2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

Slow play and tourists are so bad in Orlando we're joining a private club. It actually annoys my wife more than me.

Florida = 2 too's

Too hot in the summer

and

Too many tourists in the winter

Truth. The snowbirds are horrible and feels like they are staying longer and longer. Really tired of it.

I have relatives down there and they complain about waiting in line at restaurants filled with snowbirds. Golf courses must be the same.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played Fossil Creek in Ft. Worth yesterday (Memorial day). 5 and a half hours. Got to the first tee and the started said (we are about 15 minutes behind). Should have just left. Two groups on every single tee box and almost 100 degrees out.

That my friend is what golf nightmares are made of!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I played Fossil Creek in Ft. Worth yesterday (Memorial day). 5 and a half hours. Got to the first tee and the started said (we are about 15 minutes behind). Should have just left. Two groups on every single tee box and almost 100 degrees out.

To make it worse I teed off as a single because the starter didn't do his job. I was in town visiting my GF (she doesn't really play but I'm working on it!) and was supposed to play with a family friend but he had to back out the day before. I arrived and was told I had been paired with a twosome. I thought "great! I'll at least have someone to play with!" I got to the tee before my turn to tee off with no one else around. A twosome drove up to the tee and I asked him if they were the twosome I was supposed to play with. They clearly spoke very little English. The man said "no" and waived me on.

I sat there until the fairway cleared and I hit my tee shot. I asked the couple again "my tee time was 11:08, are you sure we aren't supposed to play together?" He again indicated "no." All this occurred within 15 yards of the starter--who never actually started anyone, just took receipts. I went off as a single and they went off as a two some. About a hole later a Marshall came up (I was thinking he had told the twosome behind me that they were supposed to play with me) and asked what my tee time was. I asked about the group behind me and he said that I was supposed have played with them (no kidding) and that I could play with them if I wanted. I asked the twosome again on the next tee if they wanted to play with me "no no it's okay." I figured at this point I had tried so I gave up.

So I played the first 11 holes as a single. Took nearly 3 hours to play the front. On one par 3 I sat in the cart for not quite 25 minutes (I watched a group hole out and two more play the entire hole). It took me roughly 3 minutes to play the hole. Tee shot, driving to the green, hitting a chip, and holing out. Then I waited on the next tee for almost 20 minutes.

On 11 tee the foursome in front of me let me play with them (we still waited on every single shot).

It was a complete mess. I've never experienced a round of golf like it. I wont be going back.

To make it worse I teed off as a single because the starter didn't do his job. I was in town visiting my GF (she doesn't really play but I'm working on it!) and was supposed to play with a family friend but he had to back out the day before. I arrived and was told I had been paired with a twosome. I thought "great! I'll at least have someone to play with!" I got to the tee before my turn to tee off with no one else around. A twosome drove up to the tee and I asked him if they were the twosome I was supposed to play with. They clearly spoke very little English. The man said "no" and waived me on.

I sat there until the fairway cleared and I hit my tee shot. I asked the couple again "my tee time was 11:08, are you sure we aren't supposed to play together?" He again indicated "no." All this occurred within 15 yards of the starter--who never actually started anyone, just took receipts. I went off as a single and they went off as a two some. About a hole later a Marshall came up (I was thinking he had told the twosome behind me that they were supposed to play with me) and asked what my tee time was. I asked about the group behind me and he said that I was supposed have played with them (no kidding) and that I could play with them if I wanted. I asked the twosome again on the next tee if they wanted to play with me "no no it's okay." I figured at this point I had tried so I gave up.

So I played the first 11 holes as a single. Took nearly 3 hours to play the front. On one par 3 I sat in the cart for not quite 25 minutes (I watched a group hole out and two more play the entire hole). It took me roughly 3 minutes to play the hole. Tee shot, driving to the green, hitting a chip, and holing out. Then I waited on the next tee for almost 20 minutes.

On 11 tee the foursome in front of me let me play with them (we still waited on every single shot).

It was a complete mess. I've never experienced a round of golf like it. I wont be going back.

Opposite pairing for me. I was at a nice course in Rancho Mirage in CA. Starter told me I would go out as a single. So I went to the first tee...and this young woman (nice looking hubba hubba) drives up to the tee.box...parks...walks over and asked me if I would mind if she joins me. I was like "sure"...but thinking OH NO...THIS WILL BE THE LONGEST ROUND EVER!. Something was weird because she looked "too comfortable".

So I teed off from the golds, one set ahead of the back tees. I hit my driver around 260, picked up my tee...and turned around...WTF?....she's WALKING towards me to tee off? She proceeds to out-drive me by at least 20, if not 30 yards. She birdied the 1st hole. I bogeyed. I'm 2 down. On #17, I asked how she was scoring. She said "I'm 5 under". I asked if she is a club pro, she said "no, I'm practicing for an LPGA tourney"..

Long story short, to this day i think she was a young Lexi Thompson. And I can tell you is she was waiting for me on every hole....so embarrassing, I shot like 88.

The whole keeping up with group in front is fine as long as there are equal players.

Where I get pissed is when a "player ambassador" is wanting a group of 4 to keep pace with a twosome, especially when that 2 is playing a more forward set of tees as the 4 some.

More than once I have had to go to the head pro and ask if this is policy or just a stupid employee.

In each occasion the pro answered in the affirmative - Stupid!

You don't have to keep pace ... just wave the group behind you through.

Why would we wave people on when we are on a 3:50 hr round pace and the course has a sign indicating that golf is a 4.5 hr round?

This logic would just delay our group by 15 minutes and reset the rest of the people behind us by the same 15 mins, playing the same pace.

The only reason for the employee wanting us to speed up is because there is a hole open in front - and paying no attention to pace of play going on behind that.

As I said, stupid is as stupid does.

I'm not going to debate this anymore just for the sake of argument. I will always let people through if the situation warrants because we are slow, however that is rarely, if ever the case. Case in point, with at least 6 4somes playing in front of us, and a 2 behind, they are not going anywhere because it makes no sense for them to leapfrog the whole course and put every group behind pace. If there were an open hole ahead, by all means they would be waved through.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I played last weekend and it took 5hr 15min. On 13 teebox the ranger showed up and I asked him if it was speeding up in front of us at all. He told me if I wanted to play quickly then I shouldnt be in a twosome at 10 on a Saturday. I told him that being a twosome has nothing to do it. It was like he thought a 5hr plus round was the norm and he was basically afraid to do his job. Infuriating.

I played last weekend and it took 5hr 15min. On 13 teebox the ranger showed up and I asked him if it was speeding up in front of us at all. He told me if I wanted to play quickly then I shouldnt be in a twosome at 10 on a Saturday. I told him that being a twosome has nothing to do it. It was like he thought a 5hr plus round was the norm and he was basically afraid to do his job. Infuriating.

Sounds a little rude but it also sounds like he simply knew 5+ hours was the norm for starting at 10 AM on a Saturday; not that your being in a 2-some had anything to do with it. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Point out that the card says 4:15 as pace and maybe he should do his job.

The whole keeping up with group in front is fine as long as there are equal players.

Where I get pissed is when a "player ambassador" is wanting a group of 4 to keep pace with a twosome, especially when that 2 is playing a more forward set of tees as the 4 some.

More than once I have had to go to the head pro and ask if this is policy or just a stupid employee.

Why would we wave people on when we are on a 3:50 hr round pace and the course has a sign indicating that golf is a 4.5 hr round?

This logic would just delay our group by 15 minutes and reset the rest of the people behind us by the same 15 mins, playing the same pace.

The only reason for the employee wanting us to speed up is because there is a hole open in front - and paying no attention to pace of play going on behind that.

I'm not going to debate this anymore just for the sake of argument. I will always let people through if the situation warrants because we are slow, however that is rarely, if ever the case. Case in point, with at least 6 4somes playing in front of us, and a 2 behind, they are not going anywhere because it makes no sense for them to leapfrog the whole course and put every group behind pace. If there were an open hole ahead, by all means they would be waved through.

So are you saying, as long as you're keeping or ahead of pace according to the time, then you shouldn't let a group play through?

So are you saying, as long as you're keeping or ahead of pace according to the time, then you shouldn't let a group play through?

Here we go again. The proper etiquette for playing through is as follows:

1. Drive or walk around the group playing in front of you.
  2. Turn up music and stare straight ahead as you pass.
  3. As you pass them, fire out an expletive.
  4. When they fire one back, exaggerate how long you have been waiting.
  5. If they approach you, tell them you bruise easily.
  6. Jump to the next hole.

Pretty sure that's what he and everyone driving in the left lane @ the speed limit thinks. Same old, same old. Tomorrow I play my first event, which does mean a 4:30 round & I will do my best to actually try and play slow and maybe take some time around the green. Next week my first matchplay (qualified). Don't expect it change things one way or another.

Sounds a little rude but it also sounds like he simply knew 5+ hours was the norm for starting at 10 AM on a Saturday; not that your being in a 2-some had anything to do with it. :dntknw:

10am on the weekend really leaves no room for complaining, sorry. It's probably the most likely time for long rounds.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Last night during league play, it was just over 2.5 hours for 9 holes... it's brutal

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Weird how different experiences are, me and a friend who just got into the game played 9 last Saturday, and even at his slower pace it was 1:40 to play 9. And even at that pace we had a twosome catch us, and seemed like they were frustrated we let them through. I thought to myself if were holding them up at a 1:40 9 hole pace, why are they rushing so much when there was no group behind them.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Weird how different experiences are, me and a friend who just got into the game played 9 last Saturday, and even at his slower pace it was 1:40 to play 9. And even at that pace we had a twosome catch us, and seemed like they were frustrated we let them through. I thought to myself if were holding them up at a 1:40 9 hole pace, why are they rushing so much when there was no group behind them.

Some people like to play fast. There are some guys I know that would assume not play if they can't play in 3 hours or less. They typically have the first tee time on the sheet and definitely not holding anyone up.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

In what other recreational activity or sport do people time the duration? Hey, let's go bowling! OK Joe, but each game must end in 38.7 minutes! Or, let's play softball...OK Joe, but if the game takes more than 1.67 hours...I'm quitting! Hey, let's play tennis...OK...but if a set takes more than 45 minutes I'm SO DONE with tennis. Hey guys...let's mountain bike! OK, but if we don't run at a 22 mph pace I'm out.

Just seems odd.

It’s not a matter of timing. I don’t carry a watch or phone on the course but I know when it is slow. Here’s a hint. When I am ready to hit a shot and a minute...or two...or three...or four minutes go by and I can’t do it, that means some inconsiderate jerk or jerks are keeping me from doing what I love most, playing golf. When that happens 20 or 30 times a round it sucks.

The fact it all added up to 4 hours, 40 minutes is purely a description of how bad it was. The number is not the problem, the standing around interrupting my game is the problem.

I have an idea for you folks who play slow courses....while you're waiting...if possible...find an open area and have a very short chipping contest. If the tee box is open...stand away and play "closest to the marker" with short chips. Offer up beers for closest to the marker...tree...dead spot...whatever. I did this with my buddies during slow play and we found ourselves getting much better with short chips, and actually looking up to see the green is wide open...and had been for maybe two minutes as we were focused on chipping for beers..

I think it would be beneficial to the thread if you actually read in entirety what I posted, and before posting a reply if you need clarification on the opinions and facts, ask. For that reply, you obviously did not.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

In what other recreational activity or sport do people time the duration? Hey, let's go bowling! OK Joe, but each game must end in 38.7 minutes! Or, let's play softball...OK Joe, but if the game takes more than 1.67 hours...I'm quitting! Hey, let's play tennis...OK...but if a set takes more than 45 minutes I'm SO DONE with tennis. Hey guys...let's mountain bike! OK, but if we don't run at a 22 mph pace I'm out.

Just seems odd.

PLENTY of 'em, even most of the ones you named, especially if it's "organized".

Evening bowling leagues often start at 6 or 6:30 and the next league starts 2.5 hours later. The earlier league is seldom still at it when the next league is ready to start.

Softball. Same-same. Doubleheader leagues start at 6 or 6:20 and another doubleheader league is often starting at 8:30 or 9. Now, with softball you can sometimes have extra innings and that's unfortunate and the second one will have to wait but ordinarily the umpires will have the 2 teams on a clock watch and keep them up to speed.

Tennis ? Plenty of places rent the courts by the hour for recreational players and you gotta be done if there's someone scheduled right after you. Leagues are similar.

These events are "single-threaded", just as golf is.

Mountain biking ? Don't know. Aren't there enough roads for everyone to go at their own pace ? LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Just seems odd.

Evening bowling leagues often start at 6 or 6:30 and the next league starts 2.5 hours later. The earlier league is seldom still at it when the next league is ready to start.

Softball. Same-same. Doubleheader leagues start at 6 or 6:20 and another doubleheader league is often starting at 8:30 or 9. Now, with softball you can sometimes have extra innings and that's unfortunate and the second one will have to wait but ordinarily the umpires will have the 2 teams on a clock watch and keep them up to speed.

Tennis ? Plenty of places rent the courts by the hour for recreational players and you gotta be done if there's someone scheduled right after you. Leagues are similar.

Mountain biking ? Don't know. Aren't there enough roads for everyone to go at their own pace ? LOL

Yeah but folks aren't checking their watches either. I know...golf is different in many ways...but given all the bad play one would think "more time" would be better to align and think thru the shot.

Just seems odd.

Yeah but folks aren't checking their watches either. I know...golf is different in many ways...but given all the bad play one would think "more time" would be better to align and think thru the shot.

And there we have the problem clearly stated!

People think the way to play better is to slow down and do a bunch of stuff before they actually hit the ball. Hello 4-1/2 hours.

Just seems odd.

Introduce having to wait lengthy amount of times on other groups/teams to any sport any I guarantee people will start timing it. It's the nature of things. For activities like Tennis and Bowling you mostly go at the speed of your group alone. If you have someone in the group that upsets the pace you replace them or find another group.

Having a baseball/softball game go into extra innings, therefore increasing the time played, is not quite the same. If one team is so slow that games suddenly start taking 30 to 45 minutes longer I guarantee people will complain and start timing it.

I also want my round to be 330 to 415, maybe 430 at max. If a 4 hour paced group has to let through 3 groups of twosomes that adds 20 plus minutes to their round time.

Also, for y'all that hate sitting and waiting. How do you deer hunt?

It shouldn't delay you at all. Let them through on par 3's. Hit with them, let then putt out, and move on. By the time you get to the next tee they should be long gone and finishing up hitting their seconds and out of your way. It may delay your group 2 min each group, max.

Funny that bowling keeps getting mentioned. Ever notice that you cant ever finish your game(s) in the allotted time and that you have to buy more time? What if the same were true in golf?

Pro Shop: "OK Mr. Slopoke, you are all set, here is your slip for the starter. Course time allotment today accounting for 90* rule is 4:15. If you cannot finish in that time you will be charged $X for each additional minute it takes to finish. Enjoy your round."

Another thing I find really slows up play is the putting alignment lines on golf balls.

And the clowns who use them, but can't make anything outside of 4'. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec