2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

facing the realities of age...

jmvargas

i am 72 with a condition called spinal lumbar stenosis and have been playing golf for the past 60 years..

according to my doctor my condition is not a disease thus it cannot be cured----but it can be managed..

i cannot walk long distances without pain settling in in my lower back and right leg and must take mild painkillers and anti-inflammatory medication for me to be able to play this game which i love...still resisting using a cane though..he he he!!

needless to say i cannot play without a cart..

my condition started about 5 years ago but luckily it has not worsened but has had serious effects on my ability to use my lower big muscles from the waist down and i have had to adjust my swing which is now mostly using my shoulders and arms..

this has resulted in a dramatic loss of distance by as much as 75 yards on my drives compared to when i was as low as a 3 handicap in my 20s and 30s and was a single hdcp well into my 50s on courses 6500-7000yds.

my good drives now seldom reach 200 yards with my average carry about 180 yards nowadays..

the good thing is i seldom miss fairways nowadays..

i still enjoy the game tremendously and quitting never entered my mind so i have made the following adjustments in order to continue playing and enjoying the game..

1..i have switched to A shafts in my longer clubs.

2. i use a lot of fairway woods and hybrids with my longest real irons staring at an 8( see my signature)

3. i use and experiment with a lot of "soft" balls including ladies balls.

4. i use the lightest clubs i can get as long as it feels right..my drivers are all sub-300 grams..

5. i play from the shortest tees available but not yet from the ladies tees...6000 yds max.

6. i avoid courses with a lot of uphill holes..fortunately there are many around here like that.

based on the above i break 90 regularly,break 85 occasionally..and 80 on really good days.

i do not join stroke-play tournaments any more...just fun events like member-guest,scrambles and stablefords..

i still enjoy the game tremendously and hope to play until i no longer cannot..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jm, count your blessings. At 72 if I were driving 200, keeping it on the fairway, and scoring in the 80s, I would be loving every minute on the course.

Sorry about your condition, but it sounds like you are managing it OK and you are adjusting your golf game accordingly and you should be able to keep playing for a quite a while. To quote one iconic WRXer, fairways and greens my friend.

jm, count your blessings. At 72 if I were driving 200, keeping it on the fairway, and scoring in the 80s, I would be loving every minute on the course.

Sorry about your condition, but it sounds like you are managing it OK and you are adjusting your golf game accordingly and you should be able to keep playing for a quite a while. To quote one iconic WRXer, fairways and greens my friend.

oh i do sir...every day--specially considering i had a quad bypass 8 years ago!!

just wanted to share my experience and hope it helps those in a similar way..

thanks and God bless!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

oh i do sir...every day..

just wanted to share my experience and hope it helps those in a similar way..

thanks and God bless!

Getting old is a b****....and, I'm afraid I'd rather face it head-on as opposed to the alternative.

There are worse things than playing at 6000 yards, my friend

I'm 65, and play the best golf of my life. I get a bit depressed with an under 200 yard average carry, but with summer drought, I still get it out 220-230. I have gotten 250+ on rare occasions.

I have back problems and arthritis, but under control, without prescription drugs and surgery. A six week chiropractic visit is keeping me mobile, at least for now. I pretty much walk exclusively, and enjoy the exercise.

Hope I can continue this for a long time.

OP, have you explored any physical therapies that might bring some relief and a little more mobility? My former neighbor is a great PT and it seems, from talking with her, there are a lot of new, exciting methods being developed in recent years. There’s also, Yoga, Feldenkrais, Trager, and the like. Might be worth looking into. Anyway, you have a great attitude and I wish you many more happy days of golf.

OP, have you explored any physical therapies that might bring some relief and a little more mobility? My former neighbor is a great PT and it seems, from talking with her, there are a lot of new, exciting methods being developed in recent years. There's also, Yoga, Feldenkrais, Trager, and the like. Might be worth looking into. Anyway, you have a great attitude and I wish you many more happy days of golf.

yes i have and have started some PT and recommended exercises and it has started to help...thanks.

PS...i also have some osteoarthritis but i guess that's almost expected at my age...

....and i really enjoy playing those downhill holes!! he he he!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

The important thing is that you are having fun. The game doesn't mind what tees you play. They are there for a reason. When I recovered from a heart attack, the doctor eased me back into golf. I started with the forward tees, and believe me I was not only happy to be playing golf again, but looking down on the grass and not up at it. lol

And if you have to take a cart? So what. The important thing is you are still playing. On days you feel better you can park the cart in places where you have to end up walking more.

In any case, it's great that you are playing, getting fresh air, sunshine (hopefully), and a bit of exercise!

Just enjoy it. You're probably one of the most versatile golfers at your club. I have had back surgery, wrist surgery and have an ongoing Achilles problem. I play between 8 an 14 hcap, depending on the day.

BUT due to adaptations made at various times, i can do it with a vardon, interlock or baseball grip. Hands and arms, short or long backswing, compact no wrist hinge swing. I can do it with blades or super GI.

My pals laugh at what swing im using for the day. All depends on whàt dosent hurt!

The important thing is the age in your head. As im sure you know. Enjoy. :good:

Just enjoy it. You're probably one of the most versatile golfers at your club. I have had back surgery, wrist surgery and have an ongoing Achilles problem. I play between 8 an 14 hcap, depending on the day.

BUT due to adaptations made at various times, i can do it with a vardon, interlock or baseball grip. Hands and arms, short or long backswing, compact no wrist hinge swing. I can do it with blades or super GI.

My pals laugh at what swing im using for the day. All depends on whàt dosent hurt!

The important thing is the age in your head. As im sure you know. Enjoy. :good:

i love that "All depends on what doesn't hurt" comment..

kinda applies to us super seniors almost every day!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Glad to see that you're still playing in spite of your difficulties. I'm almost 64, in denial about getting older, but fully aware that I'll have to make changes down the road a little ways.,

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

I'll be 65 next March and hurt my back in a fall 35 years ago. Consequently, I developedspondylolisthesis whereby my fifth lumbar vertebrae has partially slipped off of the fourth. I've tried a million different "cures" over the years including most of the usual stuff as well as injections and radio frequency nerve ablation. The radio frequency nerve ablation has helped tremendously and the benefits of the treatment typically lasts for (for me) between one and two years.

However, after being told since day one of my injury that I should NEVER go to a chiropractor lest I end up paralyzed, several years ago and after a particularly rough stretch I decided to take the chance and I'm glad that I did. I'm now beyond two years since my last radio frequency treatment and my pain level is quite manageable. I now visit the chiropractor once every six weeks or so for about a five minute evaluation and adjustment.

I've also begun another type of exercise called Foundation Training that was developed by a chiropractor named Dr. Eric Goodman and it has been extremely helpful. The exercises are challenging but but very low impact and the benefits in my case were nearly immediate. It involves a series of stretches that he personally developed that provide decompression benefits as well as enhancing strength. He has a two DVD program available on Amazon among other places for around $60.

However, if you're interested in just taking a look and maybe trying a few of the exercises, he also has a pretty extensive selection available on youtube. If you just type in either his name or Foundation Training it should take you to at least a half a dozen videos. The "workout" that I do takes about ten to fifteen minutes every morning but I find it to be quite liberating. My brother started the 12 minute version of the program a few weeks ago and he's completely sold.

Not that long ago, I thought my playing days were numbered as I, too, had lost a great deal of distance and golf was becoming very painful. However, I kept at it and kept researching possible alternatives and it's worked out very well for me. This past year I had recovered enough of my lost distance to move back to the blue tees and by the end of the year was back to averaging 260 - 270 off of the tee and am hitting my irons about as far as I did 20 or 30 years ago.

Perhaps most importantly, the game is fun again and I can play two or three days in a row if the weather's decent and I feel up to it. In fact, two weeks ago I had my low round of the year, a one over 73 from 6600 yards that included four birdies.

After not being able to stand for more than a few minutes or able to walk more than a couple of hundred feet I can now stand for ten to fifteen minutes without pain and can walk up to a mile on a level surface. I haven't tried walking while playing as I think I'm better off restricting my walking to more controlled and specific environments.

Best of luck to you and I would strongly encourage you to hang in there and continue to seek out different things that you can do to turn back the clock a bit and make that pain less debilitating.

Not everything works for everybody but quite often there's something out there that will work for you if you stay optimistic and persistent until you find it.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Many years ago we used to play a little 9 hole near London out on the A40 it had a little river around a par 3 that always caused a bottle neck. A group of old guys in front of us always stopped and had a little picnic while others played through. I got chatting to them one day and amongst other things asked what they went round in. They said they didnt keep score. As a young very fit 20 something i just couldnt understand how you could do that. I'm 66 now, very competitive, enter every comp going and always play off the back tees. But looking forward I can see the joy in not scoring, just playing.

Many years ago we used to play a little 9 hole near London out on the A40 it had a little river around a par 3 that always caused a bottle neck. A group of old guys in front of us always stopped and had a little picnic while others played through. I got chatting to them one day and amongst other things asked what they went round in. They said they didnt keep score. As a young very fit 20 something i just couldnt understand how you could do that. I'm 66 now, very competitive, enter every comp going and always play off the back tees. But looking forward I can see the joy in not scoring, just playing.

At 65, I don't keep score. I have a pretty good idea of score, but I just don't care.

I play pretty well with that attitude.

At 65, I don't keep score. I have a pretty good idea of score, but I just don't care.

I play pretty well with that attitude.

I like the "picnic" idea.

I'll be 65 next March and hurt my back in a fall 35 years ago. Consequently, I developedspondylolisthesis whereby my fifth lumbar vertebrae has partially slipped off of the fourth. I've tried a million different "cures" over the years including most of the usual stuff as well as injections and radio frequency nerve ablation. The radio frequency nerve ablation has helped tremendously and the benefits of the treatment typically lasts for (for me) between one and two years.

However, after being told since day one of my injury that I should NEVER go to a chiropractor lest I end up paralyzed, several years ago and after a particularly rough stretch I decided to take the chance and I'm glad that I did. I'm now beyond two years since my last radio frequency treatment and my pain level is quite manageable. I now visit the chiropractor once every six weeks or so for about a five minute evaluation and adjustment.

I've also begun another type of exercise called Foundation Training that was developed by a chiropractor named Dr. Eric Goodman and it has been extremely helpful. The exercises are challenging but but very low impact and the benefits in my case were nearly immediate. It involves a series of stretches that he personally developed that provide decompression benefits as well as enhancing strength. He has a two DVD program available on Amazon among other places for around $60.

However, if you're interested in just taking a look and maybe trying a few of the exercises, he also has a pretty extensive selection available on youtube. If you just type in either his name or Foundation Training it should take you to at least a half a dozen videos. The "workout" that I do takes about ten to fifteen minutes every morning but I find it to be quite liberating. My brother started the 12 minute version of the program a few weeks ago and he's completely sold.

Not that long ago, I thought my playing days were numbered as I, too, had lost a great deal of distance and golf was becoming very painful. However, I kept at it and kept researching possible alternatives and it's worked out very well for me. This past year I had recovered enough of my lost distance to move back to the blue tees and by the end of the year was back to averaging 260 - 270 off of the tee and am hitting my irons about as far as I did 20 or 30 years ago.

Perhaps most importantly, the game is fun again and I can play two or three days in a row if the weather's decent and I feel up to it. In fact, two weeks ago I had my low round of the year, a one over 73 from 6600 yards that included four birdies.

After not being able to stand for more than a few minutes or able to walk more than a couple of hundred feet I can now stand for ten to fifteen minutes without pain and can walk up to a mile on a level surface. I haven't tried walking while playing as I think I'm better off restricting my walking to more controlled and specific environments.

Best of luck to you and I would strongly encourage you to hang in there and continue to seek out different things that you can do to turn back the clock a bit and make that pain less debilitating.

Not everything works for everybody but quite often there's something out there that will work for you if you stay optimistic and persistent until you find it.

Regular doctors really knock chiropractors. I'm now on a six week interval, and Doc has kept me going for two years already.

Hope it continues.

Good Luck!

I started playing at 20. Had been a High School multi-sport athlete and could have played College Football but suffered a bad knee injury that prevented me getting a scholarship. Between the ages of 25 and 35 I carried between a 4 & 6 handicap. As my knees worsened in my late 30's I picked up another stroke or 2 but was still a very competitive golfer. Then 16 years ago at the age of 42 my World Changed. I suffered a devastating back injury while working out in the weight room basically crushing my L3. It took me a year of Chiropractic and Therapy to get back to moving unassisted under my own power. I did and do still use a cane though in case one of my knees decides it's not going to cooperate. So, after my years long recovery I wanted to see if I could still play golf. I found out quickly the answer was Yes, and No. I could play but it wasn't going to look Anything like it used to. I fought it. I wanted to return to being able to play competitively. I wanted to swing a club like I'd always swung it. I tried, worked at it, and grew ever more frustrated as it became apparent that was not going to be possible for me. I had always been cool on the course. Now I was cussing and throwing clubs, doing everything I hated seeing others do and I was coming home still mad. Fortunately for me I had married a very smart, very loving woman. She told me that I needed to accept my new reality and learn to play with what I physically could do now or give the game up. Because I love the game I worked at developing a workable swing that I could physically repeat. It's ugly but it works (most of the time.) The only thing that is now consistent about my game is it's inconsistency. So I quit keeping score. I know if I'm playing well or badly and don't need a number to tell me which. I know that when I'm playing badly that sooner or latter I'll start playing well again, and vice versa. Letting it all go and simply enjoying being out, and the beauty of the course and it's wildlife (not the testosterone fueled type) has allowed me to regain my Love of the Game and my Joy in Playing it.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I've been going to a chiropractor for 25 years. My GP thinks it's hooey, but that's OK as it's my back and I generally feel better after an adjustment. My current injury that i've been working through for about 7 weeks now is taking a lot more to remedy than anything I've dealt with in the past, so I've started physio therapy in conjunction with the chiropractor and massage therapist. I've also been walking a lot more than I ever did for no reason other than the exercise. It all seems to be helping although I have good days and bad. We just returned this morning from the west coast where we were visiting our son and future daughter-in-law for a few days. The plane rides don't do me any favours. Hopefully my practitioners can whip me back in shape quickly this week as I have appointments with all three spread out over the next few days.

I've resigned my self to the fact that this is going to be a process and I have to be willing to make the adjustments in order to keep doing what I want to do. I've met far too many people who rashly pronounce that if they had to do this or that they would quit! What''s the point in that? What will you do with yourself? If your social circle is that inflexible, then maybe you need some new friends! It's all about making the best we can with what we've got to work with.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

My own back odyssey started about 7 years ago now. Believe I have chronicled it before, so I’ll spare the long version and cut to the chase.

Spine Specialist in this part of the state, after shooting me up a couple of times, said surgery was the only option.

As a last ditch hope I went to a local Chiropractor. Took some work, it wasn’t any “magic” cure, but, after diligent work, by Dr C, and myself I am able to do most anything I want pain free, and with the series of stretches and exercises, that I follow religiously, and when I do feel a relapse heading my way, I can quiet the storm in a short amount of time.

You're 7 years older than me yet I can relate to much of your pain and distance loss. I'm right behind you! I Play a LOT of golf now and am getting better at taking care of my body so I can continue enjoying the game. I spend more time in the pool (lap swimming), stretching, regular chiropractic visits, and healthy eating. My biggest issues are lower back-related and left elbow related. Graphite shafts, shock-absorbing grips, and all of the above plus Ibuprofen!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Father Time is undefeated!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

guys..the important thing at our age specially is to remain positive---and always listen to our body..

good luck to us all...

and Merry Christmas!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

My biggest issues are lower back-related and left elbow related. Graphite shafts, shock-absorbing grips, and all of the above plus Ibuprofen!

Careful with the Ibuprofen. That is what sent me into emergency surgery this last August for a badly Perforated Ulcer and massive stomach infection.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Don’t worry jonny, you’ve only a decade to go till you hit the Fabulous Fifty, where you can be a bit more selectively forgetful, ill rational, selfish (in a good way,) and fashionably late (on any occasion you choose.)

People will just chalk it up to age.

Quite liberating actually.

Whatever mark one has chosen to make is usually made and one can concentrate more fully on the things that actually matter.

Something along the lines of what the ghost of Jacob Marley said, while rattling his chains at Scrooge, in Dickin’s Christmas Carol, “Mankind was my business.”