Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

12 hours ago, Phireside said:

Not a chance I was going out in that mess today! Bravo to you!

9 hours ago, KBong said:

Huh...you paid full pop to play in the RAIN...WTH???

I'll wait until Tues...when the Atmospheric River gets rerouted. 

It wasn't even too bad, but yeah it was full rain gear.  I got to try my new Sunice rain suit and man it was amazing! 

With my work and family schedules I don't really have the luxury of choosing when to play anymore - so it's play in the wet or not at all.  And I choose golf haha!

7 hours ago, Haroputt said:

I hate playing after days of rain.   Are there any course that have good drainage and dries off well after a heavy rain? 

Morgan Creek is probably the best for drainage? Pagoda Ridge used to be pretty good too after heavy rain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBong said:

Morgan Creek, Kings Links, Riverway and Burnaby Mtn are the best public courses for winter drainage in the GVRD.

Agree with this list. And I believe Kings is staying open again this year. Problem is that Kings becomes more goose droppings than fairway this time of year if last year is any indication. Though I haven't played there in about a month and a half.

I'm told Northlands drains well. I don't play there often but if it stays snow free and drains well, I may play this winter now that I live this side of the bridge. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Phireside
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phireside said:

I'm told Northlands drains well. I don't play there often but if it stays snow free and drains well, I may play this winter now that I live this side of the bridge. Can anyone confirm this?

They have definitely done some good maintenance work at Northlands but it doesn't compare to the 4 I listed as far as winter conditions.

Is there anywhere in Vancouver to get a winter practice membership? I am new to the area - the course I play at closes the range for the winter, and I would like to be able to practice somewhere during the week. Tried GolfTec, but need to sign up for lessons to get access to practice. Only other thought was Modern Golf in Richmond. Any other suggestions?

^Eaglequest does volume deals and you can also get toptracer access if you want to get stats and the like, although outdoors really the eye test is sufficient IMHO for my hacker level.

I don't think any ranges do practice memberships per say, simply buy a bigger range card at the start and get your price per/hour per/ball down.

It really is just a matter of comparing the prices and facilities at the different ranges - some are going to have the crap kicked out of their mats, others won't. I don't think there is much more to it than that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

6 hours ago, zampapi said:

Is there anywhere in Vancouver to get a winter practice membership? I am new to the area - the course I play at closes the range for the winter, and I would like to be able to practice somewhere during the week. Tried GolfTec, but need to sign up for lessons to get access to practice. Only other thought was Modern Golf in Richmond. Any other suggestions?

Not sure where you are located, but if Musqueam is in your wheelhouse, I would recommend it. Many many stalls. Whole lower level is heated and as of the last time I was there, I was told upper level was getting heaters installed. Most if not all mats are new or still in very good shape (lower level for sure and some upper from what I saw. I mostly stay on lower). They had tons of new balls a couple seasons ago but are starting to show age now. Range has lots of targets to aim at. I wish I still lived close enough to keep it as my regular range.

I'll admit that I am a bit of Musqueam fan boy (range, not course) because it's where I learned to play the game.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:55 PM, myspinonit said:

Riverway was in great shape Tuesday. Greens were surprisingly fast.  Played University today ( a week after aeration).   A lot of sparse grass sections,  wet/spongy  sandy fairways and really slow greens.   Cold air didn't help, but it wasn't fun.  In contrast, one of my playing partners played McCleery yesterday and it was in great shape. I have also had reports the recent drainage work at Langara really paid off and it is now one of the driest around.

Booked in with my group for Fraserview tomorrow. Probably I still will play though it looks to be a wet day since it probably is my last round for a while. I have a prostate operation  on Tuesday so that may sideline golf till the new year even if we get some milder dry days. Yeah, I get weekday seniors rates, but unfortunately that same age bracket has other drawbacks!

Cheers.

All the best for the upcoming surgery!

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

On 10/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, Phireside said:

Not sure where you are located, but if Musqueam is in your wheelhouse, I would recommend it. Many many stalls. Whole lower level is heated and as of the last time I was there, I was told upper level was getting heaters installed. Most if not all mats are new or still in very good shape (lower level for sure and some upper from what I saw. I mostly stay on lower). They had tons of new balls a couple seasons ago but are starting to show age now. Range has lots of targets to aim at. I wish I still lived close enough to keep it as my regular range.

I'll admit that I am a bit of Musqueam fan boy (range, not course) because it's where I learned to play the game.

This is great info, thank you! I will have to check them out. I assume the range stays open through the winter if it is heated?

Ended up in the Okanagan this weekend at the last minute, and good grief the tee time situation up here is bleak.  Courses are either closed for winter, or chalk full - and not just weekends.  Monday and Tuesday full too haha.  The clubs may be getting a week off it looks like.  

Black Mountain any good? Might have a glimmer of hope there.

13 hours ago, The Beav said:

Ended up in the Okanagan this weekend at the last minute, and good grief the tee time situation up here is bleak.  Courses are either closed for winter, or chalk full - and not just weekends.  Monday and Tuesday full too haha.  The clubs may be getting a week off it looks like.  

Bm is not to bad.. Playing Kelowna springs this afternoon as it's the only place I could get a Tee time at the last minute.. Was going to try Bm.. Friend is driving in from salmon arm area.. Needed something a little closer.. 

Welcome to my life...tee times are impossible to get up here 

On 10/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, Phireside said:

Burnaby Mountain and Riverway also have similar attributes, including signage, though I don't like the mats.  They keep the mat material long which doesn't help if you catch it a smidge heavy and/or if they are wet. 

Musqueum is closer so that's also where I generally have gravitated (or sometimes McCleery).  The  Musqueum distance signs are helpful especially for me testing clubs and adjustable clubs settings. They might have moved them though as my shots don't seem to go as far according to the signs as a few years ago. 😀

University is even closer and I have  a ton of token credits. But don't go there very often partly as it's busy with relatively few stalls. But mostly not as good signage, which might be moot anyway for gauging distance as a  lot of times as you are hitting dead into the West prevailing wind.  I don't think it is heated???

I won't be hitting any range balls for a couple of months so i should stay off the forums, lol. But I'm doing better than I expected so far a few days post-op. Thanks for the best wishes that were extended, folks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Beav said:

Yup...WRX member in OK...says the greens are all JACKED UP with SOLD OUT tee sheets.

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

Bm is not to bad.. Playing Kelowna springs this afternoon as it's the only place I could get a Tee time at the last minute.. Was going to try Bm.. Friend is driving in from salmon arm area.. Needed something a little closer.. 

Welcome to my life...tee times are impossible to get up here 

Played KS back in 1992 and was so HUNGOVER in the am on a boys trip.....it was really HAZY/FOGGY for 4 hours...LOL....I think I shot 76...but it's a fairly short course but lots of water hazards....reminds me of a shorter version of Mayfair Lakes.......both designed by Les Furber.......also Salmon Arm....I've played quite a few Furber courses.

I also played the Quail later that afternoon....needed more beer to get rid of my hangover.🤣

No golf for a while here....PATHETIC long range RAIN forecast...WTF...might head out to the range later.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, KBong said:

Played KS back in 1992 and was so HUNGOVER in the am on a boys trip.....it was really HAZY/FOGGY for 4 hours...LOL....I think I shot 76...but it's a fairly short course but lots of water hazards....reminds me of a shorter version of Mayfair Lakes.......both designed by Les Furber.......also Salmon Arm....I've played quite a few Furber courses.

I also played the Quail later that afternoon....needed more beer to get rid of my hangover.🤣

No golf for a while here....PATHETIC long range RAIN forecast...WTF...might head out to the range later.

Ks is not at the top of my must play list.. These days I have to take what I can get.. Still better then sitting at home.. The water there eats up a ton of balls I would assume.. It took 2 from me 

42 on the front and 38 back.. 

It's usually one of the last to close up here and the first to open 

I may pick up a 10 pack for black mountain next year and split it with a few friends.. Trying to keep the costs down.. I just can't bring myself to pay the 110 to 150 these courses want 

I will load up on pre. Paid rounds at Shuswap courses over the next 6 weeks if they come up again.. I would much rather pay 65 at talking rock.. Salmon arm and national and take  the drive 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Ks is not at the top of my must play list.. These days I have to take what I can get.. Still better then sitting at home.. The water there eats up a ton of balls I would assume.. It took 2 from me 

42 on the front and 38 back.. 

It's usually one of the last to close up here and the first to open 

I may pick up a 10 pack for black mountain next year and split it with a few friends.. Trying to keep the costs down.. I just can't bring myself to pay the 110 to 150 these courses want 

I will load up on pre. Paid rounds at Shuswap courses over the next 6 weeks if they come up again.. I would much rather pay 65 at talking rock.. Salmon arm and national and take  the drive 

Isn't that a really FAR drive?

You need to lower your expectations if you want to be a cheapa** golfer and just settle for the likes of a Shannon Lakes or KS type membership.

Ya can't have your cake and eat it too.🤣

5 hours ago, KBong said:

Isn't that a really FAR drive?

You need to lower your expectations if you want to be a cheapa** golfer and just settle for the likes of a Shannon Lakes or KS type membership.

Ya can't have your cake and eat it too.🤣

How does that old saying go... Caviar dreams on a beer budget lol

Its a bit of a drive out.. Worth it for the price though... I can only play so many lower end courses... Its a treat to play out that way a few times a month...

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, The Beav said:

Really happy I checked out Black Mountain today.  Really fun course and not too gimmicky for a mountain track.   Played really short unless you go back to the tips (we played blue tees).  Wind was howling all afternoon and made it a lot of fun.

20211025_120225.jpg

20211025_122424.jpg

Glad you had a great day.

Can I assume on slope & rating & price That BM is an easy and "poor man's" version of nearby Tower Ranch?

Surprised you liked playing in the high winds....I played Tobiano in high winds...and HATED it and hate no desire to return...I believe it often windy at Tobiano.

11 hours ago, KBong said:

Glad you had a great day.

Can I assume on slope & rating & price That BM is an easy and "poor man's" version of nearby Tower Ranch?

Surprised you liked playing in the high winds....I played Tobiano in high winds...and HATED it and hate no desire to return...I believe it often windy at Tobiano.

Yeah, it's basically Tower Ranch but just less of everything.  Less cost,  less length, less difficulty, less manicured etc.  It's probably only because I played better but I think I enjoyed BM more.  Tower Ranch always leaves me shell-shocked by the end since I can't make a 4ft putt there to save my life.

The front 9 was pretty demanding requiring some good accuracy, but from the tees we played the par 5s are reachable and lots of short par 4s - so your score shouldn't ever get away from you.  Greens' undulation is the main defence.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Beav said:

Yeah, it's basically Tower Ranch but just less of everything.  Less cost,  less length, less difficulty, less manicured etc.  It's probably only because I played better but I think I enjoyed BM more.  Tower Ranch always leaves me shell-shocked by the end since I can't make a 4ft putt there to save my life.

The front 9 was pretty demanding requiring some good accuracy, but from the tees we played the par 5s are reachable and lots of short par 4s - so your score shouldn't ever get away from you.  Greens' undulation is the main defence.  

Tower is tough track. The greens are really tough.. I 4 putted from inside 5 feet there this year lol.. I don't mind bm... I almost had my best 9 there until the wheels fell off the bus.. 

What did they charge this late in the season.. 

1 minute ago, KBong said:

Stop talking about my game.😛

I just about snapped lol.. It was baddd

Tobiano when the wind is howling is nasty.. We played there a few years ago and I remember this one hole that was playing 175 I pulled out my 190 club and it didn't make it over the canyon.. Lost ball.. Other 2 guys same thing.. Short and in the canyon. Last guy steps up with his driver we all started laughing.. He was the only one on the green.. 

Moral of the story if the wind is blowing Tobiano sucks.. 

I have played it a few more times since then with little to no wind and its a totally different experience.. 

The wind up at bm is no where near as bad.. as u have hills all around its not wide open like Tobiano.. 

I plan to play tower again next year and at the end of the round I will tear up the score card and throw it away lol.. 

On a side not I looked to see what I paid for my pre paid at talking rock with a cart.. $55

If I can get them for 55 again next month.. I am going to pick up a few more 

• Like 1