Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

Being a greenskeeper I see firsthand all too often what is slowing golf down and there is not 1 answer. I simple answer is poor play, I work at a nice high end 1/2 resort and 1/2 private course. Wednesday I went out to handwater a few spots on 1 hole. I got there at 1:15 and rolled up the hose at 1:50, during that time I saw 3 groups (well 4 kind of) 1 group was on the green when I got there, 1 on the tee box. The group on the tee box proceeded to dump 3 of 4 tee shots into the garbage, they then tried to play their balls out with only 1 being successful and that only made it 15 yards into the rough and still didn't reach the fairway. It ends up taking this 4some 25 minutes to play 1 hole. Next group on the tee box is annoyed that i'm In the fairway (granted i'm 320 our from the ladies tees) so I move the hose out of play and go stand behind a tree and watch the gentleman who kept motioning for me to hurry up HIT his tee shot off his own leg.

Day before a coworker and I caught a 4some on a par 3. They had just tees off and we're driving away as we pull up. Well here comes the cart girl. 22 minutes later with 1 gentleman on the green, 1 standing in the bunker (yet to hit) and the other 2 still talking to the cart girl only 50 yards off the tee I yell "can we play through", guy on the green waves us up but the guys at the cart girl yell no. So we just drive around them

You're more a gentleman than I lol.

You have quick couplers in the fairway? or just tap into a head?

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was Mule Muffins?/ No?

Speaking of mules, I think this ones been beaten pretty good.

I get cranky for slopokes and speedsters both. You see, if I'm playing a 4 some in the afternoon and we have to let three or four singles and twosomes through our round just tipped over from sub four to well over four and a half through no fault of our own. However if I'm playing as a single in the afternoon I cant understand why i should be held up by that group ahead of me! If those guys would pull over, I could get out of here in 3 or less.

The only answer is for all ya'all to get off MY course when I'm playing. If you see my truck in the car park, don't even stop. See? that was easy. All fixed.

Played 18 in a foursome yesterday in 3:40. Walking, public course, 6400 yard blue tees, scores 86 to 94. All of us good friends, lots of friendly chatting, took time to locate some balls that went into woods and deep rough. Had a little bit of waiting on a twosome for the first few holes but then they moved well ahead.

3:40, felt like a nice pace for that course.

The solution might be in process around here for the jammed up golf courses during the weekend rounds.

Some of the golf courses charge almost twice the green fee for weekend rounds then the weekday. The rate continue to go up each season.... the rule of economic will come in play , when the green fee is high enough to deter some of the weekend warriors to other weekend get away. We have hiking, water spots, cycling had become huge in recent years. miles and miles trail for hiking and biking is available for no fees.

A couple of golfers I used to play with every Summer had moved on to road cycling. Not bad for someone over 70 cycling over 50 miles a day, through lakeside and mountain route.

Eliminate riding carts.

That should clear out the courses. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

Eliminate riding carts.

That should clear out the courses. :D

We can't expect the golf courses to give up a big portion of their revenue ? They're interested in growing the game and balance the book.

I do agree, building walk-able golf courses and eliminating the golf carts will thin the golfer population, but that's the opposite direction the industry wish to go. Plus, a lot of the senior golfer could not walk the 18 any longer but still wish to stay golfing, what do we do there ? Have them get a license to ride on the golf course ?

I think, a mandatory etiquette class for each and every golfer before they step foot on the golf course the first time will do some good. And a refreshing class every few years should keep the memory inline of what to do and not to do on a golf course.

This country does not handle the higher density in any situation well. We're the big Country, with personal freedom and privacy been practiced for centuries. Learning to live with others on or off the golf course is imminent and vital in the next century and beyond.

Golf courses are not interested in 'growing the game', they are interested in more and more profits. Period.

That is why they let company beer parties and wedding receptions containing people who have never swung a club and drunks go out, tear up the course, and slow other players to a crawl. Make them lots of money. Or so they think.

I will eventually become a golfer who cannot walk a full 18, so I think about life after golf a lot. What's that new so-called golf game where you stand on a triple decker and try to hit targets while getting drunk? ;) (note: maybe all the 'my time is precious' types should go there now)

I was reading a thread here where it was described that in parts of Europe you actually have to pass a knowledge and proficiency test before you are allowed to step foot on a golf course. And if you don't follow the rules/etiquette you get warned and eventually thrown off the course and loose your license.

Sounds like a good idea that needs to happen here. But it won't, because of the greed factor. That and those self entitled who think they're special.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Indeed courses want to grow the game. They need the money. No money? No course to play on. In our area we just lost another pretty nice course. I guess they couldn't keep the course full with the 2:15 crowd.

What I gather from reading this type of thread is that some of the really fast players feel they should have the course to themselves at all times whenever they want to play. Reference no beginners at 5pm or Saturday/Sunday morning. You know, when a lot of folks only have those times available themselves. There is a post with an unofficial poll that seems to point out that most players are comfortable playing from 3.5 hours up to and including 4 hours. The poll also shows that the preferred 3.5 to 4 hours but not including 4 hours. Apparently players wanting anything less are outliers.

Ever see those people standing in the checkout at grocery, home center or department store huffing and puffing because they have to wait for a few customers in front of them? Gee, if the store would only open for them their lives would be grand.

As for beginners mentioned here, of course their going to take extra time. However things can be done so they keep up appropriately, such as; teeing from as forward possible (stop calling them ladies tees) or tee off from 150 or less yards. Pick up after 8 strokes etc. This allows them to learn and keep up.

I was reading a thread here where it was described that in parts of Europe you actually have to pass a knowledge and proficiency test before you are allowed to step foot on a golf course. And if you don't follow the rules/etiquette you get warned and eventually thrown off the course and loose your license.

Sounds like a good idea that needs to happen here. But it won't, because of the greed factor. That and those self entitled who think they're special.

Many country has similar rules and requirements, simply because they have limited land use for the golfing population. Quite a few golf courses I had played overseas require a proof of proficiency before they let you onto the golf course. They value the benefit of their existing clients and members. One asked me to hit a few shots on the driving range before they let me join my local friends on the first tee ( I had forgot my GHIN card for the trip ).

We, value individuality and the "rights" for consumer.... even force the general value onto some private golf clubs.

I really could care less about a few private clubs having their own value, as long as their point of view is not interfering mine. There is plenty of space for everyone, at this point. Just like some would feel good driving a $350,000 exotic sports car going speed limit to show off their arrival of success...... I could careless.

Golf courses, in my view, is the management's responsibility to keep a reasonable playing pace. If they cater to those once in awhile clients to pizz off the regular patrons.... I will take my pennies and spend it somewhere else.

If enough regular golfers leave the facility, there would a change to the management, hopefully to the better.

Indeed courses want to grow the game. They need the money. No money? No course to play on. In our area we just lost another pretty nice course. I guess they couldn't keep the course full with the 2:15 crowd.

What I gather from reading this type of thread is that some of the really fast players feel they should have the course to themselves at all times whenever they want to play. Reference no beginners at 5pm or Saturday/Sunday morning. You know, when a lot of folks only have those times available themselves. There is a post with an unofficial poll that seems to point out that most players are comfortable playing from 3.5 hours up to and including 4 hours. The poll also shows that the preferred 3.5 to 4 hours but not including 4 hours. Apparently players wanting anything less are outliers.

Ever see those people standing in the checkout at grocery, home center or department store huffing and puffing because they have to wait for a few customers in front of them? Gee, if the store would only open for them their lives would be grand.

Same as on the roadway, more and more are not observing the safety rules.

Personally, if I could get a round in under 4 1/2 hours, I'll be okay. Playing a round over 5 hours is not acceptable no matter what hour of the day it'll be. Those that are not ready to play on a regulation length golf course would enjoy the game much more by paying an executive style golf course and let the others enjoy their game better.

Why would I care and be thoughtful with those whom never have a second thought for the others ? If someone could not advance the golf ball 100 yards, needs to find a shorter track to practice first.

I don't see someone would get enjoyment out of playing poorly, and it certainly would not grow the game since these golfers whom do not enjoy hacking around , want instant result with a new game, will ever be a regular golfer.

I have nothing against having a few adult beverage on the golf course, but those whom do not know their limit needs to be somewhere private instead on a public golf course.

Same as on the roadway, more and more are not observing the safety rules.

Personally, if I could get a round in under 4 1/2 hours, I'll be okay. Playing a round over 5 hours is not acceptable no matter what hour of the day it'll be. Those that are not ready to play on a regulation length golf course would enjoy the game much more by paying an executive style golf course and let the others enjoy their game better.

Why would I care and be thoughtful with those whom never have a second thought for the others ? If someone could not advance the golf ball 100 yards, needs to find a shorter track to practice first.

I don't see someone would get enjoyment out of playing poorly, and it certainly would not grow the game since these golfers whom do not enjoy hacking around , want instant result with a new game, will ever be a regular golfer.

I have nothing against having a few adult beverage on the golf course, but those whom do not know their limit needs to be somewhere private instead on a public golf course.

Par 3's are great for those learning. In absence of that, beginners should be taught to tee off at 100 or 150 yards and play from there.

As for beginners mentioned here, of course their going to take extra time. However things can be done so they keep up appropriately, such as; teeing from as forward possible (stop calling them ladies tees) or tee off from 150 or less yards. Pick up after 8 strokes etc. This allows them to learn and keep up.

Sorry for the disagreement, but the "beginners" needs to spend their time on par 3 golf courses and the executive type golf courses before they venture on the regulation golf courses. Who would enjoy the game if they couldn't advance the golf ball in a few stokes ? 8 stroke is way, way over the reasonable number for advancing the golf ball.

Other ways to "enjoy" the golf game by a beginner is to tee it up whenever possible. Put a tee down for the approach shot, nothing wrong with that.

No brave "beginner" will venture onto the golf course by themselves, so the persons took them or " invite them" to play should be the guardian to help keep the playing pace, and know when to say when, even need to pull themselves off the golf course.

I just don't see the point of someone spending the green fee ( and golf cart fee ), can't enjoy the game, and screw up other's time on the golf course. Like asking a toddler to run a 400 meter race when they couldn't even run a 50 meter full out .

To grow the game is to make sure everyone enjoy the game , including the beginners and the low index holders, alike.

I can bet if the beginners have a more pleasant experience from the beginning will hook them on the game for life , where a frustrating time will push them away.

SNIP:

100% but that is another thread altogether.

SNIP:

100% but that is another thread altogether.

People whom have no consideration for the others or simply to observe the rules will always be the trouble maker.

Some just never grow out of their teenage mode.

Quote from Dirty Harry " Man's got to know his limit ! "

Four and a half hours is about my limit for 'enjoyable' if I'm playing with a good group. Years ago I played a few USGA tournaments and those were 5+ hours.

Four and a half isn't so bad after that. Between three and a half and four is probably my sweet spot with a decent (under 15 hc) group.

Now if we could get some of these clowns to fix divots, ball marks on the green, properly rake traps, and not step within a foot of the hole, etc., I might be a happy camper. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Four and a half hours is about my limit for 'enjoyable' if I'm playing with a good group. Years ago I played a few USGA tournaments and those were 5+ hours.

Four and a half isn't so bad after that. Between three and a half and four is probably my sweet spot with a decent (under 15 hc) group.

Now if we could get some of these clowns to fix divots, ball marks on the green, properly rake traps, and not step within a foot of the hole, etc., I might be a happy camper. :D

I have yet to be able to walk my home course is less than 3:35 in a foursome but that in part may be that its decently long and bit hilly.

I agree anything near 5 or over is brutal. Though if it's a charity scramble and I'm out there with my buddies and drinking a few beers we can entertain ourselves plus we expect it.

By the way - the round was 4 1/2 hours with a bit or waiting on the front and quite a bit on the back.

It sounds to me like they were trying to keep the group moving. I find it interesting that you complain about people being too fast when a round took 4 1/2 hours.

He's not complaining about people playing "too fast" as much as people claiming "fast" (3-5 hours or less) is the only acceptable way to play. And that is EXACTLY what the under 3.5 guys are doing - it's my way or the highway.

Play fast so you don't inconvenience ME. I don't care if playing faster inconveniences YOU.

Point is RSJ has made any number of posts showing he is FLEXIBLE; unlike all the speedsters. He can play faster and he can deal with slower. The speedsters attitude however, is, "If you ain't fast (as I am), you're SLOW".

As the beloved Colonel Potter once said "Mule fritters".

You don't hear ANYONE supporting anything over 4:30, do you ? Of course not, because if they did they'd be ridiculed no end and laughed off the site.

I don't know what posts you've been reading, but you're sure interpreting differently than I am. Isn't anyone who talks about slow play bothering them doing so because it inconveniences them? A 4 1/2 hour group bitching about a five hour group is complaining because they're being inconvenienced.

I've seen a lot of people wonder why it takes others as long to play as it does, but rarely (with one exception) have they said it's the only way to play. Also, very few have out and out said "if you're not as fast as us, you're slow"

RSJ has always said he can play faster if needed, I've never questioned that. But you answer the question I just asked then. Does that group he mentioned having played with sound like people getting tired of waiting on someone else in the group and trying to keep their group in position? It does to me.

He felt rushed. It was a 4 1/2 hour round! Seems to me there is a lot to read from that story between the lines.

He said, and you quoted it "By the way - the round was 4 1/2 hours with a bit or waiting on the front and quite a bit on the back." Personally I don't read that as him "complaining", just referencing that he and his group would've been quite a bit faster if they weren't held up. i.e. he's NOT slow.

I *seem* to recall him talking about 3.5 not bothering him but I'm too lazy to go back and look.

Further, NO "4 1/2 hour group" has bitched about a 5 hour group simply because most of the others here would have bombarded him with "4.5 ? Are you kidding ?!?!?!" Do you see ANYONE in these kind of threads saying "I LIKE playing in 4.5 - 5 hours" ? Of course not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I played in a 4-some about 4 days and ago and we not only caught up to a 3-some in front of us but still finished in 2:50. I figure they cost us about 15 minutes over all so that would have been about 2:35. WAY too fast and possibly a reason I didn't play as well as I might have. Almost felt like i was running around the course trying to finish before a hurricane.

NOT fun at all !!!

Love the Col Potter reference by the way.

M*A*S*H was always my favorite TV comedy even now, after I've come to love The Big Bang Theory. (Got Seinfeld 3rd).

M*A*S*H is on almost all day a lot of says on a couple of channels even now. I still toggle to it when there's nothing else that captures my interest and I still laugh out loud at a lot of the situations and I pretty much know every punch line before they say it.

Always trips up the non-M*A*S*H fan with some trivia.

Who was on the series longer ?

Colonel Blake or Colonel Potter (surprisingly a LOT of people get this one wrong)

Trapper John or BJ.

Frank Burns or Charles Emerson Winchester the 3rd (<--- This is the tough one)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I know no one cares but...

I’m not sure that I have ever once complained about pace of play braggadocious I know. When I played as a single just hopped around if it was late evening, or dropped extra balls. If I was paired up I just enjoyed being out on the course, was no€™t worried about work, family obligations only golf. If it was strangers we’d talk about anything and everything, Golf often being the last thing. If it€™s my buddies or tour players it’s all needling lol. In tournaments I can’€™t change pop, so I didn’€™t worry about it.

Ps none of y’all can hold a candle to MJ. Everyone on this board is a snail compared to him, it’s almost not fun you’re playing polo.

Played with a guy twice in the past two weeks that is the slowest player I've ever met. Short hitter, yet plays from the back tee's. Shot over 100 both times I played with him. Took 5-10 practice swing EVERY shot, even on the green with putting strokes. They guy would survey the green before chip shots, only to not even hit the green with said chip shot. Would examine every corner of the green for his putt, only to completely mis-read the green. I shot a 43 over the 9 holes I played with him, and 33 over the last 9 without him. We had to let two groups play through because HE alone was playing too slow. By the seventh hole as I was about to lose my mind, I decided to make a comment to the group that we needed to pick up the pace a little, I didn't want to let a third group play through us. Mr. Slow obviously doesn't hear a word I say, continues on with his 10 practice strokes just to miss hit the ball, or hit it OB and look for it well past 5 minutes.

I mean how do you guys deal with people like this? Do you call the clubhouse on your own group? I understand the guy paid to play a round of golf as well, but it took us two and a half hours to get to the 7th hole's tee box. It was literally only him slowing us down. Do I tell him he's slow and affect his game? What would y'all do in this situation? I tried to be as kind and courteous as I could, but when the THIRD group played through, luckily they allowed me to join them and I hit with them.

that is a nightmare... but why in hell did you play with him a SECOND time?

Twilight golf, first come first serve. I was a single, and so was he. No choice.

Always a one way street for you isn't it RSJ? It's always the other guy at fault.

Two instance now where the bigger number of people wanted to play faster than the single one. But both times they're the "sel-entitled a**hats" aren't they?

Nope - give and take on both side typically works. But people like he described (and I played with) have zero concept of "give".

"They would tee off, and started walking with their caddies as I tee'd off, on the greens they would putt out and walk to the next tee as I'm putting. on a few holes they already tee'd off before I even got there" is NOT the behavior of a respectful person/group.

I'm heading out to play shortly - 10:45 on a Saturday. So my expectation is 5 hrs. I plan for that. If it is faster, great. If not ... well the course will be full. So be it.

By the way - the round was 4 1/2 hours with a bit or waiting on the front and quite a bit on the back.

It sounds to me like they were trying to keep the group moving. I find it interesting that you complain about people being too fast when a round took 4 1/2 hours.

You mis-read what I meant. The 4 1/2 hour round was yesterday when I started at 10:30.

And as I say, the guys at St Andrews were self-entitled "beeps". I was actually just was talking about this thread with my gf this afternoon I had forgotten a detail I remembered when I was talking to her. The day was somewhat warm and occasional sprinkles. I wanted to take my sweater off as I felt too hot with it on. But I literally had no time to take it off. and put it in my bag. I'm telling you - and you just need to trust me - these guys were out and out jerks.

I don't know what posts you've been reading, but you're sure interpreting differently than I am. Isn't anyone who talks about slow play bothering them doing so because it inconveniences them? A 4 1/2 hour group bitching about a five hour group is complaining because they're being inconvenienced.

I've seen a lot of people wonder why it takes others as long to play as it does, but rarely (with one exception) have they said it's the only way to play. Also, very few have out and out said "if you're not as fast as us, you're slow"

RSJ has always said he can play faster if needed, I've never questioned that. But you answer the question I just asked then. Does that group he mentioned having played with sound like people getting tired of waiting on someone else in the group and trying to keep their group in position? It does to me.

He felt rushed. It was a 4 1/2 hour round! Seems to me there is a lot to read from that story between the lines.

As I mentioned just now - yuo mis-read what I wrote. The round yesterday at 10:30 was 4 1/2 hrs. Not the one in Scotland.

As I mentioned just now - yuo mis-read what I wrote. The round yesterday at 10:30 was 4 1/2 hrs. Not the one in Scotland.

I did, got the posts mixed up. Apologies.

I did, got the posts mixed up. Apologies.

NP. I can see why there would have been confusion.

Had a "fun" 9 yesterday. Started the first hole with 3 other guys who wanted to stick together so let me play through. I get to to the second tee long after the cart in front disappeared from the first hole. Its a young guy and likely his GF playing from one bag in the cart...... Oh boy. So she was clearly very, very, very new at golf. She would hit the ball, maybe 10-20 yards at best and follow after it while the BF slowly rode along side with the cart. Not even giving her the slightest amount of advice as she hacked away!! When they finally got to his ball, he would hit and then let her repeat the process.

Now dont get me wrong, everyone has to learn but I dont think 5pm on a decent day when people are trying to squeeze in a quick 9 after work is the right time. Also, get your own clubs. I dont know what the minimum distance a beginner should be able to hit before getting on a real course is, but 20 yards is not it! She needed way more range time, and a BF who can teach her....

Also, they barely acknowledged they were holding me up. I could have easily just driven it over their head at least twice and been gone before they knew it. Not that im looking back, I should have! He also threw a putter to her while she was standing on the green which she dropped and took a chunk out. Totally poor etiquette to boot.

Miraculously after 5 holes they skipped one and I was able to finish a few holes at my own pace. Might not have actually been the longest 9 of my life but it felt like it!

5:00 on a weekday seems just about the perfect time for a beginner to be out there.

Maybe it depends on the course but in my experience that would be one of the worst times.

Agreed, 5:00pm on a weekday, a beginner is going to have a lineup of after-work speedster singles and twosomes (including me) standing with their hands on their hips behind him getting cranky because their chance at getting in 9-18 holes before dark is being put at risk.

Maybe they work too. When SHOULD they be on the course ? Saturday and Sunday ???

Saturday and Sunday around 5pm might not be a bad choice depending on the course. Where I grew up there is a course that is dead after 2pm on most weekends. That would be a great time for that course. As for weekdays 2 hours before sunset when into the summer months would also probably be good.

I lived in CA for a stretch in the late 90s, and there was nothing more aggravating than the Saturday outings that courses would schedule. I suppose they were just out ahead of the financial management curve, because the local course my buddy and I played here in SW Ohio had just that going on Saturday. We had a 3 pm tee time, which in our area, even on a weekend, isn't always necessary for two, but this was the only opportunity we had to play possibly for the entire month. We get there and there are two outings out on the course. I'm talking about children running around on the course outings. Drunks scrambling. We left after 7 holes at 2.5 hours and had a polite, professional discussion with the gentleman in the clubhouse about the merits of putting regular tee times out after these groups. They apologized, but it had the air of being routine, almost practiced. Like this is the new normal boys. We're sorry. Please accept this raincheck and come back and do the same thing all over again sometime. Or go somewhere else, because we've got it figured out now.

I'd venture that we fall squarely in the avid, core golfer group. Low handicap golf nuts that get amped up to play. We buy stuff from the cart girl. We have a little bit riding on the round usually. I think we're going to get left behind in the noise in our area, because the trend is course closings and less availability. More outings means less carping by the local city/local/county administrators that are desperate to cease subsidizing these public courses. The public courses that aren't city/county park are so financially stressed that the conditions aren't worth the greens fee or the lost opportunity to play somewhere nicer. The course management would rather cultivate a reputation for being a great place to have an outing than a great place for core, avid players to enjoy a reasonable weekend round. My response there is "knock yourself out". I'll find a way to get the mileage out of the two rainchecks and I'll likely never be back. And I guarantee you they couldn't care less. It doesn't matter that we fix divots and repair ball marks, because the outing and casual/beginner crowd doesn't give a whit about that.

Local courses that used to have great playing surfaces now have big, beautiful new clubhouses where the city administrators come for lunch and afternoon meetings, because, you know, it's convenient and they've pumped millions into the clubhouse so they may as well use it. Then you play the course and it appears to be a weird mix of people that have never played before, rangers on their day off, city admin types that play like they own the place (and I guess, in a way, they do). Gone are the core players, as best I can tell, because the course is all hat (big fancy clubhouse and lots of beautiful landscaping) and no cattle (substandard playing surfaces).

But the fellow there a few weeks ago told me just like it was. The public course north of me that held the big fancy national golf tournament years ago is way down on its luck, so there aren't many alternatives without driving to Dayton or Indy or Lexington. In other words, with courses closing or teetering on bankruptcy (at least that what the conditioning would lead you to believe), we're still here so you get what you get. It's amazing how great conditioning on a mediocre layout will keep you coming out, but when things slip, you realize what a poor example of architecture it really is.

There are some nice private courses near me, but as a public golfer for my entire life, I'm not sure I could ever adapt to playing most of my golf on one course. But if you're chasing decent conditions where I am, the alternatives are about down to one or two courses, or a third that has a ticket that would be no different than joining a private club.

Technology exists today that would solve much of the slow play problem, but courses will never drive the development and adoption of it because it doesn't suit the outing crowd. And that appears to be where the revenue is.