MG C4 vs the rest of the challengers

Phireside

Have not seen much about this ball in a long while. Any reason know one is talking about it? I think it was one of the first low cost tour ball challengers. How does it stack up against the likes of Vice, Snell, Maxfli, Cut, etc?

I have long been a fan of their gloves and always order them when I'm in the US.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the C-4. Nice tacky urethane cover that grabs and spins plenty. Feels very much like a ProV1 to me. It feels a little softer than a Kirkland Signature which is the same as a V1x to me. Not quite the steal of a deal as the Ksig but a great value at $20 per doz. and is readily available. I find little to complain about with this one.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

The C4 is a great ball. I played it for 2 years after switching from the prov1. I thought it spun plenty around the greens, maybe a little less but nothing extreme. At $20 per dozen, it's hard to beat. I finally just got sick of the logo (looks cheap in my opinion) so made the change to vice pro. I think it gets overlooked a lot considering it was really the first direct to consumer, lower cost, urethane ball. If you like the logo, don't hesitate to play them! Their gloves are great too!

How do you

The C4 is a great ball. I played it for 2 years after switching from the prov1. I thought it spun plenty around the greens, maybe a little less but nothing extreme. At $20 per dozen, it's hard to beat. I finally just got sick of the logo (looks cheap in my opinion) so made the change to vice pro. I think it gets overlooked a lot considering it was really the first direct to consumer, lower cost, urethane ball. If you like the logo, don't hesitate to play them! Their gloves are great too!

How do you like vice pro vs the mg! I enjoyed the MG but agree with you on the logo! Deal breaker for me..

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1286898-snell-my-tour-review-vs-b330s-vs-prov1-vs-mg-c4-vs-lethal/

This is a great write-up comparing it to competitors. In my opinion, I think it's a fair assessment and reflects my feelings on the ball. Also, just want to add, MG's gloves are great!! Especially since I can get them in that ugly beige color.

After reading the review, it really just re-affirms how subjective golf ball performance by swing can be. I couldn't disagree more that the c4 is affected more by wind than the ProV1. I actually found it to be more stable in the wind, especially off the tee, at least for me. Again, as always, the best option is to grab a dozen and see how they perform for your swing and what you like in a golf ball. I played them for 2 years and found them to perform admirably against the ProV1. I do agree the green side spin is probably a bit less with the C4 but not enough to where I thought it ever costed me shots. The logo just bothered me over time and now that there are other options like Vice I decided to make the change. Vice Pro is great, played it side by side with ProV1 and again, very very similar. I would say vice is more on par with the ProV1 for green side spin which makes it nearly identical in my opinion. It's also nice to have color options with Vice (well, if they can get them stocked that is ?).

• 3 weeks later...

I played these a long while ago but have since moved on. I'll definitely pick some up now since they are in yellow!

Look forward to reviews on this one. On paper, this sounds good, 3 piece, urethane and $20.00. Anyone know the compression?

In my experience it feels just a hair softer than a ProV

Good to know. That's firmer than I like. But, it's hard to find a cheap yellow tour ball, that has a lower compression. Callaway 15, maybe.

I played these a long while ago but have since moved on. I'll definitely pick some up now since they are in yellow!

Look forward to reviews on this one. On paper, this sounds good, 3 piece, urethane and $20.00. Anyone know the compression?

In my experience it feels just a hair softer than a ProV

Good to know. That's firmer than I like. But, it's hard to find a cheap yellow tour ball, that has a lower compression. Callaway 15, maybe.

Anyone game the new yellow MG C4 yet?

I really like the C-4. Nice tacky urethane cover that grabs and spins plenty. Feels very much like a ProV1 to me. It feels a little softer than a Kirkland Signature which is the same as a V1x to me. Not quite the steal of a deal as the Ksig but a great value at $20 per doz. and is readily available. I find little to complain about with this one.

I have been playing that ball about a month now. My buddy Bear and his brother ordered 4 dozen to try and they gave me 6 each. Love the ball to me it feels as soft as the Callaway Chrome Supersoft. It stops good around the greens for me and distance wise it is about the same as any other ball including either of the Pro V series. Putting is no issue for me love the feel. Durability is no issue either. I have played 54 holes with the same ball and have shot my best 3 rounds of the year with it 76 74 72. Of course since I turned 60 a month ago I have moved up to the Senior Tees with the modern sticks in the bag. Price wise they are the same as the deal I had getting used Grade AA Pro V-1s and 1Xs. The Callys are the same price too and play just as good. Now Bear his brother and I were going to piggyback a deal the other day and get 15 dozen but were told they were on back order. So we are waiting

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 7 months later...

I've played urethane balls from ProV, Bridgestone, Callaway, Srixon, Vice, Snell, etc. I gave the MG C4 a try. Honestly, it's just as long, it spins just as much, it's just as stable and it's soft and durable. It has a cheap looking logo and it comes in a very cheap box of 12 with no sleeves. For 19.99/dozen, I'm happy to deal with these minor drawbacks. I play to a 6-9 handicap (it depends on how much I'm working). :) This ball hasn't made me better or worse. It hasn't made me longer or shorter, it hasn't lowered or increased my scores. It feels great and it's saving me a lot of money. If I had to guess, I would say this is the original Callaway Hex Chrome with round dimples, not hexagonal ones. I know it's made in the same factory. I played the Callaway Hex Chrome for over a year. It feels very similar. If you play scratch or better, I can understand the argument of paying more for another ball because of a preference for a certain feel. However, if you're handicap is like mine or higher, you're probably just paying more for brand recognition or brand loyalty. One last thing, I've been playing them for over 6 months, they are as consistent as any other high quality ball. Every single one plays and reacts the same way.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...