Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to play golf without waiting is to be the first group off, if that is possible. We are always the first group off, walk and play in about 3 hours.

being retired is a nice option too.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

We have the 2nd tee time weekdays. Our foursome typically plays in just over 3 hours. We don't rush, we socialize, joke, jab at each other and otherwise have fun. That just happens to be our pace of play. We just play ready golf. The 1st group off, sometimes a 5-some, now they appear to rush through their round. I can't imagine they even hole out most of the time. Our group consists of 4.2/9.5/14.3/16.9 index golfers with a mix of playing characteristics. Me (4.2) and the 14.3 typically take one practice swing and pull the trigger. The 9.5 has an elaborate and lengthy pre-shot routine that never varies while the 16.9 can be the 1st one ready to tee off but will hang back to go off last and will take as many as three practice swings then stand over the ball for what seem like forever to hit.

The point of all this is that anyone can play faster without rushing by just doing a lot of little things that add up over the course of a round. Playing ready golf, if riding drop one guy off at his ball while driving to the other, don't spend a lot of time putting clubs away after the shot, get in the cart and put them away when you get to you next shot. we even start moving while a partner's ball is still in the air.

While I agree that there are courses that feed into this poor pace of play, I hate to see anyone quit playing because of it. In my mind, if I can't tee off at 8:30 or earlier, it's not worth booking a tee time until the twilight time frame. Something about finishing a round as the wind is dying down and the shadows are stretching across the ground that I find peaceful. It's typically pretty quiet on the course by then too.

Our group is the same with early tee times. We all start work at 5am during the week so even 6-630 tee times work for us thankfully. In our area twilight is possibly the worst time to golf. As soon as the tee times get cheaper the courses get crammed with groups. We have started booking the tee times a few groups before twilight rates kick in and it's usually empty in front of us all round.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

My strong preference is to tee off before almost everyone else and walk, usually done in 3 hours and also avoid the worst of the heat. One added benefit is the dew on the grass keeps the clubs nice and clean. Being essentially alone on a quiet golf course when it is cool with light wind - doesn't get any better than that.

The guys I play with however are not early risers so if I play with them I have to accept a mid-morning start time and a likely 4.5 hour or longer round. Have to fight the urge to blame poor shots on the fact I had to wait 10 minutes to attempt the shot during these rounds.

I completely agree with the thoughts shared in this thread about the timing gap between groups, should be at least 10 minutes but is normally 7-8 where I play. I've taken to practicing chipping behind/around the tee boxes while waiting to tee off. The worst is when you are standing there in the fairway (or rough) waiting for the green to clear. Some golfers are so damn slow - I hope I'm not that slow, I don't think I am but I bet they don't think they are either :)

It's really too bad that more courses don't actively manage pace of play. Many see increasing intervals as cutting revenue when they could actually make more money by having longer intervals. More consistent round times means you can start twilight pricing later and more "better" golfers will be willing to take tee times after 10am. It's more important to look at how many groups can finish vs how many groups can start. A full course is like a funnel, water only comes out so fast. Pouring more in faster just makes both back up and overflow.

3.5 hour long 9 hole round, it was horrible. Rain was on and off but it was the group in front of us that looked for balls forever, didnt drop people off to hit and never played ready golf.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I'm spoiled this year 'cause I joined a rural private course and almost never have to wait on anybody.

Yesterday, a 5some went off the first tee while I was waiting for my buddy. We teed off when they were on about the 3rd tee. I figured no sweat, they'll let a twosome through.

Holy smokes! We both shot 77 and never caught them! Cripes, we never even gained on them.....maybe they didn't putt out!

I'm spoiled this year 'cause I joined a rural private course and almost never have to wait on anybody.

Yesterday, a 5some went off the first tee while I was waiting for my buddy. We teed off when they were on about the 3rd tee. I figured no sweat, they'll let a twosome through.

Holy smokes! We both shot 77 and never caught them! Cripes, we never even gained on them.....maybe they didn't putt out!

Heh. We have a group like that. Old guys, always play as a group of five, and they all have their own cart. If you are a twosome playing ahead of these guys, they'll push you pretty hard.

Ironically there is another thread where some Snowflakes are upset that the starter would challenge their desire to play the tips.

Exactly!

You can't have it both ways.

People play high end courses on the weekend that are so packed they require a starter.

But then they'll be the first to jump in a thread to complain about 5-6 hour rounds because of slow play.

And they refuse to rationalize that playing rearward tee boxes slows down the Pace of Play.

And they refuse to rationalize that playing rearward tee boxes slows down the Pace of Play.

Erroneous, over generalized statement. Those who can actually play from the tips do not slow down pace of play.

A comment I made earlier was about using handicap as the sole criteria for determining tee boxes, which is stupid. I know some older guys that play to single digits, but they play from more forward tees because they no longer have the length they once had.

Conversely, those who want the 'experience' of playing from the tips (or those who just think they deserve it), but can't hit a drive 250 yards if someone put a gun to their back have no business playing from back there.

So let them tee off, and if their drives are a bit 'lacking' have them move up on subsequent holes. If they don't like it, ask them to leave.

As others have suggested, better tee time spacing, and having groups play ready golf would help even further to improve pace of play. There is no one simple answer to the problem, but improvements can be made by both players and course managers.

I'm just glad I no longer have to play on the weekends. It's a bit selfish on my part, but it is what it is. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

Erroneous, over generalized statement. Those who can actually play from the tips do not slow down pace of play.

A comment I made earlier was about using handicap as the sole criteria for determining tee boxes, which is stupid. I know some older guys that play to single digits, but they play from more forward tees because they no longer have the length they once had.

Conversely, those who want the 'experience' of playing from the tips (or those who just think they deserve it), but can't hit a drive 250 yards if someone put a gun to their back have no business playing from back there.

So let them tee off, and if their drives are a bit 'lacking' have them move up on subsequent holes. If they don't like it, ask them to leave.

Yes.

Why dictate someone's manner of enjoying the course. Some idiotic formula about handicaps (as if they were actually accurate anyway) vs. tee boxes is just going to annoy people for no purpose.

If you want to dictate the speed at which someone plays, then make them speed up when they fall behind. Period. Directly address the problem, don't try to come up with some "rule" about tee boxes that will magically speed up slowpokes. Won't work, can't work. There are plenty of people who would take 5-1/2 hours from the ladies tees if left to their own sense of pace.

The only thing that will meaningfully impact pace of play is being willing to tell someone who is holding up the groups behind to play quicker or leave the course. Anything short of that is just wishful thinking.

All this guff about tee-time spacing and so forth is fine for what it is. There are plenty of ways to enable people who want to play quickly to do just that. But all it takes is one group who are determined to be out there for 5+ hours and the entire course bogs down behind them. No matter what anyone else wants.

I agree with North Butte in that you have to directly address the problem by having course staff willing and able to tell the slow player he needs to speed up or leave. However, I will never understand most courses' unwillingness to possibly annoy one slow offending group by telling them to move it faster or beat it, yet are totally willing to annoy dozens of other paying customers behind the slow group who get frustrated by the pace due to the staff's inaction and might decide to play somewhere else next time instead.

Personally I'd be willing to pay a higher price to play a course with a strictly enforced pace policy but I am probably in a small minority. Joe Sixpack cares more about price and not getting harassed by a ranger, because "this is 'Merica and I paid my money to play here and will play at my pace."

I have been playing golf for almost 30 years and I am without question currently playing the best golf of my life at 45 years old. I usually break 80 and absolutely love the game like I did 30 years ago, but I am so frustrated by how long these rounds are becoming simply due to course mismanagement / disinterest.

I played golf yesterday and the round started off slow and got progressively worse. By the time we get to the 10th hole there is four groups on the hole (two on the tee box) and that continued on 11 & 12. At that point it took 3 hr 20 minutes to play 12 holes and judging by how it was becoming increasingly slower the final 6 holes would have certainly taken 2 hours no exaggeration.

When we were on 10 we realized that there was a fivesome three groups ahead. A couple of people called the clubhouse to complain and the marshall faked outrage about the whole thing when he knowingly let them go off that way. They did nothing about breaking it up even though they gave us the lip service that they were going to do something about it.

So I left after the 12th hole because the whole thing was ridiculous and I would have only been able to play 2-3 more holes anyways. I never would have imagined a 10am tee time would have been a 5 1/2 hour round.

Here is what pissed me off. When I left the 12th hole and headed back to the clubhouse it turns out that a really bad foursome and the fivesome behind them were holding up the whole golf course. There was only two groups on 16, a twosome on 17, and nobody on 18!!! So I played the 18th hole and left.

When are these golf courses going to get it in their heads that there is consistent money to be made on the weekend mornings if you run a tight ship? If word gets out that a quality gold course us having 4 1/2 hour rounds the tee sheet for Sat & Sun will be full by Monday evening and have plenty of repeat customers. I am really starting to believe that golf course mgmt are their own worst enemy in this matter.

I am seriously thinking about playing less golf because I am so tired of this crap. I love the game of golf. I love the decision making and creativity aspect of the game, but I am seriously getting turned off by this nonsense.

Am I wrong that golf courses are missing out on an opportunity to profit off the poor management of other golf courses? Hotels and restaurants that are well managed and offer quality service can stay in business for a long time. Have golf course mgmt just become indifferent to the whole thing, lazy, lack of true mgmt skills?

I have never worked in the golf industry in any capacity and do not care to because I just love playing. I may very well being missing something, or taking too simplistic of a look at the whole thing. Your thoughts? I am beyond frustrated.

When those golf courses start giving refunds to disgruntled golfers, they may make changes. $ is all that matters in America, especially now.

We play in a league. 5:15 Tee Time, shotgun start.

There is another league that tees off at 4:00 to 4:30...NOT a shotgun start. The course always puts us on the same 9, due to a ladies lesson/league night on the other 9.

For the last month, we've never got done before 7:45. Always waiting on every hole. We tell the ranger about the slow play, he shrugs his shoulders & drives off.

We're considering moving to a different course. No way EVERY week should take 2.5 hours for 9 holes. It's almost not fun anymore.

There is another league that tees off at 4:00 to 4:30...NOT a shotgun start. The course always puts us on the same 9, due to a ladies lesson/league night on the other 9.

For the last month, we've never got done before 7:45. Always waiting on every hole. We tell the ranger about the slow play, he shrugs his shoulders & drives off.

We're considering moving to a different course. No way EVERY week should take 2.5 hours for 9 holes. It's almost not fun anymore.

Have you considered that YOUR league clogs up the course for anyone wanting to sneak in a twilight round?

As others have suggested, better tee time spacing, and having groups play ready golf would help even further to improve pace of play. There is no one simple answer to the problem, but improvements can be made by both players and course managers.

I'm just glad I no longer have to play on the weekends. It's a bit selfish on my part, but it is what it is. ;)

Erroneous!!

You're assuming everyone that plays from the tips, or even one up from the tips, can actually play from the tips - and aren't the knuckleheads that want to get their money's worth, or have (as someone else suggested) wrx-distance, or have vanity caps.

Erroneous!!

You're assuming everyone that plays from the tips, or even one up from the tips, can actually play from the tips - and aren't the knuckleheads that want to get their money's worth, or have (as someone else suggested) wrx-distance, or have vanity caps.

But, your statement seems to imply that no one really has any business playing from the tips. I personally took it as applying to those that really have no business on them, but his reply seems to imply that he took your statement more literally.

Yes, there are people who should tee ut forward. Those people doing so will speed up their pace of play. But, the golfers who belong on the tips moving forward really doesn't effect anything other than the fact that they'll be waiting more for the group ahead of them.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Erroneous!!

But, your statement seems to imply that no one really has any business playing from the tips. I personally took it as applying to those that really have no business on them, but his reply seems to imply that he took your statement more literally.

Yes, there are people who should tee ut forward. Those people doing so will speed up their pace of play. But, the golfers who belong on the tips moving forward really doesn't effect anything other than the fact that they'll be waiting more for the group ahead of them.

No, not really, if you "belong" playing from the tips you're no more going to be waiting on the group in front of you than any other group, because the landing area for your tee shot shouldn't really change regardless your skill level.

Erroneous!!

No, not really, if you "belong" playing from the tips you're no more going to be waiting on the group in front of you than any other group, because the landing area for your tee shot shouldn't really change regardless your skill level.

If I move 20-30 yards forward on some holes, my landing zone will most definitely change. I am not going to lay up to hit my 2nd shot from the same yardage.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

...all it takes is one group who are determined to be out there for 5+ hours and the entire course bogs down behind them. No matter what anyone else wants.

While that is certainly true, in my experience it is less common than this scenario:

Group 3 loses 2 minutes

Group 5 loses 3 minutes

Group 6 loses 3 minutes

Group 8 loses 2 minutes

Group 10 loses 4 minutes

This is what we would typically see on a bad day, and you might be surprised at how difficult it is to improve the times later in the day when you have too many of these small gaps early in the day. Try telling a group they're off pace when it looks to them like they are in position -- they either get mad or (more often) just totally blow you off.

Once the spacing gets tighter, things like a lost ball or a tough green have a dramatic impact on the experience of groups behind.

Erroneous!!

Please go back and re-read my post. I didn't 'assume' anything. But you did when you (apparently) read my post.

The sentence where I suggest letting the group tee of and then adjust accordingly, if necessary, contradicts your comment. And the sentence prior to that addressed the so-called knuckleheads you speak of.

What part of my post didn't you understand?

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Have you considered that YOUR league clogs up the course for anyone wanting to sneak in a twilight round?

usually 9 Hole leagues are more of a social event than a serious event. Probably some drinking going on and goofing around, that's what 9-hole leagues are generally all about. I sort of expect longer nine-hole rounds when it's League Play.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I really wonder if the two-person cart is a major contributor to slow play.

So often we all see the cart in the left side of the fairway, with the playing partner just sitting in the cart instead of heading to their ball and preparing.

Obviously carts are here to stay, and should. But I would love to see a test run of smaller, one person carts.

Just a thought.

I really wonder if the two-person cart is a major contributor to slow play.

So often we all see the cart in the left side of the fairway, with the playing partner just sitting in the cart instead of heading to their ball and preparing.

Obviously carts are here to stay, and should. But I would love to see a test run of smaller, one person carts.

Just a thought.

I have thought about this also. I think a small(er) one-person cart would better facilitate ready-golf where everyone just goes to their ball and gets ready to hit.

I saw something a while back that looked like a oversized skateboard with a golf bag on the front. At my age I'm not sure that would be an option. I'd rather have something where my aging reflexes and balance are less critical to keeping me from doing a faceplant in a fairway someplace. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Here is something I have been following for some time. They have made progress this year and it might be time for them to be effective?

http://ellweegolf.com/

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Rangers asking a group to play faster is great, but it's even more helpful if the ranger can offer some suggestions for how to play faster: pick up after two putts, stop at double-par, drop new ball without penalty if you can't find one in 30 seconds, and so on. Sometimes, the slower new-ish players are too focused on rules and scores to realize that these are options (and that it doens't matter if the final score is 108 or 112).

Erroneous!!

Please go back and re-read my post. I didn't 'assume' anything. But you did when you (apparently) read my post.

The sentence where I suggest letting the group tee of and then adjust accordingly, if necessary, contradicts your comment. And the sentence prior to that addressed the so-called knuckleheads you speak of.

What part of my post didn't you understand?

What part didn't I understand?

Any part after you accused me of overgeneralizing, and then giving your own, albeit long winded, overgeneralized opinion.

It would be my advice that if you're expecting to have intelligent conversations with people other than children that you learn to control your need to act like a pompous, self-righteous jerk...all the time.