2018 Callaway X Forged

hoselshot82

DNice26....my apologies for unleashing the hounds, haha. To confirm your thoughts, I was taking to a friend today about the 2018 X-Forged and he pretty much said the same thing you did. He said they weren't as soft as he expected. He said they were soft, but with a definite firmness to them, if that makes sense. He plays the Cleveland 588 forged combo set which are very soft feelng.

I would venture to guess that those who come from a very soft forged iron like Mizunos will say these feel firm.

No worries. All good. I can understand when guys are really eyeing a club(s) and someone poo poos them (to some degree). I see the bogey golfer guy has been eye balling them in other threads. I have zero brand loyalty and go with what works brands wise. I was really into this set looks wise, but the 1st interview certainty didn’t go well (feel wise). Before the MP5s, I was playing the MP64s and before those the MP68s...so my feels may not be like that of others. I can tell you the MP15s i just recently dumped felt very similar to the XForged to me. Having said that, they both had the LZ shafts in them. Maybe its the LZs I dont like. Now I currently play Ctapers, so I would have thought the LZs would have felt more smooth. Anyway, anyone reading this should try the X forged for yourselves. Don’t go by this shlub...

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question....I recently went for a fitting with a well known and respected fitter to try out Apex Pro 16 vs X-forged 18, but when I got there, the fitter wasn't familiar with the X-forged (or played dumb) and while I'm telling him about it, he's pulling up the web browser and searching it (wth?) and seemed like when he found it, he wasn't familiar with it....that was this past week (mid-April 2018?...how long have they been out?) and then he had sitting there waiting for me the Apex Pro 16, Apex CF 16, Rogue & Rogue Pro. I had already tried the Rogue Pro vs Apex Pro (at a Demo Days) and didn't like the Rogue Pro. I'm a little bit miffed, because my email to him not only specifically pointed out (in bold) those 2 club selections I was interested in (Apex Pro 16 vs X-forged), but I also had photos of them in the email. OK, so he had me try those clubs that he had and followed my shots on his Trackman with a 7-iron for all of them, I hit the Apex CF better with the Recoil 780 F3 (107 mph ball speed, 80 mph clubhead speed) vs any of the other combinations that were maybe 100-104 mph and also around 80-81 mph clubhead. We tried the Recoil 780 F4 vs F3 and Recoil 760 F3 (which also equalled my best numbers, but I really don't want something that is that light, 68-gm? vs 85-gm on the 780 (I just don't want something that may seem ok for 30 min but then when I play them day in day out, they might be too soft. I knew the Apex Pro 16 was a bit smaller and not as forgiving as the Apex CF....but in direct comparison, I was 'ok' with the Apex CF....but I still wanted to compare the X-forged. Also, I want to move over to graphite shafts seeing that they are better/stouter than they have ever been.

Now, question....I really like the looks of the X-forged, but my shaft would likely be Recoil 780/F3 .....is that combination a bit of mis-match (I'm sure 95% of everyone on this thread would be using X-forged with XXX-Stiff 130-gm rebar), so I'm pushing for trying the X-forged, whether it's with him or someone else who can get them....and even then, I might end up with the Apex CF 16 (when are the Apex CF 18's coming out?).

Also, if you really liked an iron over another that performed better on Trackman, what difference in ball speed would you overlook to get the one you preferred? (i.e., the non-interested head was faster).

The fitter is pretty pushy and insulting in trying to steer me to a club solely based on numbers. ("why would you want that one, it's 2 mph slower ball speed, that doesn't make sense, does it to you?"). He's well known and has a couple of students that just broke through onto the PGA tour, has a nice 40-60 acre facility with driving range, heated tee box for bad weather, Trackman, putting/chipping areas, pro-shop building. Now, he doesn't 'do club manipulations himself', he just 'fits clubs by Trackman numbers' (and the usual lie angle, etc) and then orders them.

Hey, and my attitude is... I'm 64, I'm not going to be winning any club championships, so if the club "that I like and prefer because it looks sexy" only gives me 2 mph ball speed less than another one, I'm fine with that. I'm more interested in dispersion containment as I'm not going to be breaking any long drive records (but I'm thinking graphite to ease up on some pain in my should and elbow joints....which could also be because just coming out of winter, I've started playing more recently).

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Question....I recently went for a fitting with a well known and respected fitter to try out Apex Pro 16 vs X-forged 18, but when I got there, the fitter wasn't familiar with the X-forged (or played dumb) and while I'm telling him about it, he's pulling up the web browser and searching it (wth?) and seemed like when he found it, he wasn't familiar with it....that was this past week (mid-April 2018?...how long have they been out?) and then he had sitting there waiting for me the Apex Pro 16, Apex CF 16, Rogue & Rogue Pro. I had already tried the Rogue Pro vs Apex Pro (at a Demo Days) and didn't like the Rogue Pro. I'm a little bit miffed, because my email to him not only specifically pointed out (in bold) those 2 club selections I was interested in (Apex Pro 16 vs X-forged), but I also had photos of them in the email. OK, so he had me try those clubs that he had and followed my shots on his Trackman with a 7-iron for all of them, I hit the Apex CF better with the Recoil 780 F3 (107 mph ball speed, 80 mph clubhead speed) vs any of the other combinations that were maybe 100-104 mph and also around 80-81 mph clubhead. We tried the Recoil 780 F4 vs F3 and Recoil 760 F3 (which also equalled my best numbers, but I really don't want something that is that light, 68-gm? vs 85-gm on the 780 (I just don't want something that may seem ok for 30 min but then when I play them day in day out, they might be too soft. I knew the Apex Pro 16 was a bit smaller and not as forgiving as the Apex CF....but in direct comparison, I was 'ok' with the Apex CF....but I still wanted to compare the X-forged. Also, I want to move over to graphite shafts seeing that they are better/stouter than they have ever been.

Now, question....I really like the looks of the X-forged, but my shaft would likely be Recoil 780/F3 .....is that combination a bit of mis-match (I'm sure 95% of everyone on this thread would be using X-forged with XXX-Stiff 130-gm rebar), so I'm pushing for trying the X-forged, whether it's with him or someone else who can get them....and even then, I might end up with the Apex CF 16 (when are the Apex CF 18's coming out?).

Also, if you really liked an iron over another that performed better on Trackman, what difference in ball speed would you overlook to get the one you preferred? (i.e., the non-interested head was faster).

The fitter is pretty pushy and insulting in trying to steer me to a club solely based on numbers. ("why would you want that one, it's 2 mph slower ball speed, that doesn't make sense, does it to you?"). He's well known and has a couple of students that just broke through onto the PGA tour, has a nice 40-60 acre facility with driving range, heated tee box for bad weather, Trackman, putting/chipping areas, pro-shop building. Now, he doesn't 'do club manipulations himself', he just 'fits clubs by Trackman numbers' (and the usual lie angle, etc) and then orders them.

One thing to check out is using the recoil 95s in shorter irons and the 760 in mids. I did this with my ‘14 apex combo set and am doing it again with x forged pw-7 95s and 27/30 UT in the 760. I spoke to a UST fitter back in 2014 and he loved that type of combo for guys in our swing speed range. Just gives you a little added speed and forgiveness in those mid irons but bit more stability in the scoring clubs.

Hey, and my attitude is... I'm 64, I'm not going to be winning any club championships, so if the club "that I like and prefer because it looks sexy" only gives me 2 mph ball speed less than another one, I'm fine with that. I'm more interested in dispersion containment as I'm not going to be breaking any long drive records (but I'm thinking graphite to ease up on some pain in my should and elbow joints....which could also be because just coming out of winter, I've started playing more recently).

I started with the Project X 6.0 and loved them. Due to elbow issues I changed to Steelfiber 95 R and I loved them more and numbers were considerably better. (Now playing same combo in TM).

If the recoil is right for you I think the XForged head will be fine with it! FWIW, mine just got sent to Dallas Golf for a credit. They are in nice shape and that shaft might be excellent for you and the price from them might be attractive?

Anyway, I don’t think the X will be finicky about any shaft that is correct for your swing. And yes, great looking set!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Thanks for the comments Phillyspecial and RXK9fan, appreciate it. RXK, I forgot to mention, I'm a lefty :-).

I started with the Project X 6.0 and loved them. Due to elbow issues I changed to Steelfiber 95 R and I loved them more and numbers were considerably better. (Now playing same combo in TM).

If the recoil is right for you I think the XForged head will be fine with it! FWIW, mine just got sent to Dallas Golf for a credit. They are in nice shape and that shaft might be excellent for you and the price from them might be attractive?

Anyway, I don't think the X will be finicky about any shaft that is correct for your swing. And yes, great looking set!!

GHIN Index 12.9

You tell that fitter that’s it’s your money and you’ll buy what you want. You can always go somewhere else. I say wait and try them or you may have doubt or not be totally satisfied.

That fitter sounds like a real tool.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

My .02

When I am helping someone buy a set of irons, the only time that I am curious about ball speed is when they hit the ball off center. Knowing the carry and ball speed differences on a club head on miss hits is helpful for me to steer them toward a certain head or shaft that might help consistency and forgiveness.

I'd have to disagree with your fitter...

If someone hits one 7 iron 5-10mph faster than another, it doesn't mean that the club is a better club for them. One club might increase your distance by de-lofting the club and decreasing your spin. This is a trend in the iron market right now, and it is not necessarily helping people score better. Lower spinning de-lofted irons usually make distance control much more difficult. Dispersion ends up being all over the place both with line and distance.

In fact 10-15 years ago manufacturers were obsessed with making clubs lighter and longer in order to increase distance. This hurt any distance control and accuracy for average players.

Today, the trend is to make clubs with less loft, and weight placed lower and farther back in the head. This causes most players to hit them farther due to the decreased loft, and the weight placement takes spin off of the shot which causes players to hit the ball farther. However, distance control and accuracy are both negatively impacted.

I own the X Forged 18. I am truly in love with the feel, look and performance of these clubs. The other day, a couple of friends and customers and I were hitting some balls with trackman and I was carrying my PW my normal 128-130ish and then grabbed the Rogue X PW which I was carrying 20ish yards farther. One of the customers who was watching this kept saying "he's gonna trade in his new irons for these, look at how much farther he hits them!" I told him that this would be detrimental to my game. He was shocked. I told him that I hit my SW about 105-107 on a full swing. If I bought a set with a PW that goes 45 yards longer and buy a gap wedge that goes right between those two. I'd only have one club in that 45 yard gap. That would mean that between 70 and 150 yards from the green, I'd only have a couple of clubs to choose from. Most of my approach shots are between these yardages. I'd need to be hitting 3/4 shots or trying to hit my SW or Gap wedge too far. It would make the game much more difficult. But choosing a set of irons with consistent distance gaps means that I can make a good solid swing and know what I can expect.

I know that it's sexy to hit a 7 iron on a hole when the rest of your group is hitting a 5 iron. And unfortunately this is often a bigger decision making factor for a lot of guys who are in the market for irons. Get irons that you can consistently hit and love the look and feel of that are gapped properly. I'd love to see you hit the X Forged with the recoil if that's what suits you, but don't make the decision because you hit those a couple of yards farther than something else.

My Callaway Rep said that they are targeting a fall release for the Apex 16 replacement. If they are on the same timeline as last year, they will probably be available mid to late October. The Apex CF 16 are incredible clubs, I just got a set for my high school son, he loves them and his game is improving rapidly right now. They look and feel wonderful. The Apex Pro are also amazing. I really debated whether I was going to do Apex Pro or X Forged. The Apex Pro felt quite similar to the X Forged. I just loved the simplicity and look of the X Forged marginally better. Who knows if the replacement for the Apex series will be as good as the 2016 iteration. CF 16 have been such a wonderful set for so many people.

I hope at least some of that helps.

Anyway, I don’t think the X will be finicky about any shaft that is correct for your swing. And yes, great looking set!!

I just reshafted my X Forged from PX 5.5 to C Taper Lite Stiff. Comparing the shafts, launch lowered 2* but the peak height, landing angle and overall flight shape was the same.

Honestly get what you like and works for you. I would say to try Steelfibers as well before you settle on a combo.

Thanks all for the comments regarding X-forged and what to be watchful of when getting fitted. I spent almost 2 hours on the range yesterday at a Callaways-only Demo Days (2-6 pm) at a nearby (oh well, 40 miles) golf club and I took a half day off to get there early afternoon thinking it would not be busy. On the way there I'm thinking, woah, only 1 manufacturer, if they have a lot of people, they'll be swamped and probably won't get to try much. To my luck, there were maybe 3-4 people there for the 2 hours I spent hitting irons. Again, they did not have X-forged in lefty/fitting irons (all they had was a glued 6.0 flex steel) and I'm interested in graphite (and possibly open to testing steel fiber). When I mentioned that to the main guy there, he said yea, try them by all means, but you'll probably won't hit them as far as the Rogue Pro/Apex CF because both the Apex Pro/X-forged have weaker lofts (I just look them up...7-iron is about 3 degrees weaker, almost 1 full club weak). I asked why do they do that and he said, well their meant for the 'stronger player' who has the power to get the distance even out of a weaker loft...but if that doesn't bother you, try them if you can get find someone with X-forged fitting heads. OK, so I spent over an hour hitting Apex CF vs Rogue Pro (which I'm liking more now that I was able to spend some time casually hitting it myself).

As a university professor, I know the difference in how an instructor's method/approach can make on getting the 'student' to learn. One of the 2 Callaway reps was also an Assist. Pro at a local golf course and also a USGTF Master Teaching Professional and Callaway Cert. Master Fitter. He was positioned near me as I was trying the Rogue Pro, switching out to the Apex CF, and back and forth about 3-4 times (yea, I had a great 1-hr+ doing this). I told him I felt more comfortable with the Rogue Pro, but I was drawing the ball a bit with both clubs (same direction as the sideways wind was blowing) and he offered up casually, "any reason you're using such a weak grip?"...and I said "I'm trying to offset the draw action I'm getting, which possibly aided by the wind direction I guess". He said "you're very 'handsy', you're rolling your wrists over too much" and offered up (I'm a lefty) "try going back to the stronger grip, but try holding off your right wrist from turning over too much" and as soon as I did that whoah!, my shots were going further and straight...almost felt like they were still going far without the effort. He kept feeding balls to me and I kept hitting them....to the point I was getting a cut opening up on my finger, lol (those grips were tiny, felt like I was holding pencils so I had to hold them firm).

It was great, there was no one there except a few 'old' guys (lol, I'm 64) who were trying drivers and hitting them 100-125 yrds (I better not laugh, I'll be there soon enough)...so I had this guy helping me in such a casual way (and not as abusive as my fitter was with his sarcasm and insults). Next I thought, let me try something else...how about hybrids?.....and I said maybe a 4-hybrid. So tried the Rogue Pro 4H.....and again, hit it so much better than my own...high and dropping softly (probably due to having an overly stiff shaft on my current hybrids than what I should have); he then started asking inquisitively but not pushy, "does your current 4-iron stop on a green like that hybrid will or does it roll through?...and of course he knew I was going to say..."no, it comes in at a lower launch and rolls through and I'm chipping back". Now instead of him getting me to go for a 5-A set of irons + 4H, I'm the one thinking about that as making sense. This guy is good....what do you call it, leading a horse with a carrot on a string? Then he said, just try one more club for me....this ''Heaven Wood" (Callaway 7-wood fairway). I don't think I ever had a 7-wood...and when I hit it, I was again pretty amazed. Hit about 20 balls....and loved it. I know, hitting something on a wide open range isn't the same as on the course, but I usually target an 'alley' between 2 targets as an acceptable path+deviations. He said, don't get that at the same time if you're thinking of it....maybe get a set of irons + hybrid, see where you're gaps are, then fill in or fix the gaps....maybe that 7-wood will find a spot. And I believe it was a 'senior flex'...but it didn't feel noodlely? I guess graphite have come a long way in the last 10 years....I'm old enough where anything that was 60-gm or 'senior' was whippy like a fly fishing rod.

GHIN Index 12.9

For the X Forged users out there, has anyone had any issues with their clubs after a few months?

I was at the range Friday and pulled out my 6i to work out a few shots. I found that the head had rotated about 45*. This is after a few months of use. The shaft and ferrule didn't have any noticeable gap between the head. The grip and shaft were just clocked counterclockwise.

I think some of the earlier batches didn’t get epoxied well, the heads on my 6 and 5 iron went flying down the range on consecutive days, luckily Callaway replaces the entire set for me no questions asked and I have had zero issues with the new ones!

That's a great question. Many pros hung onto the 13 xforged long after they were gone.

I have a set of 2013 X Forged in the garage. I played with them until last year, but the grooves were getting worn. I had replaced the PXi with the XP 115 a few years back. Anyhow, I bought a set of Srixon Z765 with the Nippon Modus3 120 Tours last year and have been playing them since. At any rate, I was bored so I took the a couple of the X Forged to the range and hit them with the Srixons. The Srixons are a great iron, but I have to admit the feel and flight of the X Forged were just better. The 2013 X Forged heads are more compact than the Srixons and the top line is thinner. It's probably that thinner section from the middle of the blade to the top that creates awesome feel. I'd love to try the 2018 X Forged but the madness has to end sometime.

Hopefully headed to a Cally demo day today.....gonna try the X forged again to see how they feel with my preferred shafts.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Hopefully headed to a Cally demo day today.....gonna try the X forged again to see how they feel with my preferred shafts.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. This thread has proven that feel is indeed subjective.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Good luck, are they that new? My fitter didn't have X-forged at all, and another Demo Day that had 4 manufacturers including Callaway did not have 'fitting heads' (just one RH glued), and another Callaway-only Demo Day didn't not have fitting heads?....and on Callaway's web page...X-forged are almost last, you have to scroll down about 9-12 irons to get to them, so why are they not one of the premier irons in their repertoire?

GHIN Index 12.9

Good luck, are they that new? My fitter didn't have X-forged at all, and another Demo Day that had 4 manufacturers including Callaway did not have 'fitting heads' (just one RH glued), and another Callaway-only Demo Day didn't not have fitting heads?....and on Callaway's web page...X-forged are almost last, you have to scroll down about 9-12 irons to get to them, so why are they not one of the premier irons in their repertoire?

Callaway didn't make fitting heads for these, unfortunately. I've called them a couple of times and got different answers, but the field reps I've talked to both said no fitting heads. Bummer, since I really wanted a set and was ready to buy.

I ended up going with Srixon 765's as I was able to try them with the shafts I was interested in. And they were around $135 per club Vs. $165 for the Cally's. And the Srixon's have a GW. It's pretty sweet...

I may pick up a set of the X Forged when the hit CPO later in the year. I really liked the feel of them, even with the PX shaft, which I hate.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Callaway didn't make fitting heads for these, unfortunately. I've called them a couple of times and got different answers, but the field reps I've talked to both said no fitting heads. Bummer, since I really wanted a set and was ready to buy.

I ended up going with Srixon 765's as I was able to try them with the shafts I was interested in. And they were around $135 per club Vs. $165 for the Cally's. And the Srixon's have a GW. It's pretty sweet...

I may pick up a set of the X Forged when the hit CPO later in the year. I really liked the feel of them, even with the PX shaft, which I hate.

Callaway has been like this for a while now. When I got my '13 X Forged I practically had to fight the fitter who was pushing the XHot Pros at the time. I had to sort of guess on shaft I wanted.

Now they don't have fitting heads for X Forged or Apex MB because they are pushing the Rogue line. I get it to an extent in that the vast majority of players will fit into the Rogue stuff and players who would want the MB probably know what shafts they want.

But there are players like me that are just NEVER going to buy the heavily marketed stuff like "Rogue" or whatever just because how often they change it and I just prefer a classic look at address. It would be so much simpler if they released everything at once like Titleist but I get from a business/marketing reason why they don't.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Well, I’ll eat crow to some degree. What I’ve learned is that I don’t like the LZ shafts. I think they were the culprit for me. At the demo day I tried the forged with the modus 120 (not a good shaft for me either) and the head felt very different. I didn’t try many options because I was mostly interested in the Apex MB. Now the MB.....oh my goodness....oh my goodness. Butter. Also my first time trying the $ taper...also a really nice shaft. Would have liked to try the xforged with the $ taper. Had limited time though. So, shall enjoy my crow now....

I have to say that I am blown away by the 2018 X Forged.

My gamers are PXG 0311s on KBS Tour V 110 Stiffs.

I hit the X Forged, 718 AP2, Srixon 765, and 0311s back to back. The AP2, 765, and 0311s are all on Tour Vs, the X Forged are on PX 6.0 LZs. Maybe it is the shaft but the X Forged felt really really good on center hits, super crisp. Like it a lot better than the AP2. Dare I say it felt better than the 0311s which are hot and more of a snap.

My 0311 6 iron is 28.5 degrees, and my X Forged 6 iron is 29 degrees. Very similar in distance (surprisingly; PXG maybe 4-5 yards longer) but my dispersion was better on the X Forged (again, might be the shaft) and just felt more confident putting a good swing on the X Forged. Surprising for me as an intermediate, mid-high cap golfer as the X Forged is much smaller (esp. the sole) as compared to the 0311.

Have some hard decisions to make for this season as I spent >5X on the 0311s as compared to the used X Forged set. Disappointing, really. Might go back and get the 0311s refit and maybe have them swap out to the PX shaft.

I was disappointed that they did not have the X Forged fitting head to swap out shafts. The Callaway Rep told me to use the Apex Pro in order to demo shafts as the feel and launch are pretty comparable. It really seemed to work well. The shafts that I was fit with for the Apex Pro feel great to me. I am getting the flight and feel that I wanted.

I took mine out on Saturday for the first time on either the course or range and I loved them. They were easy to hit and my distances seemed to be close to what I saw with the 790's. I felt like somehow I lost distance with the 790's when I switched from the 765's and I have no idea why. The X Forged felt amazing and performed about as well as I could have hoped for my first time out. I know for me that very first swing usually sets the tone for something and if I end up liking or loving it. These were pure and smooth from the first swing. I love that when that happens, not a bad swing on the range at all.

I took mine out on Saturday for the first time on either the course or range and I loved them. They were easy to hit and my distances seemed to be close to what I saw with the 790's. I felt like somehow I lost distance with the 790's when I switched from the 765's and I have no idea why. The X Forged felt amazing and performed about as well as I could have hoped for my first time out. I know for me that very first swing usually sets the tone for something and if I end up liking or loving it. These were pure and smooth from the first swing. I love that when that happens, not a bad swing on the range at all.

How would you compare the X forged to the 765’s?

The Z765 are a degree stronger in the long and mid irons. I found them to be longer overall in distance and we're very easy to launch. The sole slides through turf like butter. However it was harder for me to work the ball. Ball flight was taller in general as well.

The X Forged we're easier to manipulate flight and had a mid flight. Both irons felt similar as well. The X Forged is a bit smaller and slimmer overall in size. The distances I was getting is more in line with what I expect from a more traditional lofted iron.

The Z765 are a degree stronger in the long and mid irons. I found them to be longer overall in distance and we're very easy to launch. The sole slides through turf like butter. However it was harder for me to work the ball. Ball flight was taller in general as well.

The X Forged we're easier to manipulate flight and had a mid flight. Both irons felt similar as well. The X Forged is a bit smaller and slimmer overall in size. The distances I was getting is more in line with what I expect from a more traditional lofted iron.

Thanks

How would you compare the X forged to the 765's?

I played the 765 last season and my comparison to the 2018 x-forged is very similar. The long irons in the 765 are fantastic and quite possibly the best long irons I've ever played. But I had a hard time with the short irons as they are rather large - I could never get used to the size of the heads.

The short irons were fine from the fairway, but from the rough the larger heads didn't cut through the grass as well as a smaller head. Similar results from the rough with the long irons.

The XF have a slightly firmer feel than the 765, IMO, but still feel great.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

For the most part I agree with that these guys said. Biggest difference specs wise of course is the 765's being stronger lofted. The 765's do appear slightly larger and longer than the X forged looking down at them. I think if I hit a bunch of shots between the two distance would probably average out to be a little longer in the 765's but also remember its all relative to your swing and shaft, etc. I found the X Forged to be pretty long for a more traditional lofted iron. That being said I did read that they are stronger lofted than previous X Forged were but not by much.

I find both to be excellent irons. You might get away with more in the 765's being that they are a tad longer and bigger but dont sleep on the X Forged. I'm going to probably going to sell my 765's since I also have a set of 790's for when I suck and cant find the center of the face. That always comes at some point in the season.

For the most part I agree with that these guys said. Biggest difference specs wise of course is the 765's being stronger lofted. The 765's do appear slightly larger and longer than the X forged looking down at them. I think if I hit a bunch of shots between the two distance would probably average out to be a little longer in the 765's but also remember its all relative to your swing and shaft, etc. I found the X Forged to be pretty long for a more traditional lofted iron. That being said I did read that they are stronger lofted than previous X Forged were but not by much.

I find both to be excellent irons. You might get away with more in the 765's being that they are a tad longer and bigger but dont sleep on the X Forged. I'm going to probably going to sell my 765's since I also have a set of 790's for when I suck and cant find the center of the face. That always comes at some point in the season.

I agree the X Forged is fairly long for a traditionally loft iron. Comparing it to the MP5 set I'm playing, they're 1* stronger.

I had the same observation as Hot Rod that the heads seemed large and a bit chunky. The soles are pretty wide. I did notice that with that grind, it was easier to cut through that sticky kikuyu grass that we have in the rough in SoCal.