2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

9 hours ago, Shushwap said:

It must be like summer for u all this week.. Getting real tired of the snow and playing sim golf 

Thought I'd be a nice guy AND RUB IT IN YOUR FACE.🤣

Couldn't find a tee time this past weekend...only a single at Langara on Sat....it was a bit mucky...as usual.

$30.25 + tax

Played with a 13 year old Chinese kid....107 mph SS....powerful high draw drives....quiet & humble...mom was pushing his cart...I did a Google later that night....he's won in BC & the US....he never said anything.

Played free muni pitch & putt with a friend yesterday to goof around....it's closed in winter...but a ton of people sneak on.

Went to hit range afterwards to hit a few golf balls.

Did plan on playing until the weekend.

BUT

This morning...I saw a cancellation....2some at twilight at Burnaby...it's so rare to find these tee times...for $28 inc'd tax...why not.😂

Gonna turn 61 soon...but senior rates don't kick in until 65.

Didn't you tell me it's a RIPOFF playing golf in Kelowna.😂

Course was fairly dry...greens were so fast and smooth....except for the goofs that don't repair their ball marks...same goes for the many unrepaired divots....but this is standard for public golf.

I'll try to refrain and wait til this weekend to golf again...it will be near impossible to find a tee time....just have to watch out for cancellations.

Oh ya....my friend has a really nice sim/screen golf setup with a GC2...he plays a lot against guys all over the world.

I don't care much for screen golf....I can play anytime I want...but don't....he invites me many times.🤣

DO YOU FEEL BETTER NOW.🤣

• Haha 1

I'm just glad someone is able to get out and enjoy the weather..the warm weather we had yesterday has the grass starting to peek through a little.. We were playing mid March here last year.. Hopefully that's the case again 

Sounds like the golf boom is still in full swing if u are having trouble getting Tee times 

Hopefully the border opens up and the dam tourists go somewhere else this summer to play golf 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I'm just glad someone is able to get out and enjoy the weather..the warm weather we had yesterday has the grass starting to peek through a little.. We were playing mid March here last year.. Hopefully that's the case again 

Sounds like the golf boom is still in full swing if u are having trouble getting Tee times 

Hopefully the border opens up and the dam tourists go somewhere else this summer to play golf 

The guy I golfed with yesterday just bought a place across the border near Sumas....he skis and will golf with his friends there.

He's invited me to go down for golfing.

But....I won't cross the border until all restrictions are lifted.

1 hour ago, KBong said:

The guy I golfed with yesterday just bought a place across the border near Sumas....he skis and will golf with his friends there.

He's invited me to go down for golfing.

But....I won't cross the border until all restrictions are lifted.

You and me both on the restrictions... I think they will be gone by summer.. I ran out to my local course today as I had to grab a few things from the shack out back... There is a lot of snow out there !!!!

We need some warm weather to get rid of it before mid march

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, KBong said:

Thought I'd be a nice guy AND RUB IT IN YOUR FACE.🤣

Couldn't find a tee time this past weekend...only a single at Langara on Sat....it was a bit mucky...as usual.

$30.25 + tax

Played with a 13 year old Chinese kid....107 mph SS....powerful high draw drives....quiet & humble...mom was pushing his cart...I did a Google later that night....he's won in BC & the US....he never said anything.

Played free muni pitch & putt with a friend yesterday to goof around....it's closed in winter...but a ton of people sneak on.

Went to hit range afterwards to hit a few golf balls.

Did plan on playing until the weekend.

BUT

This morning...I saw a cancellation....2some at twilight at Burnaby...it's so rare to find these tee times...for $28 inc'd tax...why not.😂

Gonna turn 61 soon...but senior rates don't kick in until 65.

Didn't you tell me it's a RIPOFF playing golf in Kelowna.😂

Course was fairly dry...greens were so fast and smooth....except for the goofs that don't repair their ball marks...same goes for the many unrepaired divots....but this is standard for public golf.

I'll try to refrain and wait til this weekend to golf again...it will be near impossible to find a tee time....just have to watch out for cancellations.

Oh ya....my friend has a really nice sim/screen golf setup with a GC2...he plays a lot against guys all over the world.

I don't care much for screen golf....I can play anytime I want...but don't....he invites me many times.🤣

DO YOU FEEL BETTER NOW.🤣

Was it this kid?  https://globalnews.ca/video/5743455/pint-sized-golfer-from-b-c-is-a-world-champion 

I got paired up with him last year at Green Acres when I just went out as a single after work one day, and he is ridiculous. He was out with his mom and coach just scouting the course for one of those junior tournaments that he was going in there. They were talking strategy on each hole, etc. and his coach was a super nice guy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bb123 said:

Was it this kid?  https://globalnews.ca/video/5743455/pint-sized-golfer-from-b-c-is-a-world-champion 

I got paired up with him last year at Green Acres when I just went out as a single after work one day, and he is ridiculous. He was out with his mom and coach just scouting the course for one of those junior tournaments that he was going in there. They were talking strategy on each hole, etc. and his coach was a super nice guy.  

Yes.

He's a past??? junior member at Beach Grove and Quilchina....I don't know why he was slumming it at Langara.

I know it's only a casual game.....he didn't putt well that day....he

didn't make 1 birdie putt.

It's a shame he doesn't have many/any to golf with....he's an only child, parents nor his friends golf.

He was ballooning drives at times....he had a stock Hzd Green 6.0 60 gm shaft....I don't know if his Cally head was low spin....he had the 9* head at 8*.

I suggested a heavier shaft & stiffer shaft to try out.

He told me he's not currently seeing a coach....he previously was at Houlding's Academy with a coach there.

Played swan e with a friend who is a member. I've never gotten on well with those courses. today was no exception. I'm in dire need of range time.

Also they have new bridge issue. Links course, bridge to 11 back tee boxes is closed. Sounds like it buckled up during the floods when the water rose.

Edited by Phireside

9 hours ago, Phireside said:

Played swan e with a friend who is a member. I've never gotten on well with those courses. today was no exception. I'm in dire need of range time.

Also they have new bridge issue. Links course, bridge to 11 back tee boxes is closed. Sounds like it buckled up during the floods when the water rose.

How wet is the course?....how were the greens?

So is the links #1 bridge fixed yet?

How is your friend feeling about the price jack to $4500 w/ 120 rd limit?

I've been on a WCGG boycott since 2020.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBong said:

How wet is the course?....how were the greens?

So is the links #1 bridge fixed yet?

How is your friend feeling about the price jack to $4500 w/ 120 rd limit?

I've been on a WCGG boycott since 2020.

The course itself was not too bad. sure there were areas more muddy than other but I don't recall any moment of putting my foot down and then groaning about my shoe be covered in mud. Plenty of patchy areas around greens but I think that's normal for even peak summer conditions for them. 

Apparently there is no such thing as a frost delay there. we went out on very frosty greens for about 5 holes until it melted off. No one that plays there seems to own a pitch repair tool or even a tee. Like putting on the surface of the moon. 

1 bridge is fixed, but now they have the issue on 11.

Buddy said they re-upped him at $4200 but didn't say anything about round limit. Not sure he'd get to 120 anyway.

The only reason I play there is so I can see this friend of mine otherwise we'd not see each other at all.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phireside said:

The course itself was not too bad. sure there were areas more muddy than other but I don't recall any moment of putting my foot down and then groaning about my shoe be covered in mud. Plenty of patchy areas around greens but I think that's normal for even peak summer conditions for them. 

Apparently there is no such thing as a frost delay there. we went out on very frosty greens for about 5 holes until it melted off. No one that plays there seems to own a pitch repair tool or even a tee. Like putting on the surface of the moon. 

1 bridge is fixed, but now they have the issue on 11.

Buddy said they re-upped him at $4200 but didn't say anything about round limit. Not sure he'd get to 120 anyway.

The only reason I play there is so I can see this friend of mine otherwise we'd not see each other at all.

LMAO.....$70 to play with 5 frozen greens.

WCGG...all they care about is $....otherwise it would be a course closure or reduced temp green rates.

The greens must be lousy if WCGG allows golfers walking on frozen greens.

I've golfed over 5 decades...let's face it...90% of public golfers don't give a s*** about repairing ball marks, divots, raking bunkers and PoP.

I can't recall being paired up ....and others saying we need to play fasters....I have said many times to our groups we need to keep up with the group ahead.

I played Burnaby on Fri...by the 3rd hole....I told the 3 guys we need to keep pace.....they continued to play slowly.

On #10....we we're 1.25 holes behind.

Burnaby has marshals...but they are useless....mainly stick around the holes near the pro shop....drive around and mark down PoP #'s on a clipboard.

I've maybe met 5-10 marshals in my life that were effective.

@KBong Well the good news is that I paid the guest rate of $58. The more I play other courses, the more I appreciate MC. Say what you will about the price gouging, but at least you are getting a phenomenally manicured course, great staff, and pace of play. I'm lucky that we are diligent enough to usually get tee times that we want. 

The only other places that I've played the last couple of years that stack up are Kings and Riverway. FWIW, Riverway has easily been best bang for buck the last couple years IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

@KBong Well the good news is that I paid the guest rate of $58. The more I play other courses, the more I appreciate MC. Say what you will about the price gouging, but at least you are getting a phenomenally manicured course, great staff, and pace of play. I'm lucky that we are diligent enough to usually get tee times that we want. 

The only other places that I've played the last couple of years that stack up are Kings and Riverway. FWIW, Riverway has easily been best bang for buck the last couple years IMO.

Riverway is a great bang for the buck and well-managed.

I think Id have an easier time getting onto Augusta National than playing Riverway on a Saturday.   

For the value play I like Fraserview the best.  For whatever reason we seem to do ok getting tee times there. 

BM is fun and great value but the pace there is consistently the worst I've ever seen.  So many times we tee off 4.5h before sunset and still only get 15 holes in.

I haven't played Kings since covid became a thing.  I should get back out there. 

18 hours ago, Phireside said:

Relative to the other local options, Morgan is priced fine. 

Can the public still play Kings Links?

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

4 hours ago, The Beav said:

For the value play I like Fraserview the best.  For whatever reason we seem to do ok getting tee times there. 

The 3 Vanc muni's provide good value in the winter (rates) but for value....the Burnaby courses IMO provide more bang for your dollar because they are drier.

I was very impressed with the conditions at McCleery 3 weeks ago....don't know if the conditions are still holding up???

The advanced booking fee at Fraserview has been reduced to $5....generally speaking...many are paying the $5 at all 3 courses about 10-14 days in advance.

I think the fees in the summer at the Burnaby courses are cheaper than the Vanc muni's???

40 minutes ago, Break68 said:

Can the public still play Kings Links?

I just called.

Their website is now under construction....you need to type out the URL...ya can't find it with a Google.

Current process is public play called in by phone up to 2 days in advance...no pre-pay.

In 2 weeks....the new website...new process is booking on-line public play...starting 7 days in advance....all pre-pay.

Public play is available 7 days a week.

Their annual passes have been sold out for quite some time....capped off at approx 200 members???

Edited by KBong

4 minutes ago, KBong said:

I just called.

Their website is now under construction....you need to type out the URL...ya can't find it with a Google.

Current process is public play called in by phone up to 2 days in advance...no pre-pay.

In 2 weeks....the new website...new process is booking on-line public play...starting 7 days in advance....all pre-pay.

Public play is available 7 days a week.

Their annual passes have been sold out for quite some time....capped off at approx 200 members???

Pre-pay seems a bit insane. I like the course, but I have always found the owners management style very weird.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

26 minutes ago, Break68 said:

Pre-pay seems a bit insane. I like the course, but I have always found the owners management style very weird.

With crazy Covid golf demands.....many course have switched to pre-pay....yes...it's a pain went some cancels in your group or you need to cancel outright.

BUT

If one is unhappy....courses kinda don't care because there's another 100+ players that want to play that day at many of the courses.

The Hardwood guy(s) can and will do as they please...they should have had an on-line system years ago.

Pre-Covid...they closed in the winter...but that's their decision.

IMO...in a way....it was kinda an "ego" buy for the owner(s).

I know many love Kings....I don't care for it because for me it's a pain to drive there...I find it a bit boring and I HATE the wind.🤣

6 hours ago, KBong said:

It's winter and on nice days...it's near impossible to find tee times....especially a 4some.

My friend thinks things will get better by the summer...I disagree....I think things will be worse in the summer to find tee times.

That's right keep talking about winter golf when I'm still in the snow lol 

Was supposed to fly to Phoenix on Friday....managed to get lucky and get covid last week.. I won't be making the trip south now... 

I agree golf is going to be as busy this year as it has been the last few years.. I Think we're looking at a few more years of this before things slow down... 

A big driver of golf in the states is so many are working mobile now.. They can sneek out on a Tuesday and play.. 

I played with a couple last year that worked mobile.. No kids and they roared around the country playing golf... 

She worked for a large oil firm out of Texas and he was in natural gas 

They had rented a place for the summer in the Okanagan 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

That's right keep talking about winter golf when I'm still in the snow lol

Was supposed to fly to Phoenix on Friday....managed to get lucky and get covid last week.. I won't be making the trip south now... 

11*C this past weekend here....couldn't find a tee time at the courses we wanted to play.

Get well.

My friend's family caught Covid at Xmas....likely kids brought it home from school.

My friend has a Covid rash on the inside of his elbows.

16 minutes ago, KBong said:

11*C this past weekend here....couldn't find a tee time at the courses we wanted to play.

Get well.

My friend's family caught Covid at Xmas....likely kids brought it home from school.

My friend has a Covid rash on the inside of his elbows.

I was just looking online today and it seems that the osoyoos area is starting to open next week... I may have to make a run that way in a few weeks

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

I was just looking online today and it seems that the osoyoos area is starting to open next week... I may have to make a run that way in a few weeks

I thought it was further for you.....250 km rd trip...that's kinda ok.

WTH...gas at $1.809 here....supposed to get to $2.00 by the end of the month???

I'm gonna take up pickleball and find somewhere to play where I can walk or take the bus.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KBong said:

I thought it was further for you.....250 km rd trip...that's kinda ok.

WTH...gas at $1.809 here....supposed to get to $2.00 by the end of the month???

I'm gonna take up pickleball and find somewhere to play where I can walk or take the bus.

I hear ya... Trying to figure out how I can strap my clubs onto a Ebike LOL

The cost of golf and fuel is getting out of touch for the average joe... I think were 2 hours ish to run down there... There is a small course in Penticton that is open now as well... Nothing special...

I would rather trek a little further and play in oliver or osoyoos... We usually travel in a group of 4... We all pile in together... Have to find a way to save in this crazy pandemic... If housing prices keep rising I may have to sell and live on the street and spend all my money on golf 🙂

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

I hear ya... Trying to figure out how I can strap my clubs onto a Ebike LOL

The cost of golf and fuel is getting out of touch for the average joe... I think were 2 hours ish to run down there... There is a small course in Penticton that is open now as well... Nothing special...

I would rather trek a little further and play in oliver or osoyoos... We usually travel in a group of 4... We all pile in together... Have to find a way to save in this crazy pandemic... If housing prices keep rising I may have to sell and live on the street and spend all my money on golf 🙂

My friend bought 2 high speed scooters....he brought one out a few times to play golf.

He let me ride them on a few holes...lots of fun...they are fast.

I have been noticing a trend with older golfers....now using electric push carts.