Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always mark/clean my ball, but this takes less than 30-60 seconds. If I'm first to putt, I'm cleaning and looking down my line at the same time.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

I always mark/clean my ball, but this takes less than 30-60 seconds. If I'm first to putt, I'm cleaning and looking down my line at the same time.

60 sec x 32 putts = an extra 34 min just on you over 18 holes. You are slow. I'm actually not arguing against you, just anticipating the replies of the speeders...

So, we shouldn't look for our balls, shouldn't hit provisionals (which means a high cap can never keep a real cap), clean our balls, check wind or distance, or hit in turn (which means matches are not really matches), otherwise we are slow.

In what other recreational activity or sport do people time the duration? Hey, let's go bowling! OK Joe, but each game must end in 38.7 minutes! Or, let's play softball...OK Joe, but if the game takes more than 1.67 hours...I'm quitting! Hey, let's play tennis...OK...but if a set takes more than 45 minutes I'm SO DONE with tennis. Hey guys...let's mountain bike! OK, but if we don't run at a 22 mph pace I'm out.

Just seems odd.

Actually, I have given up watching basketball for that reason. When the last minute of a game takes half an hour it's just dull.

The same with golf, it's not that I'm in a hurry anywhere but the continuous waiting just takes the fun out of it. Many other games are recreationally played per time. Say, I play tennis for an hour and put in as many games/sets I can. I play badminton for an hour and play as many sets I can fit in. Can't do that with golf very easily.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

that's a long time to Mark and clean your ball, and you are complaining about golfers who have putting lines on their golf balls? The thing about a thread like this is that it will change nothing, and life goes on. It's just a venue to vent your frustrations. Golf takes a good length of time to play, why don't people just accept that or find something else to do? I'm an advocate of ready golf and will often times not wait for those who are 5 yards behind me to hit, if they aren't ready and I am I'm going for it. It's pretty much common sense and courtesy to play golf at the right pace, and those commodities aren't that common these days in many people. I love playing golf and I have the time to play it, so I make the best of it regardless if it is slow.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Played with a guy twice in the past two weeks that is the slowest player I've ever met. Short hitter, yet plays from the back tee's. Shot over 100 both times I played with him. Took 5-10 practice swing EVERY shot, even on the green with putting strokes. They guy would survey the green before chip shots, only to not even hit the green with said chip shot. Would examine every corner of the green for his putt, only to completely mis-read the green. I shot a 43 over the 9 holes I played with him, and 33 over the last 9 without him. We had to let two groups play through because HE alone was playing too slow. By the seventh hole as I was about to lose my mind, I decided to make a comment to the group that we needed to pick up the pace a little, I didn't want to let a third group play through us. Mr. Slow obviously doesn't hear a word I say, continues on with his 10 practice strokes just to miss hit the ball, or hit it OB and look for it well past 5 minutes.

I mean how do you guys deal with people like this? Do you call the clubhouse on your own group? I understand the guy paid to play a round of golf as well, but it took us two and a half hours to get to the 7th hole's tee box. It was literally only him slowing us down. Do I tell him he's slow and affect his game? What would y'all do in this situation? I tried to be as kind and courteous as I could, but when the THIRD group played through, luckily they allowed me to join them and I hit with them.

Played a round on Thursday last week and the order was a 4-some, my 3-some and then a 4-some behind us. The group in front of us was not very good but we also had one less person so we kept pace easy. The group behind us was very skilled and up our Word not allowed the whole time. We were not playing particularly fast as we were not the hold up but I feel the group behind us was getting a bit annoyed.

How do you handle people being annoyed at you when you are not the problem? The group behind eventually skipped from hole 10 over to 13 when they saw an opening. We were in no rush but once the group behind cut around, there was no one else behind so we actually got to relax and BS rather than play fast paced golf which is always nice.

My method is to never look behind me. I just don't care. I have one job, to stay up with the folks in front of me.

For some reason this annoys me more then a slow round. Same groups are the ones firing once your 5 feet off the green and not even in the cart then crawl up your a** on the next tee when there is just no place to go and everyone is waiting on every shot.

On a similar note, I recently played an expensive round at a really nice course, during the week. Tee'd off at 10am, there was nobody ahead of us, in fact the pace seemed empty. The two guys I was paired with just couldn't play fast enough.

It annoyed me. I paid a lot of money to play this course and they seemed to be in some rush. They would tee off, and started walking with their caddies as I tee'd off, on the greens they would putt out and walk to the next tee as I'm putting. on a few holes they already tee'd off before I even got there...lol.. I shoot mid 80's and yes one of them was prob a 6 handicap, the other wasn't that good, but come on, enjoy the day a little.

We were playing so fast we finally caught up to a group on the 15th hole and one of the guys was all pissed off...We played a 6800 yard course in 3 hours.. that's fine by me at my local muni, but when I spend a few bills to play a nice course I'd like to take it in a little.. just felt rushed the whole day.

Played with a guy twice in the past two weeks that is the slowest player I've ever met. Short hitter, yet plays from the back tee's. Shot over 100 both times I played with him. Took 5-10 practice swing EVERY shot, even on the green with putting strokes. They guy would survey the green before chip shots, only to not even hit the green with said chip shot. Would examine every corner of the green for his putt, only to completely mis-read the green. I shot a 43 over the 9 holes I played with him, and 33 over the last 9 without him. We had to let two groups play through because HE alone was playing too slow. By the seventh hole as I was about to lose my mind, I decided to make a comment to the group that we needed to pick up the pace a little, I didn't want to let a third group play through us. Mr. Slow obviously doesn't hear a word I say, continues on with his 10 practice strokes just to miss hit the ball, or hit it OB and look for it well past 5 minutes.

I mean how do you guys deal with people like this? Do you call the clubhouse on your own group? I understand the guy paid to play a round of golf as well, but it took us two and a half hours to get to the 7th hole's tee box. It was literally only him slowing us down. Do I tell him he's slow and affect his game? What would y'all do in this situation? I tried to be as kind and courteous as I could, but when the THIRD group played through, luckily they allowed me to join them and I hit with them.

that is a nightmare... but why in hell did you play with him a SECOND time?

Had a "fun" 9 yesterday. Started the first hole with 3 other guys who wanted to stick together so let me play through. I get to to the second tee long after the cart in front disappeared from the first hole. Its a young guy and likely his GF playing from one bag in the cart...... Oh boy. So she was clearly very, very, very new at golf. She would hit the ball, maybe 10-20 yards at best and follow after it while the BF slowly rode along side with the cart. Not even giving her the slightest amount of advice as she hacked away!! When they finally got to his ball, he would hit and then let her repeat the process.

Now dont get me wrong, everyone has to learn but I dont think 5pm on a decent day when people are trying to squeeze in a quick 9 after work is the right time. Also, get your own clubs. I dont know what the minimum distance a beginner should be able to hit before getting on a real course is, but 20 yards is not it! She needed way more range time, and a BF who can teach her....

Also, they barely acknowledged they were holding me up. I could have easily just driven it over their head at least twice and been gone before they knew it. Not that im looking back, I should have! He also threw a putter to her while she was standing on the green which she dropped and took a chunk out. Totally poor etiquette to boot.

Miraculously after 5 holes they skipped one and I was able to finish a few holes at my own pace. Might not have actually been the longest 9 of my life but it felt like it!

Had a "fun" 9 yesterday. Started the first hole with 3 other guys who wanted to stick together so let me play through. I get to to the second tee long after the cart in front disappeared from the first hole. Its a young guy and likely his GF playing from one bag in the cart...... Oh boy. So she was clearly very, very, very new at golf. She would hit the ball, maybe 10-20 yards at best and follow after it while the BF slowly rode along side with the cart. Not even giving her the slightest amount of advice as she hacked away!! When they finally got to his ball, he would hit and then let her repeat the process.

Now dont get me wrong, everyone has to learn but I dont think 5pm on a decent day when people are trying to squeeze in a quick 9 after work is the right time. Also, get your own clubs. I dont know what the minimum distance a beginner should be able to hit before getting on a real course is, but 20 yards is not it! She needed way more range time, and a BF who can teach her....

Also, they barely acknowledged they were holding me up. I could have easily just driven it over their head at least twice and been gone before they knew it. Not that im looking back, I should have! He also threw a putter to her while she was standing on the green which she dropped and took a chunk out. Totally poor etiquette to boot.

Miraculously after 5 holes they skipped one and I was able to finish a few holes at my own pace. Might not have actually been the longest 9 of my life but it felt like it!

5:00 on a weekday seems just about the perfect time for a beginner to be out there.

Played a round on Thursday last week and the order was a 4-some, my 3-some and then a 4-some behind us. The group in front of us was not very good but we also had one less person so we kept pace easy. The group behind us was very skilled and up our Word not allowed the whole time. We were not playing particularly fast as we were not the hold up but I feel the group behind us was getting a bit annoyed.

How do you handle people being annoyed at you when you are not the problem? The group behind eventually skipped from hole 10 over to 13 when they saw an opening. We were in no rush but once the group behind cut around, there was no one else behind so we actually got to relax and BS rather than play fast paced golf which is always nice.

My method is to never look behind me. I just don't care. I have one job, to stay up with the folks in front of me.

For some reason this annoys me more then a slow round. Same groups are the ones firing once your 5 feet off the green and not even in the cart then crawl up your a** on the next tee when there is just no place to go and everyone is waiting on every shot.

On a similar note, I recently played an expensive round at a really nice course, during the week. Tee'd off at 10am, there was nobody ahead of us, in fact the pace seemed empty. The two guys I was paired with just couldn't play fast enough.

It annoyed me. I paid a lot of money to play this course and they seemed to be in some rush. They would tee off, and started walking with their caddies as I tee'd off, on the greens they would putt out and walk to the next tee as I'm putting. on a few holes they already tee'd off before I even got there...lol.. I shoot mid 80's and yes one of them was prob a 6 handicap, the other wasn't that good, but come on, enjoy the day a little.

We were playing so fast we finally caught up to a group on the 15th hole and one of the guys was all pissed off...We played a 6800 yard course in 3 hours.. that's fine by me at my local muni, but when I spend a few bills to play a nice course I'd like to take it in a little.. just felt rushed the whole day.

Self-entitled *****s. Reminds me of the beep hole threesome I was paired with at St Andrews. Arrogant, unfriendly speedsters with no sense of awe or enjoyment for playing a course that, for most, would be a once in a lifetime experience. One of the reasons I am so adamant about getting people to stop being such speedsters.

I would assume they work.

I take vacation time to golf all the time! I get it, some people cant. However that is not for me to worry about.

Maybe they should check with you first next time they are planning to play.

Easy there buddy..... All im saying is they could have avoided frustrating anyone else on the course by waving people by and not throwing clubs and taking divots on the green.

that's a long time to Mark and clean your ball, and you are complaining about golfers who have putting lines on their golf balls? The thing about a thread like this is that it will change nothing, and life goes on. It's just a venue to vent your frustrations. Golf takes a good length of time to play, why don't people just accept that or find something else to do? I'm an advocate of ready golf and will often times not wait for those who are 5 yards behind me to hit, if they aren't ready and I am I'm going for it. It's pretty much common sense and courtesy to play golf at the right pace, and those commodities aren't that common these days in many people. I love playing golf and I have the time to play it, so I make the best of it regardless if it is slow.

When I said that, I was thinking total time to putt. Sorry for not typing that accurately. And when I'm not first to putt, I'm ready to go when It's my turn.

And oh, by the way, you're not very good at drawing conclusions, are you? I was referring to those who use the line on the ball and it does them no good (can't make one outside 4 feet? Ring a bell?). Nowhere did I say anything about taking too much time.

Moving on.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

When I said that, I was thinking total time to putt. Sorry for not typing that accurately. And when I'm not first to putt, I'm ready to go when It's my turn.

And oh, by the way, you're not very good at drawing conclusions, are you? I was referring to those who use the line on the ball and it does them no good (can't make one outside 4 feet? Ring a bell?). Nowhere did I say anything about taking too much time.

Moving on.

well I don't know how we could come to the conclusion that a line on the ball doesn't help a golfer even though he misses more 4 footers then he makes. I guess a final point I would like to make is that whatever people like to do is fine with me, but try not to interfere with others or take too much time in doing so. Sorry I came across a bit strong I didn't mean to but as I reread my post maybe it was a bit that way sorry.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

60 sec x 32 putts = an extra 34 min just on you over 18 holes. You are slow. I'm actually not arguing against you, just anticipating the replies of the speeders...

So, we shouldn't look for our balls, shouldn't hit provisionals (which means a high cap can never keep a real cap), clean our balls, check wind or distance, or hit in turn (which means matches are not really matches), otherwise we are slow.

hqdefault.jpg

:D :D :D

Not a long time at all and I'm betting he's not always the first to putt so whatever time the marking and cleaning takes is while others are doing their thing.

1 guy plays 18 in 2 hours. Doesn't mean 4 guys play in 8. (cool)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Moving on.

well I don't know how we could come to the conclusion that a line on the ball doesn't help a golfer even though he misses more 4 footers then he makes. I guess a final point I would like to make is that whatever people like to do is fine with me, but try not to interfere with others or take too much time in doing so. Sorry I came across a bit strong I didn't mean to but as I reread my post maybe it was a bit that way sorry.

No problem. I have a difficult time reading forum posts sometimes, and try to make sure I use emoticons in appropriate places to prevent others from taking mine the wrong way.

Doesn't always work though. :)

nsxguy: Dude, you need to change your avatar. Almost bought one of those back in the 90s. Been sorry ever since. :(

And I can walk 18 in about one hour forty-five by my self, or play with other for 4+ hours and be fine with that. But I'm never the one holding anyone up. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Moving on.

No problem. I have a difficult time reading forum posts sometimes, and try to make sure I use emoticons in appropriate places to prevent others from taking mine the wrong way.

nsxguy: Dude, you need to change your avatar. Almost bought one of those back in the 90s. Been sorry ever since. :(

And I can walk 18 in about one hour forty-five by my self, or play with other for 4+ hours and be fine with that. But I'm never the one holding anyone up. :D

NSX Upgrade Avatar...only starting at $156,000...this one is over $200k. Still sorry? LOL! Cool car.

Stop that... ;)

I was a engineering VP back then. Now I'm much poorer after having to take early retirement. It's OK though, I'm still vertical, own my house, and can even play golf once a week or so. Not so bad. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

No, I was a firmware engineer who specialized in designing deterministic real-time operating systems (RTOS).

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Moving on.

NSX Upgrade Avatar...only starting at $156,000...this one is over $200k. Still sorry? LOL! Cool car.

Stop that... ;)

I was a engineering VP back then. Now I'm much poorer after having to take early retirement. It's OK though, I'm still vertical, own my house, and can even play golf once a week or so. Not so bad. :D

OK, youse guys happy NOW ?!?!?! :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

No, I was a firmware engineer who specialized in designing deterministic real-time operating systems (RTOS).

Would that be like for adaptive cruise control or collision avoidance? Very interesting stuff.

Sure. I once designed a 6 DOF control system for a DARPA project. I could control/repeat any position within .00001". Had to use laser interferometers for positional data. Anyway, we/I'm WAY OT here. Sorry. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

FWIW, that is false math. That is assuming that he always waits to mark, marks, cleans his ball and then replaces before anyone else putts or chips. In reality it is probably closer to an extra 8-12 minutes but to say he is adding that time on to his round is false. He very well could be making up for it and more elsewhere.