Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

[quote name='96p993' timestamp='1375237213' post='7573110']
Thanks for the reply...I think we have finalized going to Banff then heading to Jasper...I really like the small town feeling (from reading) of Jasper and Ive heard the drive is amazing...The golf gameplan is Banff Springs, Stewart Creek, and Jasper Park.
[/quote]

If you are a Fairmont President's Club Premier or Platinum member, one of the benefits is two for one rounds of golf. I don't know if you're travelling with a group where you would be playing solo, but depending....could be a big savings for BS and JPL. Premier is 5 stays or 10 nights, so depending on what kind of travel you do(and also putting this out there as general info for anyone else who it may apply) it may or may not be an easy reach.

FYI, PASS on Stewart Creek, they had some serious flood damage that closed a number of their holes (at least 9 if I remember...and they were doing the play 9 then circle back and play 9 again)....not sure if they are fully open now but that was about 2 weeks ago I heard this.

You're better off playing Silvertip....a bit quirky but at least you'll be playing a full 18 holes....nice scenery and in good shape. Fair warning, a number of blind shots and very slopey fairways.

Edit:
Looks like Stewart is fully open....I'd call to hear about conditions though...

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Lengthy article on Kananaskis in the Calgary Herald today again discussing that there are a number of scenarios being discussed ranging from full rebuild, to only 18, to letting it fully grow over. Nothing has been done at all, but I can confirm that at least a cost analysis has been tendered and accepted locally.

Stewart has had full truckloads of sod rolling in the past couple mornings. They are working as hard as they can but are still a ways off in restoring it to it's previous excellence.

Stewart Creek full 18 is open and has been for about 10 days now.

Kananaskis has had 3 architects view the course including Les Furber who was part of a small renovation we did about 7 years ago.

There are a lot of "rumors" and speculation going around about kananaskis but the facts remain pretty simple:

1. The government hasn't made any decisions
2. Kan-Alta is having daily meetings with government officials and have an ongoing open dialogue.

Anything else reported past these two facts is pure speculation.

The Pro Shop did a HUGE number during their sale and the sense was from everyone who was there that a rebuild is going to happen. The public support and positivity towards supporting a rebuild was present on site during that time. A lot of people asked "what can we do?" And the answer we were giving as staff was "write your MLA, support the petition and just continue to show us your support".

Also as a note. The government owns the golf course but Kan-Alta owns the buildings; clubhouse, pro shop, tournament centre, houses, staff accommodation, maintence buildings (there are 6 total in two locations). So that's another wrench in the equation.

All in all the media will report what they need to report but until you actually hear from the Kan-Alta board of directors that a rebuild is not happening don't believe what you read.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bbslurp413' timestamp='1376287780' post='7658430']
Any update on Stewart Creek and Silvertip conditions? Heading there in two weeks and was wondering how they were doing? Also, are they worth the steep greens fees?

Any other courses in that area that have great views but aren't so pricey? Thanks!
[/quote]played Stewart today. Great shape and senic I got a "VIP golf .ca " rate but reg price pretty steep. No other courses out there are any cheaper....

The course right in the townsite of Canmore is pretty good: Canmore Golf and Curling Club. I think its about $80 or $85 to play and I like it. Not as dramatic as Stewart or Silvertip, but still a nice course. Nice views of the mountains and it runs along the river and through the bush a bit. We usually mix it in when we play out there. Just a thought.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Yeah the Canmore golf and curling club is a fun play. Short course and older course design...but still fun.
Used to be about $60....looks like they upped their prices as well.

Stewart is still my fav in the area...but spendy.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='96p993' timestamp='1378227956' post='7791237']
In jasper today, will be heading to Canmore on Thursday...is kananaskis open again? Has anyone played it?
[/quote]

kananaskis is closed for the foreseeable future, there are rumours out there that they may never open again

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 52* / 58* //
// ODYSSEY 7s //

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is anyone familiar with Highlands in Edmonton? I'm new to the area and looking for a course to join for next season. I haven't been able to find much information online about it. I'm living on the east end and working in Ft Sask so it seems like the best option for me location wise. I'm open to other options but don't want to have to drive all the way across the city to play 9 on a weeknight or something like that.

You need to play it before joining....
it's a short course with some quirks so you better like it before you commit.

Location isn't the greatest, steep stairs down to the clubhouse/course and because of where it is in the city....you get some dodgy homeless people hanging around.
No range or practice facility either.

Depending on exactly where you are I might look at something like The Quarry instead. Needs to grow in and not exactly my favorite course, but I honestly could not play Highlands everyday.....nothing by hybrids and 3woods at most off the tee all day (with short wedges coming into most greens).

In the "east" end you are going to be much more limited to courses.....e.g. that is not where the really nice courses are.

[quote name='hbear' timestamp='1385538211' post='8214824']
You need to play it before joining....
it's a short course with some quirks so you better like it before you commit.

Location isn't the greatest, steep stairs down to the clubhouse/course and because of where it is in the city....you get some dodgy homeless people hanging around.
No range or practice facility either.

Depending on exactly where you are I might look at something like The Quarry instead. Needs to grow in and not exactly my favorite course, but I honestly could not play Highlands everyday.....nothing by hybrids and 3woods at most off the tee all day (with short wedges coming into most greens).

In the "east" end you are going to be much more limited to courses.....e.g. that is not where the really nice courses are.
[/quote]agree. Highlands not good!

Aren't there a couple of decent courses off of highway 21 near fort sask? I'm thinking 20 mins south? Can't remember their names now... Not talking about the one right in fort sask. Sherwood park has a few decent ones too no?

It's been awhile for me.

Can't think of any to be honest.

Broadmoor in Sherwood park is just "ok".....Sherwood Park golf course is a goat trail, and you'd have to go much further south to hit something like The Northern Bear; great layout....conditioning although improving is not even close to where it needs to be.

More northwest there is Sturgeon Valley which is a solid semi-private.

Basically depends on where exactly he is located, how far he is willing to drive and price point.

Thanks for the responses guys. That's kind of disappointing to hear. No range is pretty much a deal breaker. As far as budget goes, I'm in my mid 20's so I was hoping to get a decent intermediate rate somewhere. Could go up to 3k but would prefer lower obviously, not looking to dump a bunch of money into initiation/share anywhere either since i'm not sure how long I'll be here. I'm going to have to reconsider how far I'm willing to drive I think. It looks like many of the good options are on the south/west side.

The course off of 21 is Legends, haven't played it and don't know much about it. The only courses I've played in the area are Quarry, Northern Bear and Millwoods. I also thought Quarry was ok, not great. I saw they offer something like 40 season passes per year at approx. 4k. Kind of on the high side and I'd like to find a place with a decent group of members/regulars to play with, which I'd imagine they don't have. No walking allowed also hurts.

Edit: My location is Yellowhead and Victoria Trail, near Hermitage park.

Legands is an "ok" course as well. I played many a round there when I was first learning to play. cheap green fees (was like $20 for 18 holes back then), so conditioning and type of players it draws are part and parcel. [size=4]Still can't be beat for the price of a round. They have 27 holes and the champions 9 is actually an interesting layout.[/size]
They host a hickory golf league so that may also give you a sense as to how long it plays.

For your age, there's lots of intermediate rates at the privates....problem is you are pretty much on the wrong end of the city to really take advantage of them.

You might want to check out Raven Crest (north east of Victoria trail and fort road)....again not the greatest of courses, but I think you can get a membership pretty affordable (2k?) and there is a decent group of regulars there; blue collar guys that just like to golf. Course is interesting enough to keep your attention over the year I'd believe. And location wise might be your best bet. Tree lined holes, elevation changes, for the price and location I'm thinking that'll be your best bet.

All the privates have reduced rates for intermediates, but you'd be driving about 30-40mins MIN to get to them from where you are.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

[edit] forgot about Ravencrest being part of the "country club tour" so not sure the $2k is available to everybody...you might want to check it out.

As posted above, Broadmoor is "ok" and would fit the budget as well. I think they have a solid membership if I remember correctly......I'm on the other side of the world from you so don't have my finger on the pulse for things on the East end of town... can tell you lots about our privates and those types of things though....

• 6 months later...

Heritage Pointe is in fantastic shape right now. Greens are firm, smooth and very fast. Seems to have wintered well.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1401989959' post='9436637']
Heritage Pointe is in fantastic shape right now. Greens are firm, smooth and very fast. Seems to have wintered well.
[/quote] I work there so I'm biased but man are the greens pure again, they were quite firm last week but the rain has softened them up a bit.

Played Priddis a couple times in the last few weeks, hawk is now all open and is in good shape, raven was in better shape earlier in the year but hawk has since caught up, the new hole greens are pure but the old hole greens have a lot of flowering poa. Tee boxes are so mint

Heard hamptons is in rough shape

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Sundre is in fantastic shape. Not that I'm biased or anything. ;)

10338758_714472395277849_1644369475014505751_n.jpg

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Sundre is in fantastic shape. Not that I'm biased or anything. ;)

10338758_714472395277849_1644369475014505751_n.jpg

Sundre is usually in solid shape, had alberta junior and then future links back to back years there and it was pure.

Side-note: Pegging it at CGCC tomorrow and could not be more excited

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Hey guys. Calgary mid capper here. I'm looking for opinions on some good "budget" courses. Preferably with green fees around the $60-70 mark.

Last year I played almost exclusively the muni tracks, as I was trying to improve my game, and the munis are good for "not giving a s***". My game has improved though, and this year I've been dragged out by a friend to Heatherglen, and River Spirit. Had never played either before. In both cases, it was crazy how much nicer they seemed compared to a Shaganappi or a McCall Lake. Especially River Spirit. However, playing the $80-90 courses on a regular basis can be tougher to swallow.

Heatherglen would fall firmly in my ideal price range. Basically, the next step up from the $40-50 munis, but not quite the $90-120 semi-privates.

[size=4][quote name='remlap13' timestamp='1402952235' post='9508843'][/size]
Hey guys. Calgary mid capper here. I'm looking for opinions on some good "budget" courses. Preferably with green fees around the $60-70 mark.

Last year I played almost exclusively the muni tracks, as I was trying to improve my game, and the munis are good for "not giving a s***". My game has improved though, and this year I've been dragged out by a friend to Heatherglen, and River Spirit. Had never played either before. In both cases, it was crazy how much nicer they seemed compared to a Shaganappi or a McCall Lake. Especially River Spirit. However, playing the $80-90 courses on a regular basis can be tougher to swallow.

Heatherglen would fall firmly in my ideal price range. Basically, the next step up from the $40-50 munis, but not quite the $90-120 semi-privates.
[/quote] Budget courses in Calgary are terrible unfortunately, actually public golf in general is pretty poor in the city. Heritage and Sirocco are the two best public courses but they're expensive, D'arcy ranch in Okotoks is a fun track but greens are hit and miss (75 bucks) lakeside is a good option for the price, and its on golf now I believe, speargrass is supposed to be pretty good but its a bit of a treck. Really depends on what side of the city youre on.

Mckenzie medows would fit in your price range, don't know what its like following the flood though

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='remlap13' timestamp='1402952235' post='9508843']

[/quote]

Make the drive up here to Sundre Mon-Thurs we are $79 including Cart. I promise you won't be disappointed in the course.

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

Thanks for the replies guys.

Re: Knock. I've got a time booked at D'Arcy Ranch for this Saturday. Just need to find some people to join me. My usual group would be listed as "questionable" right now (this would be the 3rd straight Saturday round for us). I mean, worse comes to worse, I'll modify my booking and just head out solo. I'll check out some of the other courses you mentioned.

Lakeside rates match up quite well to Woodside (Airdrie), which I've played a lot of in the past. Speargrass is about 50min from where I'm at. One of my golf group has recommended Water Valley as well. Also about 50-60min. (I live in Inglewood).

Re: Xavier. My girlfriends brother-in-law's parents have a membership at Sundre. As soon as we can find a weekend where we're all free we're planning on heading up there for a round and some camping. Judging from what I've heard, and by that picture you posted, it should be quite nice..

[quote name='remlap13' timestamp='1403016228' post='9514235']
Thanks for the replies guys.

Re: Knock. I've got a time booked at D'Arcy Ranch for this Saturday. Just need to find some people to join me. My usual group would be listed as "questionable" right now (this would be the 3rd straight Saturday round for us). I mean, worse comes to worse, I'll modify my booking and just head out solo. I'll check out some of the other courses you mentioned.

Lakeside rates match up quite well to Woodside (Airdrie), which I've played a lot of in the past. Speargrass is about 50min from where I'm at. One of my golf group has recommended Water Valley as well. Also about 50-60min. (I live in Inglewood).

Re: Xavier. My girlfriends brother-in-law's parents have a membership at Sundre. As soon as we can find a weekend where we're all free we're planning on heading up there for a round and some camping. Judging from what I've heard, and by that picture you posted, it should be quite nice..
[/quote] Sundre would easily fetch $110+ if it was in the city or even a little closer, real good track albeit pretty flat, but always in good shape.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62