2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

On Course Mizuno MP18 SC Reviews ....

tgolfer78

I hit the SCs a good amount indoors and strongly preferred them over the 718 AP2s. This was before the X Forgeds were released, and I wasn't interested in the iBlades. I was about the pull the trigger on them when I came across a like-new set of MP-57s that I got for next to nothing. The SCs and 57s look nearly identical at address, although the blade length of the SCs is juuuussst a bit longer (copyright: Bob Uecker). But, I'm striping the 57s outdoors, they were way cheaper, and they look better, so I'll be sticking with them. (For the record, I didn't like the 25s either when I demoed them and thought they looked like crap.)

Youre comparing the largest MP cavity back in the 57 to the MP18 SC thats ridiculous they couldnt be more different.

I hit the SCs a good amount indoors and strongly preferred them over the 718 AP2s. This was before the X Forgeds were released, and I wasn't interested in the iBlades. I was about the pull the trigger on them when I came across a like-new set of MP-57s that I got for next to nothing. The SCs and 57s look nearly identical at address, although the blade length of the SCs is juuuussst a bit longer (copyright: Bob Uecker). But, I'm striping the 57s outdoors, they were way cheaper, and they look better, so I'll be sticking with them. (For the record, I didn't like the 25s either when I demoed them and thought they looked like crap.)

I was really surprised to read this regarding the blade length. I used to play 57s and assumed they were one of the "bigger" MP irons in regards to blade length. I found them very easy to play even as a pretty high handicap

As a somewhat recent Mizuno convert I've picked up sets of 60s, 52s, and 53s along with my 57s. In addition to not liking the 25s, I didn't care for the look of the 54s either. The 57s don't seem to get a lot of love here, maybe because they replaced the uber-popular 60s and have a thicker topline (just relative to the 60s). I did a fair amount of research and don't recall seeing much commentary on blade length.

My mint set of 53s just arrived yesterday! The topline appears to be the same as the 57s and the blade length a hair longer, meaning the topline and blade lengths of the 53s and SCs are visually identical to me.

In comparing all of those sets, my conclusions are:

Topline (descending thickness): 52 > 57 = 53 = SC > 60

Blade length (descending): 52 > 53 = 18 > 57 > 60

Forgiveness (descending): 53 > SC > 57 > 60 (I returned the 52s because the cavities in the long irons were noticeably visible at address.)

you think the SC are more forgiving than 57 and 60?

How did they compare to MP53??

Ive played and owned all these Mizunos and theres NO WAY the SC is more forgiving than the MP57 or 60 theyre the least forgiving and shortest of all the MPs I've played.

I was really surprised to read this regarding the blade length. I used to play 57s and assumed they were one of the "bigger" MP irons in regards to blade length. I found them very easy to play even as a pretty high handicap

As a somewhat recent Mizuno convert I've picked up sets of 60s, 52s, and 53s along with my 57s. In addition to not liking the 25s, I didn't care for the look of the 54s either. The 57s don't seem to get a lot of love here, maybe because they replaced the uber-popular 60s and have a thicker topline (just relative to the 60s). I did a fair amount of research and don't recall seeing much commentary on blade length.

My mint set of 53s just arrived yesterday! The topline appears to be the same as the 57s and the blade length a hair longer, meaning the topline and blade lengths of the 53s and SCs are visually identical to me.

In comparing all of those sets, my conclusions are:

Topline (descending thickness): 52 > 57 = 53 = SC > 60

Blade length (descending): 52 > 53 = 18 > 57 > 60

Forgiveness (descending): 53 > SC > 57 > 60 (I returned the 52s because the cavities in the long irons were noticeably visible at address.)

you think the SC are more forgiving than 57 and 60?

How did they compare to MP53??

Ive played and owned all these Mizunos and theres NO WAY the SC is more forgiving than the MP57 or 60 theyre the least forgiving and shortest of all the MPs I've played.

sounds like you didnt like the 18 SC?

Im lookign for some Real on course results for those who have played MP18 SC.

Ive played MP33 52 53 (best ever) MP 15, 64 and a few others over the years....

I haven't been too happy with the latest mizuno irons - the 25s were horrible.

Looking to go back to MP irons and the MP18 SC Look great. I've hit them in the fitting bay a few times and hit them decent but not amazing but havne't hit with S300 which is what I always play.

Anybody playing them? Can anyone compare with other MP irons?? Can anyone compare with I Blade, Ap2 or Xforged??

Distance, forgiveness or feel???

Thanks!

MP18 SC are unforgiving and short X forged are best of ones you mentioned

I’ve owned every club in the MP18 line (still own the mmc and fli hi). I think mb and sc play very similar. Sc long irons are easier to hit. The mmc are just as easy to hit, but I get faster ball speeds and lower spin with them than the others, which is slightly longer distance. So do most reviewers, but they don’t mention it for some reason. Mmc also has slightly more offset than mb and sc and slightly firmer sound.

I am currently playing the x forged while the mmc are sitting in my office cooling off....(they decided to get a case of the thins). lmao!

Bottom line.... they are all excellent, but with very slight differences that won’t show up on a launch monitor.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Looking to go back to MP irons and the MP18 SC Look great. I've hit them in the fitting bay a few times and hit them decent but not amazing but havne't hit with S300 which is what I always play.

Anybody playing them? Can anyone compare with other MP irons?? Can anyone compare with I Blade, Ap2 or Xforged??

Thanks!

I came from a Srixon 965-765 combo to the MP18 combo. The Srixon has stronger lofts by about 2* and the shaft was a bit longer. I didn't lose anything in the switch. The MP18 sc 6 is 30* and goes as far as any other 30* iron I've hit.

Hit them anywhere near the center and they're plenty forgiving.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Youre comparing the largest MP cavity back in the 57 to the MP18 SC thats ridiculous they couldnt be more different.

Yes, and I stand by that since I actually took my MP-57 to PGASS and put it right next to the MP-18 SC. If they had had the same shaft and grip, it would've been hard for me to tell the difference between them at address.

As a replacement for the MP-60, I doubt very many people would agree that the MP-57 is the largest MP cavity back. IMO that's definitely the MP-52, and the MP-53 is also larger than the MP-57. (I'm only talking about models that were available to lefties.)

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

Thanks!

I came from a Srixon 965-765 combo to the MP18 combo. The Srixon has stronger lofts by about 2* and the shaft was a bit longer. I didn't lose anything in the switch. The MP18 sc 6 is 30* and goes as far as any other 30* iron I've hit.

Wow.... That's a jump from one quality Endo forged iron to another quality forged Iron by Mizuno. What made you switch and which feels softer to you ?

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

these (SC) Felt amazing but having doubts about the forgiveness - the AP2 and xforged seemed miles for forgiving

have to disagree here- had them for a week and felt like lumps of hard metal with zero forgiveness to me- gutted as I wanted to like them after a fitting

Disagree on what in particular? I sure hope you’re not referring to the SC as lumps of hard metal? LOL

NO players MB or CB feels good on thin shots....it’s just distance loss that you want minimized....that’s why they’re in the better ball striker’s category and not “I need forgiveness” category....

Sometimes distance loss is not a bad thing....maybe not in the water or pot bunker.

None

Thanks!

Wow.... That's a jump from one quality Endo forged iron to another quality forged Iron by Mizuno. What made you switch and which feels softer to you ?

I was very happy with the Z's but needed to make a shaft change. Both feel great. The Mizuno's may be a bit softer but the bigger thing for me was distance control. The MP's shine there. Expected to have a little less forgiveness in them but not seeing it so far. Very impressed.

I tried a lot of different heads and there are tons of good choices right now. But the MP's fit me best, were so easy to blend thru out the set and I'm confident I made the right choice.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a big box store today and hit all 3 vs my existing MP-25, same shaft, C-Taper X, all 6 irons. For me, the blade was easily the shortest club. When flushed, it was just as long as the others. But consistently 4 mph slower (73 club head avg). The MMC was the longest, mainly because it's 2 degrees stronger, but didn't feel as good as the SC. I came from JPX 800 Pro then into MP 59's, and now my MP 25's. The SC was the best feeling and I was getting the most speed and distance. My average club head speed average was 82 vs 79 for my MP 25. And again, that feel, it's just so nice. Now I'm obsessed with getting them.

My problem is I already spent $1,300 on a new driver, 3 wood, two new wedges, and a new putter. Gonna have an uphill battle with my boss to spend another $900 on irons. To be continued...

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

It’s just a matter of looks (18s have thick top line and short heel to toe length with a high toe as well. Better finish too). I’ve gamed the MP60 for over a decade. I did a hitting session with the 60, 18mb, 18sc, 18MMC and 900T.

The 60 and 18sc are very similar in performance. 18mb was the softest feeling but most difficult to hit, when you flush it is right up there. Best looking of the bunch.

MMC, just sucked on feeling and that was enough for me to say no.

The 900T was best suited for me, thank goodness because I really liked the looks of the 18mb.

Everything was within 4 yards for me but the 900T was the easiest and most consistent.

I was going to replace some MP60’s with these. Sounds like I might be buying the same club?

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting the SC's and replaced my 25's. Easily my favorite iron I've ever owned (previously had the JPX 800 Pro, MP-59, MP-25). Best feeling iron I've ever owned, and I LOVED the 59's. The 25's ended up being a really solid iron. The problem was they were just a little...different. Different feel, sound, and they were a little shorter. I don't think I ever got the lofts changed on them either because my SC's all had the lofts checked when I picked them up (a couple had to be bent to spec) and every iron is between a half club and a full club longer than my 25s (but the specs are identical). I'm so so so so so glad I pulled the trigger. You will to.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

I've got the MP18 blades and the 900T as a back up, I truly love them both. I have played Mizuno irons for the past 30 years and still to this day Nothing feels like a Mizuno!

Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
3W-Titleist TS3 15.75* w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Bridgestone Tour B X

So I went out and did something yesterday that I haven't done since my playing days...put a new set of irons (5-PW, already have a 3 and 4 iron that I absolutely love) in my bag. I have a great friend down in Florida who is the Director of Instruction at his club and uses Trackman pretty extensively for teaching and fitting and whatever else he can...he and I were talking this week while I was down there for work and we got together for about a couple of hours to really try to dial in the irons that I have been playing with for a few years to see if they could/needed to be tweaked or if there was a better fit.

After about two hours working on some different things, we decided that a new fit and some new technology was the way to go.

I'll use and pay attention to the numbers to an extent when it comes to Trackman and all that tech stuff when it comes to what fits, or what the "optimal" numbers are...but, I also have a "launch window" that I like to see the ball going thru when I hit it. If the club that I'm hitting gets the ball in that window, I'll consider putting it in my bag. If not, I'm not really interested...

So, I had switched to the new TaylorMade M3 with the CK Pro White x about 6 weeks ago from the Callaway Epic that I had been playing and it is an absolute beast. I figured that while I had the chance, I'd get with my buddy and look at where my irons were and get his opinion. I've been playing with Cobra S3 Pros that were produced when Acushnet still manufactured that iron that I bought from a friend of mine after he said that they were just too much club for him and have loved them. I'll also admit that I'm truly a Mizuno guy...I've owned MP-14, MP-29, MP-32, MP-33', MP-37, MP-57, and most recently MP-64.

We went thru about 14-15 different iron heads and probably 30 different shafts and settled on the new Mizuno MP-18 SC with Nippon Tour120X shafts. I took them out yesterday for their first run and WOW! are they good. Back to my old distances (161 with a "stock, driving range" 8 iron swing) and the ball flight is just perfect. Not too much spin, but plenty to make the ball stop on even the hardest greens...couldn't be happier.

• 2 months later...

Just started using the SC's and absolutely love them. Have them in the KBS Ctaper 130x's. I came from using the MP-25 and these are definitely longer. I was confused because after a few times using the SC's on the range I was getting a little higher ball flight....even with the C Tapers. I came to realize it was because I was finding the middle of the face more.

I have also noticed that they are surprisingly forgiving. On the course, I hit a few dodgy shots and was not as punished as I thought I should be. The ball still carried a good distance and had a good flight on it. I was able to flight it well (beneath tree branches and over trees) and the feel was responsive and ever so rewarding when you find the middle.

Overall they feel great, I am finding the middle of the face more, getting more distance and gaining consistency again. Best golf purchase I have made yet.

I've had the SC since it came out last fall. Great feel and looks. Performance-wise, it delivers what you put in, which I like.

I actually have a slight combo set, as I have the MMC in the 4 iron. I like the slightly larger blade length and top-line of the MMC 4-iron (greater confidence) compared to the SC. I looked at the Fli-Hi, but I didn't like how thick the sole was. I have MMC bent one-degree weak to gap into the rest of set.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I've had the SC since it came out last fall. Great feel and looks. Performance-wise, it delivers what you put in, which I like.

I actually have a slight combo set, as I have the MMC in the 4 iron. I like the slightly larger blade length and top-line of the MMC 4-iron (greater confidence) compared to the SC. I looked at the Fli-Hi, but I didn't like how thick the sole was. I have MMC bent one-degree weak to gap into the rest of set.

I still play MP33s but have a MMC 5 iron. I like it, but am not sure I'd go further up the bag with the MMC.

Considering SC for PW thru 6i, or some sort of blend with the SCs and MBs.

Question: What's it like hitting the CS in PW thru 8i? I'm not sure I'd want a cavity back PW or 9i. Any reason you didn't go with the MBs in those clubs?

I still play MP33s but have a MMC 5 iron. I like it, but am not sure I'd go further up the bag with the MMC.

Question: What's it like hitting the CS in PW thru 8i? I'm not sure I'd want a cavity back PW or 9i. Any reason you didn't go with the MBs in those clubs?

I love the PW - 8 iron. I have found that the soles are a little wider than normal cavity backs and that gives me great turf interaction. Coming from the MP25s, I have more confidence with the SC's. I was considering going with the blades in these clubs, but I am very happy I went with the SC

I like them. Shape is nice and they are easy to flight down. I stayed with the SC to simply to give myself a consistent look down at address from 5-PW. That said, performance-wise, I don't think there's a big difference between the 8-PW in the MBs.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo