2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

I agree that golf in Vancouver or anywhere in BC is not going to get any better for the next few years.

Even though we can travel to the US I have cancelled several trips already and will likely not go on a couple slated for this spring.

My fear is catching COVID and having to deal with getting back into Canada and all the different Federal (border) vs. Provincial rules.

This is reminding me of the early 90's when our four sum had to take every lunch on Thursdays to try and book a weekend tee time and often ending up in Royalwood Golf and RV Resort or maybe even 18 Pastures.  Fun times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KBong said:

My friend bought 2 high speed scooters....he brought one out a few times to play golf.

He let me ride them on a few holes...lots of fun...they are fast.

I have been noticing a trend with older golfers....now using electric push carts.

A friend of mine picked up a electric push cart last year.. I was impressed.. Tried to get myself one 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

I agree that golf in Vancouver or anywhere in BC is not going to get any better for the next few years.

Even though we can travel to the US I have cancelled several trips already and will likely not go on a couple slated for this spring.

My fear is catching COVID and having to deal with getting back into Canada and all the different Federal (border) vs. Provincial rules.

This is reminding me of the early 90's when our four sum had to take every lunch on Thursdays to try and book a weekend tee time and often ending up in Royalwood Golf and RV Resort or maybe even 18 Pastures.  Fun times.

Or get sick from something else and try to get care. We were booked for PS leaving today but cancelled a while ago...have rebooked for November. We'll see.

I played once at McCleery in the early 1980's as a walk on single with three guys who worked for BC Tel when it still was BC Tel.  I think it was book at noon two days before back then. These guys told me they closed off all the phone access just before noon, opened them up right at noon and were first in. Their story seemed sincere but I've wondered for years why they would tell this to  a stranger.

May I suggest again to folks who are worried about tee-times even getting worse if public course access is reduced (Parks Board evaluation is underway for Langara) to "subscribe" to the Vancouver Golf Players Association...the electronic version of a petition to show support in numbers for a case to the City. https://vancouvergpa.com/

Edited by myspinonit
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shushwap said:

A friend of mine picked up a electric push cart last year.. I was impressed.. Tried to get myself one 

If you get one, be sure to get  a model with a "wheelie bar" .  I got one last year (Powacaddy) without one and traded it back to the store after maybe  a month at a loss mostly as the thing kept tipping backwards on bumpy terrain or on start on even a slight incline.  In fact on the first hole at McCleery (about as flat as they come) it fell backwards after I hit the button after my second shot and my Sun Mountain umbrella snapped in two.

Several guys in my group have them  and  some  debate whether it is safer to have  a remote or push button (many stories around of guys  chasing the cart as it goes into the water).  Two of my guys were having that discussion  a couple of years ago, the one with the push button start strong in the belief his was safer.  Then they watched as a crow got on the cart and poked at the shiny button. They got to it before it went in the water.  The other guy has the Alphard ewheels, and he now clips the remote to his belt after a scare when he had the remote in his pocket and the cart took off heading for trouble.

The other issue for me was weight in and out of the car and a warning from the store owner not to get the battery connectors wet. So, being in wet Vancouver, many times in the short time I had it I wouldn't take the battery out in the parking lot. Which means I had to unload it from my cart again in my apartment parkade, take the battery out for charging in my apartment and repeat that process before I left for my next round.

So I found that it was more of  a distraction to my game and  a hassle to be worth it overall.

Edited by myspinonit

5 hours ago, myspinonit said:

If you get one, be sure to get  a model with a "wheelie bar" .  I got one last year (Powacaddy) without one and traded it back to the store after maybe  a month at a loss mostly as the thing kept tipping backwards on bumpy terrain or on start on even a slight incline.  In fact on the first hole at McCleery (about as flat as they come) it fell backwards after I hit the button after my second shot and my Sun Mountain umbrella snapped in two.

Several guys in my group have them  and  some  debate whether it is safer to have  a remote or push button (many stories around of guys  chasing the cart as it goes into the water).  Two of my guys were having that discussion  a couple of years ago, the one with the push button start strong in the belief his was safer.  Then they watched as a crow got on the cart and poked at the shiny button. They got to it before it went in the water.  The other guy has the Alphard ewheels, and he now clips the remote to his belt after a scare when he had the remote in his pocket and the cart took off heading for trouble.

The other issue for me was weight in and out of the car and a warning from the store owner not to get the battery connectors wet. So, being in wet Vancouver, many times in the short time I had it I wouldn't take the battery out in the parking lot. Which means I had to unload it from my cart again in my apartment parkade, take the battery out for charging in my apartment and repeat that process before I left for my next round.

So I found that it was more of  a distraction to my game and  a hassle to be worth it overall.

My friend had picked up the V2 I think it was... They are the wheel add on you can attach to the clicgear rovic cart... It worked pretty well... I never seen it top over backwards... I did it go over a bank once... operator error

• Like 1

Alphard EWheels Club Booster V2 Motor & Battery With Brackets - Riverside Golf

I am having serious thoughts on getting one of these for my ClicGear 3.5+ cart.

My back isn't getting much better carrying, like I had hoped.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

58 minutes ago, Break68 said:

The V2 works well and I know  a couple of guys who use them.

Yeah, if you are carrying you are going to compound back compression issues even though sometimes it feels easier than pushing a cart. (Been there, done that.) Fortunately my back feels better this year, at least before much golf,  just my  shoulder now, and I have a new  physiotherapist that is doing wonders on that. 

The one addition (two really) I did getting ready for this year for my back  health was buy a Nitron cart ( for the second time) a few weeks ago. It is lighter than a Clicgear  & unfolds/folds like a dream Also got  a seat, coincidently the  last seat kit in  stock at Riverside. I’m not mechanical at all though and had to have the guy where I got the cart do the necessary bracket substitutions  from  the kit.  Good move as even he had to do some workarounds when a bolt was missing in the kit. 

3 hours ago, Break68 said:

Do it. They are awesome. That being said mine was stolen out of my garage two seasons ago. I’m not familiar with the 3.5 but if it doesn’t have a pivoting front wheel you may want to think again. The reason is the steering is done with the back tires and won’t turn well with a fixed front wheel 

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

1 hour ago, marmaduk said:

Do it. They are awesome. That being said mine was stolen out of my garage two seasons ago. I’m not familiar with the 3.5 but if it doesn’t have a pivoting front wheel you may want to think again. The reason is the steering is done with the back tires and won’t turn well with a fixed front wheel 

exactly and this is the reason why he had to purchase the rovic over the 3 wheel cart he had... How did you like it over all... The only one I have ever seen is my friends unit

On 2/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, Golfnuck said:

in the early 90's.........and often ending up in Royalwood Golf and RV Resort or maybe even 18 PasturesFun times.

I was transferred out here in 1992.

This was before the golf course build boom starting in 1993.

Yes, with limited courses...it was so DIFFICULT to obtain tee times for the weekend.

Yup...one weekend it was Royalwood....no one in our 4some had played the course...we carpooled in another's van.

A co-worker's husband was a REALLY FUNNY guy.

As we drove by Royalwood on Hwy 1...this guy asked me if that's the course...I said yes.

He then asked me if the green fee included a hard hat 🤣....Royalwood is such a COW PASTURE.

Unfortunately we stopped inviting him...we caught the GOOF cheating.

I caught him cheating on #16 at Burnaby....the next week...I was out of town on business....my friend caught him cheating on #4 at Redwoods.

The PATHETIC thing is we were only playing toonie skins....WTH...cheating with friends for loonie skins???

He was an AVID golfer...in 30 years....I'm really surprised I have never bumped into him at a golf course or driving range.

I played often on Sat morning with the boys at Mayfair Lakes...2 co-workers had the $300 or $400??? annual membership for advance booking privileges.

I was single in 1992...I often played as a single on Sun...many of the boys had family obligations.

I heard of this course called Iron Mtn (18 Pastures)....I drove out to Mission on a Sun...it was 30*C+.

I walk and hate cart golf.

I teed off on #12???....looked at the HUGE hill/mountain I had to climb....gave up at went home...lol....I think the green fee was $11???

I played 18 Pastures in 2014 in a scramble....the golf carts are such a JOKE there....we had to put the cart in reverse to climb the hills.🤣

Again in 1992 on a Sat...my friend and I couldn't find a tee time...we decided to drive to Lake Padden....thinking we'll just walk on.

90 minutes...we were still on the wait list.....his wife called....he's hen pecked....we left without playing golf...WTH.

Edited by KBong

6 hours ago, Break68 said:

The V2 was all the rage a few years ago...it was $900...pre-Covid.

15 hours ago, myspinonit said:

I played once at McCleery in the early 1980's as a walk on single with three guys who worked for BC Tel when it still was BC Tel.  I think it was book at noon two days before back then. These guys told me they closed off all the phone access just before noon, opened them up right at noon and were first in. Their story seemed sincere but I've wondered for years why they would tell this to  a stranger.

A PASSIVE BRAG story....I believe the BC Tel guys shutting the phone switch at McCleery to obtain tee times.

I don't know if it's still around...there was a HUGE BC Tel Sat morning men's club at Surrey Golf Club.

2 hours ago, Shushwap said:

exactly and this is the reason why he had to purchase the rovic over the 3 wheel cart he had... How did you like it over all... The only one I have ever seen is my friends unit

Once I get my health back (2019 83 rounds and since then 8 rounds) I will buy another. Especially if I am able to walk. 

The controller will take you half a round to adjust to and then it’s second nature. You’ll wonder how you went without it. It’s a very freeing feeling being able to just stroll down the fairways or in my case rough and just take it all in. 

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

15 hours ago, myspinonit said:

I played last Fri at Burnaby with a old Chinese guy....he bought some cheap Made in China electric push cart....$1000.

The cart would wander off on it's own....LMAO.

Why?

Because a guy in the 4some in front had the same cart and remote and his remote would interfere with both carts.

So both guys ended up turning off their remotes and PUSHING their carts....LMAO.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shushwap said:

My friend bought the Rovic years ago...he returned it....it is cheaply built in comparison to the original Clicgear models.

He sold his Clicgear last year and now carries...he's much younger...he's 43.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, marmaduk said:

Once I get my health back (2019 83 rounds and since then 8 rounds) I will buy another. Especially if I am able to walk. 

The controller will take you half a round to adjust to and then it’s second nature. You’ll wonder how you went without it. It’s a very freeing feeling being able to just stroll down the fairways or in my case rough and just take it all in. 

I really like the feel of just walking and not having to push a cart...I have done it a few tines on   a golf cart... I just walked a few holes while my friend drives as I need the exercise...  Did you use the remote or the follow along feature ?

I think I would walk more if I didnt have to push my cart up hills as what not

13 hours ago, marmaduk said:

Swivel Conversion Kit for Clicgear model 3.0/3.5+/4.0 – Alphard Golf USA

I believe this might fix that steering issue.

PXG One & Done

1 hour ago, Break68 said:

Swivel Conversion Kit for Clicgear model 3.0/3.5+/4.0 – Alphard Golf USA

I believe this might fix that steering issue.

As I said, like you, I know guys who use and like the Alphard.

But that link assumes one can get that swivel kit in Canada,. From the link you still need to purchase and install  extra Clicgear front wheels.   It looks like it is still out of stock in US.

If you need to replace your cart, it starts again...and that is if you can move the existing Alphard wheels and conversion kits to the new cart. Or,  separately  buy the specific Alphard converter kits.   By rough count for the initial purchase ~$1100 CDN plus tax  plus swivel add-ons you are getting to probably >$1500 CDN by this point. 

To me it would make more sense to just buy an e-cart stand-alone with the features one wants from GolfTown etc. that has a two to three year warranty. Especially if using a credit card that adds on another year's warranty.  And that has a storefront where you can take it in for warranty.

Edited by myspinonit

6 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

As I said, like you, I know guys who use and like the Alphard.

But that link assumes one can get that swivel kit in Canada,. From the link you still need to purchase and install  extra Clicgear front wheels.   It looks like it is still out of stock in US.

If you need to replace your cart, it starts again...and that is if you can move the existing Alphard wheels and conversion kits to the new cart. Or,  separately  buy the specific Alphard converter kits.   By rough count for the initial purchase ~$1100 CDN plus tax  plus swivel add-ons you are getting to probably >$1500 CDN by this point. 

To me it would make more sense to just buy an e-cart stand-alone with the features one wants from GolfTown etc. that has a two to three year warranty. Especially if using a credit card that adds on another year's warranty.  And that has a storefront where you can take it in for warranty.

Interesting.

PXG One & Done

11 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I really like the feel of just walking and not having to push a cart...I have done it a few tines on   a golf cart... I just walked a few holes while my friend drives as I need the exercise...  Did you use the remote or the follow along feature ?

I think I would walk more if I didnt have to push my cart up hills as what not

There wasn’t a follow option on mine. I had it maybe 4 years ago. The remote is quite intuitive 

It is the $$$ I am thinking about most right now.

PXG One & Done

10 hours ago, Shushwap said:

On another note.. what is everyone using for a push cart.. I have the sun mountain gt and I hate this thing.. I would really like a new cart this year.. Electric would be a  bonus it doesn't have to be though 

I just got a Bagboy Nitron for the second time in less than a year.  And added the seat.   Maiden voyage is today. 

I traded the first one in on the electric cart that didn’t pan out.  Had a Clicgear 3.5+ with seat added for years but sold it ( maybe too quickly) once I bought the first Nitron as I found it heavy.

The  Nitron is  so easy to unfold  with just a flip and fold, lighter and good features. That includes good storage, an adjustable umbrella holder and a drink holder built into the console.  ( i.e.No cupholder bouncing on the sides like the Clicgear and other models that occasionally tip the drink over.)The Nitron wasn't in stock when I traded in the e-cart, so I got an Axglo V2.  

The V2 also has good storage, light, adjusting umbrella holder.  More plastic and feels less robust than the other two models though.   Can easily switch from a swivel or straight front wheel pushing a button. It has a stated max capacity of 40 lbs. While I  doubt I had 40 pounds, my last round ( in January) it was loaded in the side pockets as I shedded outer layers. It almost tipped sideways once that day than actually did on a slight sidehill lie into some mud. So I went  back to a Nitron and sold the V2.

Neither of those is the tank that a Clicgear is,  but both are also lighter to unload and push  and easy to unfold. 

Quite the adventure in carts this past year!! 

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:05 PM, Shushwap said:

On another note.. what is everyone using for a push cart.. I have the sun mountain gt and I hate this thing.. I would really like a new cart this year.. Electric would be a  bonus it doesn't have to be though 

I'm just using a Clicgear 3.5

Been happy enough I've never felt the urge to go with something else.  Some of the electric options look cool but I'm too cheap to go that route.

1 hour ago, The Beav said:

I'm just using a Clicgear 3.5

Been happy enough I've never felt the urge to go with something else.  Some of the electric options look cool but I'm too cheap to go that route.

I looked at the pricing on all carts.. Wow did they go up in price.  Especially the electric 

I really want something that folds up compact.  I may look at a clicgewr this year. I was originally going to get one until my pro talked me out of it 

I've had a Clicgear 3.0 since they first came out. 10 years? Only complaint is that the plastic on attachment clips became brittle a few years ago and they all broke except for one still hanging on for it's life. It's been a good cart. I go through phases of pushing and carrying so it's not been used for every round, but it's got a lot of KMs on the clock.

I haven't shopped or looked at carts since, I'm assuming there are others out there these days that fold up a bit more compact? I'd be interested since I switched to a less sensible car and getting my Clicgear in to the trunk opening has become a minor pain especially when it's wet or dirty.