2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Failing to Post Scores- How to Handle?

What would you do if you noticed a fellow league player not posting their scores to GHIN?

Between Bladehunter's posts and some of the results I have seen in my new league, I decided to look up some of the guys histories on GHIN and came across a sub-5 index who has played in 3 league events (where you play your own ball on 5/31, 6/6 & 6/20), but does not have any scores posted to GHIN since June 2017 (including "recent" scores). He is shown as a member at two clubs (but NH until May 15) and his last 20 scores go back to 2015 (with 9 of those being T).

I don't know him and his HC likely isn't too far off (but he has finished in the money both net weeks so those scores could have reduced his index a bit). I have played in leagues where scores get posted for us (so maybe he thinks that is the deal), but our league sheet says to post all your scores yourself.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question and I have the same issue.

On my end we kiddingly say to friends “hey, make sure you enter that score!”, but that’s when dealing with friends. Some of these guys just selectively enter scores for either sandbagging or vanity handicap purposes or they simply forget to do so.

A guy who’s not posting since June of 2017 is definitely an issue. Would love to hear from others.

Never gonna FIX the cheaters......

You're right. Problem is everyone thinks everyone else is bagging so then they do it. Golf being a gentleman's game full of integrity this all makes sense :russian_roulette:

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

Happens all the time and absolutely nothing you can do about it.....Has always been and will always be.....If you have a legit handicap and play in a net league. make up your mind that you are just playing for fun or don't get in the league......I have been playing in our tuesday night 2 man league for many years and have never seen 2 guys with legit h caps win.....Not ever.

If it's a league run by the course, I'd go talk to the pro and find out why they aren't posting the scores.

99% of local pro's are chicken $hi$ and won't say a thing.

If it's a league run by the course, I'd go talk to the pro and find out why they aren't posting the scores.

99% of local pro's are chicken $hi$ and won't say a thing.

That’s too bad. I know both of my courses post all the league scores. Basically any format where the card is turned into the shop for scoring gets posted.

Your choices are

1. Don't play in net events and be happy

2. Can't beat em, join em

3. Work tirelessly to pursue the cheats and get absolutely nowhere.

Looking at the 10 in the money finishers in the 6/6 Individual low net event, 4 have not posted at all and 1 either posted late or with a lower CR. It does not look like anyone had any blow-up holes that they adjusted for (of course, this is the top guys, so fewer adjusts expected, but I have had some good net rounds with an adjust).

Your choices are

1. Don't play in net events and be happy

2. Can't beat em, join em

3. Work tirelessly to pursue the cheats and get absolutely nowhere.

I played with a guy who said there are some guys who deserve to be punched in the nose, so maybe that is option 4. I get that it is hard to do much when guys shoot higher in casual rounds, but not posting league scores seems very brazen (and easy to catch).

This is why I don’t play leagues or tourney any longer....sucks. Got fed up with cheats in gentlemen’s game. Last straw was Bandon tourney few months back where “9 handi” shot 3 mid 70 rounds in wind/rain.

Yup, same here. And lowlifes that feel the need to cheat are not people I want to associate with anyway. Mainly because we live in a so-called 'civilized society' and I'm supposed to refrain from violence. So it's a self-defense mechanism on my part. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Just found another guy who has been in the money the last 2 individual events (6/6 & 6/20) but no scores posted this month. Mid-cap player. He could still post the 6/20 score before the next revision, but failing to post the 6/6 score before 6/15 could have effected his current index.

your on a roll o p. Keep going and you'll get an ulcer or a head ache.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

This is an issue that seems to have no solution. People think everybody else is bagging so they “have to” to compete. And nobody ever thinks they are the “worst” one. I have a prime example. I play regularly with a great player. He carries somewhere around a 1 to 1.5 index. He regularly shoots in the 69-73 range and is a threat for 65-67 every time he tees it up. He has played seven different tournament rounds in the last month at four different courses. He has shot 65, 70, 70, 73, 72, 65, 67.

He gets very offended when people call him out on his handicap. Something along, “I’m already a 1, what more do you want?” Or it’s not nearly as bad as so and so’s. When in reality he probably should be in the +2 to +3 range so he IS as bad as so and so who has 4 or 5 shots of fluff in their cap. It’s frustrating enough to deal with baggers, but it’s even worse when they are brazen and defiant about it.

Happens all the time and absolutely nothing you can do about it.....Has always been and will always be.....If you have a legit handicap and play in a net league. make up your mind that you are just playing for fun or don't get in the league......I have been playing in our tuesday night 2 man league for many years and have never seen 2 guys with legit h caps win.....Not ever.

I long ago gave up hope of winning any sort of legit net event or net league. I play them for fun anyway so I dont even worry about it.

I was called out (mostly in jest) once on a league night I played great this year and I gave the same answer - I cant post solo rounds anymore so if I play 20 rounds in a month, I'm probably only posting 1 or 2. So, whatever, I dont even worry about it.

And yes when it comes to that particular rule, I will be brazen and defiant about it.

That being said, if you're at a club and you're actually someone who cheats the system and thinks you are getting away with it? Trust me, you aren't. We know who you are. You might have won one event or a couple sets of shop credit here and there. But I hope its worth it because behind your back we are all talking about you and no one wants to be teamed with you.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

What would you do if you noticed a fellow league player not posting their scores to GHIN?

Between Bladehunter's posts and some of the results I have seen in my new league, I decided to look up some of the guys histories on GHIN and came across a sub-5 index who has played in 3 league events (where you play your own ball on 5/31, 6/6 & 6/20), but does not have any scores posted to GHIN since June 2017 (including "recent" scores). He is shown as a member at two clubs (but NH until May 15) and his last 20 scores go back to 2015 (with 9 of those being T).

I don't know him and his HC likely isn't too far off (but he has finished in the money both net weeks so those scores could have reduced his index a bit). I have played in leagues where scores get posted for us (so maybe he thinks that is the deal), but our league sheet says to post all your scores yourself.

My advice, print out a copy of the guy's handicap record from Ghin, and go talk to the league admin's. If nothing is done, tack that handicap record up next to the first tee, and write in Sharpie "Is this acceptable for a guy who won money from US?"

There IS something you can do, most people just don't want to put the effort in. Some leagues get the compliance they deserve.

My advice, print out a copy of the guy's handicap record from Ghin, and go talk to the league admin's. If nothing is done, tack that handicap record up next to the first tee, and write in Sharpie "Is this acceptable for a guy who won money from US?"

There IS something you can do, most people just don't want to put the effort in. Some leagues get the compliance they deserve.

So tell us what you do about it?

A group I once played with had a player who "couldn't count." After a warning or two the "commish" informed him that while he was wecome to play with the group he could not compete in our games. He left.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

1. Join the Handicap Committee

2. If none exists, FORM a handicap committee

3. If your "pro" resists that, write to the USGA or your local golf association, tell them there's no committee, ask for an audit of your club.

4. Volunteer to post all league scores yourself

5. Volunteer to administer the league, and enforce handicap posting rules internally, outside of the handicap committee

5. Give up, but at least stop whining if you're not willing to do something

3. If your "pro" resists that, write to the USGA or your local golf association, tell them there's no committee, ask for an audit of your club.

5. Volunteer to administer the league, and enforce handicap posting rules internally, outside of the handicap committee

First off....Not sure i was whining about anything.....Second, i was talking about leagues that are based on players handicaps, not scores from the league. I don't see anything in your list that would help force players to turn in there scores on a day to day basis.....Third....I'm not sure I was whining about anything......Fourth, we have a handicap committee that has no power to force players to turn in scores....Fifth....I agree that it would not be hard to make sure league scores are posted....Sixth, I'm not sure I was whining about anything.

First off....Not sure i was whining about anything.....Second, i was talking about leagues that are based on players handicaps, not scores from the league. I don't see anything in your list that would help force players to turn in there scores on a day to day basis.....Third....I'm not sure I was whining about anything......Fourth, we have a handicap committee that has no power to force players to turn in scores....Fifth....I agree that it would not be hard to make sure league scores are posted....Sixth, I'm not sure I was whining about anything.

An effective handicap committee has several tools to ensure that players turn in scores on a timely basis. The Committee has the authority to post a player's scores for him, they can post penalty scores, they can adjust his official handicap index as they feel appropriate, they can rescind his handicap completely. The Committee has power, if they choose to use it.

For the first bold sentence above, the Committee can form a policy that they will post a score of even par for

As for the whining, I apologize. Its really frustrating when people contend that handicaps are broken, they've always been broken, and they can't be fixed, yet those same people have never actually done anything constructive to try to make the situation better.

I sometimes also feel there's nothing you can do about it except whining and complaining. Never expect anything from the pro because they'll naturally wash their hands, they've got to deal with all the members in the end. In fact it's the kind of situation I can't imagine how to solve because it's been happening since handicaps exist. Guys who don't post their score are the primary reason why handicap systems don't work well. And even though the rules strongly advise against it, it's become commonplace. I think the governing bodies are too passive about it.

In our area, if you are suspected to be cheating, you will be followed by a staff member during the round who will score your round for you. If you do not agree to this, you will be asked to leave.

I like that idea.........but we'd have to increase the staff so much nobody could afford to play.

Honestly it is such an embarrassment it only happens once every 4-5 years. No one wants to be branded as a cheater. Also the Pros at the various local courses keep in contact with each other, if you are caught at one club, you will not be welcome at another one, at least for tournament play. No one would let you in on the morning games either. It is a death sentence to playing competitive golf for our extended (50 miles) area.