Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

[quote name='remlap13' timestamp='1402952235' post='9508843']
Hey guys. Calgary mid capper here. I'm looking for opinions on some good "budget" courses. Preferably with green fees around the $60-70 mark.

Last year I played almost exclusively the muni tracks, as I was trying to improve my game, and the munis are good for "not giving a s***". My game has improved though, and this year I've been dragged out by a friend to Heatherglen, and River Spirit. Had never played either before. In both cases, it was crazy how much nicer they seemed compared to a Shaganappi or a McCall Lake. Especially River Spirit. However, playing the $80-90 courses on a regular basis can be tougher to swallow.

Heatherglen would fall firmly in my ideal price range. Basically, the next step up from the $40-50 munis, but not quite the $90-120 semi-privates.
[/quote]

Inglewood is a great course close to where you are. Has recovered nicely from the flood minus the ninth tee box. I would also recommend canal at delacour. Great course and resonantly priced.

Also if you play later on both heritage pointe and sirocco have great twilight rates and trust me you tee off at heritage on a weekend after 5pm and you will wonder how the course stays in business. You have the whole place to yourself.

Hey guys. Calgary mid capper here. I'm looking for opinions on some good "budget" courses. Preferably with green fees around the $60-70 mark.

Last year I played almost exclusively the muni tracks, as I was trying to improve my game, and the munis are good for "not giving a s***". My game has improved though, and this year I've been dragged out by a friend to Heatherglen, and River Spirit. Had never played either before. In both cases, it was crazy how much nicer they seemed compared to a Shaganappi or a McCall Lake. Especially River Spirit. However, playing the $80-90 courses on a regular basis can be tougher to swallow.

Heatherglen would fall firmly in my ideal price range. Basically, the next step up from the $40-50 munis, but not quite the $90-120 semi-privates.
[/quote]

Heatherglen is $95 on the weekend.

If that's your ideal range I'd suggest the following (prices include cart):

Canal at Delacour ($87) - Fantastic links-style course just east of the city. Renowned for being in amazing shape all the time, every year. The only knock on it is bugs are bad early in the season.
Heritage Pointe ($90) - They have a deal where you can get 4 players on the weekend after 3pm for $280 + cart.
D'Arcy Ranch ($75) - Previously mentioned, although I disagree with the comment regarding the greens. They had a tough winter and some flood damage earlier this season. Only the 17th green is in rough shape, the other 17 are fine. Bit of a drive from Inglewood.
Boulder Creek/Silverwing ($75) - Ok courses, not great, but not terrible, both better than HeatherGlen.

I'd also suggest signing up for the Speargrass and Gleneagles emails. They will email out tee time specials prior to the weekend.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1404923207' post='9666933']

[/quote]

Heatherglen is $95 on the weekend.

If that's your ideal range I'd suggest the following (prices include cart):

Canal at Delacour ($87) - Fantastic links-style course just east of the city. Renowned for being in amazing shape all the time, every year. The only knock on it is bugs are bad early in the season.
Heritage Pointe ($90) - They have a deal where you can get 4 players on the weekend after 3pm for $280 + cart.
D'Arcy Ranch ($75) - Previously mentioned, although I disagree with the comment regarding the greens. They had a tough winter and some flood damage earlier this season. Only the 17th green is in rough shape, the other 17 are fine. Bit of a drive from Inglewood.
Boulder Creek/Silverwing ($75) - Ok courses, not great, but not terrible, both better than HeatherGlen.

I'd also suggest signing up for the Speargrass and Gleneagles emails. They will email out tee time specials prior to the weekend.
[/quote] I'll add that if you don't have a foursome after three on the weekends it bumps to $100 per guy at HP with cart. I want to play canal, heard good things about it. I haven't played in probably two weeks or so (work and stampede, ok mainly stampede) but I've heard HP is in wonderful shape right now, if our super doesn't hold back the greens have a chance to be as fast and firm as ever with this heat.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I golf at Delacour a lot. To the point that I should really buy a membership. They do have a Canal Club card for $400, which I have purchased. I get 20% off my round and my guests get 10 or 15% off. I can't remember which one. I can also book a week in advance and play in men's night if I was so inclined. With the card, I pay $54 on the weekend for around with no cart. I think that's a buck cheaper than Maple Ridge.

Played willow park yesterday, for those who don't know its a nice private track in calgary, was in great condition albeit the greens were shockingly soft, the course is short and fairly narrow, I think I hit driver on nearly every hole; however, if it was a round that would actually matter I'd probably hit it ~6 times. Don't know if I could play Willow every day but it is a good track that was in wonderful shape.

Played 9 holes at HP this afternoon on the pointe, my least favorite 9 but my favorite to play as just a quick 9 if that makes any sense, course was in great shape, greens were pure and probably a foot quicker than willow, maybe a bit more. The greens were much more receptive than I thought they would be but they still weren't holding like they did at willow.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

For me it's Heritage>Pointe>>Desert

Heritage 1 might be the worst golf hole in the city, possibly Alberta.

Both of the 'valley' nines are too much target golf for me.

I have to admit, HP is in the best shape I've seen it in years.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1405450275' post='9706071']

Heritage 1 might be the worst golf hole in the city, possibly Alberta.

Both of the 'valley' nines are too much target golf for me.

I have to admit, HP is in the best shape I've seen it in years.
[/quote] heritage 1 is beyond dumb, they need to reroute the first creek and get rid of the bunkers so you can atleast hit 3 wood, if they did that it would be a good hole

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='no where to look' timestamp='1405456084' post='9706811']
Desert Blume in Medicine Hat is a great value, hidden gem

[url="http://www.desertblume.com/tee_times.html"]http://www.desertblu.../tee_times.html[/url]
[/quote] Yea Blume is a great track haven't played there in like 3 years, rattled I missed the sign up deadline for the AM

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1405450275' post='9706071']

[size=5][b]Heritage 1 might be the worst golf hole in the city, possibly Alberta.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I just noticed I did the order wrong. For clarity, it's from most hated to least favourite.... :taunt:

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Just thought I'd let everyone know that hearing through the grapevine that Kananaskis has received government funding for BOTH courses to be rebuilt. I think this is great news for the province. Saying it should take 2-3 years for both courses to be re-opened.

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

[quote name='Xavier_11' timestamp='1405700962' post='9728717']
Just thought I'd let everyone know that hearing through the grapevine that Kananaskis has received government funding for BOTH courses to be rebuilt. I think this is great news for the province. Saying it should take 2-3 years for both courses to be re-opened.
[/quote] Saw that as well wonderful news.

Played 36 at priddis today, tee boxes are absolutely mint it was incredible, fairways were good albeit a little wet in spots, greens were probably right around 10, they looked spotty cause of the poa but rolled quite true. All in all a nice day spent out there. I played a lot better on Hawk than I did Raven even though I find Raven a fair bit easier, probably due to the fact I was a little tired for the back 18 and the wind got up a tad.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I'm guessing Ferber will get the restoration.

I wonder what they will change?

My suggestions: [list=1]
[*]Relocate all of the cartpaths so they don't come into play as much as they do. I can't think of a course anywhere that you hit the cartpath more than Lorette. The path crosses in the landing zone on several holes.
[*]Remove/relocate some of the bunkers. Most of the fairway bunkers aren't in play for better players and are punishing on high-handicappers, casual golfers. This will cut down on maintenance costs and increase playability.
[/list]

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1405952785' post='9748357']
I'm guessing Ferber will get the restoration.

I wonder what they will change?

My suggestions:[list=1]
[*]Relocate all of the cartpaths so they don't come into play as much as they do. I can't think of a course anywhere that you hit the cartpath more than Lorette. The path crosses in the landing zone on several holes.
[*]Remove/relocate some of the bunkers. Most of the fairway bunkers aren't in play for better players and are punishing on high-handicappers, casual golfers. This will cut down on maintenance costs and increase playability.
[/list]
[/quote]

As of last week they still hadn't heard anything yet.

Played Delacour last night. It's in amazing shape. Greens are perfect. We had a late afternoon tee time and was a little worried about playing after weekend traffic, but the greens held up well.

Probably the best golf value in the Calgary area.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='nunzo' timestamp='1408995872' post='10005405']
Does anyone here play out of Bearspaw? Thoughts on the course?
[/quote]

Played there a lot over the years. I like it. Not very hard but interesting holes. I like that it's not driver on every hole. I prob only hit driver 4-5 times out there...

A lot of strategy needed to play well. Always nice shape too. Range is week and not much of a short game area.
Are you thinking of joining there??

In the north west, I personally like silver springs better. Better course and a beautiful newish club house. If I was going to join a private club in that part of the city, that would be my first pick.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1418927196' post='10612593']
Sundre. It is amazing.
[/quote]

Is Coyote Creek any good?

I know that Innisfail is highly regarded. Lakewood in Sylvan Lake, Lacombe and Alberta Springs near Red Deer plus a couple of courses in Rocky Mountain House (Pine HIlls and Canyon Creek) are already on my list to play courses in 2015. Will also play Dinosaur Trail again...what a great back 9 if you don't mind target golf...golfing among the Hoodoos is so awesome. Bring a lot of balls. Read that the back 9 is among the hardest in Canada, possibly North America. Excellent value too...paid $3x for 18 and a power cart (cart is a must for the back 9) via Golf Now.

Yea sundre is awesome, Pine Hills is supposed to be good, our nike rep shot 27 there on the front nine. I've heard nothing but good things about Innisfail. Not really a fan of Lacombe or Alberta Springs. Wolf Creek is up there more expensive though, personally not a fan at all of the links side, old side is good though. My roommate and a couple other of my buddies are from Drum and grew up on Dino, gonna try to make it out there this year

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Here are the ones I like and would recommend: as stated before Innisfail and Sundre are both awesome. I like Gleneagles in Cochrane, D'arcy Ranch in Okotoks. If you want a challenge go play Black Bull at Pigeon Lake. Probably the toughest golf course you will ever play, but nice and fun to give it a go.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

[quote name='mikedejong' timestamp='1419020342' post='10617869']
Here are the ones I like and would recommend: as stated before Innisfail and Sundre are both awesome. I like Gleneagles in Cochrane, D'arcy Ranch in Okotoks. If you want a challenge go play Black Bull at Pigeon Lake. Probably the toughest golf course you will ever play, but nice and fun to give it a go.
[/quote] D'arcy is good, if they could just find a way to get there greens to atleast mediocre it would be even better. Every year they seem to have issues and punch more than anywhere else in the area

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1419026817' post='10618299']
[quote name='mikedejong' timestamp='1419020342' post='10617869']
[/quote] D'arcy is good, if they could just find a way to get there greens to atleast mediocre it would be even better. Every year they seem to have issues and punch more than anywhere else in the area
[/quote]
D'arcy resurfaced half their green last year at the end of the season. They are doing the other half at the end of 2015. Last winter was pretty tough on them they lost a couple of greens due to ice.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

[quote name='DavidY' timestamp='1418914016' post='10611551']
Any recommendations for 2015 in central Alberta?

As a high handicapper, I have played River Bend in Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, Meadowlands in Sylvan Lake, Nursery in Lacombe, Dinosaur Trail in Drumheller, Drayton Valley, course in Delburne (Fawn Meadows?).

Thanks.

Dave
[/quote]

Come see us at Sundre GC next year. The course is always in great shape and offers a decent test of golf.

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

• 2 months later...