2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pasatiempo

gambit

• 1 month later...

Wanting to play Pasatiempo on Oct 12 in the morning, but I am seeing a 'course advisory' on GolfNow. Wondering what a course advisory is since I can't find any other info on GolfNow about the advisory. Does anybody have a clue?

I don't have an answer but I hope you get to play the track. Wonderful course. Have you been before?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Wanting to play Pasatiempo on Oct 12 in the morning, but I am seeing a 'course advisory' on GolfNow. Wondering what a course advisory is since I can't find any other info on GolfNow about the advisory. Does anybody have a clue?

They're doing some serious maintenance. You should take a pass this trip, eventhough their prices are in the mid $100s.

Per greenskeeper.org: ALERT: Aeration

Will be aerating the greens 9/24 - 9/27 and then working on 3 to 4 tee boxes a day renovating until November 30

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I don't have an answer but I hope you get to play the track. Wonderful course. Have you been before?

I haven't played it before and was really looking forward to it. Will be playing with my father and it would have been really nice, but sounds like they are doing some major maintenance.

They're doing some serious maintenance. You should take a pass this trip, eventhough their prices are in the mid $100s.

Will be aerating the greens 9/24 - 9/27 and then working on 3 to 4 tee boxes a day renovating until November 30

Thanks for the heads up. I guess we'll have to wait until next time.

just booked for end of october, hoping the tee box renovations aren't too big of a deal. fingers crossed.

Playing it this Saturday. I am aware of the renovations but the rates are half price. I am in San Jose for the day on the way to Hawaii so not making a special trip for this other than the drive down to Santa Cruz.

I'll try to remember to report back.

The drive from San Jose to Santa Cruz is very nice. Traffic is hit or miss though.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Playing it this Saturday. I am aware of the renovations but the rates are half price. I am in San Jose for the day on the way to Hawaii so not making a special trip for this other than the drive down to Santa Cruz.

I'll try to remember to report back.

The drive from San Jose to Santa Cruz is very nice. Traffic is hit or miss though.

If you play during the week and finish your round during rush hour be prepared for madness on 101.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I played today (10/3). Go go go go.

This was my third time playing the course over the years, and I can honestly say that I never noticed the greens. I played with a member that said they were a little softer and slower, but that’s it. Very little visual clues.

The temporary tees were on 1, 2, 3 (thank goodness!), and 9. It took the teeth out of the first three and made 9 a par 4.

For half price, it is a no brainer. Such a fun place to experience, but it will eat you alive if you stray from the fairway or miss greens in the wrong place.

Ok I'll risk being called a blasphemer. I've only played Pasatiempo once and it was during the drought. I liked the course but didn't love it. And certainly didn't $250-love it!

I just don't think all the stories about 4-putting, putting off the green, chipping three times from the same place, etc., are good things. I think those are bad stories. I guess this means I don't like Mackenzie that much. And yes, I feel blasphemous when during the Masters, someone hits a near-perfect putt, and it ends up going into the water and I say, That's stupid! I actually love watching the Masters. And I know it's ok to think it's stupid when the USGA does that at the Open. But I still feel like a sinner when I think that about Augusta National! :taunt:

Ok I'll risk being called a blasphemer. I've only played Pasatiempo once and it was during the drought. I liked the course but didn't love it. And certainly didn't $250-love it!

I just don't think all the stories about 4-putting, putting off the green, chipping three times from the same place, etc., are good things. I think those are bad stories. I guess this means I don't like Mackenzie that much. And yes, I feel blasphemous when during the Masters, someone hits a near-perfect putt, and it ends up going into the water and I say, That's stupid! I actually love watching the Masters. And I know it's ok to think it's stupid when the USGA does that at the Open. But I still feel like a sinner when I think that about Augusta National! :taunt:

Nothing wrong with having a different take on something. I played it and payed full price partially because I got tee times almost a year in advance. Did that because it was part of our Pebble trip and we didn't want to take any chances on not getting to play Pasa. Was probably a little much but I absolutely loved the course and would play it again in a heartbeat. We played it last October and conditions were absolutely perfect when we played, both the course and the weather.

The first time I played it was during the drought too. Fairways were basically dirt. The only green were the greens. Because of that I didn't understand the hype. Well, I went back once the conditions were back and the drought was over. It's a totally different course and pretty darn incredible. I don't think I've ever 4-putted or putted off the green at Pas, but I have hit what I thought were good shots, but where it landed would roll it back off the front.

• 2 weeks later...

I played today (10/3). Go go go go.

This was my third time playing the course over the years, and I can honestly say that I never noticed the greens. I played with a member that said they were a little softer and slower, but that's it. Very little visual clues.

The temporary tees were on 1, 2, 3 (thank goodness!), and 9. It took the teeth out of the first three and made 9 a par 4.

For half price, it is a no brainer. Such a fun place to experience, but it will eat you alive if you stray from the fairway or miss greens in the wrong place.

Played on 10/6 and can confirm all of this is accurate. Greens were in great shape.

It was actually fairly windy the day I played and made some holes much more difficult - 11 comes to mind as just being brutal, long par 4 uphill into the wind. Put my second shot in one of the bunkers on the back side of the green and hit what I thought was a pretty good bunker shot, and it rolled all the way off the front of the green. So I guess those stories are true.

For half price it was a great decision. I'd play again for the full rate.

Played Pasatiempo today (10/19) exactly 2 years after playing in a monsoon so of course the weather was perfect this time - 80* with very little wind. But the temporary tee situation definitely made things, um, interesting. So the renovation is in full swing, and every tee on the front 9 either has an artificial mat on one of the regular tees (1, 2, 3, 8, 9) or the tees have been moved WAY up, like to where juniors might tee off in a US Kids event (4, 5, 6, 7, 10). So 4, 7, 10 were all drivable, and 5 & 8 played comically short (60 yds and 120 yds respectively). I didn’t know it was going to be quite like that. Mixed emotions for sure, but it was enjoyable.

The back 9 (except 10) played true to form, and I have to say the course recovered quite well from the aeration and was in great shape. Greens, fairways and rough were all very healthy - rough was maybe too healthy in some spots, lol. When the tee renovation is complete it will be perfect.

Anecdotally, I *finally* hit the green on #3. Played about 220 uphill, pin in the back. New P790 4 iron was like a laser right at the flag. 20 ft uphill, 2 putt par. Wow that made the hole play a lot easier, lol. Slight asterisk since it was off a mat where the regular tee would be but I managed to get the tee/ball to the height it would normally be on grass.

Anyway, I love the course, but it was a little disappointing seeing SO many temporary tees and mats - I thought it was only gonna be a handful of holes, not 10. I could play this course from the ladies tees and it would still be enjoyable, but will definitely plan on going back when the reno is complete. Maybe I can talk them into a discounted rate next time, lol.

Played Pasatiempo today (10/19) exactly 2 years after playing in a monsoon so of course the weather was perfect this time - 80* with very little wind. But the temporary tee situation definitely made things, um, interesting. So the renovation is in full swing, and every tee on the front 9 either has an artificial mat on one of the regular tees (1, 2, 3, 8, 9) or the tees have been moved WAY up, like to where juniors might tee off in a US Kids event (4, 5, 6, 7, 10). So 4, 7, 10 were all drivable, and 5 & 8 played comically short (60 yds and 120 yds respectively). I didn’t know it was going to be quite like that. Mixed emotions for sure, but it was enjoyable.

The back 9 (except 10) played true to form, and I have to say the course recovered quite well from the aeration and was in great shape. Greens, fairways and rough were all very healthy - rough was maybe too healthy in some spots, lol. When the tee renovation is complete it will be perfect.

Anecdotally, I *finally* hit the green on #3. Played about 220 uphill, pin in the back. New P790 4 iron was like a laser right at the flag. 20 ft uphill, 2 putt par. Wow that made the hole play a lot easier, lol. Slight asterisk since it was off a mat where the regular tee would be but I managed to get the tee/ball to the height it would normally be on grass.

Anyway, I love the course, but it was a little disappointing seeing SO many temporary tees and mats - I thought it was only gonna be a handful of holes, not 10. I could play this course from the ladies tees and it would still be enjoyable, but will definitely plan on going back when the reno is complete. Maybe I can talk them into a discounted rate next time, lol.

I thought I hit a perfect 4-iron to a front flag. Hit the false front and ran 15 yards down the hill. Probably the best struck shot I hit all day, lol.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I thought I hit a perfect 4-iron to a front flag. Hit the false front and ran 15 yards down the hill. Probably the best struck shot I hit all day, lol.

For the record, I’ve done this same thing on this hole before too. The only place I haven’t been on this hole is long (and on the green before yesterday!) Always good to see when you pick up a new club for a specific shot in mind and you actually pull it off. Made my round.

For the record, I’ve done this same thing on this hole before too. The only place I haven’t been on this hole is long (and on the green before yesterday!) Always good to see when you pick up a new club for a specific shot in mind and you actually pull it off. Made my round.

I only played Pasa once. A couple of shots I had were “one yard from perfect” that ended up between 10 and 20 yards from where the shot landed. Need to be precise to have a chance there - at least that was my experience.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

i too played pasatiempo for the 1st time on 10/19, and can relate to you on the temp tees. what my buddy and i did on the front 9 was treat the first par 5 as a long par 4, and we did forced layups off a couple tees to try and simulate the real approach shot experience. i think we hit 6 irons off the 4th tee and 8 irons off the 7th tee (maybe reversed there?) to hit full approaches into those greens. for the par 3s, there was nothing we could do obviously but they didn't make the pins much easier. on 10, we hit 190-220 yard clubs, no drivers/3w's allowed there. place is awesome regardless. wouldve been nice to play 5, 8 and 10 from real distances but such is life.

i too played pasatiempo for the 1st time on 10/19, and can relate to you on the temp tees. what my buddy and i did on the front 9 was treat the first par 5 as a long par 4, and we did forced layups off a couple tees to try and simulate the real approach shot experience. i think we hit 6 irons off the 4th tee and 8 irons off the 7th tee (maybe reversed there?) to hit full approaches into those greens. for the par 3s, there was nothing we could do obviously but they didn't make the pins much easier. on 10, we hit 190-220 yard clubs, no drivers/3w's allowed there. place is awesome regardless. wouldve been nice to play 5, 8 and 10 from real distances but such is life.

I actually did this exact same thing - or at least I tried to maintain the shot values on the first few temp tees/holes. Layup with a 9i on #4 to give me what my "usual" yardage to the hole would've been with a driver (short wedge) and layup with a long iron on 6. But I lost my patience on 7 and just took driver to try and drive the green, lol. Didn't wind up too bad pin high right - chip + 2 putt par.

The bright side, I know a member who felt my pain about the temporary tees, so he's invited me to come back at the guest rate later in the year, after the reno is complete, which is significantly less than the rack rate (~1/4 the regular rate). So it wasn't a complete loss (and I'd still probably do it again).

P.S. Are you a Knicks fan @bnr204? I think we connected on Twitter a while ago (I'm @notdrj). Small world this golf universe! lol

Playing Pasatiempo on Tuesday. Unfortunately the temporary tees will be in effect on a few holes but still can't wait to play it. Will be at TPC Harding park Monday, spyglass on Friday and hopefully pebble beach on Thursday or Saturday. And a couple hockey games in between. Go Sharks!

Have you played any of those tracks before?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Playing Pasatiempo on Tuesday. Unfortunately the temporary tees will be in effect on a few holes but still can't wait to play it. Will be at TPC Harding park Monday, spyglass on Friday and hopefully pebble beach on Thursday or Saturday. And a couple hockey games in between. Go Sharks!

Have you played any of those tracks before?

Nope, first time going to California.