Getting really frustrated by the length of rounds.

mark174ace

thug the bunny - your point is well taken, they are the exception not the rule. I would clarify, for the sake of new golfers, that while 6hr rounds are rare, they are not uniformly distributed across courses. If they happen on a course with extraordinarily slow play, it is likely that course management is contributing to the problem, and they can probably find a better run course that doesn't have those problems.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The length of rounds is directly correlated to the length of tees played. Most folks should be playing the red tees until they can shoot par, then move back a tee. I can't book a time on a public course anymore because I know hackers will choose the blues or blacks and stop up the entire course like a giant turd in a toilet.

The length of rounds is directly correlated to the length of tees played. Most folks should be playing the red tees until they can shoot par, then move back a tee. I can't book a time on a public course anymore because I know hackers will choose the blues or blacks and stop up the entire course like a giant turd in a toilet.

If people could only move back once they're shooting par then there would never be a handicap over 10.

If people could only move back once they're shooting par then there would never be a handicap over 10.

Why not scratch? Actually, I estimate a bogey golfer would see a 3-4 stroke improvement because the difference in ratings between whites and blues on many courses is between 1.5 to 2 strokes, and given the red tees are often placed about the same distance ahead of the whites as the whites are from the blues, the difference would be 1.5 to 2 rating strokes to the reds. Plus, still gotta hit the greens and still gotta chip and putt.

Pebble Beach's course rating from blues to whites drops by 1.3 strokes (72.6 to 71.3) along with a reduction of 338 yards in course length. So that's 1.3 strokes for every 338 yards. The red tees are 867 yards shorter than the whites. So quick math based on blues vs whites rating reduction results in a 68 course rating for the reds. That's only 3.3 strokes less than the whites at 71.3.

What i actually did here was defeat my own assertion that playing the red tees would speed up rounds. Or if it did, it would only be by an average of ((3.3 hitting strokes x 1.5 seconds) + (9 practice swings x 3.3 x 1.5 seconds)), or 49.5 seconds. .

If you can't find courses providing decent pace of play you aren't trying.

Or, you just don't have many options. Not every plane on the country is saturated with courses. If I wanted to add an hour of drive time to my day, I could play a course I know is easily a 4 hour round. But it's not very nice, or challenging.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Or, you just don't have many options. Not every plane on the country is saturated with courses. If I wanted to add an hour of drive time to my day, I could play a course I know is easily a 4 hour round. But it's not very nice, or challenging.

Move or suck it up.

Move or suck it up.

Thank you for you wisdom. I'm glad that you are able contribute such deep thoughts to this community. Very profound.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Have you voiced your concerns with slow pace to management? If so, do you do so on a regular basis?

Have you voiced your concerns with slow pace to management? If so, do you do so on a regular basis?

To be honest. It's hit and miss for me. I have gotten pretty good at knowing the peak times. Typically, if there's slow play afoot, it's one inconsiderate group that makes the day long for everyone.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

To be honest. It's hit and miss for me. I have gotten pretty good at knowing the peak times. Typically, if there's slow play afoot, it's one inconsiderate group that makes the day long for everyone.

Exactly it's often one group and that should be fixable with a call to the pro shop.

Move or suck it up.

There is another option, you could get on a Golf Forum thread and complain about it.

Bottom line is this, if you play golf at a municipal golf course especially on the weekends there's no way of stopping slow play. You could ask golf courses to do 12 minutes spreads between groups, but that won't happen. With the internet the way it is rangers don't want to force people to play faster and cause problems. Slow play is here to stay. You've got to pick your times and places to play.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Exactly it's often one group and that should be fixable with a call to the pro shop.

Good concept, but there are no marshals. It's been tried with little success. But, as I said, pretty limited selection of courses. So, unless I it's egregious, I basically brush it off. Some folks have it a lot worse

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Rediculous. It should be based on how far they can hit their clubs. If you can drive the ball 220yd or more a 6500yd course (usually blue tees in FL) is just fine.

180yd or less is women or senior tees, white is 200yd average, etc.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Rediculous. It should be based on how far they can hit their clubs. If you can drive the ball 220yd or more a 6500yd course (usually blue tees in FL) is just fine.

180yd or less is women or senior tees, white is 200yd average, etc.

And most people hitting 220 yard drives on 6500 yard courses clog-up the courses because their 220 yard drives are never in the fairway. The "rediculous" thing is you don't have spell check.

There are plenty of people who would take 4+ hours teeing it up from the 150 marker on every hole.

And they still wouldn't shoot close to par.

The statement about shooting par from a forward tee before moving back is ridiculous because 99% of people wouldn't shoot par from 5,000'yards.

Sshhhh youre gonna ruin his fantasy

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

There are plenty of people who would take 4+ hours teeing it up from the 150 marker on every hole.

The statement about shooting par from a forward tee before moving back is ridiculous because 99% of people wouldn't shoot par from 5,000'yards.

Alright guys...you're having fun at my expense...it's funny....and y'all may not be far off re teeing from 150 markers (Lol)....but that's exactly my point. People should AT LEAST play tees whereby they have a shred of a chance of making a few pars.

Alright guys...you're having fun at my expense...it's funny....and y'all may not be far off re teeing from 150 markers (Lol)....but that's exactly my point. People should AT LEAST play tees whereby they have a shred of a chance of making a few pars.

Agee with that. And sorry, wasn’t trying to single you out on it, that idea has flaoated around here numerous times in the past.

Agee with that. And sorry, wasn’t trying to single you out on it, that idea has flaoated around here numerous times in the past.

No problem...the comment "they couldn't par if they teed-off from 150" was funny...and sadly true. So what's that? A par 3 course. I played tons of par 3 courses when I learned golf which really helped later on in the overall improvement process. It's too bad par 3 courses aren't more popular.

Evidently our foresome plays at a quicker than average pace because we were dogging the foursome in front of us for 18 holes and the round finished in 4 hours and 5 minutes. There was a gap in front of them of two entire holes that they never closed. They seemed oblivious to pace of play and were in their own world so to speak. We were waiting on every shot and they never got the message nor offered to let us play through. What was aggravating was that they played from the back tees when they should have been playing from the front tees. I'm thinking if any of them broke 100 I would have been surprised. Our group could probably play those 18 holes in around 3 hours, as the course was about 5800 yards from the white tees we played.

Evidently our foresome plays at a quicker than average pace because we were dogging the foursome in front of us for 18 holes and the round finished in 4 hours and 5 minutes. There was a gap in front of them of two entire holes that they never closed. They seemed oblivious to pace of play and were in their own world so to speak. We were waiting on every shot and they never got the message nor offered to let us play through. What was aggravating was that they played from the back tees when they should have been playing from the front tees. I'm thinking if any of them broke 100 I would have been surprised. Our group could probably play those 18 holes in around 3 hours, as the course was about 5800 yards from the white tees we played.

Were you in carts? Why didn't you drive up to them and have a polite chat about playing through? Or catch them when close by? Or call the pro shop?

While a 4 hour round is acceptable, there's no reason the slower group wouldn't let you through. It doesn't matter if you're on pace for a 3 hour round, if the group behind you is faster, let them through.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Were you in carts? Why didn't you drive up to them and have a polite chat about playing through? Or catch them when close by? Or call the pro shop?

It shouldn't come down to that. I don't know where people are learning their golf etiquette, tou should always letthe fastest group through when appropriate.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

It shouldn't come down to that. I don't know where people are learning their golf etiquette, tou should always letthe fastest group through when appropriate.

I don't disagree however it doesn't hurt to be politely assertive when needed... Otherwise you really have no right to complain.

I don't disagree however it doesn't hurt to be politely assertive when needed... Otherwise you really have no right to complain.

I guess we just didn't want to cause any friction by driving up and encouraging them to play faster or letting us play through, but I guess we just chose not to. Golf courses nowadays aren't really that great on sending out a ranger to push golfers along due to possible bad publicity. I think they got the message from us that we were on their tail just by looking back and seeing us all the time, and us looking a bit impatient ready to hit.

I guess we just didn't want to cause any friction by driving up and encouraging them to play faster or letting us play through, but I guess we just chose not to. Golf courses nowadays aren't really that great on sending out a ranger to push golfers along due to possible bad publicity. I think they got the message from us that we were on their tail just by looking back and seeing us all the time, and us looking a bit impatient ready to hit.

I know what you mean but sometimes you gotta make a point. A call to the pro shop is easy.

Also I've seen you and a few others say courses are reluctant to address slow players due to risk of bad publicity. I don't buy that for one second. Slow play can also be bad publicity. Considering the number one reason by a lot that people don't play more golf is time, seems slow play needs to be addressed.

Must be where I live. I have never had to ask to play through a slow group. Around here, if you see a group behind you waiting to hit for very long you just let them through. It's really not that hard.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.