Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

43 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

-shaft weight did impact performance, as well as flex

-if u swing 120 with driver, I recommend trying a shorter than 7 iron build.my one lengths are pw length right now, I really love it. U don’t need the speed, the increased accuracy has been great for me. 
-when swing pw length, no need to go lighter in long irons for faster speed. Again, if ur 120+.  Otherwise, it’s a decent path But matching flex profile with different weight was not easiest. Ymmv. I like 120g or more, tried less, and the launch and spin and dispersion went crazy on full swings. 

-tried all 7 iron, tried progressive, all types of flex. settled now on all x7 wedge shafts at pw length. 5-9 iron. Went with a vokey pw cause who wouldn’t pick that over cobra pw. 

-tried 110 steelfibers. That is a nice build. If super fast swinger, not the best fit probably

Which heads did you use for the PW length build? e.g. my EQ1-NX are 277g head weight (incl. tip weights), yours have to be 290g+?

19 minutes ago, Deepy said:

Which heads did you use for the PW length build? e.g. my EQ1-NX are 277g head weight (incl. tip weights), yours have to be 290g+?

All builds are with 270g cobra forged one length heads, then lead tape to d4 swingweight. So yea 290 or close. 

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

1 hour ago, extrastiff said:

-shaft weight did impact performance, as well as flex

-if u swing 120 with driver, I recommend trying a shorter than 7 iron build.my one lengths are pw length right now, I really love it. U don’t need the speed, the increased accuracy has been great for me. 
-when swing pw length, no need to go lighter in long irons for faster speed. Again, if ur 120+.  Otherwise, it’s a decent path But matching flex profile with different weight was not easiest. Ymmv. I like 120g or more, tried less, and the launch and spin and dispersion went crazy on full swings. 

-tried all 7 iron, tried progressive, all types of flex. settled now on all x7 wedge shafts at pw length. 5-9 iron. Went with a vokey pw cause who wouldn’t pick that over cobra pw. 

-tried 110 steelfibers. That is a nice build. If super fast swinger, not the best fit probably

That's great insight. I am swinging it 125+ on course with driver, but I am definitely going smoother at my irons. Typical 8 iron would be 180-185yrd. You don't find your 5/6 iron go too low? When I had the Edel I used 7 iron length, but was planning on going to 8 or 9 iron length.

The steelfibers were one of the options I was looking at, why would you say not a good fit? Also where have you been purchasing 7 identical iron shafts? I have found it difficult to find dealers who will sell 7 8iron shafts. I've been looking at C-Taper 130X, Modus 130x, Project X 7.0. I'd also love a black shaft if possible.

1 hour ago, jordan_mccomb said:

That's great insight. I am swinging it 125+ on course with driver, but I am definitely going smoother at my irons. Typical 8 iron would be 180-185yrd. You don't find your 5/6 iron go too low? When I had the Edel I used 7 iron length, but was planning on going to 8 or 9 iron length.

The steelfibers were one of the options I was looking at, why would you say not a good fit? Also where have you been purchasing 7 identical iron shafts? I have found it difficult to find dealers who will sell 7 8iron shafts. I've been looking at C-Taper 130X, Modus 130x, Project X 7.0. I'd also love a black shaft if possible.

-not too low at that speed, and finding sweet spot now so ball speeds higher. Going with gi/sgi in 4/5/6 wouldn’t hurt tho. 

- steelfibers not stiff enough depending on tempo. Ur alternatives are way stiffer

-eBay for shafts. Been a year or more since 7 iron shafts so who knows now. 

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

jumping back in with my third or fourth set of sterlings..............they are turning into eye2's for me can't get rid of them and they are fun to play.  Has anyone had any experience with with the eq1 fairway woods?  curious did a search and really didn't find anything.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Today golf courses here finally opened and I was able to hit my EQ1-NX test irons, PW and 5i, and I have to say I didn’t like their feedback at all. For someone playing Mizuno irons for most of his golfing career (~25 years) the Wishons just feel clicky to me. That’s the best I can describe it. A distinct feedback during contact - not like almost no feedback from the Mizunos on a perfect hit - this soft feel. The cobra forged tec were much closer feel wise, so I‘ll be looking further into this direction.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, g-off said:

jumping back in with my third or fourth set of sterlings..............they are turning into eye2's for me can't get rid of them and they are fun to play.  Has anyone had any experience with with the eq1 fairway woods?  curious did a search and really didn't find anything.

I'm playing the EQ1-NX fwys at standard length. Decent model, solid impact. Low cg ball gets up nicely

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

2 hours ago, Deepy said:

Today golf courses here finally opened and I was able to hit my EQ1-NX test irons, PW and 5i, and I have to say I didn’t like their feedback at all. For someone playing Mizuno irons for most of his golfing career (~25 years) the Wishons just feel clicky to me. That’s the best I can describe it. A distinct feedback during contact - not like almost no feedback from the Mizunos on a perfect hit - this soft feel. The cobra forged tec were much closer feel wise, so I‘ll be looking further into this direction.

The beauty of the EQ1-NX are the SL to 8 irons specs, the low offset and forgivness. They are in no way comparable in feel to a forged mizzy since they are a large - hollow 431 stainless design, they are not expected to be attractive to blade players. But if you can make the SL system work for you they get more and more gorgeous!

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

15 hours ago, Deepy said:

The “forged” feeling single length offerings are slim to none these days. Been like 5 years since cobra released Bryson’s, forged tec is the next closest feel. 

hit me up if u don’t have any luck, I have a spare set of forged heads laying around I could scrounge up if you can’t find anyone else with some 

13 hours ago, TKS said:

I'm playing the EQ1-NX fwys at standard length. Decent model, solid impact. Low cg ball gets up nicely

The idea of a GI/SGI single length set at PW length is starting to sound nice. 

Easy launch, low spin, short length. Put some mmt wedge shafts, maybe s+ flex.  . . Might be a cheater set right there

On 2/22/2021 at 2:34 PM, Deepy said:

Now wait a minute, you're telling me that a forged club feels/sounds better than a large hollow iron made of 431 stainless? 😉

• Like 3

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

7 hours ago, BreezyBrett20 said:

Looking to pick up a set of cobras to try, perhaps dumb question but if I shorten the shafts of all of the irons by 1/4 inch will it mess the swing weights up?

if you lower them all by the same amount, the swing weights will still match each other club in the set however it will be a slightly lower swing weight to what they were previously. could always add lead tape to the heads if you find the lower swing weight an issue

15 hours ago, BreezyBrett20 said:

Looking to pick up a set of cobras to try, perhaps dumb question but if I shorten the shafts of all of the irons by 1/4 inch will it mess the swing weights up?

1 long strip of lead tape (2 grams approx)per club to offset the change in length

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, boggyman said:

Possibly a new Tour OL coming??  Credits to  @fullyequipedgolf. 

E6F1DBC5-E123-4422-A03E-3BB9A591475F.jpeg

I’ll believe it when it’s released. Bryson is crushing it with his current set so dunno why he would change but u never know. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 2:07 PM, extrastiff said:

Question for the people following this thread. What would happen if Bryson use nine iron length instead of 7-iron length? At his swing speed, I would think he should have better dispersion and still decent gapping. His 6 iron can go over 230 average, and driver 330 average, so seems like plenty of room to mess with shorter, stiffer, easier to swing irons. 

Pretty sure bryson plays at 6 iron length (37.5") not 7 iron length. I doubt he would lose much clubhead speed going shorter but at the same time he's a pretty tall guy and stands very upright so maybe that's what position he feels most comfortable by swinging 6 iron length.  With single length I think it's way more important to fit length based off comfort at address and dynamics of the swing vs chasing minor increases in clubhead speed with length of club. For me I didn't have any difference in distance or dispersion between 37 and 36.5 lengths but I felt most comfortable at 37 so went with that.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 10:03 AM, jordan_mccomb said:

Would love to get this thread back up and going.

I have heard different thoughts regarding using all ~7iron length shafts or using a progressive set trimmed to ~7iron length.

I played Edel SLS01 with the Paderson X flex short iron profile (95g) in all of my irons, but found the long irons launched slightly low for my liking. I mistakenly sold them, when I should have just tried some new shafts. They were great clubs, but I did get almost my full value back. Still regret it though. I have a set of Wishon Sterling irons right now that I'm looking to get shafted up and would love some insight. I'm going to try to head to my local fitter to experiment, but it's not easy without demo long iron heads.

I would like to hear from fast swing speed players ideally (120+ driver). Here are my main two questions:

• Have you tried both progressive irons cut down and all 7 iron shafts? If so what differences did you notice
  • Shaft weight. I played 95g Paderson shafts which I actually liked even though I'm playing 130g X100 in my regular set now. I think a 110-115 g would be optimal. How has shaft weight effected performance for you?
  • Has anyone tried going 7-PW in a heavier shaft and 4-6 in a lighter shaft? I know it is common for tour players to play their 3/4 sometimes 5 iron with a lighter, usually graphite shaft.

Thanks

I think I fit your criteria fairly well. I swing driver between 120-125 mph typically and have played sterlings 5-lw basically since they released.  I also hit the 5 iron lower than I want.  I have a gc2 launch monitor so have done a bunch of testing also I'm a scratch golfer and have played in high school and college so been around the game a long time. 

Anyways when I compared my sterling 5 iron @ 24 degrees vs a srixon zx5 5 iron at the same loft, both clubs had basically the same peak height. So the low launch issue for me isn't exclusive to single length I also see it in conventional length even though I was swinging conventional length about 4 mph faster than my 37" sterling. Looking at trackman pga numbers it looks like even tour pros have a decent drop in peak height at their lowest iron typically 4 or 5 iron depending the player so I think it's pretty normal.  I tried different shafts in the sterlings and honestly saw virtually no difference in launch even trying something as light and soft as a 50 gram ladies shaft compared to my X flex gamer shaft so personally I don't think shaft changes are going to make a big enough difference in launch to be worth it.  You're better off keeping the same feel between every club imo.  What I've done recently that's helped is weaken my irons (5-pw) by 2 degrees so 5 iron is now 25 deg.  That's brought my launch up to a better window and helped with gapping throughout the set.  That helped shorten the distance gaps in my wedges down to 13 yards instead or 16-18 that I had previously. 

On 2/24/2021 at 12:56 AM, TKS said:

Now wait a minute, you're telling me that a forged club feels/sounds better than a large hollow iron made of 431 stainless? 😉

Update: I have to admit that after some further testing it’s not the Wishon heads that I didn’t like - it’s the Jumbomax grips!

Wishon heads with my regular grips (GP Multi compound +4) feels fine. Wishon heads (not only these) with Jumbomax Ultralites (I tried S up to XL) feels really numb.

btw. I tend to like the Jumbomaxs more on graphite shafts (3w/1W).

I know what you mean. Having tried the JMax Ultralight grips on steel, l find them to allow a little more shock to the hands, however, I continue to have yip- killing performance from them on my chipping with the SW/LW clubs. But for me the GP CP2 blues are best on the market for full swings. IMHO.

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

1 hour ago, TKS said:

I know what you mean. Having tried the JMax Ultralight grips on steel, l find them to allow a little more shock to the hands, however, I continue to have yip- killing performance from them on my chipping with the SW/LW clubs. But for me the GP CP2 blues are best on the market for full swings. IMHO.

Good players can make any grip “the best,” all have their pros and cons imo.   I like jumbomax cause they help carpal tunnel and I swing 130, and holding onto thin grips was way harder at these speeds. 
cp2 great also

19 hours ago, Truok said:

Pretty sure bryson plays at 6 iron length (37.5") not 7 iron length. I doubt he would lose much clubhead speed going shorter but at the same time he's a pretty tall guy and stands very upright so maybe that's what position he feels most comfortable by swinging 6 iron length.  With single length I think it's way more important to fit length based off comfort at address and dynamics of the swing vs chasing minor increases in clubhead speed with length of club. For me I didn't have any difference in distance or dispersion between 37 and 36.5 lengths but I felt most comfortable at 37 so went with that.  

Yea Bryson is 37.5 which for a lot of cobra sets that is 7 iron but u are correct most 7 irons are shorter. But the validity of my point doesn’t really depend on that Imo. 

since I wrote that post you quoted, I have gone far down the rabbit hole, here is what I found 

-through research and trying 7 iron/8 iron length personally, a lot (if not majority) players felt they had tighter dispersion with their wedges than the did with their 7 iron, significantly so. Research also indicated that their pitching wedge “pretty much” was as tight dispersion as their sand wedge. So my theory was go pitching wedge, since I am 6’3 and any shorter felt goofy swinging hard.  

-it was great.

-Dispersion tightened. I had a better time finding center face, ball speeds increased. But it felt a little weird swinging a wedge with speed.Like u said, Bryson is 6’1, so he might feel similarly. 

-I went to 9 iron length, maybe slightly longer. It is money. I grip Down to pitching wedge length for knock downs. I no longer feel hunched over, and dispersion stayed similar to pitching wedge. I am improving, so I could prob swing 6 iron length more capably now. But why? I don’t need the speed, and I’m gaining shots, especially in the long irons

-so now I just need to reach out to cobra/Bryson and ask, cause I’m more curious than ever his numbers with both. 

- i think a player who is 5 foot 9, and can swing 110 plus with driver, should really consider wedge length (maybe even gap wedge length) one length. Radspeed/sgi to insure distances/ball speeds stay up. Miss-hitting a wedge will result in a really short shot, even if the club is 5 iron loft. So you want the radspeed for that imo. I do at least, and I’m swinging fast already. 

Edited by extrastiff

19 hours ago, Truok said:

I think I fit your criteria fairly well. I swing driver between 120-125 mph typically and have played sterlings 5-lw basically since they released.  I also hit the 5 iron lower than I want.  I have a gc2 launch monitor so have done a bunch of testing also I'm a scratch golfer and have played in high school and college so been around the game a long time. 

Anyways when I compared my sterling 5 iron @ 24 degrees vs a srixon zx5 5 iron at the same loft, both clubs had basically the same peak height. So the low launch issue for me isn't exclusive to single length I also see it in conventional length even though I was swinging conventional length about 4 mph faster than my 37" sterling. Looking at trackman pga numbers it looks like even tour pros have a decent drop in peak height at their lowest iron typically 4 or 5 iron depending the player so I think it's pretty normal.  I tried different shafts in the sterlings and honestly saw virtually no difference in launch even trying something as light and soft as a 50 gram ladies shaft compared to my X flex gamer shaft so personally I don't think shaft changes are going to make a big enough difference in launch to be worth it.  You're better off keeping the same feel between every club imo.  What I've done recently that's helped is weaken my irons (5-pw) by 2 degrees so 5 iron is now 25 deg.  That's brought my launch up to a better window and helped with gapping throughout the set.  That helped shorten the distance gaps in my wedges down to 13 yards instead or 16-18 that I had previously. 

I would like to see another player of our speeds hit radspeed/one length 5 iron at pitching wedge/9 iron length. And you are scratch?Let’s make those videos happen!

Edited by extrastiff

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, boggyman said:

Possibly a new Tour OL coming??  Credits to  @fullyequipedgolf. 

E6F1DBC5-E123-4422-A03E-3BB9A591475F.jpeg

I would be interested in trying cobra one length if they released a version where all the shafts are the same and the lie angles are the same. That's the only reason I haven't tried theirs because I don't want different weight shafts and different lie angles I want them all the same. Dechambeaus are all the same lie angle so I don't get why they decided to go the route they did with the varying lies and weights with all their newer models 

1 hour ago, Truok said:

I would be interested in trying cobra one length if they released a version where all the shafts are the same and the lie angles are the same. That's the only reason I haven't tried theirs because I don't want different weight shafts and different lie angles I want them all the same. Dechambeaus are all the same lie angle so I don't get why they decided to go the route they did with the varying lies and weights with all their newer models 

Their custom department is great. I’m sure they can fit your request.

4 hours ago, Truok said:

Because their new models are for people that are not as good as Bryson , so to speak. The lie angles and weight are supposed to help achieve optimal launch. 

After years of testing one length, I’d say it’s definitely an inexact science

Edited by extrastiff

1 hour ago, dekez said:

Is there anyone who sell EQ1-NX heads only? I'd like to build a few irons myself to demo before committing to a full set.

Just buy a cheap club head.and build.it to the length you like...a friend did this for me.with sn old Ram PW...yes...it felt like a sledge hammer, but it took me about 3 swings to figure out I liked the concept.  Yes the SW will be Off, blah blah blah...but you ngsr the idea really quickly. 

• Like 2