Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Just got the irons in the mail today. 4-GW, True Temper Score LT Stiff Flex. Figured this is my first venture in the the Maltby brand. Just decided to go full value so that’s why I went with the Score shafts, $230 built and shipped is a no brainer. Can’t wait to get them in the course next week to give them a go. I included some side by side comparison to my current irons, PXG 0211’s.

R8WH4D0FCBBE.jpeg

B1AD8IJF0XFK.jpeg

0D7MC0JEG7XJ.jpeg

Huge update today. I shafted up a set of PTM blacks with the Prototype Rapid Taper 75 g shafts from Xcaliber. I did a 4, 6. 8 and PW and the 5, 7, 9 and GW were in the Xcaliber Tour x 85. The Tour X is a shaft I know extremely well. The PTM head has been my go to testing and demo head as it's easy to hit and has great feel. But this is my first personal full set. So the direct comparison will give me good info. Problem was I just wanted to hit the Rapid Taper irons again and again. It's so addictive.

It's hard to know where to start. In a word, to describe them.... Effortless. Swinging down and through the ball is such a joy. They just launch the ball with ease and seem to spin just right, tiny hop and stop. Some back up but not overly. Finding the center of the club head was beyond easy. The black irons show a very visible grass stain in the middle of the club after every shot. The feel going through the ball is so unlike any other shaft. It's that great feeling of not even hitting a ball.

A playing partner was an ex mini tour player, full time caddie now. So he knows gear. He immediately turned around and voiced how he didnt even have to look up to know it was a great shot. A few times he let out an OMG THAT FELT GOOD. Problem was on the first few holes everything was flying over the flag. The distance increase is REAL. It took a good six holes before I dialed in the distance.

Speaking of distance I have never had a combo that was so repetitive on hitting it the exact same distance. Never hitting a full set of PTMs I was playing with alignment and hit two balls from every where. Some times more. Distance wise the balls were never more than a few feet. Even the 4 iron was that way. I've had irons be close before but this was unique.

Speaking of 4 iron.. it's been years since I have even carried one.. yet all day long I was launching it all over the course. Pick a spot and let it RIP. A 75g shaft should not work for my 108-110 mph driver swing but it just does.

Hitting the ball cleanly is just such a great feeling. But yet when I hit one a bit fat but still complete the swing, I barely lost any distance. The way this shaft stores and releases energy is just so different. Heavy rough.. no problem. Ball is COMING OUT. I want to be careful to call the shaft forgiving but that certainly comes to mind.

Chipping was tough at first because that half swing with acceleration through LAUNCHES the ball. Green side in heavy rough is a breeze. The stored energy just gets the ball out.

I have to speak of how these respond to a big swing... they dont care how hard you swing them. Easy swing or swing for the fences, they work. They also still go dead straight.

Now I had the 95g Rapod Taper in another PTM 6 iron and it certainly is a much more sturdy shaft. It has more of a solid feel in every way but still that great release of energy. Though the 75 feels looser... I cant say that the 95 plays better. Of the two weights I would naturally fit into the heavier weight but I just dont know if it's the better setup. Just dont have enough time with them.

They are both exceptional and I truly believe they will change the shape of shafts in the future. These shafts are special. 

Looking forward to more of your thoughts on the RT95 iron shaft. I have been playing the original Xcal iron shaft since they came out. Currently in a set of Ping G400. The heads are light and might match up better with a heavier shaft without adding weight. If the 95 doesn't play too stiff, and especially if they come in a constant weight, taper tip set like the 75 does, I'll definitely be getting a set. The new 75 is on the website but not the 95. Any idea when they might be available?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I'm a traditionalist at heart. It's why I loved the MMB heads so much. But I realize I need some help. The TS-2 has as much modern tech as any club. I have put them up against all the high tech heads and they more than hold their own. PXG, TM, Ping... 4 way sole, true forged hollow construction, urethane center, modern lofts and gaps. Its a turf friendly, easy to hit players club. Which covers a huge amount of golfers. Its thick top line is the only thing that keeps more players heading to the TS-1. Forgiveness wise the 2 is hands down easier to hit. Hit it all over the face and its pretty happy.

The PTM are a blend of tradition and modern tech. Still has 4° gapping which is big for me. Smaller topline and minimal offset. A wide sole with a relieved leading edge. Get through the turf really well with no digging. No nonsense look, kind of understated. Has the DBM finish which I love. I found distance consistency to be borderline unreal. Great soft feel. One draw back I have found is to not hit them high on the face.. they hate it.

I was hitting the TS-2 a country mile. It was a little harder for me to cover gaps as my swingspeed is still up there. That's why a 4° spread works far better for me. Even the TS-1s stretch the gap to 4.5°.

My ego wants me to play the MMBs. My head tells me to play the TS-2s. The PTM is a great middle ground. Hope that makes sense.

The PTM is a great head but I replaced them pretty quickly with the TS2 for a few reasons that may or may not matter to someone considering these two heads. Despite what I list below, the PTM is a great head, so don't take these observations as a slam on the PTM:

The PTM blade looks long. It's actually minutely shorter than the TS2 but the proportions make it look longer. That said, the thinner topline is a plus for "most" people (including me before I got used to the TS2). For me, a longer looking blade encourages toe strikes.The short irons, IMO, look too big. This is an ironic "complaint" from me considering my wedges are Hi-Toe, but the look of the PW/GW was never quite "right" to me.The long irons aren't nearly as easy to hit as the TS2. On the sweetspot the PTM is money, but the TS2 is consistently more forgiving in distance retention on misses.The leading edge relief on the PTM is great, but the overall sole grind isn't as effective as the TS2. I notice this mainly early/late season when things get swampy here in the PNW.The TS2 feels better, and performs slightly better, on mishits, especially toe side or slightly high on the face. It's a tie on center strikes...they both feel amazing (but different).The TS2 is longer and spins less for me. This can be a plus or a minus.The PTM goes through the rough a little easier. If I have one complaint about the TS2 it's that shots out of the rough come out consistently too low compared to other irons I've played.As with all things golf, YMMV. Especially considering the price difference, the PTM is a strong contender and an excellent iron design.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

This is truly spot on. Darn near perfect explanation of the two irons. The PTM lean more to the Player profile than Game Improvement. Which is exactly why I enjoy them so much.

Only difference with me is I hit the long irons with better distance control. I have never needed an iron to go further, just more precise in distance given. TS-2s are missiles. and for me it was easy to hit a sexy draw with the long irons.

For some reason I find the center of the face of the PTM about as well as I can remember doing with any design. So I can forgo the added forgiveness of the TS-2. One reason they have been my test iron head.

Without a doubt the TS-2 is a far better design for most golfers.

As a side note and I have given them several rotations in the bag.. i could never fall in love with the TS-1 heads. In Like, but no Love.

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm a hacker who hardly gets to play/practice anymore with a young kid so looking for max forgiveness and max value. I've never played Maltby but it looks like it's hard to beat the value for the quality. I'm really digging the TS-2 because it's an iron I want to be able to hit (if that makes sense), but something like the STi2 or Ke4 probably make more sense. So my heart is saying TS-2, but head is saying STi2/KE4.

I've got plenty of speed to get the ball in the air, I just need something that offers forgiveness when I don't find the center of the face. Even as the most expensive Maltby iron the TS-2 is a steal. If you go with high end shafts through the Custom Shop you're still only paying 50%-60% what you would pay for a brand new set of P790s.

My experience is the TS2 is more forgiving than the PTM on the toe and high on the face, and the PTM is more forgiving thin. If your miss is heel side, it's a tie.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

My head to head comparison is on page 15 of this thread of you missed it, with some follow up regarding feel/performance on thin strikes on the following pages.

Yes they are. The TS2 are far more forgiving but in subtle ways. Add them all up and it's no contest.

The MMB is a very forgiving blade. The PTM is a big leap in forgiveness from the MMB. Its mid size and wider sole, releaved edge make it still a player-ish club.

The TS2 has a more pronounced 4 way sole and wider. Has a face that can be hit all over the place and still produce results. Center contact on the TS2 makes it feel like you hit a marsh mellow. The PTM is all of the TS2 attributes to a lesser degree. So for me being just above a scratch player I find the PTM to be ideal. Throw in the 4° gap?? I knew I loved it as a test club but didn't know I would enjoy it through the set.

I do have to make an adjustment with my wedges. I need 52° and a 56°, which are on the way. The GW of the PTM is 48° my 54 and 58 left an awkward spot in the bag.

I had noticed the thin contact forgiveness yesterday. I hit two yesterday on the very thin side that I knew for sure they were a bad shot but still found the green. I groaned after both swings and my playing partners asked both times what the heck was I complaining about.

The PTM 4 iron has been outstanding. Its paired up with the Xcaliber Rapid Taper. From 205-210 I'm finding every fairway. I'm also putting it on, or right beside the green every time. Its 22° and my game has not been there for that aggressive of an iron. Now, I'm making that shot look easy. I'm carrying an FDI 3-21°,, but that has not left the bag in 4 rounds.

I was able to get the STi2's in play today for 18. Not a bad iron at all. Current irons are PXG 0211's, 4-GW.

The STi2's were close to a 1/2 club to full club longer in the shorter irons. 4/5/6 were pretty much the same distance from what I could tell.

I posted comparison pictures earlier in the thread, pretty much same sized iron, the Maltby's are a degree weaker but yet they flew further.

Turf interaction was really good with the Maltby's, especially out of the rough. Irons are hit and stop within a few feet of it's pitch mark. High flight and good descent angle with the True Temper Score shafts.

I was able to shape a few shots with no issue, irons are extremely forgiving as well.

Feel wise there is obviously no comparison to the PXG's, the STi2's felt a little harsh and sounded clicky, not terribly bad but my last 2 sets of irons were Srixon z585's and obviously the 0211's now, so that plays a big part in the feeling for me.

I mean, for the money, they are absolutely amazing and have to be unrivaled in terms of cost and performance. $230 built and shipped for a 4-GW irons set, that’s insane! I would imagine pairing a better shaft with the head I would have had even better results. I went for straight up value/cheapest cost with the Trus Temper Score shafts This is my first venture into a Maltby iron, I'm impressed, I am going to order a TS2 7 iron to give it a go, seems more like my cup of tee.

If anyone is looking for a super game improvement but in a more compact head these would be a good option.

Spent some time in the simulator today. Its happened all week and again today by several people. People constantly remark how great the PTM Rapid Taper combination sounds.

Today someone stopped me after a few swings and had to ask what I was hitting. He said he has never heard such a pure ball striking sound. Outdoors they were commenting in the same way. How the ball just sounded like it was crushed. I hadn't notice how frequent it was till today. Its happened every time I have had them out.

Have not heard that with any other setup.