Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

Just now, Haroputt said:

Have you been tried? 

Satisfied with the service?

For my driver fitting and hybrid, yes very happy. My 3 wood, not so much, ended up with a Ping G425 that I can't hit at all. I have to call the fitter and see what they can do for me. Never had them do a putter fitting.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

4 hours ago, Haroputt said:

Anyone know  places for putting fitting in Vancouver ?

Don't bother with modern for a putter fitting as all they do is watch u try out the current selection of putters.. Waste of time and money 

Head over to Morgan Creek and see the crew there if u are serious about getting fit for a putter 

I would rate modern... the same as going into golf town and trying out putters 

Edited by Shushwap

18 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Fraserview Men's has always been popular so I can see them hoiding off on new members, and probably any club has had a ton of requests since the 2020 issues. McCleery Men's club was posting signs for new members as recently as last summer I think.  Signs were posted in the clubhouse.   There used to be similar signs at Langara clubhouse..not sure what there situation is now for turnover.

Yeah it is tough and especially for a single now I'm sure. I don't think the City courses were particularly welcoming for  singles since Covid, not sure if that changed in 2021? I know that Riverway does now allow singles to join up, but that's always a guessing game if/when you will get on, and that's before the Covid demand.  I'm lucky to be a senior and belong  to two seniors groups that arrange bookings and there is a senior weekday green fee break, especially at the Vancouver and Burnaby courses.

Edit: If you are an over 55 and are interested in local weekday play you could check out westpointgolf.org  and University Men's Midweek at https://mmgc.golfgroupmanager.com/.

Both will have waiting lists and  they might be suspended from current demand?

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you've found a community in the senior clubs. I'm part of the under 30 crowd which seems forgotten in Vancouver compared to the Okanagan. Had gotten to a point with my game that I planned on playing bigger amateur events next season and trying to qualify for BC and Canadian Ams. But that's a pipe dream here in Vancouver where practicing and playing multiple times per week is near impossible unless you have serious cash (or serious family money). Seems like I'll just be out of this city as soon as possible.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, doctorgolf said:

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you've found a community in the senior clubs. I'm part of the under 30 crowd which seems forgotten in Vancouver compared to the Okanagan. Had gotten to a point with my game that I planned on playing bigger amateur events next season and trying to qualify for BC and Canadian Ams. But that's a pipe dream here in Vancouver where practicing and playing multiple times per week is near impossible unless you have serious cash (or serious family money). Seems like I'll just be out of this city as soon as possible.

I'm in my mid-30s but I've lived the same story.   There used to be a place for the Intermediate (20-40) golfer, but the Vancouver golf courses have decided to focus on money now, rather than future sustainability. 

If you're looking to get out and practice/play a ton I'm not sure there's a good affordable option...maybe Pitt Meadows?  Meadow Gardens offers something but the practice area is pretty lame.  

But that's a pipe dream here in Vancouver where practicing and playing multiple times per week is near impossible unless you have serious cash (or serious family money). Seems like I'll just be out of this city as soon as possible.

Vancouver ranks dead last in housing affordability in North America and you expected golf to be economical???

Pre-Covid there were some pretty cheap intermediate options at some clubs...ya just had to be willing to drive out to the suburbs.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-most-unaffordable-city-housing-north-america

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Beav said:

1) I'm in my mid-30s but I've lived the same story.   There used to be a place for the Intermediate (20-40) golfer, but the Vancouver golf courses have decided to focus on money now, rather than future sustainability. 

2) If you're looking to get out and practice/play a ton I'm not sure there's a good affordable option...maybe Pitt Meadows?  Meadow Gardens offers something but the practice area is pretty lame.  

1) Golf courses are a business and they have always been in the mindset to focus on making money...past and present.

It's not easy to make money as a stand alone golf course....pre-Covid many course might have struggled to break even.

Drainage...which doesn't last forever...is about $1M a course...never mind all the annual maintenance projects.

That being said...IMO...golfing in the GVRD is fairly reasonable for a metro city.

Pre-Covid...with the use of the Redbook and playing twilight....my avg. cost per rd was approx $26-$29 including taxes from 2014-2019...and that's about 100 rds/yr.

2) IMO....I'm not a fan of PMGC....pre-Covid they were struggling financially and the conditions were poor...then they took on approx 800 members during Covid....making it near impossible to obtain tee times...I believe many members asked for their initiation back and quit because of this...that's why they are back offering memberships.

It's also really mucky in the winter....it's still closed due to the floods...and with our forecast...not likely to open for some time.

• Like 1

I'm an under 30 in Vancouver area (Surrey) and it is a tough scene to get into, but here are a few things I would recommend.

• Join the Vancouver Golf Tour spring/summer Tour and play in as many of the Zone and provincial tournaments and qualifiers. Yes it's little more pricey then playing your standard round, but you are guaranteed to have a weekend tee time and if you are a decent player, which it sounds like you are, you'll win back a lot of your entry fee money. The events are very well run and you make the connections with other good players. I've had a bunch of rounds where I've exchanged numbers with guys after the round, and you then have that network to have a consistent weekly match.
  • Make a purchase of the largest amount of range balls you can get when they go on sale. I know Eaglequest in Coquitlam often has a special on their super mega range card which is like 10,000 balls or somethings crazy. When I lived in downtown Vancouver McCleery did have a similar special they ran from time to time.
  • Not sure of your work schedule/other time commitments, but you could always look at trying to work part-time at a course. I worked summer months at Fort Langley golf course for many years through college which gave me free golf privileges. I currently get basically free golf at Morgan Creek now because I am consider part of their academy staff (fitness training)
  • It's not too bad of a drive to Meadow Gardens and they have a great under 30 seasons pass (if they still offer it). I did that for a year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of under 30's there and a great course that is challenging. Not the greatest range, but it works fine to practice before or after a round.

DM me if you have any other questions

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, KBong said:

I think only players in the pro division can win cash....while other amateur divisions play for gift certificates or gift certificate credits???

You are correct. Usually it is prize credits to be used towards a large selection of different brands as well as gift cards to golf courses or restaurants etc. There is a skins game as well where you can win cash, but that's usually only $30-$50. You could always sell the items you win if you are really in a tight spot financially. But typically you'll need to buy new golf shoes, balls, apparel, or something at the end of each season anyway and the prize credit can go towards something you would have spent money on anyway. With how expensive tee times were this past summer some of the events were maybe an extra $10-$30 per round with a chance to win that back and more if you finish top 3. 

• Like 1

I was talking with a friend about 2022 golf and I personally think it will be a little easier to get a Tee time.. With everyone going back to work after the free money ran out.. They shouldn't have the time during the week to plug up the courses.. My buddy thinks I'm in dream land 

What do u all think.? 

8 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

I was talking with a friend about 2022 golf and I personally think it will be a little easier to get a Tee time.. With everyone going back to work after the free money ran out.. They shouldn't have the time during the week to plug up the courses.. My buddy thinks I'm in dream land 

What do u all think.? 

If anything the reduced restrictions at the border will be the difference maker. This city is filled with plenty of people who do nothing and have money to burn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Phireside said:

If anything the reduced restrictions at the border will be the difference maker. This city is filled with plenty of people who do nothing and have money to burn.

I resemble that remark. (I'm not THIS old though):

watch_you_doing_today.jpeg.ec9ff8e6f49aec9f9bc7069c66a2608f.jpeg

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jordan_mccomb said:

I'm an under 30 in Vancouver area (Surrey) and it is a tough scene to get into, but here are a few things I would recommend.

• Join the Vancouver Golf Tour spring/summer Tour and play in as many of the Zone and provincial tournaments and qualifiers. Yes it's little more pricey then playing your standard round, but you are guaranteed to have a weekend tee time and if you are a decent player, which it sounds like you are, you'll win back a lot of your entry fee money. The events are very well run and you make the connections with other good players. I've had a bunch of rounds where I've exchanged numbers with guys after the round, and you then have that network to have a consistent weekly match.
  • Make a purchase of the largest amount of range balls you can get when they go on sale. I know Eaglequest in Coquitlam often has a special on their super mega range card which is like 10,000 balls or somethings crazy. When I lived in downtown Vancouver McCleery did have a similar special they ran from time to time.
  • Not sure of your work schedule/other time commitments, but you could always look at trying to work part-time at a course. I worked summer months at Fort Langley golf course for many years through college which gave me free golf privileges. I currently get basically free golf at Morgan Creek now because I am consider part of their academy staff (fitness training)
  • It's not too bad of a drive to Meadow Gardens and they have a great under 30 seasons pass (if they still offer it). I did that for a year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of under 30's there and a great course that is challenging. Not the greatest range, but it works fine to practice before or after a round.

DM me if you have any other questions

This is awesome information, thanks! I did see that about Meadow Gardens a few months ago. The Legacy Annual Pass. I'm on the waitlist for 2022 and am supposed to hear sometime in December but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks again

Can someone provide some feedback on Surrey Golf Club and Guildford Golf and Country Club? I have found they have season passes. Wondering if they are worth considering at all. Otherwise I might just do as @KBong and use the redbook and any other discounts I can find to play around. Super good deal if you can get 100 rounds for 3k at many different courses.

I'll jump in. I joined Meadow Gardens last year as a full member. This was partially as a result of my one buddy having joined a few years before. With Covid it was getting really tough to get a regular tee time, so I played a lot as his guest.  Finally joined and I haven't looked back. It also helps that I am only a 15 minute drive away from it. Before I joined I played a lot of golf at Semiahmoo, North Bellingham, as well as locally at Northview and Morgan Creek.

I have been really happy with the course, the staff are great and for the most part the rounds are 4:15 or less. The location certainly lends itself to more rain than other areas, but we played right through the winter last year. This is the wettest fall I have ever experienced in over 20 years in the lower mainland. The course has had to close multiple times due to the rain, more so to avoid damage due to play.  I played Wednesday and the greens remain surprisingly fast. 

I haven't played Surrey Golf Course in years and it has been even longer since I last played Guildford, so I will leave it to the other guys here to answer that. I have never been a fan of either. I assume you moved here for work, this is one place in Canada where you could theoretically play all year, which is a bonus. The pandemic has certainly made everything more difficult. Once the borders open, a large amount of golfers will return to playing across the line. With a Nexus card it is pretty convenient and some of the rates there are excellent, even with US dollars.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

2 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

Can someone provide some feedback on Surrey Golf Club and Guildford Golf and Country Club? I have found they have season passes. Wondering if they are worth considering at all. Otherwise I might just do as @KBong and use the redbook and any other discounts I can find to play around. Super good deal if you can get 100 rounds for 3k at many different courses.

I've played both a number of times. I wouldn't consider Guildford. Drainage is very poor, course is literally a lake right now (I drive by every day). There are some fun holes, but half the holes have a creek that run through which I'm not a huge fan of.

Surrey is actually pretty solid. Whenever I play I am pleasantly surprised. I don't know as much about conditioning, but I played a handful of twilight rounds there through the summer and thought it was in quite good shape. Better mix of holes IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

This is awesome information, thanks! I did see that about Meadow Gardens a few months ago. The Legacy Annual Pass. I'm on the waitlist for 2022 and am supposed to hear sometime in December but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks again

I know a 30 something guy who joined MG in April 2020 because of the pandemic.

He says there a good group of about 20-30 competitive guys who have a good money game on a daily basis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

SGC and GGCC will both be winter muck holes with GGCC being the worst.

Most people don't like the layout at GGCC...including myself.

SGC is an ok/pretty good track...but I'm not aware of an annual unlimited play pass there.

The pandemic has made all the deals and low twilight rates disappear.

The 2022 Redbook is lousy and IMO...not worth buying....before Covid and from 2014-2018....the Redbook was really good...so good that some years my friend and I bought 8 Redbooks for the 2 for 1 coupons,

The days of my discounted fees & twilight averaging well under $30/rd are over.

This virus isn't going away they way it's mutating.

Morgan Creek and Kings Links are good winter courses for conditioning....but their annual passes are sold out.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 7:04 PM, mukster said:

I'll jump in. I joined Meadow Gardens last year as a full member. This was partially as a result of my one buddy having joined a few years before. With Covid it was getting really tough to get a regular tee time, so I played a lot as his guest.  Finally joined and I haven't looked back. It also helps that I am only a 15 minute drive away from it. Before I joined I played a lot of golf at Semiahmoo, North Bellingham, as well as locally at Northview and Morgan Creek.

I have been really happy with the course, the staff are great and for the most part the rounds are 4:15 or less. The location certainly lends itself to more rain than other areas, but we played right through the winter last year. This is the wettest fall I have ever experienced in over 20 years in the lower mainland. The course has had to close multiple times due to the rain, more so to avoid damage due to play.  I played Wednesday and the greens remain surprisingly fast. 

I haven't played Surrey Golf Course in years and it has been even longer since I last played Guildford, so I will leave it to the other guys here to answer that. I have never been a fan of either. I assume you moved here for work, this is one place in Canada where you could theoretically play all year, which is a bonus. The pandemic has certainly made everything more difficult. Once the borders open, a large amount of golfers will return to playing across the line. With a Nexus card it is pretty convenient and some of the rates there are excellent, even with US dollars.

What are the choice golf course to play in the US side?  I’m new to the area to and live close to the border 

10 hours ago, Haroputt said:

What are the choice golf course to play in the US side?  I’m new to the area to and live close to the border 

There are a ton of courses in the Bellingham area....they are all good and unique....IMO...all the full length courses are worth playing.

FWIW....if you go down on an empty tank....gas up at Costco...the savings will pay for the return trip gas usage.

Oh ya....the cheese is cheap too...lol.

https://www.golfmax.com/Golf-Courses/Bellingham-Washington-Golf-Courses.shtml

North Bellingham is a good course, I played there for a few years. You can buy a variety of memberships. Should be on the website. Stays drier than most in the winter. Its defense is the wind and that can make it a tough track. 

Loomis trail is now public and it is a good solid test of golf.  Haven’t played it since Semiahmoo sold it off. 

We usually play Shuksan a few times per year, good value and a fun track. 

I’m not a fan of The Homestead, but I know a lot of people that play there regularly and enjoy it. 

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Played today. It was quite cool and the greens are now slowing down a bit. Course was drier than last time I played. 
Must take what we get this time of the year. 

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge