (130,400 km²) is 1.31 times as big as South Korea (99,678 km²).

Actually

England is lot bigger than South Korean..

England (130,400 km²) is 1.31 times as big as South Korea (99,678 km²).

Ah, you are correct. I saw a website that said they were roughly the same size, but that's certainly not the case. The two populations are roughly equal, which still raises the same question.

• 4 weeks later...

So for me it's just purely the skill and elegance of the Koreans that make them worth watching. Plus they don't - thank goodness - behave like tasteless prima donnas, swearing and cussing when they miss putts, throwing temper tantrums, walking about with sour faces or deliberately holding up play.

...or screaming orders at their ball like crazy women.

Quote from the Golf Channel in the final round of the Canadian.... "You have to say that Cristie Kerr is very professional". So there you have it - that's what professionals do, scream at the ball.

I think it's kind of sexy. :)

In a chubby, bitchy kind of way? :dntknw:

It really is getting to be like Korea vs the world, and the world's looking like the underdog...

As a person who grew up in Korea, I experienced many of the pressure that society puts in kids there...

Rustbelt, I know you posted it a month ago, but thank you for the insights on what childhood's like there. Sounds like a total pressure cooker. Plusses and minuses for education, but I hate to think of favorite players being put through that, that young.