Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

15 hours ago, vancouver81 said:

Played Big Sky for the first time this weekend and was hugely disappointed. Course was in horrendous shape, every fairway (no hyperbole) had massive bare patches. Not dried up, but completely bare. I know they had some flooding at the start of the season and maybe that’s part of the issue, but they have no business charging full summer rates and not disclosing the poor conditions to the public. 

It was cartpath only for the “overseeding,” but there is a zero percent chance those fairways are coming back this season, and they look to have been dead for a long time. Numerous tee boxes were in rough shape as well, while greens were at least average tho far from pure. Too bad as I’ve heard great things about this course, don’t know if it’s a financial ownership thing but we also didn’t see a marshal the entire 5+ hour round. 

FA300632-B9DA-48BD-8007-EDEBCAF08F0C.jpeg

There are quite a few public courses that have burnt out bare spots like these this summer...maybe not quite as large.

IMO....Big Sky is an ok track...especially if you use the Redbook 2 for 1 coupon.

Yes....in recent years I've heard a lot of conditioning criticism and heard that they didn't provide warning of aeration.

Sorry to hear of the poor conditioning for your rd.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:51 PM, jordan_mccomb said:

Been awhile since I've seen a ranking list for the lower mainland. I know many have been in this group for a while so maybe it's not as useful, but I think a lot of us stick to our select rotation of courses. What are the top 3 public course experiences in the lower mainland you've had this year? I'll start it off:

1) Fraserview. I really enjoy the layout. Such a great mix of holes. The conditioning last week for the Vancouver Open was phenomenal.

2) Morgan Creek. I'm not a huge fan of running through a housing development, but there is no better conditioned course in the area. Despite not being long, it's a true test, I feel if you can play well there, you can play well anywhere. A good mix of par 3's and hole 13 may be the best hole in the Lower Mainland.

3) Meadow Gardens. May have a small bias, as I've probably played the most number of rounds here. Challenging greens and can be stretched out to 7,000 yards. Always kept in good shape, and I like the variety of par 4's.

Bonus. Best par 3, 4, 5

3: 17 - Canal

4: 11 - Redwoods

5: 13 - Morgan Creek

#17 is a good pseudo island green and a great hole that could ruin a score late in the rd.

#11 is just bomb and gouge...it's just length.....no real stress on the drive or approach shot.

#13 at MC.....not much stress on the drive and 2nd shot.......approach can be a bit tricky dependant on pin placement.

No question MC has the best conditions for a public course in the GVRD.

But I don't like the housing on some holes.

IMO...from the tips.....if we are talking about difficulty of holes in the GVRD for public courses...some of these for me come to mind:

Par 3: #13 Fraserview, #13 McCleery

Par 4: #14 Burnaby Mountain

Par 5: Swaneset...Resort #1 & #10....Links #2.

EDIT....typo....I meant #13 par 3 at Fraserview....I previously typed #12.....#12 is a par 5.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, vancouver81 said:

Played Big Sky for the first time this weekend and was hugely disappointed. Course was in horrendous shape, every fairway (no hyperbole) had massive bare patches. Not dried up, but completely bare. I know they had some flooding at the start of the season and maybe that’s part of the issue, but they have no business charging full summer rates and not disclosing the poor conditions to the public. 

It was cartpath only for the “overseeding,” but there is a zero percent chance those fairways are coming back this season, and they look to have been dead for a long time. Numerous tee boxes were in rough shape as well, while greens were at least average tho far from pure. Too bad as I’ve heard great things about this course, don’t know if it’s a financial ownership thing but we also didn’t see a marshal the entire 5+ hour round. 

FA300632-B9DA-48BD-8007-EDEBCAF08F0C.jpeg

YEEEESSS!!! I have been arguing the Big Sky is the most overrated course in BC for years (and I lose all the arguments).  Honestly, it's basically Meadow Gardens but with higher price, worse conditions, and a big pretty mountain.

• Like 1

Also, here's a wildly unpopular take - #13 at Morgan stinks [ducks for cover]. 

It's only a good risk/reward hole for 1-2 months a year when the fairway gets baked and drives can bounce down the speed slot onto the upslope (super long hitters being the exception).  For the rest of us, having 235-255 off a downslope into a green with no bailout long and a hazard 1 yard off the front is impossible.  So it's a 3 shot hole where your 2nd shot is completely a throw away shot.  Usually a choppy little 6i down the hill for me.

That said, I think #2 is a fabulous par 5.  That maple tree/bunker combo short left of the green is an absolute destroyer of souls.  If not going for it the layup needs to navigate the lateral hazard across the fairway and the bunker on the right, where the best angle into the green is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jordan_mccomb said:

Been awhile since I've seen a ranking list for the lower mainland. I know many have been in this group for a while so maybe it's not as useful, but I think a lot of us stick to our select rotation of courses. What are the top 3 public course experiences in the lower mainland you've had this year? I'll start it off:

1) Fraserview. I really enjoy the layout. Such a great mix of holes. The conditioning last week for the Vancouver Open was phenomenal.

2) Morgan Creek. I'm not a huge fan of running through a housing development, but there is no better conditioned course in the area. Despite not being long, it's a true test, I feel if you can play well there, you can play well anywhere. A good mix of par 3's and hole 13 may be the best hole in the Lower Mainland.

3) Meadow Gardens. May have a small bias, as I've probably played the most number of rounds here. Challenging greens and can be stretched out to 7,000 yards. Always kept in good shape, and I like the variety of par 4's.

Bonus. Best par 3, 4, 5

3: 17 - Canal

4: 11 - Redwoods

5: 13 - Morgan Creek

Great assessment above.  I agree with almost all of it. 

1) Fraserview.  Fair rates year round, good in the winter, greens always punching above their weight class,  Marshalls actually do their job.  Fun par 5s, beautiful par 3s.  A true jewel of a muni.

2) Morgan Creek. Amazing conditions year round and a tough test of golf even with the rough always kept pretty resort esque.  I'm a 70s player at most courses yet somehow I ALWAYS end up at 80 or higher when playing Morgan, despite playing most of my golf there.   Really well run facility overall as well, it feels like they value your business.

3) Northview Ridge.  Since the installation of the go-kart track they seem to have found their way again.  Conditions are very good and it's probably my favorite layout in the area.  A lot of "half par holes" which leads to exciting golf IMO.  Too bad it's overpriced and the booking policy is maddening.

Best par 3 - Fraserview #13

Best par 4 - Morgan #1

Best par 5 - Canal #8

• Like 1

On 7/7/2011 at 4:59 AM, waylman said:

My top 5 public courses (Lower mainland only)

1. [b]Morgan Creek[/b] - the nicest public course in the Lower Mainland in my opinion. Feels like a private track. Always in amazing shape. Super challenging course. Not for the slashers!
2. [b]Northview [/b]- Both the Ridge & Canal courses are great. Ridge course was not in great shape earlier this year which was a surprise. I'll be back to see what it's like soon.
3. [b]Redwoods [/b]- Beautiful course in Langley. I'm surprised this doesn't get more love! Always in great shape. A few very challenging holes.
4. [b]Fraserview [/b]- Great city owned course. Very open (easy) and fun course to play. In good shape considering the amount of traffic!
5. [b]Meadow Gardens[/b] - Very fun track in Maple Ridge. Quite open so you can really let the driver loose.

Honourable mentions
[b]Sandpiper [/b]- this is outside the lower mainland (near harrison hot springs) but I had to mention it. It is a BEAUTY! I would play here all the time if it was a little closer.
[b]Swan-e-set[/b] - Two great courses here. Both tough as nails. A great challenge.
[b]Northlands [/b]- Great back 9. Front 9 has too many hokey holes where a great drive can leave you with a crappy lie.
[b]UBC [/b]- Fun course and a great location. Gets tons of play but they keep it in good shape.

I visit my Brother in law once a year, usually during the August long weekend. Weather is usually awesome.

Got to agree with you on Fraser view. Its always in great shape...and pandemic aside...has a great $8.50 breakfast. Seems to fit my eye.

He did bring us to Northlands this year. I'd need 2 or 3 more rounds there to learn how to layup.. For this 18 informal capper, it was pretty tough. I could never find a flat surface other than the tee boxes. Great views. Apparently tough mountain courses don't fit my eye.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uitar9 said:

I visit my Brother in law once a year, usually during the August long weekend. Weather is usually awesome.

Got to agree with you on Fraser view. Its always in great shape...and pandemic aside...has a great $8.50 breakfast. Seems to fit my eye.

He did bring us to Northlands this year. I'd need 2 or 3 more rounds there to learn how to layup.. For this 18 informal capper, it was pretty tough. I could never find a flat surface other than the tee boxes. Great views. Apparently tough mountain courses don't fit my eye.

And watch for the crows on Northlands #10. They have learned that golfers fuel up on the turn. Once you are on the tee box, they descend as a squadron. Any loose food in carts ends up on a ledge above you. Our cart was lucky, we had it zip locked in our bags. The other cart lost everything, including a pack of smokes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:13 AM, KBong said:

I thought WCGG stopped the Red Hat program in 2020?

I assume you play Belmont a lot because it's close to you?

I don't mind Belmont....I don't like the walks up the hills and conditioning can be questionable at times.

Does anyone know who owns WCGG?....is it foreign ownership?...what country?

FWIW...the pump hole on #12 on the North course at Golden Eagle burnt down last Sat....they don't know if it's arson.

I got RedHat the last week they had them, October 12, 2020. I play Belmont as it was the only place I could get tee times during Covid and I am cheap, hence the RedHat. I live in the West End, Vancouver. Yes, yes it is a long drive to golf. I used to live in Downtown Ottawa and every course was 20-40 minutes away.

Edited by Break68
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

3 hours ago, The Beav said:

YEEEESSS!!! I have been arguing the Big Sky is the most overrated course in BC for years (and I lose all the arguments).  Honestly, it's basically Meadow Gardens but with higher price, worse conditions, and a big pretty mountain.

So.....I am trying to stay objective on the course itself, given the terrible conditions and the brutal pace of play last weekend.  But even with that said, the front 9 was boring. Too many short par 4s that were just...uninteresting.  No 10 at Redwoods that makes you think about club selection, or 9 at Morgan where you have to do a risk/reward assessment to take on the difficult green and risk bringing pond right into play. Just short and narrow, I think I only hit driver on 1 and 9 (the first par 5 hole #4 with the 3 sections is a fun hole however).  I also didn't care for how the tee boxes were so close to the green on so many holes, as if they didn't have quite enough space for the course.  The back 9 was certainly more interesting, but as a whole I was flabbergasted how this course ranks so high, save for the gorgeous views.  My playing partner and I said the closest course we would compare it to was some combination of the Swaneset 36.  That is not a compliment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Beav said:

Also, here's a wildly unpopular take - #13 at Morgan stinks [ducks for cover]. 

It's only a good risk/reward hole for 1-2 months a year when the fairway gets baked and drives can bounce down the speed slot onto the upslope (super long hitters being the exception).  For the rest of us, having 235-255 off a downslope into a green with no bailout long and a hazard 1 yard off the front is impossible.  So it's a 3 shot hole where your 2nd shot is completely a throw away shot.  Usually a choppy little 6i down the hill for me.

That said, I think #2 is a fabulous par 5.  That maple tree/bunker combo short left of the green is an absolute destroyer of souls.  If not going for it the layup needs to navigate the lateral hazard across the fairway and the bunker on the right, where the best angle into the green is.

I love the tee shot on 13, particularly as someone who fades the ball.  I did eagle the hole the last time I played, but it was the first time I was able to go for the green this season (probably 8th round of the season, medium/long hitter), but otherwise yes it's generally a 3 shot hole.  #2 is an awesome hole, that maple/bunker short left certainly gives you a sober second thought about going for the green for two unless you've really placed your tee shot well (as in not bunkers right, my favorite spot!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KBong said:

#17 is a good pseudo island green and a great hole that could ruin a score late in the rd.

#11 is just bomb and gouge...it's just length.....no real stress on the drive or approach shot.

#13 at MC.....not much stress on the drive and 2nd shot.......approach can be a bit tricky dependant on pin placement.

No question MC has the best conditions for a public course in the GVRD.

But I don't like the housing on some holes.

IMO...from the tips.....if we are talking about difficulty of holes in the GVRD for public courses...some of these for me come to mind:

Par 3: #12 Fraserview, #13 McCleery

Par 5: Swaneset...Resort #1, #10....Links #2.

17 Canal is a great hole, I really like the stretch from 14-18

11 RW is enjoyable as one of only a handful of holes on that course that you can really let the driver rip with any margin for error.  Tee shot is straight forward, but the approach is quite nicely framed by the tall trees surrounding the green, and it often has the back left pin tucked on that little shelf that requires a nice baby draw in, which I can luckily hit once every 4 or 5 attempts lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KBong said:

Par 3: #12 Fraserview, #13 McCleery

Par 5: Swaneset...Resort #1, #10....Links #2.

I had a really tough time thinking of a par 4. I agree 11 at Redwoods isn't as great strategy wise of the tee, but it does require a good second shot with the trees surrounding the green. Visually I like that hole. I really agree with 14 at BM, that is a real deal golf hole. One of the toughest around for sure. Now that I think of it, 10 at Fraserview is a great par 4. That would be my #1.

I think one of the reasons golf is great, is everyone experiences each hole differently depending on their ability. A hole that may seem boring to some is great for others. Why I love 13 at MC so much is because of the great risk reward and the overall aesthetics on both tee shot and approach are amazing. Requires a shaped tee shot and then a nice mid-iron to long-iron into the green over the hazard with a tightly mown surrounding area. If my drive is in play I will always go for it, and in my opinion, a good risk reward par 5 is usually the highlight hole of the round.

Resort #1 is good. Probably a little too long to get to in 2, but a good 3 shot hole. Not a fan of #2 at Links though. Way too tight where my driver would land, so it's a 3 shot hole basically with two layups which I'm not a huge fan of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jordan_mccomb said:

I had a really tough time thinking of a par 4. I agree 11 at Redwoods isn't as great strategy wise of the tee, but it does require a good second shot with the trees surrounding the green. Visually I like that hole. I really agree with 14 at BM, that is a real deal golf hole. One of the toughest around for sure. Now that I think of it, 10 at Fraserview is a great par 4. That would be my #1.

I think one of the reasons golf is great, is everyone experiences each hole differently depending on their ability. A hole that may seem boring to some is great for others. Why I love 13 at MC so much is because of the great risk reward and the overall aesthetics on both tee shot and approach are amazing. Requires a shaped tee shot and then a nice mid-iron to long-iron into the green over the hazard with a tightly mown surrounding area. If my drive is in play I will always go for it, and in my opinion, a good risk reward par 5 is usually the highlight hole of the round.

Resort #1 is good. Probably a little too long to get to in 2, but a good 3 shot hole. Not a fan of #2 at Links though. Way too tight where my driver would land, so it's a 3 shot hole basically with two layups which I'm not a huge fan of.

The angle of the green to the fairway on #10 at FV is what makes it. If it was just straight in line, it wouldn't have the same feel. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Phireside said:

The angle of the green to the fairway on #10 at FV is what makes it. If it was just straight in line, it wouldn't have the same feel. 

I like the 10th hole, though sadly at age 70 1/2  my days reaching it in reg may be  done.

Downhill 11 however is still a fun driving hole  (as one of my playing partners said today) if not one of the great par 4 holes I guess. It is still a reachable  challenge for  some of the senior guys I play with from whites to reach in reg, especially against the wind like today (did it,  yay!). The mound in front can make it interesting to get to a pin position. Earlier this year I had an easy gap wedge to the green after I overcooked my draw tee shot and the cartpath took it well down the hole, and ending in the center of the fairway. Just missed the bird unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myspinonit said:

I like the 10th hole, though sadly at age 70 1/2  my days reaching it in reg may be  done.

Downhill 11 however is still a fun driving hole  (as one of my playing partners said today) if not one of the great par 4 holes I guess. It is still a reachable  challenge for  some of the senior guys I play with from whites to reach in reg, especially against the wind like today (did it,  yay!). The mound in front can make it interesting to get to a pin position. Earlier this year I had an easy gap wedge to the green after I overcooked my draw tee shot and the cartpath took it well down the hole, and ending in the center of the fairway. Just missed the bird unfortunately.

I had a great time out there today. Played like junk as I have been all year, but really enjoyed it. First time out at FV this year. I royally misjudged the wind off the tee on 11 and left myself with a ton in and snapped it left of the green.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jordan_mccomb said:

I think one of the reasons golf is great, is everyone experiences each hole differently depending on their ability. A hole that may seem boring to some is great for others. 

Agree.

You are a longer hitter so you like the risk/reward of #13 at MC.

But 95% of all golfers likely can't get there in 2....so it's a 3 shot hole and the hole is just boring because of it and the housing on the left side is unappealing.

• Like 1

IMO....#10 at Fraserview is kinda boring....no stress off the tee and no stress on the approach to the green.

It's only difficulty is it's length...especially from the yellow tees.

Fraserview is esthetically a nice course...but IMO....it's not stressful off the tee.....and because of this....it's a course where I generally have my highest GIR %age.

IMO....#10 at McCleery is a tougher hole than #10 at Fraserview.

Tougher tee shot...OB left...tree right....a long elevated approach shot and a really tricky green

IMO.....McCleery is a tougher test of golf vs. Fraserview.

15-20  years ago....Fraserview had one of the better winter drainage public course conditions....now it's not great and the drainage needs to be updated but the city has no money.

The city of Burnaby spent the money on drainage at BM & Riverway and it has paid dividends.

Played Northlands today. First time this year and first time since moving and making it my nearest course. I really cannot like the place. I'm just far too inconsistent off the tee for this course to make it somewhat fun, and I do find the ups, downs, and blind shots all a bit much.

I will say the greens were in great shape but rolling a bit slow.

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

Played Northlands today. First time this year and first time since moving and making it my nearest course. I really cannot like the place. I'm just far too inconsistent off the tee for this course to make it somewhat fun, and I do find the ups, downs, and blind shots all a bit much.

I will say the greens were in great shape but rolling a bit slow.

Not really for me either and I would not walk it anymore either.  My aging memory says it was a really rough track when it first opened up. 

Northlands is definitely a course that needs to be one of your regulars or don't play: I'm in the don't play camp after a few goes.

Too many prescribed shots and blind/obscured shots, combined with the elevation changes to make it a place you can just turn up and shoot your cap.

Redwoods, Sandpiper, and Ridge (ok the trees aren't really in play much) handle elevation changes and trees way way better IMHO.

• Like 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Anyone know when us USA folks can travel to Whistler? I haven't been keeping up on the Covid rules for BC.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Northlands is the closest public course to me...I've played it many times...but only twice in the last 10 years.

I don't care for all the severe uneven lies.

I don't like cart golf....yes....Northlands is walkable and I walk it...but the uphill holes are a bit cumbersome.

No question....it's such a picturesque course.

In recent years, they've done a good job on conditions....20 years ago it was only kinda playable in July & Aug.

I think they also do 6 holes at a time on aeration.

They also do a good job at marshalling. 

I've been a loyal Musqueam range visitor all my golfing life, but no longer live within a reasonable distance to hit balls there. I'm in the North Shore now and thinking about winter practice. Pretty sure the two ranges here are not heated. 

Can we get a list going of heated ranges? I'm only familiar with Musqueam.

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

I've been a loyal Musqueam range visitor all my golfing life, but no longer live within a reasonable distance to hit balls there. I'm in the North Shore now and thinking about winter practice. Pretty sure the two ranges here are not heated. 

Can we get a list going of heated ranges? I'm only familiar with Musqueam.

I also live on the North Shore.

Seymour Creek & Takaya are not worth it due to poor range balls....but Takaya is better IMO.

Burnaby Mountain is worth the extra drive.

Superior range, range balls and heated in the winter...also has chipping and putting areas too...nuff said.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Phireside said:

@KBong Didn't know burnaby mountain was heated. I go to Takaya now as my regular. They have lots of new balls in the mix now. Still a mix, but not a bucket full of smooth balls. About 2 weeks ago my bucket was about 80% new, yesterday maybe 60%.

Didn't know they got new range balls....as you said...the old balls have no dimples....lol.

FYI....Burnaby & Riverway in the past...used to still open if there is a bit of snow on the ground too....they'll shut it down if the run out of range balls because they have to be hand picked in the snow.

Supposedly both ranges have 40000+ range balls???

14 hours ago, Phireside said:

@KBong Didn't know burnaby mountain was heated. I go to Takaya now as my regular. They have lots of new balls in the mix now. Still a mix, but not a bucket full of smooth balls. About 2 weeks ago my bucket was about 80% new, yesterday maybe 60%.

That doesn't sound much different than Musqueum or University or MCCleery for that matter.