2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Opinions on Dundonald, Gulane, Golf House Club (Elie), Kittocks and Castle?

DandyDon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gullane #1 and Gullane #2 are both great. I have played many rounds on both.

Gullane #1 is also, imho, one of the "must play" group of courses.

Gullane #2 is 80% as good as Gullane #1 but at less than half the price (which has a certain attraction for some people, like me)

BTW, I will also be back in Scotland on a golf trip in June. In fact, I just reserved Dundonald Links today!

I played at Elie a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. Its not long, I don't think there's a par-5 on the course. There are a few holes in the middle of the property that seem similar to one another, but there are also some outstanding holes, especially along the Firth.

With Kittocks and Castle, you should be aware that these aren't "links", meaning they they're not on the sandy dune remnants, they're up above the cliffs. I've never played either, but I've read that the greens on the Castle course are pretty extreme. Neither one is really adjacent to anything else, you might want to review drive times between rounds before making a decision.

Like Parparagain, I'll be back in Scotland in June, playing Gullane 2 and Dundonald, among others. Parpar, we may want to compare notes, maybe meet for a drink if we're there at the same time.

Don’t take this the wrong way but every course you have listed is awful in my opinion, apart from Elie which is first class. I had the absolute worse experience when I played dundonald last year and to a man the pros hated it at the Scottish Open last year. Much better off at a Gruden Bay, Nairn, Dornoch etc. Those courses are just different league to the ones you have mentioned

Don't take this the wrong way but every course you have listed is awful in my opinion, apart from Elie which is first class. I had the absolute worse experience when I played dundonald last year and to a man the pros hated it at the Scottish Open last year. Much better off at a Gruden Bay, Nairn, Dornoch etc. Those courses are just different league to the ones you have mentioned

Given the list, and the notion that these are options for a a second round, I'd guess that none of the courses you suggest are even possible. To the OP, where are you playing? With that info, you might get some better suggestions.

All of the courses were suggested by tour group my buddy booked through (it's strange using a tour operator, I have been planning trips for a dozen years, but its his 50th, so I will roll with it).. We are playing Muirfield, Old Course, Jubilee, Turnberry, KingsBarnes and Troon.

I appreciate all the opinions...

Don't take this the wrong way but every course you have listed is awful in my opinion, apart from Elie which is first class. I had the absolute worse experience when I played dundonald last year and to a man the pros hated it at the Scottish Open last year. Much better off at a Gruden Bay, Nairn, Dornoch etc. Those courses are just different league to the ones you have mentioned

Given the list, and the notion that these are options for a a second round, I'd guess that none of the courses you suggest are even possible. To the OP, where are you playing? With that info, you might get some better suggestions.

and I would love some better suggestions. Thank you.

All of the courses were suggested by tour group my buddy booked through (it's strange using a tour operator, I have been planning trips for a dozen years, but its his 50th, so I will roll with it).. We are playing Muirfield, Old Course, Jubilee, Turnberry, KingsBarnes and Troon.

North Berwick. One of the most fun courses I've ever played. Not too far from Muirfield.

Prestwick. A wedge away from Troon. Worth playing just for the history.

and I would love some better suggestions. Thank you.

Where will you be based? How far are you willing to travel?

Never read a bigger load of tosh in my life but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Never read a bigger load of tosh in my life but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

So you think dundonald and the kittocks are in the same league as Dornoch and cruden Bay? ?

If you think Elie is better than Dundonald you are sadly deluded, your opinion that Dundonald is awful is interesting however I do note that it features way higher than Elie in any list I have seen about courses in Scotland. Your statement about the professionals "hating" Dundonald is also wide of the mark. As for Blind Bay I'd rather play Dundonald every day of the week ahead of it, a fairer links test you will not find.

Dornoch for me is the best course in Britain.

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

Again, for Dandy Don, where are you staying, what are you playing. Its hard to help very much without that info. I agree that Royal Dornoch is my favorite course in the world, but its not near any of the others that DandyDon mentioned, so its probably not an option.

If you think Elie is better than Dundonald you are sadly deluded, your opinion that Dundonald is awful is interesting however I do note that it features way higher than Elie in any list I have seen about courses in Scotland. Your statement about the professionals "hating" Dundonald is also wide of the mark. As for Blind Bay I'd rather play Dundonald every day of the week ahead of it, a fairer links test you will not find.

Dornoch for me is the best course in Britain.

Deluded? Give me a course with great character, history, tradition and views like Elie over modern trash like Dundonald any day. At least the club house at Elie isn’t a portakabin. I know a European Tour pro personally so I know for a fact the level of disdain they held Dundonald in. And if you don’t believe me have a listen to the NoLayingUp podcast from the week after the Scottish Open. The guy who does that and who played in the pro am that week goes into more detail.

I’m interested to note you didn’t try to defend the Kittocks or the universally despised Castle course. Any particular reason for that?

The Castle (stupid greens) and Kittocks should really be avoided on a trip here. Not terrible but nothing great either.

I quite like Dundonald although Western Gailes is better and Glasgow Gailes is also good in that area.

Elie is something different and probably worth a visit but quite expensive for what it is.

Gullane #1 and #2 are great with fantastic turf and greens all year round.

Elie and Dundonald are completely different courses but I like them both myself. I have played Elie maybe 20 times in the Earlsferry open and it is a lot of fun but I wouldn't pay the asking price for a game, I just don't feel it merits about £80 or so.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

I really like Dundonald! :ninja:

You won't find a fairer links than Dundonald. There is a distinct hint of "snob" in the last reply so I decided to ignore it. Elie isn't a patch on Dundonald, all the reviews back that up. As for clubhouse, well watch this space.

Kittocks and Castle courses have great views, but none of them really float my boat if I'm being perfectly honest.

If you take in Dundonald, look at Barassie too. I enjoy that plus as I've said on numerous occasions Troon Portland is a fabulous track.

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

• 2 weeks later...

North Berwick. One of the most fun courses I've ever played. Not too far from Muirfield.

Prestwick. A wedge away from Troon. Worth playing just for the history.

Definitely play N Berwick! Consider playing some of these courses twice in a day. Often it is difficult playing unknown tracks the first time and much more fun the second go around, and most clubs offer a great deal for 36. Wish I played Berwick twice. I am planning Gullane #1 next trip- 36 holes.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

So you think dundonald and the kittocks are in the same league as Dornoch and cruden Bay?

Not being in the same league as Dornoch is not the same as being awful. There are a lot of excellent golf courses that are not in the same leagues as Dornoch.

• 3 months later...

Again, for Dandy Don, where are you staying, what are you playing. Its hard to help very much without that info. I agree that Royal Dornoch is my favorite course in the world, but its not near any of the others that DandyDon mentioned, so its probably not an option.

Thank you for all of the replies, we will be based at Trump Turnberry for the first few nights, and then based at St. Andrews the last few nights

Ditto on North Berwick. I’ve played it multiple times and love playing there. Was not very impressed with Gulane #1. Dunbar is a good course near N. Berwick. Old school course not well marked but a good warm-up/ 2nd rounder.

As for the Troon area courses, Royal Troon is a treat. It’s not flashy but a solid test. I also enjoyed Dundonald. A very fair course that you can score on if hitting it solidly. Glasgow Gailes, it’s next door neighbor is also a good course for 1/2 the money. It’s a good warm up or 2nd round course. Prestwick is fun, played it (and Dundonald) in 35mph gusts.

Ultimately, everyone has their own opinion on courses. I’ve not played one course over there that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy. I’m going back in September for the 5th consecutive year and each trip has been awesome.

Ditto on North Berwick. I’ve played it multiple times and love playing there. Was not very impressed with Gulane #1. Dunbar is a good course near N. Berwick. Old school course not well marked but a good warm-up/ 2nd rounder.

As for the Troon area courses, Royal Troon is a treat. It’s not flashy but a solid test. I also enjoyed Dundonald. A very fair course that you can score on if hitting it solidly. Glasgow Gailes, it’s next door neighbor is also a good course for 1/2 the money. It’s a good warm up or 2nd round course. Prestwick is fun, played it (and Dundonald) in 35mph gusts.

Ultimately, everyone has their own opinion on courses. I’ve not played one course over there that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy. I’m going back in September for the 5th consecutive year and each trip has been awesome.

I have a tee time at North Berwick in July and can't wait! No Old course as it is closed for the Senior Open. Playing as a single and have asked the club to pair me up with a local club member, can anyone who has played as a single with club members share their experiences.

Cheers,

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

without seeing the schedule as is, then its very hard to figure out what would be best.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217