2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pasatiempo

gambit

Playing Pasatiempo on Tuesday. Unfortunately the temporary tees will be in effect on a few holes but still can't wait to play it. Will be at TPC Harding park Monday, spyglass on Friday and hopefully pebble beach on Thursday or Saturday. And a couple hockey games in between. Go Sharks!

Have you played any of those tracks before?

Nope, first time going to California.

Excellent, you're going to a beautiful place! Depending on how your schedule fills out another good option in the area is Bayonet. Anyways you'll have a great time, enjoy yourself!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Its a shame they are doing all those renovations. I planned on playing there for the third straight Thanksgiving day, but I think I will go somewhere else instead. Probably will go to Bayonet of Half Moon Bay instead.

They’re supposed to be done with the renovation by the end of November, last I checked, so I think it’s worth it to check the course status a week or so before you’re planning on playing. It’s certainly possible the renovation *could* be done by Thanksgiving. Unlikely but possible.

Its a shame they are doing all those renovations. I planned on playing there for the third straight Thanksgiving day, but I think I will go somewhere else instead. Probably will go to Bayonet of Half Moon Bay instead.

They’re supposed to be done with the renovation by the end of November, last I checked, so I think it’s worth it to check the course status a week or so before you’re planning on playing. It’s certainly possible the renovation *could* be done by Thanksgiving. Unlikely but possible.

Thanks for the heads up I just assumed the renovations were going to take a while. If most of the course plays the way it should I will pay some turkey day golf. Pasa is easily the best course I have played since moving to CA over three years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked my tee time as a single for turkey day at 11:00am. I got a hot time for 150.00 and the other three spots are still available, so skip the dry turkey and join me!!!! This is my third straight year playing Pasa on turkey day.

Just booked that time as well. Was originally going to play Coyote Creek, but I've been wanting to play this course for awhile now, and I can't miss the opportunity to play Pasatiempo!

Titleist TSi3 9* | Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 70 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke ◆◆◆ 3 wood 15* | Project X Denali Black 70 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19* | Mitsubishi Tensei 1k Black 85tx

Callaway Apex TCB 21' 4-A | KBS $-Taper S+

Callaway Jaws 54* S-Grind | True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Z-GrindTrue Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Taylormade Spider X 

Fantastic! Looking forward to meeting you. You should probably know I am a hardcore Boston Bruins fan so we can talk hockey as well. I am going to see the B's play Anaheim, L.A., San Jose, and Vegas on their road trip in February.

November is the busiest time of the year for me at work and I have worked 56 hours of OT since the beginning of the month. I have not played since Oct 27th so I am very much looking forward to Thursday.

Fantastic! Looking forward to meeting you. You should probably know I am a hardcore Boston Bruins fan so we can talk hockey as well. I am going to see the B's play Anaheim, L.A., San Jose, and Vegas on their road trip in February.

November is the busiest time of the year for me at work and I have worked 56 hours of OT since the beginning of the month. I have not played since Oct 27th so I am very much looking forward to Thursday.

Looking forward to playing with you. I'll apologize in advance since you get to listen to me whine about how bad the Ducks are this year :swoon2:

It's been a few weeks since I've been on a course too, so this may get interesting lol

Taylormade Spider X 

Played Pasa yesterday and I can confirm the renovation is complete. Course is PURE. Played with a member that told me this is the best condition the course has been in for quite some time.

2nd straight round that I’ve hit #3 in regulation - should be some sort of record, lol. Left my birdie putt on the lip. I’ll blame the miss on the greens running slower than usual? We’ve just had a bunch of rain in NorCal the past week, but the course is also draining nicely. Now is def the time to go!

Played Pasa yesterday and I can confirm the renovation is complete. Course is PURE. Played with a member that told me this is the best condition the course has been in for quite some time.

2nd straight round that I’ve hit #3 in regulation - should be some sort of record, lol. Left my birdie putt on the lip. I’ll blame the miss on the greens running slower than usual? We’ve just had a bunch of rain in NorCal the past week, but the course is also draining nicely. Now is def the time to go!

Thanks for the update. I have a time on Sunday for my first visit and can’t wait!

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

Played on Thursday, and the course was absolutely pristine. It was my first time at Pasa, but I can't wait to go back and give it another go. I decided to walk (with a cart), and I logged about 7.5-8 miles. But walking was definitely the best way to enjoy the course.

Greens were rolling very smooth, and were diabolical. Make sure to leave putts going uphill, or you'll be 3 putting all day long.

The best part of the course for me was that every hole was completely different. Every hole was fair, and good shots were rewarded...but bad shots could lead to bogies + very very very quickly. I definitely can't wait to go back.

Pictures don't do this course justice, but I snapped a few along the way.

44199044680_2d8ccc6ea4_b.jpg

44199047220_1e08b24825_b.jpg

31125729347_7ff9afe102_b.jpg

44199048840_1b247f2c5b_b.jpg

44199046480_2a8035d510_b.jpg

44248497880_a6b3e3f09c_b.jpg

Taylormade Spider X 

Played on Thursday, and the course was absolutely pristine. It was my first time at Pasa, but I can't wait to go back and give it another go. I decided to walk (with a cart), and I logged about 7.5-8 miles. But walking was definitely the best way to enjoy the course.

Greens were rolling very smooth, and were diabolical. Make sure to leave putts going uphill, or you'll be 3 putting all day long.

The best part of the course for me was that every hole was completely different. Every hole was fair, and good shots were rewarded...but bad shots could lead to bogies + very very very quickly. I definitely can't wait to go back.

Pictures don't do this course justice, but I snapped a few along the way.

Great pictures! Exactly as I recall. I've stopped taking pictures during my rounds there since I remember getting caught up my 1st time there and I totally lost track of my game, lol.

For those wondering, pace of play was great even on a Saturday AM, so we were not waiting at all at any point and played in slightly under 4 hours. It's such a great piece of property, I should just walk it one day with no clubs and just take my camera.

Another thing to note - you'll notice a good amount of areas that are recently sprigged/seeded (any aspiring Carl Spackler's can correct my terminology) that look like bare spots. #3/4, #6 tee, 9, 11/12 come to mind - they're not in places were you should ever find your ball coming to rest (hopefully). These are new "native grass" areas that will take a little bit of time to grow in. They were put down right before the rainy season, so by springtime I'm sure they will grow in nicely.

• 5 weeks later...

I just teed off at Pasatiempo this past weekend and the course is as beautiful as everybody here says it is.

It's a tough course but it's also laid out beautifully and the course plays a LOT longer than the yardage states.

However, I personally do not think it's worth the full price of $285 a tee time. The course was nice and all but at $285, I expected more.

Of course I wasn't expecting Augusta National or Cypress Point or anything but the course was margainally better than TPC Harding that I also played this past weekend.

Also, I was very disappointed with the golf range (it may have possibly been one of the worst, if not the worst ranges I have ever been to).

Alister McKenzie did a beautiful job on the course and it is maintained well but I would not go at $285 but I may possibly go back for $150ish.

I just teed off at Pasatiempo this past weekend and the course is as beautiful as everybody here says it is.

It's a tough course but it's also laid out beautifully and the course plays a LOT longer than the yardage states.

However, I personally do not think it's worth the full price of $285 a tee time. The course was nice and all but at $285, I expected more.

Of course I wasn't expecting Augusta National or Cypress Point or anything but the course was margainally better than TPC Harding that I also played this past weekend.

Also, I was very disappointed with the golf range (it may have possibly been one of the worst, if not the worst ranges I have ever been to).

Alister McKenzie did a beautiful job on the course and it is maintained well but I would not go at $285 but I may possibly go back for $150ish.

The course is awesome. But, I agree, they exploit the McKenzie name.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

TBF it is a private club allowing public play at certain times - using the format common in the UK - so they can peg them where they want, without the concerns of a daily fee course.

If you think of what their green fee is versus Pebble Beach Resort courses, Monterey privates, and SF privates, it's probably just about right. And I assume they catch a lot of out of town visitors who are playing those courses, making the drive between the two areas.

I can understand your POV, but I don't think their marker for where they set their rates is something like Harding or Presidio (who's rack rates I do think are silly). They're taking their lead off the "top whatever" courses.

All that said, like you I wouldn't drop $285 ($260 actually) there, and living in the Bay Area I've been able to take advantage of booking with little notice and getting prices that start with a 1 instead of a 2.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

What course doesn't? Isn't that the point of getting a name brand designer.

Pretty sure I paid $170 a couple months ago...worth every penny!

Yup. Day/time dependent, but it is easy to get a green fee between $150-195 there.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

What course doesn't? Isn't that the point of getting a name brand designer.

BTW, there are several very affordable options of Alister MacKenzie designed golf courses in northern California alone. Northwoods, Haggin Oaks, Healdsburg, and Sharp Park just to name a few.

Everyone of those courses is proud to advertise themselves as a MacKenzie design as is every other course he designed I would guess.

One thing that's tough for a lot of players to wrap their head around is that when golf was a fledgling sport many of these "top designers" worked collaboratively for very little design fee. MacKenzie, Hunter, Maxwell and Chan Egan (who was a top player of the era and a "mentee" of the good doctor) worked together extensively. Incidentally, both MacKenzie and Egan died due to health problems that many accredited to the rigors of travel in that era and a passion for a craft that required a lot of travel.

Nowadays with our access to information and analytical nature courses are documented every single change and who made them meanwhile, in the 20's I think they simply decided by proxy if the change would be more strategic and enjoyable to the expert while not making the hole unplayable for the hack whether that came from the groundskeeper, recommendations of the members or tournament committee, or an architect was of little importance. Supposedly MacKenzie and Egan reworked the bunker complexes before the US Amateur at PB in the year of the stock market crash, 1929. Many golf historians say that their work is the most significant "look" of modern day PBGL other than the routing.

hard to justify a price to others as i've learned;

it's worth it to me; there's not much of mackenzie at augusta but they proudly call it his. try getting on an unaccompanied at one of the clubs in monterey; it starts with a 1 but it's MORE than the 2 you pay for at pasatiempo

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm taking a quick trip down to Carmel and booked a stay and play at Quail Lodge. We have an opportunity to play Pasatiempo on April 29th. Green fees are only $135. Greenskeeper.org says aeration is scheduled 4/23-4/24, leaving only 5 days of recovery before we play. I'm assuming the worst and don't think the greens will be in decent condition. Looking for advice as to whether we should still play or look elsewhere, perhaps Bayonet/Black Horse. I think max budget for the round would be $175-$200 range. Thanks!

> @rollin said:

> I'm taking a quick trip down to Carmel and booked a stay and play at Quail Lodge. We have an opportunity to play Pasatiempo on April 29th. Green fees are only $135. Greenskeeper.org says aeration is scheduled 4/23-4/24, leaving only 5 days of recovery before we play. I'm assuming the worst and don't think the greens will be in decent condition. Looking for advice as to whether we should still play or look elsewhere, perhaps Bayonet/Black Horse. I think max budget for the round would be $175-$200 range. Thanks!

Play elsewhere...the head pro said it will still be bump and it's a full punch...tee boxes, fws and greens.