Who on tour has a Malaska type swing??

Again when he hits balls he ISNT doing what he's demonstrating.

Of course not, he's demonstrating a feel ..... grab a club and do it. Then add body rotation and club shallows not steepens. The feel is that the club tips out early but it will not tip out until P6 and it better since it has to travel 4 feet or more to get to the ball.

Good for the pull the handle, EE in a desperate attempt to minimize the wipe fade 30 handicapper ... of course not.

BTW you helped a friend of mine a lot via online lessons. He just couldn't speed up his arms and get them in front with methods you conveyed ... still pulled butt. Malaska feel is final piece for him.

golow

This is where you’re wrong. The club absolutely doesn’t shallow for every one. Some might sense they are too steep and shallow in transition. But Many will just become steeper. Several people in this very thread have said that is exactly what happened to them and I’ve watched it happen with my very own eyes plenty of time.

Like I said the feel CAN work for SOME but Many will actually do what he’s demonstrating and get even steeper. It’s a specific feel for a specific subset of people. It’s far from universally applicable and for a good number of players would make them worse.

Which is all I’m saying. If the feel works for great. But acknowledging that a feel which isn’t supposed to actually happen, but when practiced by some will actually happen, isn’t going to work for everyone isn’t crazy. Nobody is saying he is a terrible teacher or that it won’t work for anyone.

Of course not, he's demonstrating a feel ..... grab a club and do it. Then add body rotation and club shallows not steepens. The feel is that the club tips out early but it will not tip out until P6 and it better since it has to travel 4 feet or more to get to the ball.

Good for the pull the handle, EE in a desperate attempt to minimize the wipe fade 30 handicapper ... of course not.

BTW you helped a friend of mine a lot via online lessons. He just couldn't speed up his arms and get them in front with methods you conveyed ... still pulled butt. Malaska feel is final piece for him.

golow™

This is where you're wrong. The club absolutely doesn't shallow for every one. Some might sense they are too steep and shallow in transition. But Many will just become steeper. Several people in this very thread have said that is exactly what happened to them and I've watched it happen with my very own eyes plenty of time.

Like I said the feel CAN work for SOME but Many will actually do what he's demonstrating and get even steeper. It's a specific feel for a specific subset of people. It's far from universally applicable and for a good number of players would make them worse.

Which is all I'm saying. If the feel works for great. But acknowledging that a feel which isn't supposed to actually happen, but when practiced by some will actually happen, isn't going to work for everyone isn't crazy. Nobody is saying he is a terrible teacher or that it won't work for anyone.

So I guess we do agree - works for some not for all ... I've said this twice in this thread and a couple of others.

But my own personal 2 cents is that if this works for any given player it is an effortless way to efficiently get a stable club face on the ball ... once you get the blend of Malaska's intent with body rotation it clicks and is repeatable. My overall feel is body rotates 30* or one hour on a clock face ahead of arms ... made it up but I can repeat the feel.

Gotta spend more time on the putting green though.

golow

That's 90% or more of amateurs

This move is no panacea. I've seen him radically change OTT slicers with a few other steps before he gets to this.

golow(TM )

This move is no panacea. I've seen him radically change OTT slicers with a few other steps before he gets to this.

golow(TM )

It’s marketed on the internet as a panacea

golow(TM )

It's marketed on the internet as a panacea

Where ? And don't say YT channel because he only focuses on this in a few of his 93 posted vids.

The misunderstanding I read in every Malaska thread by some in the gallery including teachers is painful. It's a feel ... add in rotation and "standing up the shaft" is mitigated .... it shallows. Watch every swing from every player he teaches.

Painful

He does an atrocious job communicating it then. Not a good teacher.

No...you do a horrible job of understanding it. Do a little more research and don't take one eight minute video so literal.

Malaska feel can be very effective for some people but Dan is right that nobody good is actually making that move. I used a similar feel with a player today and he started striping it. The problem I have is simply in his description of some of it. Gravity is not causing the club to fall behind and get stuck and a player doesn't have to tumble the club over forcefully if he has the center of mass under the force plane and pivots correctly. The hand path will cause the CoM to pull into plane.

The key to your Sasho reference is the pivots correctly part. A lot of good young players in my era dropped the COM way under the force plane by sliding. Definitely didn't stabilize or aid in squaring the face. If anything, lead to a roll release. I just think it's important to point out that shallowing and a good pivot don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Malaska feel can be very effective for some people but Dan is right that nobody good is actually making that move. I used a similar feel with a player today and he started striping it. The problem I have is simply in his description of some of it. Gravity is not causing the club to fall behind and get stuck and a player doesn't have to tumble the club over forcefully if he has the center of mass under the force plane and pivots correctly. The hand path will cause the CoM to pull into plane.

The key to your Sasho reference is the pivots correctly part. A lot of good young players in my era dropped the COM way under the force plane by sliding. Definitely didn't stabilize or aid in squaring the face. If anything, lead to a roll release. I just think it's important to point out that shallowing and a good pivot don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Would sliding drop the COM below the force plane in early transition or later in the swing? I haven’t seen many sliders shallow in early transition.

Every Malaska vid I've seen aside from 1

You are just making that up .... you can't link one where he says this is all you need to do and you'll have a great swing (panacea).

He doesn't show it or even mention it in most videos.

I am not making it up. He mentions it enough that it’s been titled the “Malaska move” and he describes it as something that doesn’t require timing and works every day. Also prevents injury. I would argue that unless a very specific player is using it as a feel, the opposite is true.

Would sliding drop the COM below the force plane in early transition or later in the swing? I haven’t seen many sliders shallow in early transition.

Every good player moves laterally. That is different than sliding and running the pelvis out from under the rib cage.

That's because they ran their lower body out from under their upper. They flattened their shoulders too early and shallower their upper body but not their arms.

Every Malaska vid I've seen aside from 1

You are just making that up .... you can't link one where he says this is all you need to do and you'll have a great swing (panacea).

He doesn't show it or even mention it in most videos.

I am not making it up. He mentions it enough that it's been titled the "Malaska move" and he describes it as something that doesn't require timing and works every day. Also prevents injury. I would argue that unless a very specific player is using it as a feel, the opposite is true.

You maybe right .... he mentions it enough for some on here to call it the Malaska Move .... Google search yielded one video of Brendon who titled it and said it to Mike in the video. He laughed but went with it. On the other hand maybe it's just created a bit of a buzz because it works for more than just a few people.

Did he ever actually say "it requires no timing and it works every day" ?

Starting to help me, good enough for Jack, Mikes amateur and professional students, and Tiger 2000 .... I'm gonna go with it for a bit.

golow™

edit: the Jeff Mann video doesn't count because he massacred (as expected) the "move" while giving his critical review

Well as people have said works for some but apparently not for others - for me combined with Monte's ideas especially the no turn cast drill . elbow chasing the belly button, bump-dump and turn seems the best solution for me to gain a repeatable swing that I am happy to build upon- both schools seem to my mind very similar in man ways especially in preventing developing a swing where you get stuck and/ or EE + feels very natural and easy on the body.

But I admit I do not know much!

Personally i think the problem with youtube teaching is that in most instances, they're showing you a fix for a specific issue they see in players, for me Mike is fixing those with an aggressive lower body transition, where they have a tendency to get spun out as well with the hands going out and then have to either early extend, or flip at the ball.

I see almost all instructors preaching the same things though, Zach Allen does a similar thing with the hand going down with the bottle in a pocket drill and so on, but he preaches feeling the club being layed off in the transition, almost falling, same as Crossfield and others, which is a fix for those over the top hitters who steepen the shaft in the transition.

Again, some will work for some players, some won't, but they'll find that out quickly when they try to put it into a full swing, for me all that the 'Malaska Move' is doing is making sure the hands don't go out and that the clubhead swings on an arc, i doubt many would complain about those being useful, but only to those who can implement it in their swing, is it massively different to the let the club fall at the transition for those who do steepen too much?

May have misunderstood comment re those who steepen too much - but to my mind when executing the "Malaska - Move" the club does "fall" and shallow in the transition - my feel is that it is a result/part of the Monte's "bump" - Malaska stipulates the same move of slight lateral move of left hip back to 10 - 10.30 o'clock ish (but can't recall terms he uses to describes it)". The feel is that the club naturally "Dumps" and shallows & then it is a matter of a pivoted turn - elbow chasing belly button, end of shaft stabbing lead leg , hands in club head out - whatever suits and is easiest to feel.

(Just to add a feel or real for me is that on the bump and dump part - for want of better terms - the right shoulder (& left) move very little - suppose a feeling of staying back, the triangle of the arms still in front of the chest -another feel is the initial "downswing " motion for skimming as stone - but once all the parts are together all the moves kind of blur into a continuous motion without thought of the various elements - feel or real as they maybe - but I know still have a lot of work to do)

This is so ridiculous IMO. No one understands it because (1) he’s fundamentally wrong about gravity and the role it plays in getting the club behind and (2) HES NOT A GOOD COOMUNICATOR. Jeev Milkha does the opposite of what he usually demonstrates. If he helps his own students and players, good for him/them. But to the extent he claims some underlying principle or move, he’s horrible at explaining it.

Ooh! I forgot I thought this! To me, it almost looks like Jeev Milka Singh literally does ‘the move’...

http://youtu.be/c9t8OHU0Olc

Seriously?

Yeah. It’s not the drill, but he’s doing to the handle, visibly, what I think Malaska is telling people they should feel.

How can you know what the player is feeling? I look super shallow like Singh and my feel is to never tip the shaft. It tips into plane nicely but it is never my feel or intent.

Ooh! I forgot I thought this! To me, it almost looks like Jeev Milka Singh literally does 'the move'...

Seriously?

Yeah. It's not the drill, but he's doing to the handle, visibly, what I think Malaska is telling people they should feel.

How can you know what the player is feeling? I look super shallow like Singh and my feel is to never tip the shaft. It tips into plane nicely but it is never my feel or intent.

Are you asking me, specifically, how can I know what a player is feeling, or were you asking that rhetorically? If the former, I have no idea what anyone else feels. I never said I did.

Ooh! I forgot I thought this! To me, it almost looks like Jeev Milka Singh literally does 'the move'...

Seriously?

Yeah. It's not the drill, but he's doing to the handle, visibly, what I think Malaska is telling people they should feel.

Are you asking me, specifically, how can I know what a player is feeling, or were you asking that rhetorically? If the former, I have no idea what anyone else feels. I never said I did.

Well if malaska is describing a feel that might work for some players and you can't tell what a player is feeling then it doesn't do much to say someone makes the "malaska move". You can't possibly know. My swing is shallow early and steepens into plane late. My intent is never to steepen it aka the anti malaska. Alex noren steepens into plane and his intent is definitely never to steepen.

y'all are nuts. He (Malaska) states repeatedly that this move/feel is for the guys that fire the hips and leave the arms behind. The Monte 68 ballerina. Then drive the handle, move the hands out at the ball and then try to time a flip. This is not a "how to swing" move. It's a exaggerated feel to remove a bad swing move.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I'm all for the malaska move for some players but I too have an issue with his rationale behind it. He says that due to the weight of the club the shaft has a tendency to shallow from the top and his move prevents that from happening too much. I like stuff that at least make sense and this frankly doesn't. Most hackers start down too steep and need the opposite move. Skipping a stone is a popular one.

y'all are nuts. He (Malaska) states repeatedly that this move/feel is for the guys that fire the hips and leave the arms behind. The Monte 68 ballerina. Then drive the handle, move the hands out at the ball and then try to time a flip. This is not a "how to swing" move. It's a exaggerated feel to remove a bad swing move.

one of his videos where he shows this and spouts the gravity nonsense is literally titled how to properly swing a golf club.