2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Towns in UK/Ireland

Hello guys. I'm hoping that you can help me with this:

I have the possibility to buy a month holidays next year in September. My plan is to do a trip to the UK. I will travel around and play some bucketlist courses. It's not my first trip to the UK and I already have played a few courses.

Aside from travelling around, I would like to settle in a "Golf Town" for 1 or 2 weeks. The town should match the following criteria:

- good course

- the golf course is an important part of the life in the town / the locals

- there shouldn't be too much tourists

- the town shouldn't be too big

- it would be great if there is the possibility to do a weekly deal for the green fee

Is there any town that comes in your mind, that matches the criteria? I was already thinking about the following options:

St. Andrews:

I have been to St. Andrews for the Open a few years back. How is the town in September? Are there a lot of tourists? Are there still possibilities to get in touch with the locals? How is the situation on the other courses than the Old (more tourist or locals)? The good thing is, that it is a golf-crazy town and they have 7-day-passes even for single golfers.

North Berwick:

The course must be great and I heard that the town is also very nice? Are there more locals or tourists playing? Do you think there is possibility to do a 1 or 2-week-golf-deal?

Royal Dornoch:

I heard that it's a tranquil place and it's easy to get in touch with locals? Is it still like that? Do you think there is possibility to do a 1 or 2-week-golf-deal?

Machrihanish:

This seems like a good option. Do you think there is possibility to do a 1 or 2-week-golf-deal?

Are there any other towns that would match the criteria? It doesn't has to be in Scotland, maybe there are options in Ireland, Wales or England? Are there any inland options?

Thank's a lot!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St Andrews is clearly a top choice, but it might be too touristic to you. Well, it's actually mostly golf related tourists ! ;-)

North Berwick is a small town but golfing offer in East Lothian is great. It could be your pick.

Dornoch seems even smaller than North Berwick (I’ll go there in June) but also has great quality courses.

I would also consider Troon/Prestwick area with plenty of great courses (Troon, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Dundonald, Turnberry)

I agree, St Andrews has to be the top choice, for size of town, variety of dining, and number of good golf choices. I believe September is a busy time for competitions, but its past the prime summer holiday season for UK residents. Dornoch is MUCH smaller, but people were very friendly when I've been there. I have a feeling that if you went to the same pub three nights in a row, you'd have a new group of friends. Many fewer choices for everything, particularly golf and dining, but its still a lovely place. On the other hand, Royal Dornoch is my favorite golf course in the world. I'll be in Prestwick in June, I may come back and give you a different view after that experience.

Where:

is a priority, you can't possibly pick St. Andrews in September. It's nothing but tourists. Spend a week there and you'll meet more people from Japan than from Scotland.

I'm not saying it's not a great/fun experience...it's just not what you asked for.

The beauty (/shame) of Dornoch is that a huge number of golf tourists trundle in each morning by coach and roll out as soon as their round ends. So there are relatively few tourists actually bumping around town. When you go to the pub, it's all locals. The downside is that it's a pretty sleepy village. You're going to have eaten in all the restaurants by your second day there...but it's a good time.

Gullane is another that I'd consider as an alternative to North Berwick. Nice small town very steeped in golf.

Wow thank's for your answers. I am thinking of mixing two places...

St. Andrews would definitely be a great choice. But I think September will be too busy for my taste. As I am not living far away from the UK, there will be lots of possibilities to come back to St. Andrews in less crowded months. Or is it like that all year round? I don't mind golf-tourists at all. What I don't like are huge groups of slow golfers and impersonal places...

I have been to the Open at Royal Troon and have played Dundonald, Western Gailes and Glasgow Gailes. I really loved the courses. I lived in a BnB in Irvine, but didn't really like the town. Maybe Prestwick would be better to stay in? @davep043, it would be great if you could share your thoughts after your trip. :)

Dornoch could be a great choice for a week. I don't mind going to the same pubs and restaurants, if there are other people around the whole week. A few tourists, a few locals, all week long. That would be great for a week. :)

@raynorfan1: Do you prefer the town of Gullane over Berwick? If yes, why? Thank you.

Does anyone have an opinion about Machrihanish? I mean the course must be great. But are there golfers around in the evening?

I know my expectations seem to be a bit high. But I am just trying to find the right match for me. I truly am a links-romantic and I am triyng to find a new way of experiencing links golf (other than just drive there, play, and drive on).

I have been to the Open at Royal Troon and have played Dundonald, Western Gailes and Glasgow Gailes. I really loved the courses. I lived in a BnB in Irvine, but didn't really like the town. Maybe Prestwick would be better to stay in? @davep043, it would be great if you could share your thoughts after your trip. :)

@raynorfan1: Do you prefer Gullane over Berwick? If yes, why? Thank you.

I'll certainly post something when I get back. Looking at all of the available information, I wonder if staying in Ayr might have been a better choice for walking to pubs and restaurants, but a buddy did all the planning and I'm happy to be going. I'll be playing those same three courses, as well as Prestwick, and I just can't wait.

We're also spending half a week in East Lothian, in Aberlady. Again, I think we're a little isolated, NB looks to be a larger town with more pub and restaurant choices. Gullane appears smaller, and Aberlady smaller still. I'd be interested in @raynorfan1's answer too.

Personally, I like your idea to stay in a single place for a while. I've planned a few of these trips, and I almost never plan to move more than once in a week. Its nice to return to a pub for a few nights and start to feel a little bit like a friend.

Prestwick is a nice little town with many restaurants and bars. Its maybe 5 mins down the road from Royal Troon. You have Troon, Prestwick, Dundonald,Western Gailes and Glasgow Gailes all right there (within 15 mins.). I like the Prestwick Pioneer for a pint after golf.

St. Andrews is nice but a little touristy and bars/restaurants close earlier than you would think. There are also tournaments in September that limit availability.

Dornoch is pretty small and not much there other than the golf course. Gullane is similar.

I would recommend in order:

Prestwick

St. Andrews (mainly because Sept. is a busy month with tournaments)

North Berwick/Gullane/Aberlady

Dornoch

Just to be different, why not consider Sligo in ireland (home of the poet W B Yeats). Lots of good golf within an hour or two:

County Sligo

Strandhill

Enniscrone

Carne

Connemara

Donegal

Rosapenna

Ballyliffin

Portsalon

Lough Erne

OR again for an option, go to York and play

Fulford

Ganton

Alwoodley

Moortown

Sandmoor

Moor Allerton

Woodhall Spa

Or find a village south of London like say Godalming and play:

Woking

Worplesdon

Walton Heath

Liphook

Pulborough

Tandridge

The Addington

plus many others

Hi Chanceman, thats for your answer. I have been to Surrey/Bekshire three times for the BMW and played all great courses there.

Ireland would definitely be an option, but as I am searching a town with a golf course directly in the town (walking distance), I think Slingo wouldn't be right choice, would it? Is there any town in Ireland with a course directly in town? Newcastle (RCD) for sure... anything else?

Hi Chanceman, thats for your answer. I have been to Surrey/Bekshire three times for the BMW and played all great courses there.

Ireland would definitely be an option, but as I am searching a town with a golf course directly in the town (walking distance), I think Slingo wouldn't be right choice, would it? Is there any town in Ireland with a course directly in town? Newcastle (RCD) for sure... anything else?

Lahinch and Ballybunion come to mind. Both very small towns, beach resorts. The (only) problem with Ireland is that there aren't clusters of courses like you see in Scotland.

For my 60th birthday a few years back I spent 2 weeks in Ireland, moved about every 3rd or 4th day. Ballyliffin, Enniscrone, Killarney, and Ennistymon (near Lahinch). I've enjoyed both Scotland and Ireland, they're just a little different.

In October, I will be staying at a hotel across the road from the County Sligo/Rosses Point course and it has its own little township. Also the Strandhill course is virtually in the town of Strandhill. But sure, you would have a fair drive each day to the other courses. As DaveP says, Lahinch and BB are also very close to their towns but they are kind of the obvious ones. Have fun whatever you do. BTW Royal County Down is right in the town of Newcastle and you have Ardglass nearby. Same with Portrush which is close by Portstewart.

Campbeltown (Machrihanish) is my favorite place in the world. Goal is to move there someday not too far down the road. There are 3 world class amazing courses there in Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes and Dunaverty (the world's best sub 5000y course on land that would make Pebble Beach jealous) the town and people are fantastic. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

If you really mean a full week, I will assume 5 courses is the min required for one location, which maybe rules out a few spots that might only be 3ish tracks, and leaving out London and the Wirral/Merseyside due to being big cities/close to big cities, I'll offer up...

Bideford, Devon:

Royal North Devon is just 2 miles down the road

Saunton GC is 30mins away with 2 18s

St. Enodoc GC is 90mins away but is just a fantastically fun course you don't see many of

Burnham& Berrow is also 90mins away, but can be combined with sightseeing in Exmoor National Park for a fun golf/tourist day out

I've not played B&B, but RND, Saunton East, and St. Enodoc are well worth multiple plays

Good overview here: http://www.atlantic-links.co.uk/

It's the Southwest, so it's touristy, but not in an obnoxious coach full of foreign golfers touristy way, more folks doing outdoorsy stuff.

You're more likely to tee off on your own or with a localier touring golfer, or a member, than Jean from Paris or Bob from Chicago.

I've been down Devon way as a golfer and for hiking/sightseeing and it is lovely.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Campbeltown (Machrihanish) is my favorite place in the world. Goal is to move there someday not too far down the road. There are 3 world class amazing courses there in Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes and Dunaverty (the world's best sub 5000y course on land that would make Pebble Beach jealous) the town and people are fantastic. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Hi FairwayFred. It's been a few days since my last post in this thread and I was thinking a lot about this trip. (first world problems) A few days ago I have written that maybe Ireland would be an option. But I can't do this yet, because I haven't been to a lot of places in Sctoland, that I want to visit before I go to Irleand. One of this places is Machrihanish. It's been on my list for so long and I never made it there. Would you recommend to stay in Campletown or just next to the courses?

So at the moment my trip would look like this:

1 week Dornoch/Brora, then drive to Machrihanish and play Boat of Garden, Gleneagles and Blairgowrie on the way down. 1 week Machrihanish, then take the ferry to Ayrshire, do Ayrshire and Turnberry and then drive to North Berwick. So no St. Andrews at the moment. I was there during the Open and can come back for a week easily.

If you really mean a full week, I will assume 5 courses is the min required for one location, which maybe rules out a few spots that might only be 3ish tracks, and leaving out London and the Wirral/Merseyside due to being big cities/close to big cities, I'll offer up...

Bideford, Devon:

Royal North Devon is just 2 miles down the road

Saunton GC is 30mins away with 2 18s

St. Enodoc GC is 90mins away but is just a fantastically fun course you don't see many of

Burnham& Berrow is also 90mins away, but can be combined with sightseeing in Exmoor National Park for a fun golf/tourist day out

I've not played B&B, but RND, Saunton East, and St. Enodoc are well worth multiple plays

Good overview here: http://www.atlantic-links.co.uk/

It's the Southwest, so it's touristy, but not in an obnoxious coach full of foreign golfers touristy way, more folks doing outdoorsy stuff.

You're more likely to tee off on your own or with a localier touring golfer, or a member, than Jean from Paris or Bob from Chicago.

I've been down Devon way as a golfer and for hiking/sightseeing and it is lovely.

Thx duffer. That's a nice tip, because I was thinking of doing Cornwall with my wife, before going to Scotland (alone). I know the courses, but didn't know what town would be nice to stay at. Will definitely have Bideford on my list.

Hello guys. I'm hoping that you can help me with this:

I have the possibility to buy a month holidays next year in September. My plan is to do a trip to the UK. I will travel around and play some bucketlist courses. It's not my first trip to the UK and I already have played a few courses.

Aside from travelling around, I would like to settle in a "Golf Town" for 1 or 2 weeks. The town should match the following criteria:

- good course

- the golf course is an important part of the life in the town / the locals

- the town shouldn't be too big

- it would be great if there is the possibility to do a weekly deal for the green fee

Is there any town that comes in your mind, that matches the criteria? I was already thinking about the following options:

St. Andrews:

I have been to St. Andrews for the Open a few years back. How is the town in September? Are there a lot of tourists? Are there still possibilities to get in touch with the locals? How is the situation on the other courses than the Old (more tourist or locals)? The good thing is, that it is a golf-crazy town and they have 7-day-passes even for single golfers.

North Berwick:

The course must be great and I heard that the town is also very nice? Are there more locals or tourists playing? Do you think there is possibility to do a 1 or 2-week-golf-deal?

Royal Dornoch:

I heard that it's a tranquil place and it's easy to get in touch with locals? Is it still like that? Do you think there is possibility to do a 1 or 2-week-golf-deal?

Machrihanish:

This seems like a good option. Do you think there is possibility to do a 1 or 2-week-golf-deal?

Are there any other towns that would match the criteria? It doesn't has to be in Scotland, maybe there are options in Ireland, Wales or England? Are there any inland options?

Thank's a lot!!

Ok,

I'll admit that I'm biased but Machrihanish is a wonderful location for golf and sightseeing. You have Machrihanish Golf Club, Machrihanish Dunes Golf Club, Dunaverty Golf Club and finally a short trip away by ferry and you have the wonderful re-designed Machrie Golf Club on Islay. Three top class links and a true hidden gem in Dunaverty.

Add in whisky and now we're talking. Campbeltown has Springbank, Glengyle and Glen Scotia distilleries. A quick hop over onto Islay and you have a further eight choices of the amber nectar. Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Kilchoman, Lagavulin and Laphroig. Jura is another short ferry away and yet another distillery.

http://www.machgolf.com/

http://machrihanishdunes.com/

http://www.dunavertygolfclub.com/

https://www.campbellgrayhotels.com/machrie-islay-scotland/

Machrihanish Dunes have two very good hotels and excellent cottages that would be perfect for a week or even two.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Please wait at least a month or so before moving! ;-)

In June, spending a week in Dornoch (after a couple days of tourism on the way from Edinburgh - but will take in a little 9 hole called Traigh just because it's close to Glenfinnan, where we are for the first couple of days) then down to St. Andrews area (now staying in Lower Largo after a little snafu on the St. Andrews arrangements) for 4 1/2 days, so will also provide a report. Really wanted to spend time in the Highlands, and Dornoch and Brora, in particular for some reason, look fascinating, as well as some other courses - still hoping to take in Moray Old with a wrxer and so far so good on that one.

In June, spending a week in Dornoch (after a couple days of tourism on the way from Edinburgh - but will take in a little 9 hole called Traigh just because it's close to Glenfinnan, where we are for the first couple of days) then down to St. Andrews area (now staying in Lower Largo after a little snafu on the St. Andrews arrangements) for 4 1/2 days, so will also provide a report. Really wanted to spend time in the Highlands, and Dornoch and Brora, in particular for some reason, look fascinating, as well as some other courses - still hoping to take in Moray Old with a wrxer and so far so good on that one.

Traigh is a beautiful location. Absolutely stunning views.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping: