Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Golfworks will not be selling them. Right now it will be dealer only. I plan to sell them to any one who wants them.

Becoming a dealer is fairly easy. A one time 500 purchase. Or two at 250.

I'm trying to convince him to forego the dealer only option. But he wants to support the fitters who have supported him for so many years.

As for me I have a mixed bag of shafts. I moved on from the Dynamic Gold 105. Still love them but need to have the better on the joints graphite shafts. My set now has a mix of the Pro X 85g and the Rapid Raper 75g.

75g is in my PW, 8i, 6i 4i and the 2 FDI.

Ill switch over to all Rapid Taper eventually. The feel and performance just can't be beat. The Pro X is a close second and is a great bridge between a steel shaft and graphite. The Pro X has woven steel blended with graphite.

The new Avalon i8 and I9 are upgraded Pro Xs and they are friggin gorgeous. Its a red and black translucent finish. . So ill have a set made up in those eventually.

I also have a Rapid Taper in a Sim driver. Its hasn't been the leap in performance that the iron shafts have been but feel and dispersion is excellent. Better than all other combinations I've tried. A few other testers love them as well. They really seem to tame down everyones miss.. Just don't know if they will ever have that genie in a bottle like the irons.

So I have been playing the PTM Forged for 2 or 3 years now with PX 6.0 flighted shafts which I had also played in my previous set of Mizuno MP-67s. I played better overall back when I was playing the MP-67s but feel the PTMs are more forgiving when it comes to hitting them the same distance from any mishits..especially my miss, toward the toe.

So wanting to go back to more of a player's club, I was interested in the TS1s. I found a set of them on Golfworks with KBS Tour 105 S shafts and Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips for the same price as the heads only, so I pulled the trigger..

I brought them out to the course one day but it was not a good time to test them, I was struggling and was having trouble with my swing. Still, my feeling was that I might be able to adapt to the lighter weight shaft but the flex is way too weak. I strike the ground pretty hard and the vibration between the two shafts are way different. I think the PX shaft is better as far as flex but might benefit with slightly lighter shafts. I just don't have the financial flexibility to try different shafts so have to go with one or the other. Pretty sure I need to test the TS1s out more with the KBS but that I will prefer the PXs.

Then there is the difference in the sole grind, where the PTMs are wide and have a ton of bounce and the TS1s are narrower but still have a forgiving grind. I hit the PTMs thin a lot more than the MP-67s but those shots end up pretty good. I'm not sure I liked the feel of the TS1s and know I will have to adapt to the different sole grind.

So I am between keeping the PTMs in the bag and returning the TS1s... or switching the shafts out and playing the TS1s with the PTM shafts.

Popeye, I know you have experience with all of the Maltby Irons, do you (or anybody else with experience with these irons) have any advice? Thanks!

Driver - Cobra F8+ Black 11* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 76g Stiff
3 wood- TEE EX9 15*, Matrix Ozik MFS 75M4 Black Tie 75g Stiff
7 wood- Maltby UFW 21*, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 95x (-.5")
4I-GW - Maltby TS1 Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
56.12 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 7.0 Flighted (8i)
60.08 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
Putter - TaylorMade Classic 79 TM-880

I had issues with the TS-1’s when I first got them, they just felt off and I was regretting the purchase. I decided to added some lead tape to them and WOW! They are an entirely different club!!!! And I’m in love! I think the KBS shafts I choose felt too light, but now they are just right. I did have to play around with the lead tape to find the feel I was looking for, but once I got the correct weight to each club they flat out perform. Might want to give that a try.

Golf4lifer, thanks I will have to try that. Which KBS Tour Shafts did you get and are they .355 or .370?

Sorry if too many questions, just trying to get as much information as I can.

OK, thanks. The shafts that came with mine are .370 which I heard are softer than the .355 in this line of shafts (Tour 105).. I figured I would try them and the grips free considering they all came just at the cost of the heads.

I am probably somewhere between 100 - 110 swing speed with the driver. Steeper iron swing, hit the ground pretty hard with irons so think I will give them another try or two with the KBS shafts, then decide between returning them or experiment with putting the TS1s in the PX shafts and going from there.

I will say that I love the shape of the PTMs. If they were to make a slightly smaller players version that is more workable and with a little less bounce, that might be the best irons I could think of.

First off, how did you get that great deal at Golfworks on a built set for the cost of heads only??

I'm actually not a fan of the KBS Tour 105 shafts. I found they had terrible feel and just could not seem to get along with them

Like you my swing speed is very close to yours and I hit down on the ball pretty well.

I would give the KBS shafts a little more time and make sure you were not just having a bad day. I eventually switched the TS-1s to the DG 105 shafts and was far happier. In the long run I moved on from the TS-1s because they were jekyll and Hyde for me.

Since putting the PTM blacks in play I've been lighting it up. If I could just get the putter going.

Any of the forged clubs that are non DBM will adjust fairly easily. I did some TS-2s at 2° up and had no issues at all.

I did heat up some DBMs quite a while ago when I was putting them all to spec. It was all minor adjustments so I had no issues but you really gotta bump them a little at a time to get them to move. Supposedly they can snap easily with that finish.

Do you notice a difference in distance between the TS1s and PTMs? I have a separate TS1 4 iron on a PX 6.0 flighted shaft and it seems to go about 10 yards further than the PTM, wondering if you have found this as well. Also, do the iron distances gap the same way they do with the PTMs? I know the loft progression is different between the two.

The PtM starts at 48° GW and goes 4° from there. The TS-1s start at 49.5 GW. Those gaps are 4.5° for a while and then start shrinking. So its kind of tough to compare them.. but

If i compare 9 irons I hit the PTMs further than the .5° difference would indicate. The steady 4° gaps work out far better for me. I did have to change my wedges to a 52 and a 56. That carrys the 4° gapping even further.

As for the top of the bag I don't see a huge difference comparing 4 irons.

As comparison i could hit the TS-2 5 iron as long as both the PTM and the TS-1 4 irons

Enabler.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I found those clubs by accident under the deal section at Golf Works. My brother bought the TS -1 and I bought the 2s. The shaft weight is good for me and I was going to put Golf Pride wrap grips on anyway.

However this did scotch my plans to build my first set of irons. I bought a dozen Nippon 1050 shafts at a ridiculously low price. I still may by a set of PTM heads and assemble them. I built up a PTM 8iron as a practice club and put it in the bag. Tons of confidence in wet soggy conditions.

Popeye, thank you for turning me on to Maltby clubs.

I’d been putting it off - but 20% off custom shop clubs at the golfworks this weekend was too good to pass up. Pulled the trigged on 4-6 TS-2, 7-GW TS-1 with modus 120S. I am beyond excited. First new Iron set since 2011.

Anyone done an order since the custom shop opened at Golfworks? Any expectations on delivery time?

@Paintman Just call me an enabler. But honestly i have put recent Maltby gear against all the OEMs. The difference in performance is minute one way or the other as to which is better. Why on earth people are paying 3 times the cost is beyond me. If you cant find a set of Maltby heads to fall in love with you'll never find a set of clubs you love. I sell enough gear on the side to pay for my addiction.

d4c84649-1f07-417d-9e4c-7c8c107fe99e.jpeg

bae7a5db-8f62-4458-b2bd-8a2b18e40d9c.jpegGot the TS2’s 4-GW with KBS Tour 105 S parallel shafts on the course today for the first time. Comparing them to them to my new set, current set the 2020 Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW irons with $-Taper 115g S parallel shafts.

First impression on looks, they look way better in person compared to their website photos. That’s been stated a few times but I’m not sure why that just can’t take better photos? They have a bit of a chunkier topline than the Cobras but appear to have the same iron length and offset. I prefer the sleeker look of the Cobra’s but these aren’t bad at all.

Feel and sound, they are good. Nice and soft yet a firm feel, not clicky at all. Not near as good as the Cobra’s in terms of sound and feel but not bad any any means. I just think the cobras are superior in that aspect, and the sound the Forged Tec have are very appealing to me.

Performance throughout the TS2 set was just great. In terms of flight 7-PW launched higher than the Cobra’s, had a steeper descent angle and spun just as well. There is no argument that the performance matched if not exceeded the Cobra irons. Distance wise they were nearly identical. TS2’s just wanted to go straight, not as easily workable. The one thing I had issue with the TS2’s were trying to draw(my natural iron flight) the ball throughout the set which led to missed greens, once I take time on the range and a couple more rounds the adjustment would be a minor one. One more small thing I noticed were the long irons did not launch as high as the Cobras and seemed slightly shorter, obviously need more time to compare.

Bottom line, you can’t argue that these are just as good as the big equipment companies but a fraction of the cost. 2020 Forged Tec’s are $1099 4-PW. The Maltby TS2’s 4-GW cost me $399 for a prebuilt set. If brand names really matter to you you’re never going to be attracted to the Maltby Brand. If pure performance and cost effectiveness matter, Maltby irons are freaking awesome. I’m at the point where I don’t care what brand I have in my bag, I’m just playing what works. I’ll need a few more rounds before I make a decision. If I went with the Maltby’s the money from the sale of the Cobra’s would allow me to hoe out on other things. Really impressed for an initial round.

• Like 1

Still love my TS1s. My miss is heel side and thin. I am amazed at how some of the misses turn up so well. I tried p790ti and a couple other TM heads at a demo day and did not like them anywhere near TS1. I am one of the odd ones that hits TS1 better than TS2, despite being a high handicap.

I built a STI2 5 iron up and it is pretty nice as well. I like it more than the TS2, looks a little thinner in the top line but still chunkier than TS1. Haven't done enough testing to see if it has enough added forgiveness to kick the TS1 out for the 5iron spot. I may get an STI2 3 or 4 iron and see if it can kick out my F9 hybrid, but I think I need the one hybrid in the bag, so not sure I can make the excuse to by another Maltby club right now.