Project X 7.0 vs DG X7

Dcoop86

I used to play PX7.0 for years. Had the old satin ones and I actually prefer the feel of DG to them now that I've actually given DG a try. (not sure why I hadn't previously...) I actually really liked the X200. It's not that different in weight from X100 but for some reason they feel different to me... :shrug: Anyway, I'd just echo what a lot of comments have already said with the PX7.0 but I didn't find them all that harsh. But hey, everyone is different. Just to muddy the waters a bit, I've also heard that the Tour Spec KBS Tour-V 130 are decent too.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play PX7.0 for years. Had the old satin ones and I actually prefer the feel of DG to them now that I've actually given DG a try. (not sure why I hadn't previously...) I actually really liked the X200. It's not that different in weight from X100 but for some reason they feel different to me... :shrug: Anyway, I'd just echo what a lot of comments have already said with the PX7.0 but I didn't find them all that harsh. But hey, everyone is different. Just to muddy the waters a bit, I've also heard that the Tour Spec KBS Tour-V 130 are decent too.

Echo the comments of lower spin? Or that they play stiff? Did you find the x7 had anything better for performance for you like lower spin over the px7.0?

Echo the comments of lower spin? Or that they play stiff? Did you find the x7 had anything better for performance for you like lower spin over the px7.0?

I didn't think they felt overly stiff but required a more aggressive swing to work. I play X100 now and really like how they feel. They also perform better for me. I used to get high spinners sometimes from PX but DG doesn't for me. Never tried X7 before. I did find that Nippon Modus 125X plays similarly to the PX7.0 but feels a ton better.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

How do the Modus 130x compare to the 2s14 protos? I want to test the Modus as a replacement for the 7.0 since they are almost impossible to find these days.

Modus 130 hit much higher and spin a ton more than the 2s14. If you want something close to a 7.0 PX, hard step a set of Ctaper 130x.

I used Modus 130X before switching to 2S14. I love the feel and get great distance with Modus, but I mostly play at a windy course with a lot of water, 4 par 3’s over water and a par 4 parallel to it (9-hole course). I can’t have my ball hanging out in the wind so I’ve re-tooled shafts to manipulate flight. I’m also learning what I think is the best way to manipulate flight,... use different clubs and swings rather than rely on equipment to do it. Funny, as of now I get better results from the equipment than the swing, but it’s getting better.

I had my best year for GIR with the Modus but on high wind days I might as well stay on the stool at the 19th.

Hope that helps.

I didn't think they felt overly stiff but required a more aggressive swing to work. I play X100 now and really like how they feel. They also perform better for me. I used to get high spinners sometimes from PX but DG doesn't for me. Never tried X7 before. I did find that Nippon Modus 125X plays similarly to the PX7.0 but feels a ton better.

I have always heard the 125X played closer to the DG, that's why I have always stayed away from them. May have to try them.

• 3 weeks later...

OP,

Have you made a decision yet? I was going to buy a new set of irons, but since I cannot find the PX 7.0's I am going to stick with what I got and test shafts till I find a replacement for the 7.0's.

I did, I put an order in with Will Peoples for the p730 with 7.0s 1/2" long

How have you been liking them?

I just ordered a 6iron with the X7 in it and will add some info, in case any lost souls are in search for more info. Currently using Modus 130X, but I was using PX 7.0s which I had no complaints about, but I had a deal on Miura Cb57s with the modus, that I couldn't pass up.

I'll be installing a C taper 130X, Modus 130X, Project X7.0 and Dynamic Gold X7 in a Taylormade PSI Tour, all with tour velvet grip standard

I haven't hit the KBS Tour-V LE 130....but I game the KBS Tour-V LE 125 and let me say that they are EXACTLY what I was looking for. I've always been a high ball hitter with high spin, and this shaft has brought my flight and spin down.

I've played the PX 6.5, KBS C Taper 130x, Steelfiber 125x and the KBS Tour-V LE 125 is the best shaft for me. Paired with the KBS 610 wedge shafts...I don't believe I'll be changing any time soon.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 8* - Tensei White Pro 70TX

Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood (14*) - Kai'Li White 80x (tipped extra 1/2")

Callaway UW 17* - Kai'Li White 90TX

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3 (20*) - Kai'Li White 100TX

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-9 - KBS Tour V 125 S+

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 55 & 60 - KBS 610

TaylorMade Spider S Platinum Single Bend - KBS CT Tour Matte Black shaft

I haven't hit the KBS Tour-V LE 130....but I game the KBS Tour-V LE 125 and let me say that they are EXACTLY what I was looking for. I've always been a high ball hitter with high spin, and this shaft has brought my flight and spin down.

I've played the PX 6.5, KBS C Taper 130x, Steelfiber 125x and the KBS Tour-V LE 125 is the best shaft for me. Paired with the KBS 610 wedge shafts...I don't believe I'll be changing any time soon.

My love for the KBS 610 wedge shafts makes me want to try the KBS Tour-V LE 125, but the PX 7.0 have been working well so why mess with a good thing. I need to stop tinkering and just play golf.

OP,

Have you made a decision yet? I was going to buy a new set of irons, but since I cannot find the PX 7.0's I am going to stick with what I got and test shafts till I find a replacement for the 7.0's.

I just ordered a 6iron with the X7 in it and will add some info, in case any lost souls are in search for more info. Currently using Modus 130X, but I was using PX 7.0s which I had no complaints about, but I had a deal on Miura Cb57s with the modus, that I couldn't pass up.

I will receive them in about 2 weeks. So no updates on my end yet but will certainly give some feedback when they arrive.

OP,

Looking forward to your thoughts. I've used 7.0 and X7 in the past and use Modus 130x now. I still have a PW-6 with 7.0 that gets some range time every now and then. Just haven't make made the full switch mainly because I don't have 4&5i shafts

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV

Surprising the bend profiles are really similar. Just a little difference in the butt section and the x7 being just a hair stiffer overall. The X7s are more similar to the project x design than the regular dynamic golds

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

TSr2+ 14.5* Tour AD DI 9x

TSi3 20* Hybrid Tour AD DI 115tx

u500 4, t100 5-PW, GW Dynamic Gold x100

SM8 54s, 60d Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Classic Newport 

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I've hit X7, ctaper 130x, SF i125X, PX 6.5 and 7.0 -- finally went to X100 hard stepped once. soft enough for me in feel and gives me the dependable low to low-mid ballflight i'm looking for.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Finally got the clubs in. This will most likely be a weird take on the 7.0 but from one day on the course, I was totally shocked. I was expecting a very stiff (understatement) from what people say but actually felt the PX 7.0 to feel softer than the C Taper. The funny thing is that even with weaker lifts in the new irons, the ball flew with a better shape and at least the same distance. I have no numbers yet but hope to get some as soon as possible. Still surprised that the shafts didn’t feel near as stout as I was expecting.

Finally got the clubs in. This will most likely be a weird take on the 7.0 but from one day on the course, I was totally shocked. I was expecting a very stiff (understatement) from what people say but actually felt the PX 7.0 to feel softer than the C Taper. The funny thing is that even with weaker lifts in the new irons, the ball flew with a better shape and at least the same distance. I have no numbers yet but hope to get some as soon as possible. Still surprised that the shafts didn’t feel near as stout as I was expecting.

I really think the number 7.0 scares people. They think they are telephone poles when they are not. I am a fan of them and will play them as long as I can get them.

I got out to hit the X7, 7.0, and modus 130x yesterday and man did I realize why I had the 7.0's for so long. I hit the X7 a little lower than the other two but the crisp feeling of a pure 7.0 shot is unbeatable. High long and straight

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV

I’ve done some digging in the past on the shafts mentioned throughout your thread and from what I’ve gathered people tend to believe that the PX 7.0 don’t feel as harsh as PX 6.5 for whatever reason.

I don’t have any experience with either but found that rather interesting. I wonder if anyone who’s hit both could chime in and give their thoughts. If that’s true I’m curious what sort of flight/spin/feel comparisons someone could give on the 7.0 vs 6.5

I just ordered a new set of irons and ended up going with the 6.5s. I was trying to decide between 6.5, 7.0, modus 125x or 130x.

I have the c tapers in S+ (Srixon 745) and X (Srixon 765) both at +3/4” and the X feel more counterbalanced than the S+ for sure. I should get the SW checked....

Interested to see how things progress for you and your findings.

I’ve done some digging in the past on the shafts mentioned throughout your thread and from what I’ve gathered people tend to believe that the PX 7.0 don’t feel as harsh as PX 6.5 for whatever reason.

I don’t have any experience with either but found that rather interesting. I wonder if anyone who’s hit both could chime in and give their thoughts. If that’s true I’m curious what sort of flight/spin/feel comparisons someone could give on the 7.0 vs 6.5

I just ordered a new set of irons and ended up going with the 6.5s. I was trying to decide between 6.5, 7.0, modus 125x or 130x.

I have the c tapers in S+ (Srixon 745) and X (Srixon 765) both at +3/4” and the X feel more counterbalanced than the S+ for sure. I should get the SW checked....

Ya I’ll be interested in hearing that comparison as well. Now I’m curious what the DG X7 feels like since the 7.0 is described as “harsh” and “boards” while the X7 is typically said to feel better. So far the 7.0 feels almost smooth compared to my C Taper.

With 2* weaker lofts I’m about 7 yards shorter with equal spin numbers... meaning if I matched lofts I’m willing to bet spin would be lower and distance would be longer. Time will tell if I end up going 2* strong from stock but I’m betting I won’t. The gapping works out better at the bottom of the bag this way.

I’ve played both the 6.5 and 7.0. The 6.5 felt weird to me like I could not control them, very inconsistent in every aspect of my iron play. I think it was a combo of the weight and flex, but wouldn’t say they felt any harsh at all, still smooth, and weird. Now the 7.0’s just seem to fit me, to get me, and I can swing freely knowing that if I put a good swing on them I will get the results I want. I have no complaints about them except I like to tinker.

• 1 month later...

Dcoop, any more rounds with these? How are you liking them?

Unfortunately I haven’t been out as much as I’d like but have been to the driving range a little bit. I love the clubs, the ball flight and spin seem to be very close to the C Taper. I still get a kick out of the comments aboutbtge 7.0 being harsh feeling or boardy. I’d say the C Taper has a much stiffer feel than the 7.0, almost like the entire shaft is stiff where as the 7.0 feels like it loads/flexes more in the middle.

Overall still very happy with them and the irons are 2* weaker in the new set so flight and spin may be different but hard to tell with the relatively large change in loft.

Alright gents, for the record the following applies for MY SWING and my opinion in regards to "feel."

About me:

Single digit for the last three years. Playing a small draw on most shots.

6i avg: 98, Driver avg 118, swing to close to parrallel, biggest fault is dragging the handle leaving face open.

The "test"- took 4 Taylormade PSI Tour 6 irons and had my club builder build them to Taylormade length, loft, but to adjust the lie angles, and swing weight to match my current set of Miura CB57s (d3), installed C taper 130x, Modus 130X, Project X7.0, Dyanmic Gold X7- all with a tour velvet standard +3 wraps.

-Feel on Full Swing (best to worst)- Project X, X7, Modus, C taper

C taper: Hollow through the swing, Uniform load/ unloading, muted at impact, hardest to tell kick point (higher than modus, felt lower than px)

Modus: Lagging behind, fat shot feeling even on clean strikes, most noticeble weight in the hands, felt like lowest kick point

Project X: best feedback, uniform load/unloading, snap at impact, felt kick in the mid section

X7: Kick point nearest the hands, heaviest near the tip/ head, 2nd best feedback,

-1/2 Swing & 3/4 swings (best to worst)- Modus, X7, Project X, C taper-

C taper: Hard to tell where the head is, doesn't seem responsive to finesse

Modus: Best flight and spin for these shots, feedback not the best, but not the worst

Project X: better with 3/4 swings, better than c taper seems to have more weight in the tip, 2nd best feedback

X7: Easy to tell where the head is in the swing, best feedback, harder to get to spin and stop

-Full swing Flight/ Spin (highest to lowest): Modus, C taper, Project X, X7-

C taper: Mid flight, weighting caused issues with timing/ dispersion, wanted to go straight, but good hop and stop without spinning back or releasing too much

Modus had the highest flight/ spin backed up quite a few, worst dispersion, weighting issues

Project X: Lower flight and spin than c taper, easiest to flight high/ low, 2nd lowest spin

X7: Best dispersion, seemed to have a tendency to over draw- may have been me, hardest to get up when needed. Lowest spin, not difficult to hold greens, released more when pulled/ over drawn.

-Conclusions- Softest to stiffest feeling shaft: Modus, C taper, Project X, X7. The current irons I have are shafted with the modus 130x and honestly not impressed with them- dispersion isn't as terrible as it sounds above, its just shown not to be a good fit- especially with my main miss (open face) exacerbating left and right issues. After testing I am going to have them reshafted with project X7.0's, not the X7's- don't think i could do well in the AM with them, though they do feel like a beefy X100. I use to have a set of srixon z965's w/ Project X7.0s but fell into the newer must be better trap. Distance between all 4 on good shots was a bit of a wash, but the 7.0s were the most consistent all around- and gave me the flexibility for different shots. If you have a moderate to quick tempo go 6.5 if you have a quicker tempo go 7.0.

If any one has any questions feel free to ask.

Finally got the clubs in. This will most likely be a weird take on the 7.0 but from one day on the course, I was totally shocked. I was expecting a very stiff (understatement) from what people say but actually felt the PX 7.0 to feel softer than the C Taper. The funny thing is that even with weaker lifts in the new irons, the ball flew with a better shape and at least the same distance. I have no numbers yet but hope to get some as soon as possible. Still surprised that the shafts didn't feel near as stout as I was expecting.

I really think the number 7.0 scares people. They think they are telephone poles when they are not. I am a fan of them and will play them as long as I can get them.

probably be available as long as Rory plays them and needs spares!

Alright gents, for the record the following applies for MY SWING and my opinion in regards to "feel."

About me:

6i avg: 98, Driver avg 118, swing to close to parrallel, biggest fault is dragging the handle leaving face open.

The "test"- took 4 Taylormade PSI Tour 6 irons and had my club builder build them to Taylormade length, loft, but to adjust the lie angles, and swing weight to match my current set of Miura CB57s (d3), installed C taper 130x, Modus 130X, Project X7.0, Dyanmic Gold X7- all with a tour velvet standard +3 wraps.

C taper: Hollow through the swing, Uniform load/ unloading, muted at impact, hardest to tell kick point (higher than modus, felt lower than px)

Modus: Lagging behind, fat shot feeling even on clean strikes, most noticeble weight in the hands, felt like lowest kick point

Project X: best feedback, uniform load/unloading, snap at impact, felt kick in the mid section

X7: Kick point nearest the hands, heaviest near the tip/ head, 2nd best feedback,

Modus: Best flight and spin for these shots, feedback not the best, but not the worst

Project X: better with 3/4 swings, better than c taper seems to have more weight in the tip, 2nd best feedback

X7: Easy to tell where the head is in the swing, best feedback, harder to get to spin and stop

C taper: Mid flight, weighting caused issues with timing/ dispersion, wanted to go straight, but good hop and stop without spinning back or releasing too much

Modus had the highest flight/ spin backed up quite a few, worst dispersion, weighting issues

Project X: Lower flight and spin than c taper, easiest to flight high/ low, 2nd lowest spin

X7: Best dispersion, seemed to have a tendency to over draw- may have been me, hardest to get up when needed. Lowest spin, not difficult to hold greens, released more when pulled/ over drawn.

-Conclusions- Softest to stiffest feeling shaft: Modus, C taper, Project X, X7. The current irons I have are shafted with the modus 130x and honestly not impressed with them- dispersion isn't as terrible as it sounds above, its just shown not to be a good fit- especially with my main miss (open face) exacerbating left and right issues. After testing I am going to have them reshafted with project X7.0's, not the X7's- don't think i could do well in the AM with them, though they do feel like a beefy X100. I use to have a set of srixon z965's w/ Project X7.0s but fell into the newer must be better trap. Distance between all 4 on good shots was a bit of a wash, but the 7.0s were the most consistent all around- and gave me the flexibility for different shots. If you have a moderate to quick tempo go 6.5 if you have a quicker tempo go 7.0.

That’s a great review! I completely agree with my experience between the C Taper and 7.0. I can’t comment on the others as I’ve never hit them but very happy I made the switch to the PX 7.0 from the C Taper. Much better shaft for me.

About me:

Great review indeed!

I have a fairly similar profile as yours, except for the fact that my backswing and transition is more like J Day's, i.e do not get the club to parrallel and extremely aggresive transition.

Current Clubs: Srixon Z745 with KBS Tour X 130

I went to a very reputable fitter last week and we tried playing with multiple shaft options (Z765 heads). THe options were

Nippon SPB

DG TI X100

DG X7

My dispersion and spin were quite high with TI X100 and it was a battle between SPB and DG x7. At the end, the X7's won, both on how i felt the club as well as the numbers (higher ball speed/Good peak height/Spin/dispersion) as all these numbers were better with the X7 vs. the SPB.

I am getting my existing Z745's reshafted with DG X7's this week and will report further on their performance as i take them out to the range/course.

• 1 month later...