2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

8 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Modern doesnt do putter fittings

I looked at Modern yesterday in respect of the question asked.  They do mention putter fitting ($100) but Edel isn't one of their listed brands.  If I were the OP and heart-set on Edel I would phone Edel to confirm they have no seller here. I've seen it in the past where US company search engines forget about us. 

If I was doing a local putter fitting, even just to confirm the length and toe hang and lie that was best for me,  I'd want to go to either the Performance Putting Studio at Morgan Creek or Lincoln Li at Tru Fit Golf in Richmond. I've used both.  Lincoln specializes  in Evnroll and Seemore lines but he adjusted weights on my Scotty approipriate for my stroke, adjusted the lie on another putter  and has done other club work for me.

I've heard good things from two golfers I know well about Rob Houlding Academy in Richmond too and they do putter fittings. per the website. Those comments were related though to shaft fittings by Andrew Jeffers, not putters. Andrew fit me into my Miuras ten years ago and steelfibers in them and my wedges when he was at Golf Tec in NVan and I'm still playing the same Miuras.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, myspinonit said:

I looked at Modern yesterday in respect of the question asked.  They do mention putter fitting ($100) but Edel isn't one of their listed brands.  If I were the OP and heart-set on Edel I would phone Edel to confirm they have no seller here. I've seen it in the past where US company search engines forget about us. 

If I was doing a local putter fitting, even just to confirm the length and toe hang and lie that was best for me,  I'd want to go to either the Performance Putting Studio at Morgan Creek or Lincoln Li at Tru Fit Golf in Richmond. I've used both.  Lincoln specializes  in Evnroll and Seemore lines but he adjusted weights on my Scotty approipriate for my stroke, adjusted the lie on another putter  and has done other club work for me.

I've heard good things from two golfers I know well about Rob Houlding Academy in Richmond too and they do putter fittings. per the website. Those comments were related though to shaft fittings by Andrew Jeffers, not putters. Andrew fit me into my Miuras ten years ago and steelfibers in them and my wedges when he was at Golf Tec in NVan and I'm still playing the same Miuras.

I did a full bag fit at modern in Richmond and there version of a putter fitting was handing me a handful of putters and telling me to roll some putts and choose  what one I liked the best.. 

I have never had a fitting at Morgan I did work with Scott last year and I was extremely happy with his work.. I wouldnt hesitate to send anyone over there

I plan to see him again this year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

I did a full bag fit at modern in Richmond and there version of a putter fitting was handing me a handful of putters and telling me to roll some putts and choose  what one I liked the best.. 

I have never had a fitting at Morgan I did work with Scott last year and I was extremely happy with his work.. I wouldnt hesitate to send anyone over there

I plan to see him again this year 

Wow...I just did a search on my Google Calendar and I saw Scott Rodgers at Morgan Creek way back in Sept 2017!  Some pretty high tech testing tools.  He got me playing putters since then are one inch shorter that I had been using, his computer set up let me see that I was NOT a straight back/thru putter and helped my aim-point. One lesson.

One thing about there is they had (still have presumably) a good relationship with GolfTown in Surrey.  If you find  a putter at GT that you think might suit you, he said they could get GT to lend it to them for you to test  at their facility.  I kinda sorta did that.  After my lesson I went over to that GT.  I ended up the liking the  Scotty Cameron mid-mallet at GT that I already had tried at the Saunders/Rodgers facility that day and went back and bought it from Scott. I made the mistake of selling that putter, but I bought a similar toe hang Scotty in late 2019 that I've been happy with mostly since (tweaked with weights by Lincoln Li last year).

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

One thing about there is they had (still have presumably) a good relationship with GolfTown in Surrey.  If you find  a putter at GT that you think might suit you, he said they could get GT to lend it to them for you to test  at their facility.  I kinda sorta did that.  After my lesson I went over to that GT.  I ended up the liking the  Scotty Camereon mid-mallet at GT that I already had tried at the Saunders/Rodgers facility that day and went back and bought it from Scott. I made the mistake of selling that putter, but I bought a similar toe hang Scotty in late 2019 that I've been happy with mostly since (tweaked with weights by Lincoln Li last year).

Interesting I didn't know they had that with golf town.. 

How did u like working with Scott.. I have heard some didn't gel well with his style.. I preferred his no bs style.. 

He does like to talk lol.. Plenty of good info if u take it all in 

I would like to have him look at my current putter this year  on the quintic to see if it needs any tweeks... He said it looked good on the green. He wasn't a fan of my superstroke grip though 

29 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Interesting I didn't know they had that with golf town.. 

How did u like working with Scott.. I have heard some didn't gel well with his style.. I preferred his no bs style.. 

He does like to talk lol.. Plenty of good info if u take it all in 

I would like to have him look at my current putter this year  on the quintic to see if it needs any tweeks... He said it looked good on the green. He wasn't a fan of my superstroke grip though 

I think he was ok, but it was 3 1/2 years ago...of course he made a big deal of how they saved Hadwin's putting.  One surprise was a longer (mid??) putter in his shop that he said might work for me, they "could easily cut it down". The surprise was no discussion on swingweight or balance changes to that option. I think that was just before he gave me the "try GolfTown in stock and let him know option".   He encouraged me to come back for another lesson but I didn't. Maybe that says something.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 1:09 PM, Shushwap said:

He does like to talk lol..

Scott Rodgers in 2012 was the one who gave Lydia Ko a baseball type swing type in a pre shot routine because she was getting fatigued with all the travel.

Scott was at Meadow Gardens at the time....I don't think he had any ties to VGC where the CWO was played.....so I was curious how the 2 would have met.

I saw Scott at the range just before my tee time at Morgan Creek a few years ago.

I had a quick chat with him....I know it was a brief encounter...but he gave me the impression as being a bit aloof.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KBong said:

Where is Andrew now?...at Houlding?

Last I heard he was at Eaglequest in Coquitlam. Solid guy

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

35 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

Last I heard he was at Eaglequest in Coquitlam. Solid guy

Jeffers was at Houlding a year or two ago when the  two guys in my golf group saw him for shaft fitting. 

He is at Eaglecrest as an instructor according to their website.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KBong said:

spacer.png

It's free to sign up to my Covid era West Coast Golf Group boycott.🤣

Haha I'm with you.  But sadly these days if we want to golf at all it means playing wherever we can get a tee time that works - even though I'd rather not support them.

People won't forget the courses that used COVID as an opportunity to gouge their customers, if things ever mellow out a bit.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Phireside said:

The MC gift card deal is on now for those interested. $125 for $100. No need to go through the golf expo site.

I was planning on making a run down when the weather warms up to play mc as I never have... I lived down there when the course was built.. 

Kinda funny as I remember the area being so new and shiny back in the day.. I was out there last year for the putting academy and it all looked so old 

Thanx for the heads up I will grab a few 

20 hours ago, BdaGolfer said:

Hi all,

I will be staying on the Island for a few days in March after a business trip to Vancouver, so can't bring clubs. Are there any courses within a drive of Victoria that have (decent) club rentals? 

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,  No one has chimed in yet (hope they do) but that partly might mean folks around here would have their own clubs travelling to Vancouver Island from here. 

Conditions could be very wet in March (or great),  and if you want to play, I suggest just getting a time for your planning might be preferential over concern over the clubs. I don't know the public  courses there.  But  your biggest challenge might be arranging  a tee-time or some assurance in advance you will be able to play as a single. Tee-times I suspect still may be tight even as a two-plus  if they are the same as Vancouver area.   Moreso if your dates fall into Spring Break from school that goes from March 19 to April 4 .

Bottom liine: I suggest you do internet search for possible public  courses to play and get on the phone to see if you can plan on getting on and renting some set. 

Northview-how is the Canal course right now? I have never played Northview.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

17 hours ago, Break68 said:

Northview-how is the Canal course right now? I have never played Northview.

Both the Ridge and the Canal are closed this week, re-opening on March 7th.

They are both decent courses, and usually in pretty good condition. I prefer the Ridge to the Canal but both are worth playing at least once.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

9 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

Both the Ridge and the Canal are closed this week, re-opening on March 7th.

They are both decent courses, and usually in pretty good condition. I prefer the Ridge to the Canal but both are worth playing at least once.

I find the Canal ok. If you play the Ridge, hopefully do so with someone who knows the course.  I only played it  a couple of times but got frustrated with blind shots.  I had too many shots  that I thought were going to be fine but were not.  If I  had taken a power cart and driven ahead for a look-see it might have been ok.

42 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

I find the Canal ok. If you play the Ridge, hopefully do so with someone who knows the course.  I only played it  a couple of times but got frustrated with blind shots.  I had too many shots  that I thought were going to be fine but were not.  If I  had taken a power cart and driven ahead for a look-see it might have been ok.

I think the Ridge is pretty straight forward with everything in sight except for maybe the 2nd shot on #4 and the drive on #17.

4 hours ago, KBong said:

I think the Ridge is pretty straight forward with everything in sight except for maybe the 2nd shot on #4 and the drive on #17.

Yeah, probably just me. Most of them are forgotten. First  time I played it...that was the recent year they were doing all the work with fences etc.-we teed off on Ten.   On the signature finishing hole in front of the clubhouse (our 9th),  I  guessed what to hit for my second for safety,  ended up exactly 100 yards from the pin. After some self-congratulation I then proceeded to somehow dump three in the water.  Maybe that's why the rest is  a blur. 🙄

On the other hand, the previous year when our group played the Canal, I won the KP by putting it less than 2 feet to  a back right pin against the wind on 17.  My few attempts there since have been shall we say, a bit less stellar. 😒

7 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

Yeah, probably just me. Most of them are forgotten. First  time I played it...that was the recent year they were doing all the work with fences etc.-we teed off on Ten.   On the signature finishing hole in front of the clubhouse (our 9th),  I  guessed what to hit for my second for safety,  ended up exactly 100 yards from the pin. After some self-congratulation I then proceeded to somehow dump three in the water.  Maybe that's why the rest is  a blur. 🙄

On the other hand, the previous year when our group played the Canal, I won the KP by putting it less than 2 feet to  a back right pin against the wind on 17.  My few attempts there since have been shall we say, a bit less stellar. 😒

The Ridge 18 is an interesting one.

Depending what tees are played and how well ya hit your drive...it can be tempting to go for the green in 2.

If having a good scoring rd...it's wise to bail out and make it a 3 shot hole onto the green.

The Canal can be quite boring.

Yes, 17 can kill a rd if scoring well up to that point.

I've probably played the Ridge & Canal maybe 6-8 times each over the decades...but don't frequent Northview much cause I think it lacks value.

I haven't played it since the cart part reno's

I think The Ridge is one of the best layouts in Vancouver.  I love that the par 5s are reachable with 2 good shots, risk/reward par 4 at #8, beautiful par 3s (except for #9).  Good, tough par 4s.  Straightforward but actually punishes poor shots with well placed hazards/water/bunkers.  It has a ton of "par 4.5s" and I really enjoy that. We always have great matches there because they can swing so fast and easily.  

Canal is fun when it's playing firm and fast with a little wind.  When it's soft, wet, and covered in goose droppings I find it pretty uninspired until the 16-17-18 stretch.  

All of that said, Northview as a business is a disgrace.  Awful policies.  Rude staff.  Useless marshalls.  Even checking in there prior to a round is a chore.  $125/round in the summer and I still need to pay $15 for 50 range balls? GTFO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there anywhere in the Vancouver/GVRD that has a chipping/practice area that's actually open? Ideally with a practice bunker and the ability to hit proper chip shots. Willing to drive a little bit.