2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pasatiempo

gambit

Easily top 10 in Cali, holes 10-11 have to be 2 of the toughest back to back holes I've ever played and one of the best logo's in golf.

Well worth the green fees!

Played it this past weekend and it was in great shape as they were getting it ready for a college tourney this weekend. I won't say what my score was lol. I forgot about the 237 yard uphill par 3 with the false front, and multiple bunkers. The first cut was deep enough to lose balls. The native tall grass that runs along the rough were cut down so you definitely can't find a ball in there. Thank God I brought enough lol.

Hole #3. Brutal hole. Last time I played it, I hit the green, which is a driver for me, and my ball was in the middle of the green. I was thrilled. Putted my ball toward the front pin placement and my ball rolled off the green and down the false front 10 yards off the green. I chipped up and watched the ball roll back to my feet. I pitched up again and 2 putted for a triple. First time in my life I ever hit a par 3 in reg and walked away with a triple bogey. Some of the most devilish green complexes I've ever played.

Easily top 10 in Cali, holes 10-11 have to be 2 of the toughest back to back holes I've ever played and one of the best logo's in golf.

Played it this past weekend and it was in great shape as they were getting it ready for a college tourney this weekend. I won't say what my score was lol. I forgot about the 237 yard uphill par 3 with the false front, and multiple bunkers. The first cut was deep enough to lose balls. The native tall grass that runs along the rough were cut down so you definitely can't find a ball in there. Thank God I brought enough lol.

Hole #3. Brutal hole. Last time I played it, I hit the green, which is a driver for me, and my ball was in the middle of the green. I was thrilled. Putted my ball toward the front pin placement and my ball rolled off the green and down the false front 10 yards off the green. I chipped up and watched the ball roll back to my feet. I pitched up again and 2 putted for a triple. First time in my life I ever hit a par 3 in reg and walked away with a triple bogey. Some of the most devilish green complexes I've ever played.

Last time I played there I made the most unorthodox par on 3 ever. I fatted a hybrid short of the fairway bunker that is like 120 off the tee and should never be in play lol. Hit full 52 from 110 to a back right pin. Wedge ended up 3 feet made a tricky little slider for 3. The member I was playing with was just shaking his head and said well that is one way to make a 3 that I have never seen on this hole.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Last time I played there I made the most unorthodox par on 3 ever. I fatted a hybrid short of the fairway bunker that is like 120 off the tee and should never be in play lol. Hit full 52 from 110 to a back right pin. Wedge ended up 3 feet made a tricky little slider for 3. The member I was playing with was just shaking his head and said well that is one way to make a 3 that I have never seen on this hole.

It's been a while since I was there so hopefully I'm remembering correctly. Par three with a very, very deep and uphill green?

Greens were very slow the day we played. The pin was all the way back and I hit it on the very front edge. I couldn't hit my putt hard enough to get to the back tier. I think I four putted that green.

It's been a while since I was there so hopefully I'm remembering correctly. Par three with a very, very deep and uphill green?

Greens were very slow the day we played. The pin was all the way back and I hit it on the very front edge. I couldn't hit my putt hard enough to get to the back tier. I think I four putted that green.

The long 220+ yarder up the hill

522c1b8d_48885.jpeg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

As one of the lucky guys who will be joining gambit on this little jaunt, I can't say how excited I am to tee it up at Pasatiempo for the first time.

I'll have one of the good cameras with me, so we'll see if we can post up some good drool-worthy stuff from the round.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The long 220+ yarder up the hill

522c1b8d_48885.jpeg

That's the hole lol. It probably played about 250 that day. 237 to the flag, uphill, slight wind in our face. All that native grass on the left side was about 8-10 inches tall with all of the clippings on top of it. I made the luckiest bogey on that hole after hitting into that stuff. I've seen guys putting downhill and end up all the way past the greenside bunkers. Actually One Putt, the way you made par is what I've heard members say is the easiest way to do it and avoid a big number by trying to hit a wood off the tee and risk being in the junk or in the bunkers. Hit it into the fairway, wedge it close if you can, and One Putt...not the chunk part tho lol.

Pasatiempo is one of my favorite courses anywhere and I even prefer it to Pebble and Spyglass among the other northern California greats. It has been a while since I played it as I don't get out to that area as often.

Slow greens? It has been over a decade since I played it, but my recollection was always somewhere in the 9-10 range and smooth. Then there was one time I played it the day after a tournament (I believe it was an NCAA or USGA tournament) and the greens were probably rolling 13-14. Worse, the greens were rocks so holding them was basically impossible. It was as close to a US Open setup as I've played on. I believe I shot 12ish shots worse than my prior worst at Pasa that day and I was playing well. It was exhausting.

Although it doesn't get the publicity of some other courses, it is worth the money. With that said, I think I played in sometime in the mid 90s for around $60. Of course I also played Pebble for under $200 and even got on twilight there for around $100 IIRC. Times change.

That's the hole lol. It probably played about 250 that day. 237 to the flag, uphill, slight wind in our face. All that native grass on the left side was about 8-10 inches tall with all of the clippings on top of it. I made the luckiest bogey on that hole after hitting into that stuff. I've seen guys putting downhill and end up all the way past the greenside bunkers. Actually One Putt, the way you made par is what I've heard members say is the easiest way to do it and avoid a big number by trying to hit a wood off the tee and risk being in the junk or in the bunkers. Hit it into the fairway, wedge it close if you can, and One Putt...not the chunk part tho lol.

My initial plan was to play a little cut hybrid off the left greenside bunker which would not have made it back to the pin and likely been fairway short but given me a lot of green to work with and avoid all the major trouble

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

My initial plan was to play a little cut hybrid off the left greenside bunker which would not have made it back to the pin and likely been fairway short but given me a lot of green to work with and avoid all the major trouble

I think that's the way to go at it. I went with 6i and put it in the left junk. Wedged it out to left greenside bunker. Had a horrible lie. Ball was by the back lip on a downhill lie in the bunker. I had one foot in and one foot out. Got real steep and prayed. Hit the lip of the front bunker and trickled to 3'. Good bogey lol.

I would love to play that course. Definitely on the bucket list. Golfholics on youtube have a pretty good vlog of it.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

Really infuriates me that they are coring next week. My only chance to play would be the first day that the course is back up and running which would be a waste by the sounds. An excuse to come back and experience what looks like a heck of a course.

That sucks, but if you're visiting you may want to check out Carmel Valley Ranch. It's a beautiful resort with great food. Course is a Pete Dye course. I've played it. It can be difficult if the rough is grown out. Here's a link to a really discounted rate.

https://golfmoose.com/product/carmel-valley-ranch/

Sounds almost exactly like what I did the last time I played 3. 5wd into the Bunker. Got out of bunker only to have my ball roll down the false front. Got too delicate with my pitch shot only to have it roll back down towards me. Hit my second pitch shot way to far and then 2 putted. Like others here, my buddy played that hole to leave it about 50 yards short, pitched it to about 8 feet and made the putt for par.

Funny hole

Really infuriates me that they are coring next week. My only chance to play would be the first day that the course is back up and running which would be a waste by the sounds. An excuse to come back and experience what looks like a heck of a course.

That sucks, but if you're visiting you may want to check out Carmel Valley Ranch. It's a beautiful resort with great food. Course is a Pete Dye course. I've played it. It can be difficult if the rough is grown out. Here's a link to a really discounted rate.

https://golfmoose.co...l-valley-ranch/

Thanks for the tip. If I can slip another round in I will give it a shot. Playing Spyglass, Pebble and The Preserve at this stage.

For some more Alister Mackenzie delight, on your way back from Bandon, you can play the brilliant little 9 holer Northwood which is about 75 miles north of San Francisco in the Monte Rio/Russian River area. That and Pasa would be an excellent combo.

Huge Mackenzie fan here, I played Northwood for the 1st time 6 months ago wonderful 9 holes, a must play if in the area!

For those of you who love Mackenzie and have not played Pasa. or The Valley Club IMHO Pasa & V.C. are better tracks than Cypress Pt. ( I've been lucky enough to play C.P.C. & V.C. a dozen+ times) Pasa & V.C. are bucket list musts, they are both phenomenal Mackenzie designs!!

Still working on Augusta and Crystal Downs

I reiterate what everyone has said about Pasatiempo in the comments. One of my favorite courses in the world for sure - probably top 5-10. Definitely planning to go back out there soon now that I've moved back to NorCal. I did notice it was closed this weekend since they were playing the Western Intercollegiate golf tournament there the last few days - ended yesterday. http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=player&tid=14253

I was looking at some of the scores and scorecards (-10 over 3 days is really impressive!) - did they put in new tees on #1 and #2? They have those holes listed at 505 and 493 yards now - both are Par 4s, lol. Last time I played there (about 2 years ago), #1 was honestly playing like a Par 6 since it was raining and the wind was blowing about 20 mph into - hit 3 good shots and still wasn't on the green. It actually made the Par 3, 3rd play the "easiest" it ever has for me. I've played out there maybe 5 or 6 times and this was the 1st par I've ever had there - hit 3 iron to the front of the green (didn't roll off the front since it was wet) and had an "easy" 2 putt. Wet conditions actually helps make it a little bit easier I think, even if it plays much longer since the greens aren't quite as fast. I went 3 under on 8-11 and its EASILY the best 4 hole stretch of my golfing life, lol.

what did you shoot? :taunt:

For some more Alister Mackenzie delight, on your way back from Bandon, you can play the brilliant little 9 holer Northwood which is about 75 miles north of San Francisco in the Monte Rio/Russian River area. That and Pasa would be an excellent combo.

Huge Mackenzie fan here, I played Northwood for the 1st time 6 months ago wonderful 9 holes, a must play if in the area!

For those of you who love Mackenzie and have not played Pasa. or The Valley Club IMHO Pasa & V.C. are better tracks than Cypress Pt. ( I've been lucky enough to play C.P.C. & V.C. a dozen+ times) Pasa & V.C. are bucket list musts, they are both phenomenal Mackenzie designs!!

Still working on Augusta and Crysal Downs

Valley Club lost a few holes in the mudslides of Montecito a few months ago. 9 and 10 fairway are covered in mud. 11 green washed away. All the bridges are gone and the creek running along 3 and 11 there is several feet wider with very unstable banks.

Bummer for a great track.

Still working on Augusta and Crysal Downs

Valley Club lost a few holes in the mudslides of Montecito a few months ago. 9 and 10 fairway are covered in mud. 11 green washed away. All the bridges are gone and the creek running along 3 and 11 there is several feet wider with very unstable banks.

Bummer for a great track.

That sucks. I heard Tom Doak mention at least one of the greens was burried under 5ft of mud

#3 is cool. Playing it once during the drought and my teeshot hit up there and when it stopped rolling it was down there.

I do not have a par story like OPB to go along with it :dntknw:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

#3 is cool. Playing it once during the drought and my teeshot hit up there and when it stopped rolling it was down there.

I do not have a par story like OPB to go along with it :dntknw:

Played there last October. I hit my tee shot front left short. Chipped up and missed a short par putt. Meanwhile one of the other guys in my group, an 18 handicapper, missed the green pin high right of the greenside traps. Pitched it up to 3 feet like it was nothing and made the putt for par. This is the same guy that hit his tee shot into those same greenside traps off #2 tee almost beaning some guy in the process.

Still working on Augusta and Crystal Downs

What in your opinion puts Valley club & pasa over Cypress? I’ve only played pasa and love it